Forum Jump: 
 38Likes

post #301 of 1303 Old 02-28-2013, 10:51 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 505
After last week's cliched mess, this week was excellent. Good guys protecting bad guys from bad guys hired by good guys, with plenty of action to boot.

Also enjoyed the reveals this episode. I did not expect Queen to come clean to Tommy. When Merlyn opened the room to reveal the Black Arrow costume I was another thinking of the Green Goblin. I'm glad Barrowman survived so at least Tommy doesn't have to go on a vengeance trip against Queen.

One thing that was hilarious, was the restaurant fight. Queen never broke a sweat and was not only back at the dinner table in less than a minute but also appeared to have finished eating. I couldn't decide if that was funny for the right reasons or just stupid.

Bonus points for breaking convention for Villain of the Week and not only killing off a bad guy in the cold open but doing it mid-villainy monologue.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #302 of 1303 Old 02-28-2013, 11:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 22

Captain Jack and River Song.  Cool.  I liked this episode, lots of surprises.

post #303 of 1303 Old 02-28-2013, 02:38 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 436 Post(s)
Liked: 714
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt L View Post

I'm getting vibes from the original Spiderman, with the green goblin - if I recall correctly. Not sure we need to go there again, even for graphic novels it's a very overused plot device. Best buddies become sworn enemies, come on writers be more original.

I don't think it is going there. Ollie saved Tommy's dad's life. He's grateful. Yeah, he's pouting a bit about not being told "the truth" but he'll get over it after they wring some drama out of the situation for a few weeks. Eventually most of Ollie's family and acquaintances will probably end up finding out. They'll string those reveals along slowly but surely.

"How can I trust you?"

[removing the hood] "Because you always have."

I'm sorry, but that was cool. cool.gif

Ollie needs to use more of the specialty and gadget arrows featured in the comics. He's pretty basic right now.
post #304 of 1303 Old 02-28-2013, 05:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Notice the canary mention?
post #305 of 1303 Old 02-28-2013, 05:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post

After last week's cliched mess, this week was excellent.

That's what happens when an episode is written by lauded comic book writer Geoff Johns.

post #306 of 1303 Old 02-28-2013, 08:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Since nobody else has said it...

I keep wondering if the cop McKenna Hall is going to eventually get us to Hawkgirl somehow.

Hawkman always has a "Hall" sounding name in his incarnations... as does his wife... and she has an exotic look to her and is a good guy (gal)... it seems like a nice way to sneak another hero in under the radar if they decided to go that way at some point. Often the "Halls" do not know who they are when first reincarnated, especially Shayera (Hawkgirl).

Yeah baby!  It's Halloween!
post #307 of 1303 Old 03-01-2013, 01:36 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 26
When Merlyn talked a little about his past to Tommy, he mentioned NANDA PARBAT. Instead of the HAWKS, we might see VIC SAGE (THE QUESTION) pop up.
post #308 of 1303 Old 03-03-2013, 12:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by ltownsend View Post

SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO glad they didn't kill off John Barrowman! And now we have RIVER SONG!!!!!!!!!

Yeah, who's next? Rose Tyler? Strax? Harriet Jones?
post #309 of 1303 Old 03-04-2013, 07:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabbathespud View Post

Notice the canary mention?

Yep, I noted it to my wife right away.

They may toss up a curve ball if Laural's sister is really alive, perhaps she will show up as the Black Canary.

Scott
post #310 of 1303 Old 03-04-2013, 08:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

I don't think it is going there. Ollie saved Tommy's dad's life. He's grateful. Yeah, he's pouting a bit about not being told "the truth" but he'll get over it after they wring some drama out of the situation for a few weeks. Eventually most of Ollie's family and acquaintances will probably end up finding out. They'll string those reveals along slowly but surely.

"How can I trust you?"

[removing the hood] "Because you always have."

I'm sorry, but that was cool. cool.gif

Ollie needs to use more of the specialty and gadget arrows featured in the comics. He's pretty basic right now.

