Forum Jump: 
 5Likes

post #601 of 1124 Old 11-21-2013, 11:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 36
I definitely think she looks awful. She needs to lay off the plastics, botox, or whatever else. She's entirely fake now and that, to me, isn't the least bit attractive.
videobruce likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #602 of 1124 Old 11-21-2013, 04:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 387
Even Katie Cassidy's teeth looked new this week! Plus the Dollmaker has been released too, so if he captures Laurel again by next season Katie Cassidy is going to look like an Auton.

I saw Thea being Merlyn's daughter coming as soon as Moira came clean about the affair. Did not see Merlyn still being alive though. Holy balls, that came out of nowhere for me! I was trying to figure out who the powerful person that the Count was working for was and figured he fixed the jury based on how implausible the outcome, but Merlyn did not cross my mind. I did not even connect the dots when Sara started talking about whatever is on the submarine being able to save people.

Not surprised that Ollie killed again because it's the nature of this type of fiction that a reformed killer will always take a life to serve the story during the journey. I am surprised the show wasted the dramatic beat on someone as lame as the Count though. I figured it would be in a finale versus a powerful or familiar face.

post #603 of 1124 Old 11-21-2013, 09:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked: 345
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post

Plus the Dollmaker has been released too, so if he captures Laurel again by next season Katie Cassidy is going to look like an Auton.

That was in the "six months ago" flashback explaining how he got out in the first place. Sara killed him when he captured Laurel.
Quote:

I was trying to figure out who the powerful person that the Count was working for was and figured he fixed the jury based on how implausible the outcome, but Merlyn did not cross my mind.

I was thinking that the Blood guy had rigged the jury, but I didn't expect it to have been Malcom. I'm kind of disappointed that they chose to un-kill him: it's such a cliche for the hero's arch-nemesis to cheat death "somehow".
post #604 of 1124 Old 11-21-2013, 09:38 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post

Quote:

Plus the Dollmaker has been released too, so if he captures Laurel again by next season Katie Cassidy is going to look like an Auton.

That was in the "six months ago" flashback explaining how he got out in the first place. Sara killed him when he captured Laurel.

Of course! I completely blanked on his demise.

post #605 of 1124 Old 11-22-2013, 05:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 22

I've been pretty positive all along that Malcom was alive.  No way they would actually kill him off.  As soon they dropped her off in the parking lot I immediately said to my wife "it's gotta be Malcom!" and it was.

Thea makes sense as well.  You can see them ratcheting up her annoyance in Oliver the past few episodes, perhaps setting her up to be the villan many of us thought Tommy would become.

All good "comic book" twists.

Scott
post #606 of 1124 Old 11-22-2013, 06:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked: 326
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vidop View Post

This topic has been mentioned earlier. But, last night's episode brought it back to mind. "Laurel" almost looked scary. I.E.-her face appeared (to me) to just be skin stretched over bone. IOW-she looked emaciated/anorexic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpeacock22 View Post

I definitely think she looks awful. She needs to lay off the plastics, botox, or whatever else. She's entirely fake now and that, to me, isn't the least bit attractive.

yes, her face looks a lot thinner and angular - to me, she just plain looks bad, not attractive at all...doesn't look real, plastic-y, like a dollface tongue.gif

hopefully, she hasn't succumbed to going under the knife. wonder if they are deliberately have her thin down or the show is using some makeup effect to make her look sickly over events. or maybe the actress needs an intervention eek.gif

the actress playing Felicity looks a lot prettier & sexier.

Steve
post #607 of 1124 Old 11-22-2013, 08:13 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 328 Post(s)
Liked: 650
We've been discussing the change in Katie Cassidy's appearance all season. If ya'll recall, I even thought the Laurel character had been recast. But plastic surgery doesn't make any sense for someone so beautiful and flawless to begin with and who's only 26 years old! Maybe it's a severe diet or something. Considering how hot she was last year, that doesn't make any sense either. It's weird.

I know it's pretty silly to have Merlin come back after taking an arrow through the chest, but like the man said, it's a comic book! And that gives them a tie-in to the secret Japanese life-enhancing/renewal formula back on the Isle o' Doom™.
videobruce likes this.
post #608 of 1124 Old 11-22-2013, 02:00 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
After Moira's confession about the long ago affair with Malcolm, I knew one of the Queen kids was going to be his. I could almost picture Oliver's mad archery skills being a genetic gift from Malcolm. But I guess he couldn't be OLIVER QUEEN if he wasn't a Queen.

I hope the Moira on trial plot line is now behind us. It has been one of the slowest parts of the show. And I'm tired of seeing her in prison garb.

After the comments during the previous episode about the chemistry between Oliver and Felicity, I almost expected one of them to lean in for a kiss during their conversation after the death of the Count. My money would have been on Felicity to have been the impulsive one.

Duane
post #609 of 1124 Old 11-22-2013, 02:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Poor Felicity. Lol

My Summer Motto: "When Nature turns off the damn heat I'll turn off my A/C"
post #610 of 1124 Old 11-22-2013, 02:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

And that gives them a tie-in to the secret Japanese life-enhancing/renewal formula back on the Isle o' Doom™.

