Forum Jump: 
 21Likes

post #361 of 1206 Old 04-05-2013, 04:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 115

Oliver gets around Starling City even faster than Jack Bauer did in LA. He also must have battle outfits stashed all over town.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 1206 Old 04-05-2013, 05:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 430
Rapid Transit Swinging Zipline Arrow.

Don't leave your lair without one!

post #363 of 1206 Old 04-06-2013, 07:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 29

I can go with some of the plausibility issues like the search warrant timing - and it was pretty clear that Tommy took care of the stuff (God knows how though).  But, some of the rest so defies belief that it makes it difficult to give it a pass.  The instantaneous disappearance from the psych room was the start and there was much more.  Last week's subway still rates right up there.  I hope they can pull themselves back from the completely laughable escapes and make it somewhat realistic within the show's own world at least.  The 2 story lines are fun and well woven together - and this from someone who usually despises flashback stories that keep filling in the details.  This is well handled and, while it does fill-in-some-blanks, it also has a separate story of real interest. 

Ray
"You cannot reason a person out of a position he did not reason himself into in the first place." -Jonathan Swift
post #364 of 1206 Old 04-08-2013, 01:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 40
An Ode to Felicity Smoak, the Coolest Character on Arrow

Recently, I got Hulu on my Xbox, so for the first time in a long time, I can watch current TV. Always seeking the fantastical or the super, I started watching The CW's Arrow. And while I'm always very glad for Oliver's penchant for taking his shirt off, I want to talk about my girl crush on Felicity Smoak (Emily Bett-Rickards) on Arrow.

Sure, Laurel is our star crossed lover-girl. And I'm sure that her love with Oliver Queen is going to be doled out to us in some kind of deliciously long term angsty will- they-or-won't-they true love story line, and I'll love that. Also, I'm assuming that she will, at some point, turn into the Black Canary. After all she did wear fishnets in that one episode in the beginning and she proved that she could kick some mighty ass, not needing any boy to help her out. Then there is Helena Bertinelli. All passion and beauty and revenge. Our Huntress. She'll surely provide some interesting obstacles and chances for Oliver Queen to be all emo. And there is Thea, the sister. An enfant terrible facing her own privilege and growing pains But to me, these are the boring girls of Arrow. They're pretty bland even down to their boring predictable clothes. The really interesting, and in my opinion the greatest girl character in Arrow is Felicity Smoak. She just shines...............................
post #365 of 1206 Old 04-08-2013, 01:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 430
I would not be surprised in the slightest if Felicity is gay/bi. It would be another demo box to tick on her character template.

post #366 of 1206 Old 04-09-2013, 01:48 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
No other character on this show stretches plausibility more than Felicity. At least Oracle was trapped in a wheelchair before becoming a computer genius.
post #367 of 1206 Old 04-10-2013, 06:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post

No other character on this show stretches plausibility more than Felicity. At least Oracle was trapped in a wheelchair before becoming a computer genius.

Well, it is a show about superheroes.  ;)  Honestly, she's no different then many other shows with computer "geeks" like any of the CSI's, NCIS, Person of Interest and those are more "reality" based if you will.  Nothing she has done computer wise has bothered me more then any other show on TV.

Scott
post #368 of 1206 Old 04-10-2013, 11:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:

Not sure what one has to do with the other... being in a wheelchair doesn't make your brain work better somehow. You're either smart of you're not... of all the things to question the reality-stretching on a show like this, Felicity isn't even on my list.

Yeah baby!  It's Halloween!
post #369 of 1206 Old 04-12-2013, 06:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:

I've read some very strange comments on this forum, but this is one of the stranger ones. What does this even mean? Are you suggesting that getting paralyzed suddenly makes you smarter? I'm pretty sure Barbara Gordon was smart before she became Oracle, and just focused her attention on computers when she couldn't be Batgirl anymore. I mean, I have a problem in general with the casual way hackers on TV can just tap in to any phone, computer, or video camera in the world with a few keyboard strokes. TV writers never write hackers in a plausible, realistic way. But there's nothing less plausible about Felicity than any other TV hacker.
post #370 of 1206 Old 04-12-2013, 06:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 367 Post(s)
Liked: 677
Quote:
Originally Posted by vfxproducer View Post

