post #61 of 107 Old 02-28-2012, 11:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan View Post

It certainly was, too bad Patrick was taken out of the race by the 2nd lap, I would have liked to have seen what she could do.

Yes, she had a rough weekend.

I don't understand why she is only running a 10 race Sprint Cup schedule, but a full Nationwide schedule. If you're going to dive into the deep end of the pool....

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 107 Old 02-28-2012, 12:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 35
I don't think Go Daddy is willing to pay what is needed to run a full Sprint Cup season. They never fully sponsored Mark Martin's car the last 2 years either. They shared it with other sponsors.

Plus running the Nationwide series allows her to run towards the front more and get more confidence. If she ran only the Cup races and ran 30th every week, which she would, it would devestate what base she has so far.
post #63 of 107 Old 02-28-2012, 12:11 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 403 Post(s)
Liked: 428
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken H View Post

Yes, she had a rough weekend.

I don't understand why she is only running a 10 race Sprint Cup schedule, but a full Nationwide schedule. If you're going to dive into the deep end of the pool....

To gain experience in the much heavier vehicles? I don't know, but she doesn't race another Sprint race until May. Maybe it's to try and promote the Nationwide series some before she moves to Sprint full time, there's no question she's a big draw.
post #64 of 107 Old 02-28-2012, 12:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 211
Quote:

"Our goal with Danica's schedule is to try and maximize her 10 races with us so that she's as prepared as she can possibly be for a full-time Sprint Cup schedule in 2013," said Stewart, co-owner of SHR with Gene Haas, founder of Haas Automation - the largest machine tool manufacturer in the western world. "In the GoDaddy.com Chevrolet, she'll handle short tracks, intermediate 1.5-mile ovals, and some unique tracks like Darlington and Phoenix. The point is to expose her to as many challenges as possible so that she'll know what to expect in 2013.

"Between our schedule and her full Nationwide Series schedule for JR Motorsports, Danica will gain a lot of experience quickly. At the same time, we'll monitor her progress, and if we feel there's a particular venue or style of track where more seat time would be beneficial, we have two races where we can call an audible and enter her in those events."

My take is she needs some time for her own experience and to be accepted by the good ole boys (although most are 19 nowadays ). Plus, if Stewart is going to take her on full-time it takes a while to scale up a full-time team. This year they threw together several deals to get her a temporary ride. I believe someone else is driving the car in the other events.
post #65 of 107 Old 02-28-2012, 12:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamieva View Post

Plus running the Nationwide series allows her to run towards the front more and get more confidence. If she ran only the Cup races and ran 30th every week, which she would, it would devestate what base she has so far.

What makes you think she'd run ~30th every week? Do you think she is that bad?

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

post #66 of 107 Old 02-28-2012, 12:43 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 403 Post(s)
Liked: 428
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post

Plus, if Stewart is going to take her on full-time it takes a while to scale up a full-time team. This year they threw together several deals to get her a temporary ride. I believe someone else is driving the car in the other events.

Good points as both teams are new relatively speaking, it's not like she hopped into a Hendrick car for example.
post #67 of 107 Old 02-28-2012, 12:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 89
^^^

yup...

10 is probably enough... i'm a big danica fan, but i think that they are making the right decision by putting her only in a few cup races at this time... the full nationwide sched will be "enough" on her plate... that's already significantly "more races" than she is used to running...

isn't reutimann in the seat for the rest of the races (the ones they are planning on running, anyway)?

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

post #68 of 107 Old 02-28-2012, 12:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Hello. My name is Juan Pablo Montoya. You dried my race track. Prepare to die.

All opinions expressed (unless otherwise noted) are the posters and NOT the posters employers. The poster in NO WAY is/will speak for his employers.
post #69 of 107 Old 02-28-2012, 01:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

i'm thinking that had to be one of the all-time "holy crap this ain't gonna be good" moments for jpm...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

post #70 of 107 Old 02-28-2012, 01:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

It's open to great debate how much your driving talent comes into play as to where you finish. If you look at her Indy car career she was an average driver. She had little talent on the road courses and her ability to translate how the car needs to be setup was weak. Often Tony Kanaan and others would more or less setup her car... duplicating their setup on her car.

On ovals she held her own. Although during several of her earlier years her team had the best cars and her teammates were winning races and she was middle of the pack (within the first-tier teams). In her later years she didn't have the cars to compete for wins.

In Nascar I think the driver's ability to know what the car needs regarding setup is rather important and I don't see her being able to accomplish that any time soon. Now, if you just throw her into a car and say drive yeah I think she's a fine driver... perhaps average for the series with a few years under her belt. Average can win a race or two with some luck or a really fast car.

