AVS Forum banner

"Arrow" on The CW HD

108K views 2K replies 144 participants last post by  TitusTroy 
#1 ·
 First Look

Old Smallville costume:

New Robin Hood-"esque" Arrow look.

IMO the Smallvile one is better. They go a bit too dark here. GA is not Bats.

Thoughts?

See less See more
#403 ·

Also keep in mind that this is kinda Green Arrow "year 1" in that he's just starting out.   Yea, he's a badarss from his 5 years on the island, but he's by no means perfect or invincible.  He has no superpower, never did in the comics either.  He was a knockoff of sorts of Batman, another hero with no superpowers.  Both are just a step down from Captain America who also has no superpowers but is the best a human can be without being superhuman.

But even given all that, it doesn't mean Ollie can't make mistakes as he's figuring it all out.  Give him a few more years and you'll have the GA that was on Smallville.  :)

#407 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonscott87  /t/1400851/arrow-on-the-cw-hd/390#post_23257994

Also keep in mind that this is kinda Green Arrow "year 1" in that he's just starting out. Yea, he's a badarss from his 5 years on the island, but he's by no means perfect or invincible. He has no superpower, never did in the comics either. He was a knockoff of sorts of Batman, another hero with no superpowers. Both are just a step down from Captain America who also has no superpowers but is the best a human can be without being superhuman.

But even given all that, it doesn't mean Ollie can't make mistakes as he's figuring it all out. Give him a few more years and you'll have the GA that was on Smallville.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMe2  /t/1400851/arrow-on-the-cw-hd/390#post_23260282

Yes... This is Green Arrow Year One heavily influenced by "The Longbow Hunters" mini-series which had a more aggressive willing-to-kill version of the character.

I was hoping that this was the direction they would take with Arrow.

Ahh ok, so there was never anything special about Green Arrow that the island brought out of him? There was the episode where he disarmed a man on the island--which seemed to surprise him and...can't think of the other guys name(Crixus?)--he seemed to do it instinctively after having seen it before (actually I think it was done to him before in training)--So I thought maybe they were going to make it as though he learned VERY quickly, and then proved superior to those that instructed him, but now it's looking like it might take a while.

And meanwhile, his ability off the island varies from episode to episode...one second, he can flick his wrist and disarm a cop in an instant (pinning the gun against a wall)...which would make you think he's got CRAZY skills--and then the next thing you know, some girl with daddy-issues is able to shoot his girlfriend in the leg right in front of him.

Don't get me wrong, I'm enjoying this series--but sometimes they make him too ordinary I think.

lol it reminds me of how jedi are depicted...in one story they're powerful, the next they're lame...can't even block a blaster bolt.

#408 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediMastr  /t/1400851/arrow-on-the-cw-hd/390#post_23261605

And meanwhile, his ability off the island varies from episode to episode...one second, he can flick his wrist and disarm a cop in an instant (pinning the gun against a wall)...which would make you think he's got CRAZY skills--and then the next thing you know, some girl with daddy-issues is able to shoot his girlfriend in the leg right in front of him.

Don't get me wrong, I'm enjoying this series--but sometimes they make him too ordinary I think.

I can't recall the exact scene, but I like that aspect.  It's shows he's not perfect.  You get into his head and mess with it and he "blinks", get him distracted and he's not on his "A" game.  All in all it makes him human.

#410 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediMastr  /t/1400851/arrow-on-the-cw-hd/390#post_23261605

What was it Bruce Lee said? He wasn't frightened of a man who had practiced a thousand moves once, but he was afraid of a man who had practiced one move a thousand times.

Clearly Queen really practiced the disarming weapons move but skimped on some other areas.

#411 ·
The show is on a roll right now. Revelations and backstory are flowing thick and fast and its cool to see they are not dragging out plot and relationship factors very long. I'm impressed by how much double-crossing is going on. I'm surprised the show hasn't run out of daggers from everyone stabbing each other in the back.

And I really like Amell's barely contained anger. He does that very well. Not so sure about his flashback playboy act however. The makeup is just as odd as his island fright wig.

So I can understand that Queen can hire or buy a plane to jump from, but under what pretense did he jump out? Did he just tell the pilot he wanted to have some fun by pretending he was special ops by parachuting out at night?

Otherwise a solid episode all round. Not quite as action-packed as last week but the hallway fight was pretty good. Not "The Raid" good, but entertaining nonetheless.

#413 ·
A different kind of 'Arrow' this week. No Island-of-Doom™ flashbacks or insane workout routines. But lots of backstory that clarifies some of the show's hazy mythology. The pre-Island flashbacks were a little disconcerting since Laurel looked and acted exactly the same as she does 6 years later. Couldn't they at least have put her hair up in a ponytail or something? And Digger's estrangement from Ollie lasted less than one complete episode. But lots of Felicity, including appearing in a low-cut evening gown! My goodness that's a fine lookin' woman.

#414 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMe2  /t/1400851/arrow-on-the-cw-hd/390#post_23272556

Until they showed the reconciliation with Diggle at the end... I thought maybe he would have went to Diggle and had him fly a private plane... but that went out the window... so maybe he just jumped from a nearby taller building or something?

He definitely jumped from a plane. You could see it flying away. Something like a C130.

Plus Felicity said there were no tall buildings in that area.