I've read some very strange comments on this forum, but this is one of the stranger ones. What does this even mean? Are you suggesting that getting paralyzed suddenly makes you smarter? I'm pretty sure Barbara Gordon was smart before she became Oracle, and just focused her attention on computers when she couldn't be Batgirl anymore. I mean, I have a problem in general with the casual way hackers on TV can just tap in to any phone, computer, or video camera in the world with a few keyboard strokes. TV writers never write hackers in a plausible, realistic way. But there's nothing less plausible about Felicity than any other TV hacker.

I agree with you on that. It's a cheap plot device and it's waaaay overused. I can sort of let it slide in a superhero show like this, although I'd like the writing to be clever enough to do without it. But in "serious" dramas, it really has no place because what they do is impossible. The NSA probably couldn't do it.
post #371 of 1206 Old 04-13-2013, 10:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

I agree with you on that. It's a cheap plot device and it's waaaay overused. I can sort of let it slide in a superhero show like this, although I'd like the writing to be clever enough to do without it. But in "serious" dramas, it really has no place because what they do is impossible. The NSA probably couldn't do it.

Being an IT guy I roll my eyes at the hacking in most TV shows.  But then again it wouldn't be much fun showing the hacker take two hours to break in so I let it slide.  :)

Scott
post #372 of 1206 Old 04-14-2013, 10:56 AM

Liked: 11

Does anyone know who makes or where I can find that awesome looking computer chair in this picture from the show?

You can never judge a show by its pilot episode or the half season following it.
post #373 of 1206 Old 04-15-2013, 05:02 PM

Quote:

I've read some very strange comments on this forum, but this is one of the stranger ones. What does this even mean? Are you suggesting that getting paralyzed suddenly makes you smarter?
Of course not. That would be stupid.
Quote:
I'm pretty sure Barbara Gordon was smart before she became Oracle, and just focused her attention on computers when she couldn't be Batgirl anymore.
Bingo. See, you understood me just fine.

I actually don't have a problem with the hacking aspect. It's a fantasy series, so I cut them some slack for borderline technology. What's completely unbelievable about Felicity is that she would exist as a person. I work in the IT field. I've met thousands of other IT people over many years. Not once have I met an even mildly attractive female IT person, unless they're in management or sales. The supposed-to-be-normal-but-is-actually-hot-hacker-girl just stretches my believability beyond the breaking point. If you're going to do that and make it plausible, at least give me some reason to think that could happen. Like Oracle being somewhat forced into using her brain instead of her body, or Root on POI being nuts.
post #374 of 1206 Old 04-16-2013, 06:06 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I actually don't have a problem with the hacking aspect. It's a fantasy series, so I cut them some slack for borderline technology. What's completely unbelievable about Felicity is that she would exist as a person. I work in the IT field. I've met thousands of other IT people over many years. Not once have I met an even mildly attractive female IT person, unless they're in management or sales. The supposed-to-be-normal-but-is-actually-hot-hacker-girl just stretches my believability beyond the breaking point. If you're going to do that and make it plausible, at least give me some reason to think that could happen. Like Oracle being somewhat forced into using her brain instead of her body, or Root on POI being nuts.

Why should IT people be treated differently than all the other mostly young, insanely hot cops, doctors, lawyers, janitors, copier salesmen, and pretty much anyone else on a TV show?
post #375 of 1206 Old 04-16-2013, 06:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

Why should IT people be treated differently than all the other mostly young, insanely hot cops, doctors, lawyers, janitors, copier salesmen, and pretty much anyone else on a TV show?

LOL.  Very good point.  TV has hot looking men and women in all professions.  That's why people watch mostly.

As for hot IT chicks, where I work now there are three insanely hot IT chicks (and I mean hot by any standard) in my building.  One is a programmer and the other two are on the help desk and know their stuff.

There are a couple others that are very cute.  I was actually surprised at the number of women in IT at this company.  The last couple companies I've worked had a few women but not many.  But even at those there was always one or two that were pretty hot.

