Forum Jump: 
 42Likes

post #631 of 1330 Old 12-05-2013, 07:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Yeah... they, so far, are doing most of the right things with this show... you can nitpick if you want, but by and large this show is getting just about everything right in what it is doing.

Yeah baby!  It's Halloween!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 1330 Old 12-05-2013, 09:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 99
I'm ok with the last episode, we'll see how the mid season finale goes next week. Oh my Felicity is a doll. yowza.
post #633 of 1330 Old 12-05-2013, 10:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 485 Post(s)
Liked: 436
In a fictional world where the technology exists to create doomsday earthquake machines, why are people still travelling by train?
post #634 of 1330 Old 12-05-2013, 11:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post

In a fictional world where the technology exists to create doomsday earthquake machines, why are people still travelling by train?

We have supersonic jet fighters now but people still travel by regular old jet planes and turboprops. The highest technology goes to those who can afford it. Just because Merlyn and his billionaire chums can make a seismic weapon and Wayne Industries can make a water vaporizing weapon doesn't mean anything will trickle down to the populace.

And even when it does, if technology doesn't turn a profit it will go the way of Concorde.

Unless it's a weapon. There's little ceiling on how much money can be spent developing weapons. Which is another reason why a quake bomb can exist but better trains cannot.

post #635 of 1330 Old 12-06-2013, 12:35 AM
AVS Special Member

That may be true, but if you're going to create a fictional world which has technology that goes beyond the capabilities of the real world, you'd expect the lower classes to be using something more modern, too. Even taking a bus would have been a more fitting mode of transportation, as we already know that the city has buses.
post #636 of 1330 Old 12-06-2013, 07:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That may be true, but if you're going to create a fictional world which has technology that goes beyond the capabilities of the real world, you'd expect the lower classes to be using something more modern, too. Even taking a bus would have been a more fitting mode of transportation, as we already know that the city has buses.

Wait... so you're saying people in New York who take the subway instead of a bus are not being "modern"?

And since computers and cellphones exist, then everyone... even homeless people should have them... because it wouldn't be realistic if they don't?

I think VisionOn's point is spot on... in the real world there's lots of technology that exists but isn't available to the masses. I know I can't hop a flight to the space station anytime I want... but a few people can...

post #637 of 1330 Old 12-06-2013, 07:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Not sold on the Barry Allen actor either, but good episode. Maybe there's time to get a different actor.

YOU ARE READING AVS FORUM

post #638 of 1330 Old 12-06-2013, 10:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 95
I was getting chills as Barry was climbing all over the shelves full of chemicals, while lighting was flashing out side. Such anticipation.

Did he basically describe encountering another person with 'Flash' powers as a child? He mentioned seeing a blur fighting his dad, and suddenly finding himself 20 blocks away from home. I wonder if we'll ever find out who that was.
post #639 of 1330 Old 12-06-2013, 12:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 448 Post(s)
Liked: 722
Quote:
Originally Posted by vfxproducer View Post

I was getting chills as Barry was climbing all over the shelves full of chemicals, while lighting was flashing out side. Such anticipation.

Did he basically describe encountering another person with 'Flash' powers as a child? He mentioned seeing a blur fighting his dad, and suddenly finding himself 20 blocks away from home. I wonder if we'll ever find out who that was.

I thought that was odd as well. Does it mean that there was a Flash prior to Barry Allen? Are they going to re-con his origin story?

Also disagree with the choice of actor. Ferpetesake, the guy was just playing a high schooler on 'Glee'. rolleyes.gif
post #640 of 1330 Old 12-06-2013, 01:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by vfxproducer View Post

Sounded like a setup for Professor Zoom to me (Flash's speedster, time-traveling villain from the future).

In any event I agree, the actor playing Barry seems way too young, but I suppose that's what we're going to have to live with when we get shows on The CW. He's so young they might as well have called the show Kid Flash or Impulse.

