"Arrow" on The CW HD - Page 19 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #541 of 1073 Old 10-31-2013, 10:59 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
So Alderman Blood is BROTHER BLOOD. Wonder if they will take him back to his comic book roots in NEW TEEN TITANS or closer to the animated version in TEEN TITANS.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 1073 Old 10-31-2013, 08:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 267
I'm starting to lose interest in this season. The things I liked most about the previous season, namely Oliver taking a realistic stance against criminals and the lack of stereotypical supervillains, have been removed, which makes the show less appealing to me. Arrow is going kitsch, and I'm disappointed. The fact that the island flashbacks are less well integrated and seem to be a rehash of last season's plot isn't helping, either.
post #543 of 1073 Old 11-01-2013, 05:43 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 546
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post

I'm starting to lose interest in this season. The things I liked most about the previous season, namely Oliver taking a realistic stance against criminals and the lack of stereotypical supervillains, have been removed, which makes the show less appealing to me. Arrow is going kitsch, and I'm disappointed. The fact that the island flashbacks are less well integrated and seem to be a rehash of last season's plot isn't helping, either.

I agree that Ollie's new stance of not shooting fatal arrows is kind of silly and completely unnecessary. Especially when someone (with really bad aim) is firing hundreds of rounds from automatic weapons at you. C'mon. They're evildoer redshirt henchmen - they exist to be wasted. rolleyes.gif

As for the Isle o' Doom, they've been leading into a more promising storyline there, one that will feature Sara. And since she mentioned Slade, he's not yet dead in the flashback world! Yea!!
post #544 of 1073 Old 11-01-2013, 03:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Looks like mike1218 got it right about Sarah! Way to go!

Two things about the episode. And they are annoyances. What is it the actress playing Sarah does with her mouth after every line. She like purses her lips up a bit Ina slightly tough guy wannabe look. Started driving me crazy. Also thought Colton's scene at the guns for cash pavilion was not well executed. Either his acting or the editing...it was awkward.
mike1812 likes this.
post #545 of 1073 Old 11-03-2013, 04:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 33
I'm loving the new characters they've added.

Laural is so F*cking annoying this season...

"Health care has enough problems without you punks" - Diggles Absolutely ****ING HILARIOUS and So ****ing True! LOLOL

Finally caught up.

My Summer Motto: "When Nature turns off the damn heat I'll turn off my A/C"
post #546 of 1073 Old 11-03-2013, 05:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipfreak View Post

I'm loving the new characters they've added.

Finally caught up.
Me too! Had an Arrow fest last night and I agree about Laural, get over it girl!
post #547 of 1073 Old 11-03-2013, 11:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 242
Add me to the Laurel-is-annoying list. the more episodes this season, the more I wish she would fade out from the main story. the romance angle is done, her character really doesn't add anything substantial to the main story the show is presenting. she's not sympathetic, just whiny tongue.gif

Felicity runs circles around her on having moxie, intelligence, eager to help Ollie even though she may disagree with his decisions. And I also find the island sequences too short & disjointed this season, not enough time spent. show should spend less time on Laurel Angst & more time with the island background.

Sara as Canary - I didn't see that coming. But I kind of wish Summer Glau's and her character was it. Summer always adds an other-worldly aspect to her roles and this would fit.

Not sure what to make of Sin's butch-punk character. is she a punker, a butch, or an Lisabeth Salander clone (Girl with Dragon Tatoo). Based on a line in the last episode, Sara and she both came across as having some man issues so my 1st thought was...wink.gif

Steve
post #548 of 1073 Old 11-03-2013, 02:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipfreak View Post

Ditto. She can be ejected from the series at any point and not be missed by anyone.

Summer needs a better part. The occasional dropping by to remind Ollie that he doesn't have much money and can't do anything without her permission is a waste of her talents. They could have cast any D list actor for that role. I hope they have more in store for her in the future.

I want Felicity and Sarah to team with the Huntress and form Birds of Prey. Yeah, I know Felicity isn't Bat Girl. It would still be a good team.
post #549 of 1073 Old 11-03-2013, 03:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Why is everyone is so down on Laurel? The Sarah girl is borderline fat and not so pretty. I have a hard time imagining her jumping off rooftops even in this make-believe movie. The island girl, on the other hand, is fit and pretty.

Also, they could have picked a better actor to play the Arrow. The guy is supposed to be a playboy, ladyman type, yet he isn't charming and can't communicate well. I so wish someone like Neal Caffrey of White Collar or Michael Westin of Burn Notice was the Arrow instead.
post #550 of 1073 Old 11-03-2013, 04:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 334
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidt1 View Post

Why is everyone is so down on Laurel?

Because she is lacking an interesting personality and her only role last season was to provide the third point in a love triangle. No triangle, no romance, not interesting - no reason for her to exist.
Quote:
Also, they could have picked a better actor to play the Arrow. The guy is supposed to be a playboy, ladyman type, yet he isn't charming and can't communicate well.