Which, along with the tie-in to Ras Al Ghul, I'm thinking may be a lazarus pit or some variation thereof for the show.
post #611 of 1124 Old 11-22-2013, 03:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 111

My problem with Merlin reappearing is the longshot of a Torchwood resurrection is now longer. 

post #612 of 1124 Old 11-22-2013, 05:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett Adams View Post

My problem with Merlin reappearing is the longshot of a Torchwood resurrection is now longer. 

While the miniseries "Children of Earth" was good, the one that came after was, um, not so good. People were afraid it would sink the series forever. I went to IMBD to try and recollect the name of it. And what did I find but another 'Torchwood' series called "Web of Lies" from 2011 onward, co-starring along with Torchwood stalwarts Barrowman and Eve Myles, none other than Eliza Dushku! Has anyone seen any of this?
post #613 of 1124 Old 11-23-2013, 07:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

While the miniseries "Children of Earth" was good, the one that came after was, um, not so good. People were afraid it would sink the series forever.

I haven't seen the other you referred to but I agree with your opinion on Miracle Day tongue.gif too long, too wandering, too little story meat for the time expended watching it and some really annoying characters (the redhead and the witch-in-charge who I haven't liked going back to her Law & Order appearances - she always played some nutty whackjob)

personally, I did like Torchwood the series & CoE but would not be teary eyed if Torchwood never came back. MD fixed that for me wink.gif Children of Earth was decent and Miracle Day could have been if it had been 3-5 eps with tighter control of story line, and not 10.

I also think Barrowman as an actor should take every opportunity to break out of a single role and stretch his abilities, even as a character actor. the same was true of David Tennant, once he left Dr Who. He was pretty good in Broadchurch and can be a serious actor (Shakespeare).

Orphan Black should do the same for Tatiana Maslany. She deserves it smile.gif

I'll have to check out Web of Lies, thanks for the info.

Steve
post #614 of 1124 Old 11-23-2013, 02:16 PM

Liked: 29
I'm so glad Merlyn is alive. I've wanted to Olie vs Merlyn rematch for a long time now.

Funny that Merlyn's master was defeated by the chick with blonde hair, yet Merlyn defeated Ollie twice, and almost killed him in his third attempt. His master doesn't seem as good at fighting as he is.
post #615 of 1124 Old 11-23-2013, 03:06 PM
AVS Special Member

^^
It's more fun to watch battles between 2 equally matched enemies. Ollie against the usual riff-raff is no contest with predictable outcomes.

I'm glad he's back too smile.gif

Steve
post #616 of 1124 Old 11-23-2013, 04:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heinrich S View Post

Funny that Merlyn's master was defeated by the chick with blonde hair, yet Merlyn defeated Ollie twice, and almost killed him in his third attempt. His master doesn't seem as good at fighting as he is.

Of course. Eventually the student always becomes the master!

Plus Merlyn also gets to say "No, Moira lied to you. Thea, I am your father!"

biggrin.gif

post #617 of 1124 Old 11-23-2013, 06:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Oliver and Merlyn will most likely team up. Merlyn is actually a good guy who lost his way.

Or

Oliver will get to kill Merlyn again, for good this time.

That seems to be the direction this show is going -- having bad guys die more than once before they are dead for good. This is perhaps so they can reuse some actors over and over to keep the budget low.
post #618 of 1124 Old 11-24-2013, 04:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidt1 View Post

Oliver and Merlyn will most likely team up. Merlyn is actually a good guy who lost his way.

Or

Oliver will get to kill Merlyn again, for good this time.

That seems to be the direction this show is going -- having bad guys die more than once before they are dead for good. This is perhaps so they can reuse some actors over and over to keep the budget low.

NOOOOOOOOOO! Love Capt Jack !!!

"I shall not commit the fashionable stupidity of regarding everything I cannot explain as a fraud." - C.G.Jung

post #619 of 1124 Old 11-24-2013, 04:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

It looks like this 'Torchwood: Web of Lies" was an animated webisode series designed to run in conjunction with the mini-series "Miracle Day". We Torchwood fans all know how M.D. turned out, and from the couple of these webisodes I saw (some of 'em are on YouTube), the tie-in was equally crummy. I'm afraid M.D. may have been the magic bullet that finally killed off Cap'n Jack and Gwen. frown.gif
post #620 of 1124 Old 11-28-2013, 11:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett Adams View Post

Tags for the very tardy:
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
My interpretation/analysis of the 50th Anni DH episode is that "Torchwood" has been effectively RETCONed from the DH universe for the foreseeable future.

(In the original timeline, QE-I setup Torchwood to protect *against* the Doctor. ... IIRC.)

Moffat appears to have pressed the big red reset button to clear the path for #12. wink.gif
post #621 of 1124 Old 11-28-2013, 02:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidt1 View Post

This is perhaps so they can reuse some actors over and over to keep the budget low.