So Felicity being hot doesn't stretch my imagination at all, especially when you consider 98% of all TV actors are good looking to begin with.  :)

Scott
post #376 of 1206 Old 04-16-2013, 08:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:

Of course not. That would be stupid.
Bingo. See, you understood me just fine.

What's completely unbelievable about Felicity is that she would exist as a person. I work in the IT field. I've met thousands of other IT people over many years. Not once have I met an even mildly attractive female IT person, unless they're in management or sales. The supposed-to-be-normal-but-is-actually-hot-hacker-girl just stretches my believability beyond the breaking point. If you're going to do that and make it plausible, at least give me some reason to think that could happen. Like Oracle being somewhat forced into using her brain instead of her body, or Root on POI being nuts.

Ah, if that was your point, then I reject it utterly. I've met several incredibly hot IT girls. Most of them got interested in computers through gaming and building their own gaming systems. Having come from the gaming business, it was not at all unusual to find such girls in the IT or testing departments.
post #377 of 1206 Old 04-16-2013, 08:47 AM
AVS Addicted Member

One of my nieces is an IT girl. And jaw-droppingly gorgeous (I say that as a proud uncle, not some perv, you pervs). She's a real nerd, too. Dresses up for all those nerdy comic-con events; she just loves 'em. She'll be River Tam or Leeloo and every geeky kid in the convention will have to get his picture taken with her. Basically, she's every pimple-faced geek's dream girl. tongue.gif
post #378 of 1206 Old 04-16-2013, 02:46 PM

Quote:
TV has hot looking men and women in all professions.
True, and all those other professions mentioned are full of hot looking men and women working in them in real life.

Let me clarify. I've never met an attractive IT engineer. Someone who can do system administration, and programs, and builds servers. Someone that writes regex queries, and knows what "2>&1" means. And that's just the entry level stuff. An uber-hacker like Felicity would be extraordinary. If you're going to create an extraordinary character, than I need an extraordinary background to make that character believable. Ollie had to be stranded on an island for 5 years. Where's Felicity's background story?
Quote:
She's a real nerd, too. Dresses up for all those nerdy comic-con events; she just loves 'em.
Nerdy has nothing to do with this. Being "nerdy" has become trendy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ir3v5yDk9Ws
post #379 of 1206 Old 04-16-2013, 03:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

True, and all those other professions mentioned are full of hot looking men and women working in them in real life.

Let me clarify. I've never met an attractive IT engineer. Someone who can do system administration, and programs, and builds servers. Someone that writes regex queries, and knows what "2>&1" means. And that's just the entry level stuff. An uber-hacker like Felicity would be extraordinary. If you're going to create an extraordinary character, than I need an extraordinary background to make that character believable. Ollie had to be stranded on an island for 5 years. Where's Felicity's background story?
Nerdy has nothing to do with this. Being "nerdy" has become trendy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ir3v5yDk9Ws

1) Just because you never met a hot-looking IT girl, you honestly think they don't exist? Maybe they're avoiding you. tongue.gif
2) What I meant was she dresses up like River Tam or Leeloo or some other scantily clad genre fantasy babe for these conventions. Meaning she's got the face & figure for it, and she enjoys doing it. That's why she's every nerd's dream-girl. Hope we're clear now. rolleyes.gif
post #380 of 1206 Old 04-17-2013, 04:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Finally caught up. I'm still fine with Arrow even though there are a lot of holes. Also, love Celina Jade. One problem I have is I'm not sure who is more annoying Laurel's Dad or Tommy... Malcom really kills me... mastermind criminal and all of a sudden seemingly he's an arrow export that knows what's going down all the time... ?

My Summer Motto: "When Nature turns off the damn heat I'll turn off my A/C"
post #381 of 1206 Old 04-17-2013, 10:30 AM
AVS Special Member

I think if your IT department is younger you'll have a higher chance of having women working there.  If your IT shop is older it's going to be more dudes.