My take is it would be surprising to see her make the Chase anytime soon (if ever?) Nationwide might be another story (as the car shines more) and I hope she does well. I don't think it's fair to judge her as either a winner or loser... rather she is a talented race driver.
post #71 of 107 Old 02-28-2012, 02:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I'm an Indy Car fan and I will say that her 'persona' overwhelms the driver, especially when it comes to TV coverage. It was actually a relief last year when it was announced that she was leaving and going to the slow cars. For 2011 the series didn't promote the heck out of her like they had done all of those previous seasons and treated her like a regular driver. To tell you the truth I like her more last year than any other year.

No for those who would say that she's just a pretty face and not a driver, they are wrong. She can drive. Even on road courses. I'd watch and she'd be running 15 - 19th all day, but in the final running order she'd somehow manage to claw up to 8th in the final pit cycle. She rarely threatened to win, but did on occasion, and frequently posted solid top 10 finishes. Thats nothing to snear at.

I think that she'll be like Dale Jr is now, very successful in popularity, but with scattered results.

Going to sign up for Dish Network? PM me for a ClubDish referral number that will give you a $50 credit on your first bill.
post #72 of 107 Old 02-28-2012, 03:10 PM
FOH
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj View Post

holy crap!!!

man, jpm (and the driver of the truck) is REALLY lucky to walk away from that one....

+1

Absolutely, incredibly lucky for sure. Reminded me of some of the classic Indy 500 fire-ball crashes of the '60s. A driver's worst fear is fire, had JPM's car become entangled, or had the truck operator not been able to get out quickly enough, ...bad, bad news. Especially, considering the fire fighting capability, and lack of expediency was clearly on display.

Surprisingly, the turbine jet-dryer driver, didn't have a fire-suit on. A fire-suit is SOP for anyone associated w/such equipment at IMS. I'd think this will usher in fuel cell bladders, similiar to that of the racecars themselves. IIRC, at Indy the jet dryers have an operator that rides back on the machine itself,...directing the exhaust diffuser as needed. I'm sure all these aspects will be examined. If it can be hit, a race car will hit it.

On a separate note, I'm curious about the viewership numbers, as a Daytona 500, prime-time, no pre-race show,...all business. Then on the completion of lap one, five time champ JJ, the media darling DP, et al, all all taken out in a violent crash that exemplifies the robust nature of the new cars. Damn that was a bad hit to the driver's door. Danica's infield wall hit in the qualifier was nasty as hell too,....these cars are phenomenally safe,....hence the wild driving.

Thanks

------------------------------------
Flat, Deep, Clean, Linear, and Loud
Active 16.8kw, 7.3 system
(3)Seaton Cat12C up front, (4)QSC K8 sides/rears
(2)Seaton SubM-HP, (4)18" IB
post #73 of 107 Old 02-28-2012, 03:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

@cyclone...

yup... she sure can drive...

and it'd be awfully difficult to question the chops of someone brave enough to drive an indycar flat out on an oval...

and she survived the europeans, where the chauvanistic attitude is worse than it is here...

while i agree that there's a "mania" simply due to her uniqueness, it's hard to blame her for that... has she taken advantage of her uniqueness? sure... money (i.e. sponsorship) is the lifeblood of racing...

i'm also a big f1 fan... completely inadequate drivers get seats there simply because they can provide money... at least she's adequate...

heck, nascar has been populated for years by guys who can't drive a lick... but they sure can sell...

- chris

post #74 of 107 Old 02-28-2012, 03:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CycloneGT View Post

She can drive. Even on road courses.

Compared to Simona de Silvestro who has had second-tier equipment Danica looked like a duck out of water on road courses. Simona is one road course lady... and to a large degree she stole much of Danica's thunder (with her winning spirit).

http://www.automobilemag.com/feature...e/viewall.html

Believe it or not just a small portion of the article...

The scene was Pole Day, a week before the race. Shortly after a disappointing qualifying effort, Danica Patrick complained about her ill-handling car during an interview broadcast over the trackside P.A. system. Patrick is racing's It Girl, the most recognized face and best-known body in IndyCar racing, thanks to her exposure in Sports Illustrated's swimsuit issue. Yet the crowd responded by booing her lustily, with all the bitterness of a jilted lover.