I think Amell is doing a fine job of slowly breaking his shell, as evidenced by this week and his burst of frustration. You are completely missing the point of his character. He was a rich over-privileged kid. He isn't after being on the island. Now he's withdrawn and isolated and the only reason he has his playboy reputation is that people who don't know him well still think he is the same guy.

post #551 of 1073 Old 11-03-2013, 05:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

I agree that Ollie's new stance of not shooting fatal arrows is kind of silly and completely unnecessary. Especially when someone (with really bad aim) is firing hundreds of rounds from automatic weapons at you. C'mon. They're evildoer redshirt henchmen - they exist to be wasted. rolleyes.gif

How is that different to Batman and Superman? Or any of the other many, many supergood superheroes? Even Nolan Batman never directly killed anyone, despite the mass murderers he was up against, the amount of cars he was directly involved in totaling and the kevlar reinforced punches to the skull he gave them.

By comparison Arrow is the most violent superhero ever put on TV. He still severely injures (and tortures) people and when he is good enough to take out guys with a well placed arrow in a survivable body part then he doesn't need to kill them. Especially when there are plenty of other people willing to kill without remorse on the show. I wouldn't be surprised if the show has upped the level of killing to directly acknowledge that Ollie needs to pull back because otherwise he will be just like everyone else roaming the city. I would also not be surprised at all if Ollie kills someone again with great reluctance and it becomes an emotional setback.

Speaking of which, this show is starting to suffer the old problem of too many "specials" now. Starling City is beginning to have more superheroes and villains than regular people. I was happy to see just a regular thug creating trouble this week, but was not happy to see the reveal at the end.

Still, this week contained enough fun stuff and witty dialog to keep things moving and kudos for not dragging out Black Canary. Arrow shooting a grenade out of the air was excellent! I also liked the response to the opening response to Diggle about "the heavier the secret, the harder it is to move" of "You've seen how hard I work out." which was quite clever and worked on an amusing level and as a subtle commentary about Ollie's mindset.

post #552 of 1073 Old 11-03-2013, 05:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Actually my point is I think he is terrible at having two identities. Your secret personality should be completely different from your normal personality to make things interesting. He is exactly the same guy with same dull personality whether he is shooting arrows or attending board meetings. The contrast that would really work is something like "the mild manner professor during the day and crazy serial killer at night" concept. Otherwise what's the point of having a secret identity. His new stance of being a vigilante who don't want to kill bad guys make things even worse.

The best example I can think of is the guy who played the role of Jekyll and Hyde the BBC version. During the day he is this timid loving husband. At night he is a human monster. He is so good at it that I feel like I am watching a completely different actor. With Oliver, there is zero personality change.
post #553 of 1073 Old 11-03-2013, 05:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidt1 View Post

He is exactly the same guy with same dull personality whether he is shooting arrows or attending board meetings.

That's the point. They are the same guy. Queen is the guy on the island. He isn't dull either. He's withdrawn. Now, Laurel she is dull.

The only difference between Arrow and Queen is that he wears a mask when he goes out. He isn't pretending to be something that he isn't when not dressed as Arrow. The "playboy" tag only exists because that's how he is still seen, but he never intentionally tries to live up to it now and stopped trying to last season. You've seen that all season from becoming CEO to setting up charity drives and last season he could barely manage to go on a date and run a nightclub in an attempt to maintain his previous personality. Just as Tony Stark is Iron Man with or without the suit, Ollie is Arrow all the time. He just chooses when to shoot someone with an arrow and makes sure the cops don't recognize him for you know, breaking the law.

An extreme of secret identities is ridiculous. That's why Superman is still ridiculed for just wearing glasses and being unrecognizable.

NSFW!

post #554 of 1073 Old 11-03-2013, 07:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 47
I'm very glad the show is on TV, I finally found another show to watch. Looks like the CW is getting to be more and more like the old WB.
post #555 of 1073 Old 11-03-2013, 08:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebkell View Post

I'm very glad the show is on TV, I finally found another show to watch. Looks like the CW is getting to be more and more like the old WB.

That's because they finally replaced Dawn Ostroff as president with Mark Pedowitz. The new guy decided that maybe just trying to aim at teenage girls all the time wasn't that great of a plan for a network broadcaster. It still aims for a similar age group at times but at least the shows seem to have a bit of something for everyone now.

post #556 of 1073 Old 11-03-2013, 08:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss9001 View Post

Not sure what to make of Sin's butch-punk character. is she a punker, a butch, or an Lisabeth Salander clone (Girl with Dragon Tatoo). Based on a line in the last episode, Sara and she both came across as having some man issues so my 1st thought was...wink.gif

She reminds a lot of the same type character she played on this last season of 'The Killing'.
post #557 of 1073 Old 11-03-2013, 08:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I am really hoping Sin is a lesbian because I do not want to see another love triangle with Thea and Sin fighting over Roy.

post #558 of 1073 Old 11-04-2013, 12:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Hey, also I've noticed several mentions of Star Labs on background TV broadcasts in the show. Most recently in this week's episode where they talk about protests at a particle accelerator. Are they building to something with that, or is this just a fanboy wink to the DC Universe?
post #559 of 1073 Old 11-04-2013, 10:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I was curious how they were going to address that Sara looks so much different now than she did in the earlier flashback scenes.