How is that supposed to work? It's not like the actors sign a deal for a flat fee to appear as many times as the show wants. They get paid their daily/weekly rate. Same whether its an new actor or an old one.
post #622 of 1124 Old 11-28-2013, 02:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVChallenged View Post

Tags for the very tardy:
My interpretation/analysis of the 50th Anni DH episode is that "Torchwood" has been effectively RETCONed from the DH universe for the foreseeable future.

(In the original timeline, QE-I setup Torchwood to protect *against* the Doctor. ... IIRC.)

Moffat appears to have pressed the big red reset button to clear the path for #12. wink.gif

Since you tagged for the very tardy, so will I: Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Moffat loves the retcon. He completely ignores continuity. He even ignored his own cliff hanger from the finale of Season 7. Just started the 50th Anniversary as if that episode never happened. I loved the 50th as a stand alone episode, but it is the most lazy kind of writing to set up a story in one show, and then say, 'na, had a better idea' and just pretend the very last thing you wrote wasn't viewed by millions of people. It's amazing to me how Doctor Who fans so carefully analyze the show and find ways twist the continuity in all kinds of exotic ways to justify the writing, when Moffat is clearly just winging it episode to episode, and ignoring his own rules.
post #623 of 1124 Old 11-28-2013, 10:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by vfxproducer View Post

Since you tagged for the very tardy, so will I: Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Moffat loves the retcon. He completely ignores continuity. He even ignored his own cliff hanger from the finale of Season 7. Just started the 50th Anniversary as if that episode never happened. I loved the 50th as a stand alone episode, but it is the most lazy kind of writing to set up a story in one show, and then say, 'na, had a better idea' and just pretend the very last thing you wrote wasn't viewed by millions of people. It's amazing to me how Doctor Who fans so carefully analyze the show and find ways twist the continuity in all kinds of exotic ways to justify the writing, when Moffat is clearly just winging it episode to episode, and ignoring his own rules.
Well rats ... apparently I was ~300 years off. The origin of "Torchwood (Institute)" was described in the episode "Tooth and Claw." Right plot points... wrong queen: Victoria not Elizabeth I.

.... Nevermind ... eek.gif
post #624 of 1124 Old 12-05-2013, 01:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 25
So, what did everyone think about last night's introduction of Barry Allen? Personally, I thought the episode mostly stunk, and I absolutely, 100% hated Barry's character and actor. Just wrong wrong wrong - if they were going with that kiddo, they should have gone the Wally West route. He's no Barry Allen. So looked forward to this and The Flash. Now I'll just have to go re-watch my John Wesley Shipp series DVD's.
post #625 of 1124 Old 12-05-2013, 01:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 74
I have no background with the comics the show is based on so I thought he was fine. A tad younger than I expected, too young for F, but no hate.
post #626 of 1124 Old 12-05-2013, 04:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1812 View Post

So, what did everyone think about last night's introduction of Barry Allen? Personally, I thought the episode mostly stunk, and I absolutely, 100% hated Barry's character and actor. Just wrong wrong wrong - if they were going with that kiddo, they should have gone the Wally West route. He's no Barry Allen. So looked forward to this and The Flash. Now I'll just have to go re-watch my John Wesley Shipp series DVD's.
I agree. Horrible. Terrible acting from Barry.

Kaboom.
post #627 of 1124 Old 12-05-2013, 05:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I thought he was much too young as well (also reminded me of a Matthew Lillard Jr.) but apart from that I thought the episode was great. A lot of stuff happening, decent cliffhanger and absolutely no Laurel at all.

If you didn't know Barry Allen was/is supposed to be The Flash a lot of the ironic one-liners and references would be completely lost on the audience. I did really like the earthquake machine joke at the beginning from Quentin. Nicely inappropriate.

Can't say for sure if I would watch a Flash spinoff. The actor does nerd well, but unless he gains some physical prowess and confidence during his transformation he is not going to be very convincing in super spandex. But you never know, Tobey Maguire did okay as Spidey.

post #628 of 1124 Old 12-05-2013, 06:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 118
I'm disappointed in many of you. I haven't logged in in about 3 weeks... and Malcolm Merlyn returns... and ZERO Malcolm in the Middle jokes in this thread!

For shame.

smile.gif

Yeah baby!  It's Halloween!
post #629 of 1124 Old 12-05-2013, 06:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMe2 View Post

I'm disappointed in many of you. I haven't logged in in about 3 weeks... and Malcolm Merlyn returns... and ZERO Malcolm in the Middle jokes in this thread!

For shame.

Probably because everyone refers to him as Merlyn (or "Merlin" for those not paying attention tongue.gif ) and forget he has a first name to be witty with.

I can't even remember if Diggle has a first name at this point.

post #630 of 1124 Old 12-05-2013, 06:43 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
I enjoyed the episode and continue to be amazed at how much they manage to squeeze into a single episode. I can't think of any other show that has so many interesting subplots running simultaneously.

When they first announced Arrow, I never imagined it could be this good. At this point, I am perfectly happy to give the production team the benefit of the doubt and assume they know what they are going to do with the Flash and that they have a good reason to select this actor to play him.

FYI - Diggle's first name is John.
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page