But that wasn't the watershed moment. No, that came a few minutes later when a twenty-one-year-old Swiss rookie by the name of Simona De Silvestro outqualified Patrick for the fifth time in six IndyCar races this season despite making her run in the heat of the afternoon-the most diabolical conditions she'd ever experienced at racing's most daunting circuit-and taking to the track immediately after the previous driver had crashed during his run.

"Think about the mental toughness that requires," her race engineer Michael Cannon says. "We'd drawn a terrible qualifying position. It was hot. Another car had just splattered against the wall. And we're telling her to go flat into turn 1-230.5 mph before turning in. Well, off she went." And qualified solidly at 224.228 mph. "She's bloody good," Cannon says in the team's garage in Gasoline Alley, two days before the Indy 500. "I'd be very surprised if she doesn't win championships."

De Silvestro is the anti-Danica, bubbly rather than sultry, a tomboy rather than a sex kitten, less sizzle, more steak. Janet Guthrie was the first woman to race at Indy, back in 1977, and Lyn Saint James carried the feminist torch during the '80s and '90s. In 2002, Sarah Fisher became the first woman to qualify on the pole for an IndyCar race. Then, two years ago, Patrick scored the first, and so far only, IndyCar win for a female driver. Now, De Silvestro-the winningest female driver in Formula Atlantic history-is poised to achieve the biggest first of all: she could become the first female racer (outside of drag racing) whose gender doesn't matter.

This isn't to say that De Silvestro is androgynous. Although it's often noted that her ears aren't pierced, she seems like a perfectly typical young woman who smiles a lot, laughs easily and often, and can be girlishly silly. She shrieks when she spots a spider, and she's seen the chick flick Twilight seven times. But what sets her apart from those who came before her is that she's not a woman racer who happens to be seriously quick. She's a seriously quick racer who happens to be a woman.

"Before I worked with her," says her driver coach, Bob Perona, "I thought she was just another girl race car driver. After I started working with her, I knew she was going to be very good. But she's turned out to be great. She's the whole package. She's got the talent. She's got it mentally. She's got it emotionally. I don't think there's anything she can't do in a race car."
post #75 of 107 Old 02-28-2012, 03:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

@foh...

yea, that was reminiscent of the bad old days, where guys died regularly by burning to death...

and i agree, the lack of a faster response (and inadequate safety equipment for othe truck driver) is concerning... ims is the "gold standard" when it comes to response...

it is amazing the hits they can take now... i physically flinched when the 48 got hit in the door... in the bad old days, we'd be mourning a driver today...

- chris

post #76 of 107 Old 02-28-2012, 04:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 58
I would have loved to have seen her in a Chip Ganassi or Roger Penske owned ride.

Perhaps I misremembered.

post #77 of 107 Old 02-28-2012, 06:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I though it was great that everyone stood around and watched the dryer pore jet fuel on the top of the banked track. They could of hooked up a tow truck an pulled it down near the infield. Notice that they would not let a race end with-out a super star winning even if it took all night.

Kevin
post #78 of 107 Old 02-28-2012, 06:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

^^^

wasn't a whole heckuva lot of time between spill and ignition... it would have been HIGHLY imprudent to attempt to drag that truck off the track while it was belching fuel out... you DID notice that little fire, right?

- chris

post #79 of 107 Old 02-28-2012, 06:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 20
They stood there for maybe 20 minutes. If they drag it, what else is it going to do, it's already on fire.

Kevin
post #80 of 107 Old 02-28-2012, 07:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

^^^

umm... jet fuel burns between 5-600 degrees... think about it for a minute...

you noticed they weren't getting up close and personal to it with the extinguishing materials...

- chris

post #81 of 107 Old 02-28-2012, 10:51 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by I WANT MORE View Post

Let's count how many were her fault or how many anyone could have avoided.

Uh, Let's see, Um, Ah, None.

In my opinion, and you may disagree, the nationwide wreck could've been avoided. Plenty of people all week were bump drafting. She lifted and spun.
post #82 of 107 Old 02-29-2012, 04:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_Stuewe View Post

In my opinion, and you may disagree, the nationwide wreck could've been avoided. Plenty of people all week were bump drafting. She lifted and spun.

I watched most of the practices both Cup and Nationwide and they were spinning each other out all week doing that.
You simply can not bump someone like that especially in the corner.

Perhaps I misremembered.

post #83 of 107 Old 02-29-2012, 06:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I'm surprised that aside from all the obvious calamities, no one has mentioned how absolutley boring this race was. Single file, one groove racing = Zzzzzzzzzz. The top groove was useless for the entire race, and the leaders were sticking with their "team mates" and not allowing anyone to get around the 1st & 2nd place cars.

