Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 02-18-2012, 01:33 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
God bless the Houston family,
"Bounce TV" and Free OTA HDTV for making it possible for so many people to witness the service honoring
an exceptional American, a great woman of faith & love, and once in a lifetime talent
Whitney Elizabeth Houston.

You touched the world with your voice and heart.
May God grant you everlasting joy & peace in His choir in Heaven.

Broadcast TV - a vital national public resource

Save Free HDTV: Facebook Page

Just say "no" to a never-ending subscription TV bill that increases faster than the rate of inflation.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 02-18-2012, 02:20 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 222
Gotta say, I caught most of this on FNC and HLN and a little bit on BET. Kind of wish they'd had enough lead time to trot out a full sports production truck for this. But, camera angles aside, I thoroughly enjoyed the service (if enjoyed is the proper term). Brought up Baptist with a lot of time spent in Black Baptist churches, I was really comfortable.

Highlight for me had to be Kevin Costner's stories. Dionne Warwick was a very elegant mistress of ceremonies. Can't believe Aretha Franklin didn't make it.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
post #3 of 5 Old 02-18-2012, 03:49 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDon View Post

Gotta say, I caught most of this on FNC and HLN and a little bit on BET. Kind of wish they'd had enough lead time to trot out a full sports production truck for this. But, camera angles aside, I thoroughly enjoyed the service (if enjoyed is the proper term). Brought up Baptist with a lot of time spent in Black Baptist churches, I was really comfortable.

Highlight for me had to be Kevin Costner's stories. Dionne Warwick was a very elegant mistress of ceremonies. Can't believe Aretha Franklin didn't make it.

If you are referring to the SINGLE CAMERA producton, that was done at the request of the Houston family. In additon, the service was originally to be streaming only.

The broadcast was done well considering the limitations. This cannot be placed in comparsion to what was done for MJ. I also think being in the hometown church as opposed to the Prudential Center was the right decision.

The only bad thing was the dispute between the Houston family and Bobby Brown. It cast such a negative light on everything.
post #4 of 5 Old 02-18-2012, 11:47 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

Kind of wish they'd had enough lead time to trot out a full sports production truck for this.

Agreed, this was an important national event and a teachable moment especially for the younger generation. Per Marshall McLuhan, "The media is the message."

Kevin Costner' stories showed how much pressure entertainers experience every time they perform. It is not an occupation for the faint of heart.

Whitney's bodyguard also conveyed how much of her personal life was sacrificed to entertain the public. He suggested that we should not just buy a ticket. We should show some love.

Quote:

Dionne Warwick was a very elegant mistress of ceremonies.

Yes, Dionne is a classy lady and an excellent role model.

I understand from news reports Aretha Franklin was not well on Saturday. I recall hearing in the national news she has had health issues for some time. The emotional toll of Whitney's passing probably exacerbated these issues.

Broadcast TV - a vital national public resource

Save Free HDTV: Facebook Page

Just say "no" to a never-ending subscription TV bill that increases faster than the rate of inflation.
post #5 of 5 Old 02-19-2012, 05:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 30
I saw it on local Bounce, but was not watching from home; is B available in HD? I suspected it was streamed, as it looked a bit blurry/compressed. At least one other camera would've been nice, or an onscreen picture of Houston to cut to while the camera was repositioned.

"But I didn't do it...!"
"I knew you'd say that"...*BLAM!*
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page