post #121 of 161 Old 02-13-2012, 11:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by LL3HD View Post

Audio mix for the birds tonight Listen to The End with the drum solo. As soon as the guitar wars begin the base drops out. Poor audio mix. What's it set for auto?

I think that was because Joe Walsh's guitar was cranked up and completely blew the mix. Great to see the old warhorses still let it rip, though.

And that drummer is great!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 161 Old 02-13-2012, 11:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by ll3hd View Post

no, i agree. And she has a good voice but this rendition makes you realize how great wh voice was.

+1

neflixis our nemesis
post #123 of 161 Old 02-13-2012, 12:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeewing View Post

By the way, I thought it was a little bit of a heart breaking moment at the end of Glen Campbell's "Rhinestone Cowboy". They didn't shut off his mic and you could hear him asking which direction to get off stage.

I wish he had played "Wichita Lineman". That's my personal favorite.

Was that a sign of his illness? I don't know. I've seen tons of performers accepting awards not knowing where to go and having to be literally ushered off the stage! He said in an interview he doesn't have any signs off the illness yet which makes me wonder how the condition was diagnosed.
post #124 of 161 Old 02-13-2012, 12:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyehill View Post

Not sure why some people got bad audio, but other than a few technical glitches it sounded great to me.

Highs for me:
Adele
Foo Fighters (not involved in the rave)
Bruce
Taylor Swift
Coldplay without Rihanna
Bruno Mars (probably the most energetic performance of the night)
Tribute to Glen Campbell
Aldean and Kelly Clarkson
Bonnie Raitt and Alicia Keys' tribute to Etta James. Much more tasteful than Christina Aguilera's was last week
Katy Perry's bouncing boobs

Lows for me:
The entire idiotic dance/rave section
Nicki Minaj. Seriously, WTF was that?
Anything involving Chris Brown
Anything involving Paul McCartney. He's really showing his age
Lady Gaga's outfit. Seriously, sweetie, we get that you're a moron.
Rihanna semi-singing her own song (and I like the song)
Rihanna actually singing with Coldplay. Shows you why she lip-synchs most of the time
Jennifer Hudson's tribute to Whitney. Sorry, didn't enjoy it.
Taylor Swift's woe-as-me attitude that she seemingly affects after every performance. Good song, stupid reaction.

Which if any artists used lip syncing during their performances? Does the Grammys allow lip syncing? Up to the discretion of each performer?
post #125 of 161 Old 02-13-2012, 12:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Except for the terrible tribute to club music, it was one of the fastest moving awards shows that I think I've ever watched. Is it just me or do they not give out all that many awards at the Grammys? I think I can remember 5 or 6.

Apparently Kanye West led the nominations with seven, and he wasn't even present. Did his name come up in the show?
post #126 of 161 Old 02-13-2012, 12:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Waaaaay too many commercials (40-50%). I timed program and commercial segments lengths for a while and found them to be 5-6 minutes each. Ridiculous!
post #127 of 161 Old 02-13-2012, 12:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by R11 View Post

Nearly non-existent lfe bass at my house via comcast in PDX. I even stopped to check my calibration at one point.

ron

Yep, nothing! The sound was definitely off and it wasn't local providers.
post #128 of 161 Old 02-13-2012, 12:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked: 606
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldorfSalad View Post

Waaaaay too many commercials (40-50%). I timed program and commercial segments lengths for a while and found them to be 5-6 minutes each. Ridiculous!

You'd expect the commercial load to be large. These types of live awards shows are some of the few left that people are likely to watch in real time. They're going to milk that for all it's worth.

Besides, they probably needed every minute of every network cutaway they could get to re-set the stages for the next acts.
post #129 of 161 Old 02-13-2012, 12:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by igreg View Post

Apparently Kanye West lead the nominations with seven, and he wasn't even present. Did his name come up in the show?

Yeah, He and JZ won an award together and it was the embarrassing stock reply "they're not here tonight so on behalf of them we accept.." Looked like a major disrespect to the Grammys to me but I have no idea what their schedule is.

Larry

I thought we were cool de la?
post #130 of 161 Old 02-13-2012, 01:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 177
Quote:

Waaaaay too many commercials (40-50%).

I think they got more than their share in. I started it commercial delayed (at least I thought I allowed enough time) and I easily got to live with over a half hour left. Although I was thinking it was only 3 hours.
post #131 of 161 Old 02-13-2012, 01:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked: 609
Quote:

Was that a sign of his illness? I don't know. I've seen tons of performers accepting awards not knowing where to go and having to be literally ushered off the stage! He said in an interview he doesn't have any signs off the illness yet which makes me wonder how the condition was diagnosed.

Like you said, many need to be guided off stage .. not a sign of anything, really ..