#415 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn  /t/1400851/arrow-on-the-cw-hd/390#post_23272831

He definitely jumped from a plane. You could see it flying away. Something like a C130.

What no talk about Felicity in her dress?!?

What is wrong with you guys?

#417 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy  /t/1400851/arrow-on-the-cw-hd/390#post_23272619

But lots of backstory that clarifies some of the show's hazy mythology.

I like that they showed that the group supposedly originally got together to do basically exactly what Ollie is doing - finding bad guys, and getting them to do right. Like the person the group was going to blackmail to donate money for better police communications equipment. Of course Captain Jack was already evil unbeknownst to them, and Ollie's dad had murdered somebody, so they were no saints, but at least Captain Jack seemed to have convinced the others in the cabal that what they were doing was for the betterment of the city and to atone for their own sins. They weren't all just out and out crime bosses looking to make a buck. I also like that they showed the Chinese guy as a collaborator in Ollie's dad's death. Then it makes it totally OK that Moira stabbed him in the back a few episodes ago. Suddenly, Moira's not just an evil ***** anymore. This episode had a LOT of unexpected character development. One of the best ones yet.

#418 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wytchone  /t/1400851/arrow-on-the-cw-hd/390#post_23275080

What no talk about Felicity in her dress?!?

What is wrong with you guys?

Felicity is just fulfilling her character template that I outlined as soon as she appeared.

This will be the second time she has magically removed her nerd specs to be transformed into a hot girl to go undercover. I also had to laugh when Felicity referred to Lauren as "the gorgeous Lauren" as if Felicity thought she had a face like a deformed walrus by comparison.

#419 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by vfxproducer  /t/1400851/arrow-on-the-cw-hd/390#post_23275145

This episode had a LOT of unexpected character development. One of the best ones yet.

I enjoyed the audience tease with Island Ollie learning archery. When he was

led back into the airplane the camera was positioned as if he was going to demonstrate shooting something out of the air. As if he had somehow ludicrously been trained to become Green Arrow in one day.

Then just before Shado was confidently about to give a demo of Ollie's skills, all the bad guys burst in.

#420 ·
While I still watch the show, I'm starting to hate all the characters except Digs...just too emo. Ollie needs to get off the estrogen, it's making his face puffy.

#421 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn  /t/1400851/arrow-on-the-cw-hd/390#post_23275262

Quote:
Originally Posted by vfxproducer  /t/1400851/arrow-on-the-cw-hd/390#post_23275145

This episode had a LOT of unexpected character development. One of the best ones yet.

I enjoyed the audience tease with Island Ollie learning archery. When he was

led back into the airplane the camera was positioned as if he was going to demonstrate shooting something out of the air. As if he had somehow ludicrously been trained to become Green Arrow in one day.

Then just before Shado was confidently about to give a demo of Ollie's skills, all the bad guys burst in.

That was two weeks ago. We didn't get any new developments from island flashbacks this week. I agree with vfxproducer that the alternative flashback scenario this week provided good backstory, although Amell really doesn't do the playboy routine very well.

#422 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn  /t/1400851/arrow-on-the-cw-hd/400_50#post_23272831

Somehow I missed the plane... and I forgot she said that. I can't think of anyone unless Tommy somehow was involved... maybe Ollie asked Tommy to help out with the plane?

#423 ·
Tommy hates him, so Oliver surely didn't ask for his help. Oliver is a billionaire, so he wouldn't have had any trouble getting an airlift to a random location at a moment's notice. We just have to accept that nobody except Felicity ever gets suspicious about his "eccentric" requests.

#424 ·
What are you guys talking about? You mean there was more to the show after Felicity made her hilarious gaffe to Oliver while in the gambling establishment?

I know some people have been complaining she is too attractive to be in IT, but sometimes to me she feels like the most 'real' character on the show. I mean she is obviously crushing on Oliver big time and trying not to show it because she believes he is out of her league, and yet then she blurts out something stupid like we have all done before. And then I liked how she was the driving force behind finding Walter, yet when she shows up at the hospital you could see the hurt on her face when the others virtually snubbed her. I like how an unknown actress with almost nothing else on her resume managed to turn a one scene guest starring role into a character who is now sort of the moral conscience of the show.

And did I fall through a time warp or something? I could imagine it happening back in the 1970s in the era of 'Starsky and Hutch' and other shows of that ilk, but I find it hard to believe a show can be on the air in 2013 where the main hero character blithely kills at least ten people in an episode and nobody is outraged or complains. I guess as long as he uses a bow rather than a gun, it must be okay! (Not that I am objecting, I enjoy the show, but it has to be one of the more violent shows on the air and I'm surprised no one is protesting. Of course, it is on the CW which no one watches.)

Duane

#426 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuaneAA  /t/1400851/arrow-on-the-cw-hd/420#post_23276648

I could imagine it happening back in the 1970s in the era of 'Starsky and Hutch' and other shows of that ilk, but I find it hard to believe a show can be on the air in 2013 where the main hero character blithely kills at least ten people in an episode and nobody is outraged or complains. I guess as long as he uses a bow rather than a gun, it must be okay! (Not that I am objecting, I enjoy the show, but it has to be one of the more violent shows on the air and I'm surprised no one is protesting. Of course, it is on the CW which no one watches.)

You must not watch other networks, then. Compared to the gory houses of horror that play out each week on the myriad of police procedurals, Arrow is tasteful and reserved.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.