'Through the Wormhole with Morgan Freeman' on Science Channel HD - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 57 Old 03-01-2012, 05:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Season Three starts next week. I'm very exited, I love space topics.

I searched and found no threads. I couldn't decide if I should add "with Morgan Freeman" to the thread title. Felt the thread title would have been a little long. I can always change it to the full name "Through the Wormhole with Morgan Freeman".

About Through the Wormhole
With Morgan Freeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by science.discovery View Post

Hosted by Morgan Freeman, Through the Wormhole explores the deepest mysteries of existence — the questions that have puzzled mankind for eternity.

What are we made of? What was there before the beginning? Are we really alone? Is there a creator? These questions have been pondered by the most exquisite minds of the human race. Now, science has evolved to the point where hard facts and evidence may be able to provide us with answers instead of philosophical theories.

Through the Wormhole brings together the brightest minds and best ideas from the very edges of science — Astrophysics, Astrobiology, Quantum Mechanics, String Theory, and more — to reveal the extraordinary truth of our Universe.]

You can watch "Through the Wormhole with Morgan Freeman" on Tuesday's at 9:00 PM CST only on Science Channel.

For more information about "Through the Wormhole with Morgan Freeman" please visit the official website below.
http://science.discovery.com/tv/through-the-wormhole/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 57 Old 03-01-2012, 09:34 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Yeah i have watched several episodes ,this show is very interesting,If any one out there is curious about science this is a cool show!,I'm looking forward to seeing new episodes.
post #3 of 57 Old 03-02-2012, 05:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I'm noticing in this thread that "Morgan" is a blue clickable hyperlink containing adds.
I wonder why this is happening, I don't think I normally see this around the HDTV Programming threads.

Wonder if I did something wrong
post #4 of 57 Old 03-02-2012, 10:04 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Too much pseudoscience for me.

NOW: my post on AVS Forum.
NEXT: someone else's post on AVS Forum.
post #5 of 57 Old 03-02-2012, 10:28 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 546
Quote:
Originally Posted by scowl View Post

Too much pseudoscience for me.

This isn't a Syfy paranormal activity series. Every episode I've seen has been chock full of real, factual, honest-to-god science worthy of a NOVA episode, albeit packaged in a widely accessible manner.
post #6 of 57 Old 03-02-2012, 10:54 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 814
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

Every episode I've seen has been chock full of real, factual, honest-to-god science worthy of a NOVA episode, albeit packaged in a widely accessible manner.

Yep, that's the series...and a very good one at that.

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
post #7 of 57 Old 03-02-2012, 02:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 242
Quote:

This isn't a Syfy paranormal activity series. Every episode I've seen has been chock full of real, factual, honest-to-god science worthy of a NOVA episode, albeit packaged in a widely accessible manner.

+1

We've watched every episode. And coming from a science/engr background, the show is factually accurate, although the concepts are on the cutting edge of theories in physics, cosmology, astronomy. And that's what makes it so interesting

Although these theories are mind-boggling in scope, like the idea of multi-verses, the concepts are well explained by renowned physicists, like Michio Kaku, and discussing the experiments being devised to prove or disprove these theories. Show does an excellent job of describing in lay terms what the concepts imply & what the practical applications could be.

Really thought-provoking, informative, and entertaining at the same time. If more people opened their minds to the ideas presented in shows like this rather than listen to science-denying, anti-intellectual presidential candidates, the country would be a whole lot better off

This, the "Wonder of the", and "How the Universe Works" are some of my favorite science based shows.

Keep it coming, Morgan!

Steve
post #8 of 57 Old 03-02-2012, 02:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss9001 View Post

+1

We've watched every episode. And coming from a science/engr background, the show is factually accurate, although the concepts are on the cutting edge of theories in physics, cosmology, astronomy. And that's what makes it so interesting

Although these theories are sometimes mind-boggling in scope, like multi-verses, invisibility, the concepts are well explained by renowed physicists, like Michio Kaku, and the show discusses the scientists and their experiments, and describes in lay terms what the concepts imply & what the practical applications could be.

Really thought-provoking, informative, and entertaining at the same time. Certainly better for your mind than the usual dumb crapola that keeps the networks in business.

And it doesn't hurt that Morgan is tops as a narrator

This, the "Wonder of the", and "How the Universe Works" are some of my favorite science based shows.

Keep it coming, Morgan!

Hey now!
Did you just steal my Reply?
Cuz that is exactly my opinion of this series too.
Damn mind-reading....

post #9 of 57 Old 03-02-2012, 02:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

Damn mind-reading....