I saw Campbell on his farewell tour .. he was visibly confused at times / hit several wrong chords and attemted to play the same song more than once .. his family, particularly his daughter, were very good at working through it .. and the audience was quite supportive as well ... I would say he is certainly showing signs, unfortunately ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #132 of 161 Old 02-13-2012, 01:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Quote:

Nearly non-existent lfe bass at my house via comcast in PDX. I even stopped to check my calibration at one point.

ron

LFE isn't really needed for music. There was very little, if any LFE, the bass was all mixed in the main channels.
post #133 of 161 Old 02-13-2012, 01:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by LL3HD View Post

not into it. Don't know how they got the FF in that mix. And what's with the techno Mickey? Looks like the mouse got taken over by a Japanese anime gang.

That would be techno artist/producer Deadmau5.

As to the Foos relation, on the deluxe edition of Wasting Light, there is a Deadmau5 remix of the first single Rope among the bonus tracks, which is what was the Foos live performance of said song morphed into at verse two of the song

Money does not buy happiness. It can, however, buy you a giant boat that you can pull up alongside happiness. - David Lee Roth

post #134 of 161 Old 02-13-2012, 02:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:

Which if any artists used lip syncing during their performances? Does the Grammys allow lip syncing? Up to the discretion of each performer?

Rihanna very clearly lip-synched most of her first song. Reminded me of X Factor. She pulled her mic away quite often to dance and her voice kept going.

My favorite speech of the night came from Dave Grohl. Talking about the importance of learning how to play an instrument and to sing live, flaws and all.
post #135 of 161 Old 02-13-2012, 02:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwebb1970 View Post

As to the Foos relation, on the deluxe edition of Wasting Light, there is a Deadmau5 remix of the first single Rope among the bonus tracks, which is what was the Foos live performance of said song morphed into at verse two of the song

with fingers loosening my collar a-la Johnny, I did not know that. Thanks.

Larry

I thought we were cool de la?
post #136 of 161 Old 02-13-2012, 02:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Quote:

I used them to come on here!

ISF calibrated by Eliab - and lovin' it!

My DVD Profiler
post #137 of 161 Old 02-13-2012, 02:22 PM
R11
AVS Special Member

Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by primetimeguy View Post

LFE isn't really needed for music. There was very little, if any LFE, the bass was all mixed in the main channels.

I was simply referring to the lfe channel. Depending on how you have your system set up there can be lots of action in the sub from music. If it was indeed mixed to avoid the sub it was a very limp mix...

ron
post #138 of 161 Old 02-13-2012, 02:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

My favorite speech of the night came from Dave Grohl. Talking about the importance of learning how to play an instrument and to sing live, flaws and all.

Same here. Just think if the kids spent as much time learning to play guitar as they do playing simulated guitar games.

ISF calibrated by Eliab - and lovin' it!

My DVD Profiler
post #139 of 161 Old 02-13-2012, 02:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Quote:

I was simply referring to the lfe channel. Depending on how you have your system set up there can be lots of action in the sub from music. If it was indeed mixed to avoid the sub it was a very limp mix...

ron

Right, the LFE channel had next to nothing in it, which is the true .1 discrete channel. If you crossover over your speakers to the subwoofer that is different and you would have bass coming from your subwoofer but still no LFE content since none existed.

I thought the mix was superb. Sure it could have had just a tad more bass, but considering all that goes into this and the fact it was live, it was great.
post #140 of 161 Old 02-13-2012, 02:34 PM
R11
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwebb1970 View Post

I had never heard of Deadmau5 until someone posted in the Grimm thread a while back that the DJ Wretched Cat character in an episode was a take off on him. Having seen both now I'd say that was definitely the case. DJ Wretched Cat would chew Deadmau5 up (and leave him on the front porch ).

ron
post #141 of 161 Old 02-13-2012, 02:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:

I don't know if this is the case here, but one thing to keep in mind generally is that with the exception of FOX, the local affiliate can have a HUGE impact on what you hear. I have access to a couple of different CBS affiliates for example, and I can tell you that there is gigantic and unsubtle difference between the two. One is highly limited/compressed and sounds very thin and shrill, while the other has nice dynamics, no audible AGC, and a smooth, flat sound.

Comparing the music on "Late Night with David Letterman," it amazing how the kick drum is virtually non-existent on the one affiliate -- it's like it was omitted from the mix. Both stations receive the same audio, but what happens to it after that is very different.
post #142 of 161 Old 02-13-2012, 02:43 PM
R11
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by videojanitor View Post

I don't know if this is the case here, but one thing to keep in mind generally is that with the exception of FOX, the local affiliate can have a HUGE impact on what you hear. I have access to a couple of different CBS affiliates for example, and I can tell you that there is gigantic and unsubtle difference between the two. One is highly limited/compressed and sounds very thin and shrill, while the other has nice dynamics, no audible AGC, and a smooth, flat sound.

Comparing the music on "Late Night with David Letterman," it amazing how the kick drum is virtually non-existent on the one affiliate -- it's like it was omitted from the mix. Both stations receive the same audio, but what happens to it after that is very different.