One of the support desk gals that is a super hottie is kinda what you envision as a "gamer girl" these days.  About 20, hair in 3 different colors, nose ring and super, super hot.  A 9 easy.  And she's a huge gamer, would kick my butt in any game out there that's for sure.  And of course she knows her stuff in IT as well.  I would say Felicity most reminds me of her so very possible in my book.

The other gal there is also super hot, perhaps an 8.  A bit older, about 30, just had a kid.  But she is smoking.  And again, knows her stuff.

One of the programmers is pretty hot, maybe a 7. 

Also quite a few hot girls in QA.  Although QA tends to be less technical, but even QA used to be all guys just 10 years ago.

I see a lot of inroads women (hot and not) have made in the IT industry in the past 10 years at the various companies I've worked for.

Yes there are plenty of girls (and guys) that claim to be geeks or nerds or whatnot because it's actually kinda "cool" in a way these days.  But there are plenty of "real" nerds out there.

Scott
post #382 of 1206 Old 04-17-2013, 10:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Ah, if that was your point, then I reject it utterly. I've met several incredibly hot IT girls. Most of them got interested in computers through gaming and building their own gaming systems. Having come from the gaming business, it was not at all unusual to find such girls in the IT or testing departments.
Ditto I know of one in the IT who is very attractive, Another who is not hard on the eyes and no beast. Both under 30.
post #383 of 1206 Old 04-17-2013, 10:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked: 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wytchone View Post

Another who is not hard on the eyes and no beast.

That's one way of putting it! biggrin.gif
post #384 of 1206 Old 04-17-2013, 11:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus33 View Post

That's one way of putting it! biggrin.gif
Hahah sorry, Maybe a Southern thing?
post #385 of 1206 Old 04-17-2013, 11:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked: 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wytchone View Post

Hahah sorry, Maybe a Southern thing?

No apology necessary. I thought it was quite funny and will implement it into my vocabulary. tongue.gif
post #386 of 1206 Old 04-17-2013, 05:11 PM

I stand by my statement. If they exist, they're incredibly rare. I've worked in IT for a long time, in many different places, and with a broad age range - from teens and early twenties to practically retired. Help desk, programmers, QA - none of these are engineering positions.

THIS is what a group of engineers looks like:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-7EQ8jfNDmFE/UUnyczbBOKI/AAAAAAAAAeQ/4-lZ9IUGvV4/s1600/WAT+Arrow+team.JPG
post #387 of 1206 Old 04-17-2013, 05:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipfreak View Post

Finally caught up. I'm still fine with Arrow even though there are a lot of holes. Also, love Celina Jade. One problem I have is I'm not sure who is more annoying Laurel's Dad or Tommy... Malcom really kills me... mastermind criminal and all of a sudden seemingly he's an arrow export that knows what's going down all the time... ?

Well Laurel's dad could use a wardrobe makeover. His one outfit looks like he sleeps in it.

post #388 of 1206 Old 04-17-2013, 07:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I stand by my statement. If they exist, they're incredibly rare. I've worked in IT for a long time, in many different places, and with a broad age range - from teens and early twenties to practically retired. Help desk, programmers, QA - none of these are engineering positions.

THIS is what a group of engineers looks like:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-7EQ8jfNDmFE/UUnyczbBOKI/AAAAAAAAAeQ/4-lZ9IUGvV4/s1600/WAT+Arrow+team.JPG

Well, we aren't talking about engineers.  We're talking about IT in general as well as "geeks" and "hackers".  Perhaps there aren't many women in engineering (and I'd agree) but there are plenty of women (hot and not) all throughout IT organizations, at least in regular companies (Pharma, banking, etc.)

Scott
post #389 of 1206 Old 04-18-2013, 12:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Stop and take a breath...

Think of ALL the concepts on Arrow so far...

The island, how quickly Oliver changed in personality and skill on that island, his whole Arrow-cave setup, the mom & dad super-villain club, and on and on and on...

And the most unbelievable thing that has taken pages of questioning? A pretty IT girl?

That's the least unbelievable thing about the show... and I'm not even complaining about the unbelievable stuff smile.gif

Yeah baby!  It's Halloween!
post #390 of 1206 Old 04-18-2013, 01:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page