While that was, indeed, cool, don't forget the ending, where Tommy (while not voicing it) clearly displayed his irritation at Ollie not telling him up front. Plus, Tommy and his father have bonded once again, and we know that Tommy's father (Black Arrow) tried to kill Ollie (as Arrow) early on. I think we're seeing the start of a divide between the two, which will put Laurel into a difficult situation.
post #311 of 1303 Old 03-06-2013, 04:32 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquastar View Post

When Merlyn talked a little about his past to Tommy, he mentioned NANDA PARBAT. Instead of the HAWKS, we might see VIC SAGE (THE QUESTION) pop up.

The Question would fit well in this universe, but I doubt we'll get Deadman. Lots of nice little comic book references in this episode. I hope we get more comic book writers doing stories. There was another reference to Bludhaven as well, so I'm hoping for some Nightwing in future seasons.
post #312 of 1303 Old 03-09-2013, 05:52 AM
AVS Addicted Member

No new episode this week? confused.gif

Or did I have a DVR failure? frown.gif
post #313 of 1303 Old 03-09-2013, 08:41 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

No new episode this week? confused.gif

Or did I have a DVR failure? frown.gif

New episodes start back up on March 20th....
http://www.cwtv.com/shows/arrow/
post #314 of 1303 Old 03-09-2013, 10:37 AM
Yrd
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked: 199
I actually started to like the last few episodes. Only just now caught the show with Oliver revealing to Tommy.

I still think the actor playing Oliver is stiff as a board. The way he moves, the way he acts. Even just standing there when he's not the one speaking. It's like he's made of stone. Very awkward.

XBL Gamertag- Yrd
PSN - Yerd

Steam - Yrd

post #315 of 1303 Old 03-09-2013, 11:27 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yrd 
Even just standing there when he's not the one speaking. It's like he's made of stone. Very awkward.

It's possible he's just playing the character really well. Being on an island has made him turn into something else. Or it could mean the problem is the actor and he's just no good. I think so far he's done pretty good - the one thing he does exceptionally well is the action which is what I'm interested in.
post #316 of 1303 Old 03-09-2013, 12:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yrd View Post

I actually started to like the last few episodes. Only just now caught the show with Oliver revealing to Tommy.

I still think the actor playing Oliver is stiff as a board. The way he moves, the way he acts. Even just standing there when he's not the one speaking. It's like he's made of stone. Very awkward.
He played a young and dumb male prostitute on HBO's Hung in it's last season. While he was supposed to be "stiff as a board" in some aspects, he was actually pretty funny, light and witty. I don't think it's his acting chops, just CW direction.

I don't lurk as much as I used to and I NEVER listen. Comes from being old and cynical.

post #317 of 1303 Old 03-24-2013, 06:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 40
^I can't believe someone will call him stiff as a board yet others will say Ryan Gosling or David Caruso are great actors. That baffles me.

Oliver REALLY needs to stop hanging around chicks... This show has really turned into a train wreck in progress... Lol...

Also, since this is the CW, I'll let it slide that Arrows can pierce bullet proof vests...

My Summer Motto: "When Nature turns off the damn heat I'll turn off my A/C"
post #318 of 1303 Old 03-24-2013, 08:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Temple View Post

He played a young and dumb male prostitute on HBO's Hung in it's last season. While he was supposed to be "stiff as a board" in some aspects, he was actually pretty funny, light and witty. I don't think it's his acting chops, just CW direction.

He also had a pretty long stint as a guest actor on Private Practice as a paramedic boy toy for Violet. They played up his physical assets there, like the CW.

Speaking of which...who is this slums guy with huge eyebrows that Oliver's sister has fallen into going to end up being? Kind of shocking to see him going all Spider-Man on the would-be robbers.
post #319 of 1303 Old 03-24-2013, 08:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpeacock22 View Post

Speaking of which...who is this slums guy with huge eyebrows that Oliver's sister has fallen into going to end up being? Kind of shocking to see him going all Spider-Man on the would-be robbers.
Roy Harper, better known in the Green Arrow comics as Speedy, (later Arsenal then Red Arrow) Green Arrow's sidekick.

