Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 03-10-2012, 06:03 PM - Thread Starter
Kib
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
If anyone is bored silly, I'd be curious what kind of data rate/bandwidth Comcast is passing on NBC Sports Network. The reason I ask is I'm once again floored by how nice a picture these guys are putting out. Just stunning, right up there if not a little better than CBS's college hoops coverage.

Not that I would ever accuse a company of showing preferential treatment to one of their own divisions over other people they do business with, but it seems to me if you wanted to quickly differentiate one product PQ from another one way might be to open up the bandwidth hose. (all things otherwise roughly equal)

Should I put away my tin foil hat or am I onto something?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 03-10-2012, 07:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kib View Post

If anyone is bored silly, I'd be curious what kind of data rate/bandwidth Comcast is passing on NBC Sports Network. The reason I ask is I'm once again floored by how nice a picture these guys are putting out. Just stunning, right up there if not a little better than CBS's college hoops coverage.

Not that I would ever accuse a company of showing preferential treatment to one of their own divisions over other people they do business with, but it seems to me if you wanted to quickly differentiate one product PQ from another one way might be to open up the bandwidth hose. (all things otherwise roughly equal)

Should I put away my tin foil hat or am I onto something?

A couple of info points:

- Not all Comcast systems are set up the same. In most areas, local HD is passed without additional compression, aka a QAM two pack, while in other areas local HD is QAM three packed like most national HD on Comcast systems.

- Some national HD channels, like ESPN & TNT, have also been QAM two packed, on some systems. On other systems they are three packed.

The bottom line is that it's hard to say why NBCSN looks better for you than in the past. It's quite possible on your system they have increased the bandwidth compared to what it got in the past, but not necessarily at the expense of other competitive HD channels.

As for the 'tin hat' theory, my guess is after the rigorous regulatory process Comcast had to endure from the Justice Department and the FCC to acquire NBCU, it would be foolhardy of them to try anything fishy at this point.

YMMV.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

post #3 of 12 Old 03-10-2012, 07:43 PM - Thread Starter
Kib
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Thx Ken, maybe a classic case of "The simplest answer is usually the correct one". Whatever is going on, I hope it doesn't change. Might actually be fun watching the stuff from London later this year.
post #4 of 12 Old 03-10-2012, 08:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

There are ways to get an idea what the bandwidth is. If you're using a Comcast supplied box, you can go into the service menu and see how many channels are on the same QAM. If you have a CableCARD device, like a TiVo, you can track how much space is used for HD recordings.

post #5 of 12 Old 03-10-2012, 08:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Speaking of NBC Universal Channels, it's being reported that NBCU Comcast is now delivering HD channels with extra compression so 3 channels can fit in one QAM space and it is effecting the quality of the channels.

"kes601: Got another update. NBC Universal is over-compressing the USA / SyFy / Bravo feed they are sending Vz (now being sent so all 3 can fit into one QAM). They have been notified but have responded that no other provider has complained. So, Vz has to convince them that it is an issue and keep work on getting it fixed."
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r269...aming-Bitrates
post #6 of 12 Old 03-10-2012, 08:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
On FiOS, it's 8-19Mb/s VBR, average is 16.33. On Comcast in the SFBA, it shares a channel with CSNBA HD and a local access SD channel, so it's relatively unmolested and delivered at 13-20Mb/s VBR, average is 15.6. The PQ has really improved since they backed down on the ridiculous amount of both softening and sharpening that was done in the old days.
post #7 of 12 Old 03-10-2012, 09:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by icemannyr View Post

Speaking of NBC Universal Channels, it's being reported that NBCU Comcast is now delivering HD channels with extra compression so 3 channels can fit in one QAM space and it is effecting the quality of the channels.

That's old news for providers that use Comcast Media Center; they have been doing that for years.

post #8 of 12 Old 03-11-2012, 10:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Be lucky Comcast only squeezes 3 HD channels into a QAM, Cablevision has been putting 4 HD channels into a QAM for years. Although now they're slowly moving to an all digital footprint, hopefully that'll free up some room to space out the HD channels.
post #9 of 12 Old 03-11-2012, 05:15 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by coyoteaz View Post

On FiOS, it's 8-19Mb/s VBR, average is 16.33. On Comcast in the SFBA, it shares a channel with CSNBA HD and a local access SD channel, so it's relatively unmolested and delivered at 13-20Mb/s VBR, average is 15.6. The PQ has really improved since they backed down on the ridiculous amount of both softening and sharpening that was done in the old days.

what is the directv rate?
post #10 of 12 Old 03-11-2012, 09:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken H View Post

That's old news for providers that use Comcast Media Center; they have been doing that for years.

Yes, but in the past, the channels were delivered at a higher rate (~16Mb/s) and then compressed down by CMC and other providers, leaving Verizon and D* with a relatively less crappy feed (though still not anything amazing since USA and Syfy always used really bad/old encoders). These days, the feed comes out at like 7-10Mb/s, meaning everyone gets freaking awful PQ, and CMC ends up recompressing the channels to a higher rate than they came in at. At some point, CMC gave up on rate shaping/requantizing/cherrypicking and now do a full decode/reencode. At least they now use better encoders that don't generate several-thousand-post-long threads here complaining about it.
post #11 of 12 Old 03-11-2012, 09:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe The Dragon View Post

what is the directv rate?

Don't know, their signals are too proprietary and locked down.
post #12 of 12 Old 03-12-2012, 07:09 AM

Looks pretty bad on DirecTV.
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page