I think they'll be covering that one this season.
post #10 of 57 Old 03-02-2012, 03:36 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 32
I totally agree with most of you. I've seen every episode. Can't wait for season 3 too start. It's funny how some of the new concepts on this series make there way on to the Big Bang Sitcom Dialog with a funny and factual twist.
post #11 of 57 Old 03-02-2012, 03:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by baja7475 View Post

It's funny how some of the new concepts on this series make there way on to the Big Bang Sitcom Dialog with a funny and factual twist.

Woah, woah..."BBT" and "funny" in the same sentence?

In any case, thanks for the heads up. I've seen every episode as well and had no clue a new season was about to start. I enjoy this show quite a bit.
post #12 of 57 Old 03-03-2012, 07:09 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:

Hey now!
Did you just steal my Reply?
Cuz that is exactly my opinion of this series too.
Damn mind-reading....

Quote:

I think they'll be covering that one this season.

That topic was covered in S2, IIRC.
post #13 of 57 Old 03-03-2012, 07:13 AM

Quote:

+1

Although these theories are mind-boggling in scope, like the idea of multi-verses, the concepts are well explained by renowned physicists, like Michio Kaku, and discussing the experiments being devised to prove or disprove these theories. Show does an excellent job of describing in lay terms what the concepts imply & what the practical applications could be.

Really thought-provoking, informative, and entertaining at the same time. If more people opened their minds to the ideas presented in shows like this rather than listen to science-denying, anti-intellectual presidential candidates, the country would be a whole lot better off

Keep it coming, Morgan!

+2

Whilst I like Michio Kaku, Max Tegmark from MIT is a worthy addition to this show as well.

Wish they would show more of him.
post #14 of 57 Old 03-03-2012, 08:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: Houston, Texas Comcast SA 8300HD DVRs Guide S25 Phase 1 with Patch
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
This is a special episode instead of the start of a new season.

Many of the previous episodes are being shown again, check your listings.

The following quotes are from the "Xfinity Channel Guide Magazine":

Quote:

"Through the Wormhole with Morgan Freeman: Will We Survive First contact?" (Tuesday, March 6, Science, 9 pm CT)

This special episode of Morgan Freeman's acclaimed series, which serves as part of Science's "Are We Alone?" multimedia initiative, explores the possibilities of what man's first encounter with extraterrestial life might be like and the implications for the human race.

Quote:

"Alien Encounter: The Message" (Tuesday, March 13, Science 9 pm CT)
Part of Science's "Are We Alone" initiative, this is the first of a two-part special featuring renowned experts Nick Sagan and SETI (Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence) Institure representative Dr. Jill Tarter, as they come together to explore how alien life might communicate with us here on Earth.

Quote:

"Alien Encounter: The Arrival" (Tuesday, March 20, Science 9 pm CT)
Part of Science's "Are We Alone" initiative, this is the second of a two-part special featuring renowned experts Nick Sagan and SETI (Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence) Institure representative Dr. Jill Tarter, as they come together to explore how alien life might communicate with us here on Earth.

Quote:

"Nasa Files: The Unexplained" (Tuesday, March 27, Science 9 pm CT)
As Science's "Are We Alone" initiative for March draws to a close, this special presents firsthand accounts of NASA astronauts who witnessed the mysterious ... and the unexplained.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young C View Post

Season Three starts next week. I'm very exited, I love space topics.

I searched and found no threads. I couldn't decide if I should add "with Morgan Freeman" to the thread title. Felt the thread title would have been a little long. I can always change it to the full name "Through the Wormhole with Morgan Freeman".

About Through the Wormhole
With Morgan Freeman

You can watch "Through the Wormhole with Morgan Freeman" on Tuesday's at 9:00 PM CST only on Science Channel.

For more information about "Through the Wormhole with Morgan Freeman" please visit the official website below.
http://science.discovery.com/tv/through-the-wormhole/

post #15 of 57 Old 03-03-2012, 09:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Interesting.

Thanks for the information.

Even if it's not a new season, we still have the native thread
post #16 of 57 Old 03-04-2012, 12:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 18
Quote:

But several have been full of extremely speculative rambling that was shamelessly being passed by the show as having scientific merit. No one can talk in a scientific context about things like time travel, life after death, telepathy and extraterrestrial contact because we have no evidence to support these things. No evidence means no science, period. The mixture of true science and pseudoscience makes this show no better than the silly "In Search Of..." series back in the 70's.