XBOX Live: Wagmman
PSN: Wagg
BFBC2: Wagman
Steam: Wag

My Second Life character looks and acts exactly like me except he can fly.
post #320 of 1303 Old 03-24-2013, 08:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpeacock22 View Post

If someone writes/types a name or place down on the show and the camera makes a point to ensure it's big and legible on screen, then it means "Dun, dun, duuuu! Comic reference!" biggrin.gif

When I saw Thea write down Roy Harper on the notepad I looked him up.

post #321 of 1303 Old 03-25-2013, 06:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yrd View Post

He fine and has his moments of stiffness but I think he is doing that on purpose.

Seems he may even be up for a part in 50 shades of Grey?
http://www.policymic.com/articles/30875/stephen-amell-fifty-shades-of-grey-actor-in-talks-to-play-christian-grey
post #322 of 1303 Old 03-25-2013, 02:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

I thought they were playing the Oliver character as "stiff" purposely, to show how distant he's become after his experiences on the island.

post #323 of 1303 Old 03-26-2013, 02:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFi View Post

I thought they were playing the Oliver character as "stiff" purposely, to show how distant he's become after his experiences on the island.

Same here, because there are moments when his guard drops and he is unprepared (like when he was asking the detective on a date) that he relaxes and loses his demeanor.

post #324 of 1303 Old 03-28-2013, 09:45 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Haw! Haw! Comic reference in-joke in last night's episode. Laurel's mom (ALEX KINGSTON) says she's flying back to Central City. She'll be there in a FLASH. Get it? Get it?biggrin.gif
post #325 of 1303 Old 03-28-2013, 09:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:

Haw! Haw! Comic reference in-joke in last night's episode. Laurel's mom (ALEX KINGSTON) says she's flying back to Central City. She'll be there in a FLASH. Get it? Get it?biggrin.gif

Yes I wondered if anyone else would . OMG it took me to last night to figure out Who Alex Kingston was. The lack of accent and straight hair threw me for loop. It nagged at me but then the Doctor's wife popped in my head!
post #326 of 1303 Old 03-28-2013, 12:50 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm surprised more people don't remember her from ER. She was on that far longer than she has been on Doctor Who.

post #327 of 1303 Old 03-28-2013, 12:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMe2 View Post

I'm surprised more people don't remember her from ER. She was on that far longer than she has been on Doctor Who.

Probably because 'Dr. Who' is a more AVS-type of show than ER. More geeky. smile.gif

I never watched a minute of ER. But I'd never miss a minute of the good Doctor.
post #328 of 1303 Old 03-28-2013, 01:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMe2 View Post

I remember. ER was cutting-edge TV drama during it's Clooney/Greene years. I know she's on Doctor Who too, but I don't watch it.

Boy, this was a really bleak episode of Arrow, but it's that kind of mood that sets it apart from the usual television superheroics. And for those commenting on the acting I thought Amell did an excellent job in the closing scenes. Going from about to break down after killing a guy who he empathized with, to his expected billionaire self to face Laurel in a spin.

post #329 of 1303 Old 03-28-2013, 05:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Yeah, I got it. Actually, what she said was she was "taking the red-eye". Flash's costume is red. Get it? eh. yeah. Not so subtle in-joke there.

post #330 of 1303 Old 03-29-2013, 11:30 AM
AVS Special Member

I just have to get this thought out of my brain...

For some reason, I keep imagining Scooby Doo saying the name of this show "Arrow"... I don't know why that is stuck in my brain.

I quite like this show, though.

It is a shame we can't get a couple of shows like this running concurrently so that they could be able to do crossovers. I mean, we can't bring Tom Welling back for a Superman crossover since he had his own Green Arrow in Smallville... but wouldn't it have been a cool thing if they had two shows of this caliber running and could mix them up every now and then?

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page