I guess just re-shooting some of those flashback scenes with the new Sara was one way to do it.
post #560 of 1073 Old 11-04-2013, 11:03 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by vfxproducer View Post

Hey, also I've noticed several mentions of Star Labs on background TV broadcasts in the show. Most recently in this week's episode where they talk about protests at a particle accelerator. Are they building to something with that, or is this just a fanboy wink to the DC Universe?

It was revealed months ago that this season would see the introduction of the The Flash, so not just a wink, it's a buildup.
post #561 of 1073 Old 11-04-2013, 06:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post

How is that different to Batman and Superman? Or any of the other many, many supergood superheroes?

It isn't, and that's the problem. This show started out by differentiating itself from the other superhero shows by having a hero with a more realistic world view, and now he's devolving into the same type of goody-goody as everyone else. They should have made the show that way from the start, instead of giving us a refreshing glimpse of something less Pollyannaish than usual, and then taking it away.
post #562 of 1073 Old 11-04-2013, 06:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post

Quote:

How is that different to Batman and Superman? Or any of the other many, many supergood superheroes?

It isn't, and that's the problem. This show started out by differentiating itself from the other superhero shows by having a hero with a more realistic world view, and now he's devolving into the same type of goody-goody as everyone else. They should have made the show that way from the start, instead of giving us a refreshing glimpse of something less Pollyannaish than usual, and then taking it away.

And in the rest of that post you edited I clearly pointed out he has already established himself as not a pure white hat good guy. He is still the most violent superhero on television and I fully expect him to kill again for a justifiable plot point later. So by "taking something away" it only serves to be more dramatic if he falls back later.

post #563 of 1073 Old 11-04-2013, 06:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

And in the rest of that post you edited

I assume you mean "quoted".
post #564 of 1073 Old 11-05-2013, 08:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1812 View Post

It was revealed months ago that this season would see the introduction of the The Flash, so not just a wink, it's a buildup.

Ah, that's right, I had forgotten that they were going to introduce The Flash this season. Thanks.
post #565 of 1073 Old 11-06-2013, 06:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 36
One of the best episodes of the series tonight. Great emotion. My quibbles of the Sara/Canary actress were alleviated by her performance tonight. This is a great story this season.

So Canary's line "mind your surroundings"... Just a nod to other DC properties or a more direct tie-in to the League of Shadows we know from the Dark Knight trilogy? It was certainly intentional. How fun if Liam Neeson cameoed? I know that won't happen but it sure would be amazing!

Speaking of which, I've been reading several news tidbits and articles of speculation about if and how Arrow could tie in to the DC cinematic universe. I certainly think Amell has the chops for it, and the show is nicely grounded to fit in. But in other ways, it can't with the direction they are going. Here's one of the better editorials I've read that looks at both sides: http://www.superheromoviesnews.com/2013/11/editorial-should-arrow-be-part-of-dc.html
post #566 of 1073 Old 11-06-2013, 09:59 PM
AVS Special Member

So the contraction Sarah made shot some kind mini arrows into her attacker's leg but did nothing to him? The stuff that went into his leg should have killed him or at least disabled him. Otherwise, what's the point of making it in the first place? I know TV shows are supposed to be stupid sometimes but common.

And why does Lance Quentin have to keep Sarah's return a secret from his family. The guys who went after her already knew that she is still alive and has a family. She let one them go so he can tell his boss to leave her family alone. How does not telling Laurel and her mom that Sarah is alive protect them from the bad guys?
post #567 of 1073 Old 11-06-2013, 11:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
So the contraction Sarah made shot some kind mini arrows into her attacker's leg but did nothing to him?

I hope you meant CONTRAPTION. biggrin.gif

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
post #568 of 1073 Old 11-07-2013, 06:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
She's pregnant with Oliver's baby and it shot tiny arrows.

YOU ARE READING AVS FORUM

post #569 of 1073 Old 11-07-2013, 04:48 PM
AVS Special Member

LOL

Yeah, I mistyped the word. But I am glad I did because I get to enjoy the hilarious comments as a result.
post #570 of 1073 Old 11-07-2013, 11:15 PM
AVS Special Member

I thought Sara's reveal to Quentin was pretty anti-climactic. When she said she was going to go protect him, I assumed she was going to don her spandex and crouch outside his window. Instead, she just walks up to him and says she's not dead... That's it? This episode was pretty good, but I'm kind of annoyed at them for dallying in the flashbacks and continuing to obfuscate Slade's and Shado's fate just to watch Oliver and Sara languish in cages. There was enough of that in the first season, but they're dragging this out, anyway.
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page