BTW, isn't "pack racing" what got an Indy Car Series driver killed last year?

Keep calm and drive a Camaro
post #84 of 107 Old 02-29-2012, 06:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

She has little to no experience in these cars and you're talking about running Sprint cup, the highest level. Yes I think on the non plate tracks she is going to struggle mightily. Heck she struggled mightily in the few Nationwide races she ran last year.

2010 in her Nationwide starts she only had 1 top 20 finish (a 19th)

2011 nationwide finishes: 1 top 5 3 top 10s in 12 races. She doesn't qualify well at the non plate tracks either. If you put her in Sprint Cup full time this season she'd run 25th every week.
post #85 of 107 Old 02-29-2012, 06:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich3fan View Post

I'm surprised that aside from all the obvious calamities, no one has mentioned how absolutley boring this race was. Single file, one groove racing = Zzzzzzzzzz. The top groove was useless for the entire race, and the leaders were sticking with their "team mates" and not allowing anyone to get around the 1st & 2nd place cars.

I'll take the packs over the 2 car shove we had last year. That was worse. Nascar's had pack racing for 20 years now so it's nothnig new. it's only 4 out of 36 races so I don't get too worked up about it.
post #86 of 107 Old 02-29-2012, 08:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 16
NASCAR's had pack racing for 20 years now, and the drivers have complained about it for 20 years now too. I'm glad you don't get too worked up about it, but when the biggest, most important and the most prestigous race for the drivers is reduced to a single file follow the leader event, that's bad for the sport. IMO, this year's 500 was a huge flop, and I think most drivers are happy to be moving on.

I recorded the final 40 laps and watched it last night but don't know if there were any post race driver interviews yet. I'd/I'll be curious to hear what Dale Jr. has to say about this race. I think he had the fastest car and should've been the winner.

Keep calm and drive a Camaro
post #87 of 107 Old 02-29-2012, 08:50 AM
FOH
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Somewhat, however the pole config (whereby the fence poles are inside the fencing. In open wheel, you touch and typically inertial forces propel the vehicle into the air. It's happened many times, even at Indy. However in dirt open wheel, they're so ready for the high flying wheel touching stuff, they build flat fronted walls of 'Armco", etc., thereby allowing the normal forces and safety features to accomplish their designed goals. There should be an absolute minimal chance for any cockpit intrusion. Perhaps suspension oriented, etc, but nothing from the venue.

Point being, in my opinion, the fence pole config attributed significantly to the fatal outcome of the race in question. The cars are designed to endure a hit to the wall. You're correct in the "pack" style attributed to the airborne nature,..and a glancing blow is a 50/50 proposition off the fence,..ie, sometimes the cars deflect off the fence, sometimes the fence grabs the cars violently. That said the vertical components of the fence clearly need to reside on the exterior of the fencing.

It is an inherently dangerous sport, open wheel in particular. As the fatal crashes become less frequent, they seem to possess greater impact to the sport.

Just my opinion

post #88 of 107 Old 02-29-2012, 08:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Fastest car doesn't always win. The only "difference" i saw in the 500 was that the outside line didn't work as well as it might have in years past. But after the lap 2 wreck the field wanted to just log laps and be around at the end. The 2 wrecks in the last 20 laps really thinned out the field so you only had about 15 cars at the end that were competitive.
post #89 of 107 Old 02-29-2012, 09:09 AM
FOH
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'd/I'll be curious to hear what Dale Jr. has to say about this race. I think he had the fastest car and should've been the winner.

Oddly enough he commented that he had a great time, bummed he wasn't fast enough to deal w/the Roush stable, and he wanted to commend everyone for behaving themselves on the track for a nice race It's all about one's perspective. You come out of a Daytona week like that, being 2nd in points, and not having to forfeit your most aero plate car (like the winner), that's something to be quite pleased about.

Now onto the real season. In my opinion, Jr clearly gives the very best interviews of all the drivers. He listens to the question, briefly contemplates and subsequently gives the best and honest answers out there. Simona de Silvestro is similar in her interview style, except multiply it 10x She's that good of an interview,...just wonderful. The Russian kid in F1 shares some of the same traits,...I believe it's Vitaly Petrov.

Thanks

post #90 of 107 Old 02-29-2012, 09:51 AM
AVS Special Member

You know what's odd about that with Dale Jr...go youtube interviews of him in like 2000, 2001 2002...he spoke really really fast.

As for the drivers not liking pack racing...go read the post race comments they made after the Bud Shootout, they all said how fun it was.
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page