2012 NCAA Tournament on CBS, TBS, TNT, & truTV in HD 2nd Round 3/15 & 3/16 - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-17-2012, 08:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyehill View Post

Loving the addition of the TNT NBA guys (Charles) to the studio show. So much better than Clark Kellog calling the ball the "orange" all the time.

I love (Charles) about as much as I love the NBA. NOT AT ALL!!!

Perhaps I misremembered.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2012, 12:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles O View Post

Of the 4 networks so far, once again TruTV is the weak link PQ wise. It sucks that the game I'm most interested in late is on that channel.

Also of note, I have a 3 screen setup and can only get TBS and CBS in HD on the 2nd and 3rd screens this way but TNT and TruTV in analog are in 4:3 which is strange since Turner has been showing the MLB and NBA in 16:9 letterbox.

...and GO REBELS!!!!

I bet as part of the agreement that Turner Sports had with CBS and or the NCAA, the games they show had to be in 4:3 safe mode. Honestly I don't mind that however I wish they would put the scorebar on the top of the screen (ditto for ESPN/ABC when they broadcast basketball). If the scorebar was on the top of the screen, it wouldn't block part of the basketball court.

And the FOUL!
Old 03-17-2012, 02:24 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Murray State/Marquette game looks really bad. Picture is really dark. Getting a lot of artifacts and macro-blocking. Macro-blocking is common on my local CBS station as they have three sub-channels. Watching KSLA on DirecTV.
Old 03-17-2012, 02:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHergenrader View Post

Murray State/Marquette game looks really bad. Picture is really dark. Getting a lot of artifacts and macro-blocking. Macro-blocking is common on my local CBS station as they have three sub-channels. Watching KSLA on DirecTV.

Same thing here, very dark all around and a LOT of motion macroblocking, especially on the game cam. Watching on both qam cable and antenna, same thing. This is the first game of the last few days I've had a problem with.
Old 03-17-2012, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sitlet View Post

Same thing here, very dark all around and a LOT of motion macroblocking, especially on the game cam. Watching on both qam cable and antenna, same thing. This is the first game of the last few days I've had a problem with.

Same here except I always get macro-blocking but that's a local issue with our station. Too many sub-channels.
Old 03-18-2012, 03:45 PM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHergenrader View Post

Same here except I always get macro-blocking but that's a local issue with our station. Too many sub-channels.

Picture looked great to me; KYW 3 out of Philly on DirecTV. But then my Warriors won, must be all the beers.
Old 03-18-2012, 09:28 PM

Liked: 11
So how do they assign the games to the networks? I'm SHOCKED CBS isn't getting the combination of Kansas and UNC on Friday night.

I'm also pissed I'm not gonna be able to see State play in OTA HD...

Announce teams and all that: http://news.turner.com/article_displ...rticle_id=6015
Old 03-19-2012, 09:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 41
I suppose, but I find it so much better than letting CBS decide what game one watches. With the CBS, TBS, TNT, TruTV format, it's up to the viewer to decide what game to watch when they watch.

And the FOUL!
Old 03-19-2012, 11:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 97
The games in Ohama were not framed very well. The camera sits way above the court. Instead of zooming in to see the action, they basically showed half the court for most of the games.

The start times in Nashville last night were insane for a Sunday night. The last game didn't end until just after midnight. Why show two early afternoon games with no competition (and 30 minutes to kill in between) and then cram all these games in late to end so late when most people have to go to work or school the next morning? I didn't understand that.

PQ on all Turner channels were excellent for me.
Old 03-19-2012, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRM4 View Post

The games in Ohama were not framed very well. The camera sits way above the court. Instead of zooming in to see the action, they basically showed half the court for most of the games.

The start times in Nashville last night were insane for a Sunday night. The last game didn't end until just after midnight. Why show two early afternoon games with no competition (and 30 minutes to kill in between) and then cram all these games in late to end so late when most people have to go to work or school the next morning? I didn't understand that.

PQ on all Turner channels were excellent for me.

Yeah. The start times yesterday made no sense to me either. I'm guessing CBS wanted exclusivity during the early windows. Still bad for the fans in the east coast.
Old 03-19-2012, 01:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 107
I turned on the early games and thought I was seeing things when they were listing start times after 9 pm on a Sunday? I really hope they re think that next year.
Old 03-19-2012, 02:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by icemannyr View Post

TBS HD FiOS TV NYC
LIU vs MI ST has the worst PQ of the day.
Main court camera video is grainy with motion artifacts on the players.
Extreme macro blocking on the closeup shots.
The arena lighting is dark and all the closeup camera shots are very grainy.
TBS is worse then TruTV which has the worst PQ of all the tournament channels.

my take exactly. tbs is worse than tru which is somewhat hard to believe. tru showed massive macros on motion shots, but its main cameras at least were adequate. a couple of games on tbs looked dark and really soft.

tbs still the crappiest sports broadcasts.

neflixis our nemesis