NOW: my post on AVS Forum.
NEXT: someone else's post on AVS Forum.
post #17 of 57 Old 03-04-2012, 01:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

No one can talk in a scientific context about things like time travel, life after death, telepathy and extraterrestrial contact

Those topics you bring up ARE possible under Einstein's theories.
Whether are or not they are science FACT is a question which can be resolved with scientific inquiry....and that is the point of these shows.

post #18 of 57 Old 03-04-2012, 07:34 PM

Quote:

But several have been full of extremely speculative rambling that was shamelessly being passed by the show as having scientific merit. No one can talk in a scientific context about things like time travel, life after death, telepathy and extraterrestrial contact because we have no evidence to support these things. No evidence means no science, period. The mixture of true science and pseudoscience makes this show no better than the silly "In Search Of..." series back in the 70's.

Quote:

Those topics you bring up ARE possible under Einstein's theories.
Whether are or not they are science FACT is a question which can be resolved with scientific inquiry....and that is the point of these shows.

+1

Obviously, producers choose topics based not just on the standard model but on theoretical physics as well. Quite right of them to do this.
post #19 of 57 Old 03-04-2012, 11:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 44
What?!? You mean a show called, "Through the Wormhole" tackles theoretical physics like time travel?

That's shocking!

post #20 of 57 Old 03-08-2012, 12:01 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Nice start to the new season.
Interesting how scientists are coming around to the viewpoint Close Encounters will likely be hazardous to the human species....

post #21 of 57 Old 03-08-2012, 04:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 159
Why would they not? All you have to do is look at mankind's history of exploration and conquest. Plus, there's a better than equal chance (IMO) that any species sophisticated enough to find us will most likely be looking for resources and/or livable habitat, and we'll just be in the way.

I'm surprised that there's a new season here, I thought it was a limited run series just like most others on Science. I'll have to setup the SP on my Tivo again, thanks for the heads up. Certainly worth a watch based on the originals I saw a couple of years ago.
post #22 of 57 Old 03-08-2012, 06:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post

Why would they not? All you have to do is look at mankind's history of exploration and conquest. Plus, there's a better than equal chance (IMO) that any species sophisticated enough to find us will most likely be looking for resources and/or livable habitat, and we'll just be in the way.

Not necessarily. Maybe they'd be like Star Trek's Federation - intergalactic do-gooders with a mandate to help less advanced species and not interfere with their lives. Of course, if they're dealing with humans, that could (and probably would) come back to bite them. We're clearly many generations away from that kind of enlightened attitude toward other species, considering how we treat them on our own planet.
post #23 of 57 Old 03-08-2012, 08:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Yeah, maybe that's true - we certainly have enough evidence to show that we've already been visited, multiple times. But nobody's brought the big hammer down on us yet, maybe because we (or the planet) are not worth their time.
post #24 of 57 Old 03-08-2012, 08:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Yeah, maybe that's true - we certainly have enough evidence to show that we've already been visited, multiple times.

Huh?
What "evidence?"

Quote:

But nobody's brought the big hammer down on us yet, maybe because we (or the planet) are not worth their time.

Or we don't taste good....

post #25 of 57 Old 03-08-2012, 09:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Pilot reports of sightings, mainly. Pretty trustworthy folks in my book.
post #26 of 57 Old 03-08-2012, 10:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 242
Quote:

Or we don't taste good....

To Serve Man

Steve
post #27 of 57 Old 03-08-2012, 11:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

To Serve Man

LOL.
You stole Aliens punchline....

post #28 of 57 Old 03-08-2012, 11:45 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Yeah, maybe that's true - we certainly have enough evidence to show that we've already been visited, multiple times.

I don't think anecdotal accounts and fuzzy photos by pilots or anyone else really qualifies as "evidence".

Wake me when there's some kind of tangible physical artifact discovered or press footage of a flying saucer landing on the Washington mall.

I'm like Fox Mulder - I want to believe! But absent any shred of actual verifiable proof, I have to conclude that as far as we know right now we're the only source of intelligent life that's ever hung around this part of the galactic neighborhood.
post #29 of 57 Old 03-08-2012, 01:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:

...I'm like Fox Mulder - I want to believe! But absent any shred of actual verifiable proof, I have to conclude that as far as we know right now we're the only source of intelligent life that's ever hung around this part of the galactic neighborhood.

Something that is clearly not of our level of technology, or an organism that shows not having evolved on this earth would be acceptable. Like a blue box that's bigger on the inside than the outside, for example.

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
post #30 of 57 Old 03-08-2012, 01:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Wake me when there's some kind of tangible physical artifact discovered or press footage of a flying saucer landing on the Washington mall.

I'm like Fox Mulder - I want to believe! But absent any shred of actual verifiable proof, I have to conclude that as far as we know right now we're the only source of intelligent life that's ever hung around this part of the galactic neighborhood.

The problem is when we see the "evidence" will we be able to recognize it?
The evidence may be all around us and we just don't know it.
The latest episode deals exactly with this question...

Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page