Certainly. I don't recall past Grammys on our CBS affilliate sounding like that but that doesn't mean it wasn't the case . It definitely popped out (or rather didn't) at me last night though.

ron
post #143 of 161 Old 02-13-2012, 02:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Certainly. I don't recall past Grammys on our CBS affilliate sounding like that but that doesn't mean it wasn't the case . It definitely popped out (or rather didn't) at me last night though.

ron

Our local CBS affiliate has been broadcasting 2 ch Dolby Digital (according to my receiver) on its HD feed for years. Same situation both as a former DirecTv customer & a current Comcast subscriber. AFAIK, those getting it via OTA also get 2 ch audio. They are also the last holdout in the switch to local HD news.

OTOH, pull up an HD episode of, say, Hawaii-Five-0 or HIMYM via Comcast OnDemand & your get DD 5.1. Between this & marginally better video quallity, we no longer record the 2-3 CBS shows the wife & I watch. Just give Comcast 24 hrs & the programming is available.

Money does not buy happiness. It can, however, buy you a giant boat that you can pull up alongside happiness. - David Lee Roth

post #144 of 161 Old 02-13-2012, 03:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxman View Post

Same here. Just think if the kids spent as much time learning to play guitar as they do playing simulated guitar games.

Since getting back into playing guitar after years of not (I played in semi-pro bands throughout the 80s/90s) and in doing so, visiting the local Guitar Center quite a bit as of late....there is no lack of teenagers bashing on actual guitars in 2012.

While the sound of an out of tune guitar thru a buzzy solid state amplifier at full volume in a music store showroom can be grating, it also puts a smile on my face knowing there are members of the next generation that are chasing their rock & roll fantasies the way I did. I know I was one of those annoying brats @ the local music store back around 1981/82, badly slaughtering Eddie Van Halen & Randy Rhoades licks..

I do agree w/ Grohl's sentiment about "real" music, however. Some have bashed his comment, considering the Foos involvement w/ the dance club section. In the defense of artists such as Deadmau5, at least the guy is actually "playing" - i.e manipulating synths, turntables, samplers, etc., live along with sequenced tracks as opposed to some pop tart lip syncing to an auto-tuned studio vocal - the latter being what I think Grohl was referring to.

post #145 of 161 Old 02-13-2012, 04:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 47
what was that horrific feedback like sound during, i think, katy perrry's act. was it a screwup or intentional as once things cleared up she was way up in the air?

neflixis our nemesis
post #146 of 161 Old 02-13-2012, 04:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post

Like you said, many need to be guided off stage .. not a sign of anything, really ..

I saw Campbell on his farewell tour .. he was visibly confused at times / hit several wrong chords and attemted to play the same song more than once .. his family, particularly his daughter, were very good at working through it .. and the audience was quite supportive as well ... I would say he is certainly showing signs, unfortunately ..

I had heard that he was fine when he started to play a song, but that his illness was definitely making it a challenge for him on and off the stage. Maybe it just stuck out to me since I was aware of his illness. My dad had Alzeihemers' and it's a nasty unforgiving disease.
post #147 of 161 Old 02-13-2012, 04:31 PM

Quote:

Rihanna very clearly lip-synched most of her first song. Reminded me of X Factor. She pulled her mic away quite often to dance and her voice kept going.

Didn't sound or look like she was lip-synching to me. She clearly had a backing track, but her part would drop out every time she pulled away the mic.
post #148 of 161 Old 02-13-2012, 05:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Here's another compliment to LL Cools MC job.. They should use him every year. Great job!! The original song of "I Will Always Love You" was written and sung by Dolly Parton but Whitney sang it better.. Who was the guy with the Mickey head?

post #149 of 161 Old 02-13-2012, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxman48 View Post

.Who was the guy with the Mickey head?

that is Deadmau5

Audio Engineer
------------------------
The Conservatory of Recording Arts and Sciences
post #150 of 161 Old 02-13-2012, 07:43 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 18
Quote:

Lows for me:
Lady Gaga's outfit. Seriously, sweetie, we get that you're a moron.

Seriously, every time they showed her I had to call her an idiot. She couldn't close her mouth or eyes with the stupid thing on her face.

But at least she has actual talent and can sing. Nicki Minaj tries to be lady gaga but has no talent.

Bruno Mars, Adele singing and snotting in her speech, Foster The People singing Beach Boys, and Dave Grohl going HAM on his guitar at the end were my favorite parts. Oh, and Jason Aldean's mic going out during his song with Kelly Clarkson. I pray for that to happen every time I see them perform it, and it finally happened.

My least favorite (annoying yet funny) was Taylor Swift doing her impression of Kristin Wiig's impression of Taylor Swift. (Acting shocked at everything happening around her)

Also, watching a DJ stand there for 5 minutes while crappy club music plays is not fun for anyone. I can see if you're on ecstasy and you're at the actual club, but a camera on a DJ, not good TV.
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page