XBOX Live: Wagmman
PSN: Wagg
BFBC2: Wagman
Steam: Wag

My Second Life character looks and acts exactly like me except he can fly.
post #641 of 1330 Old 12-06-2013, 01:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

I thought that was odd as well. Does it mean that there was a Flash prior to Barry Allen? Are they going to re-con his origin story?

I'm guessing that they'll use the particle accelerator to give him super-speed. (I assume the scene with the chemicals was gust an homage to the Silver Age origin.)
As for a previous Flash, there was the Golden-Age Jay Garrick. But it would seem more likely that it could be the time-travelling Reverse-Flash that might be the culprit.

post #642 of 1330 Old 12-06-2013, 02:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:

Also disagree with the choice of actor. Ferpetesake, the guy was just playing a high schooler on 'Glee'. rolleyes.gif
Yeah, there was a Golden Age Flash from the 40s that ran around in a helmut with Mercury wings on it. Since he was the previous generation to the 60s Flash...they just need to bring him forward into the 80s and make him "bad" or crazy...and of course not a well known hero. Also, I think his source of flashiness was magic left over from the Greek gods...maybe boots or the helmet...whatever...they'll probably not use the character...just write something else. Barry, was definitely describing a Flash-like villain.

As far as the actor...I was put off too. Expecting someone of Ollie's stature. Maybe, they'll roid him up during development. All that exercise should get the guy ripped in no time.

I don't lurk as much as I used to and I NEVER listen. Comes from being old and cynical.

post #643 of 1330 Old 12-06-2013, 04:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinema13 View Post

I'm guessing that they'll use the particle accelerator to give him super-speed.

They've been mentioning the particle accelerator in newscasts for several episodes, so it would seem the most likely choice. I wonder how far the next episode will go, though, now that they've decided to do a normal pilot instead of the original idea of having the Arrow episode be a backdoor pilot.

The other question this episode raised for me was that since the island flashbacks are following the same flow of time as the current story, how are they going to handle the show if it survives beyond five seasons? He only spent five years on the island, so they'd have to stop using flashbacks at that point, if they keep this up.
post #644 of 1330 Old 12-06-2013, 04:48 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMe2 View Post

Quote:

Wait... so you're saying people in New York who take the subway instead of a bus are not being "modern"?

It could also have been another ironic moment for the character, in that Barry Allen doesn't like flying and would much rather travel by an old-fashioned and less speedy flashy form of transport.

Cue jokes about Barry being the most unlikely person to be given the ability to travel faster than a spending bullet.

post #645 of 1330 Old 12-06-2013, 04:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

The other question this episode raised for me was that since the island flashbacks are following the same flow of time as the current story, how are they going to handle the show if it survives beyond five seasons? He only spent five years on the island, so they'd have to stop using flashbacks at that point, if they keep this up.

I think five years on the CW is a good run and the length the creators and producers are hoping for. If it makes it to year five then the bigger problem will be contract negotiations and just keeping it on the air after that. Not including flashbacks will be the least of their dilemmas.

post #646 of 1330 Old 12-06-2013, 07:00 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Looks like "Kid Flash" ? biggrin.gif

post #647 of 1330 Old 12-06-2013, 09:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post

I'm just glad this show didn't appear two or three years ago when Dawn Ostroff was in charge, because I imagine the romance would be much, much higher and the pointy-things-in-the-chest ratio would be much lower. At least now the network has realized that trying to appeal solely to one demo on network is a stupid idea.

It was a complete no brainer, but they insisted on it, ratings be damned. Even when their most watched shows weren't in the demo, they still persisted. I've never understood how she stuck around or even why they allowed it go as far as it did. It was total nonsense from the start, they had horrible ratings and they aimed at probably the most fickle audience imaginable.
post #648 of 1330 Old 12-07-2013, 08:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Re: the blur Barry mentioned. Reverse Flash? That's who killed his mom in the Flashpoint story wasn't it? He traveled back in time or something like that...

I wasn't too bothered by the age or the youthful charisma of the actor as Barry Allen. Like a previous poster said, these writers and producers have done so well with this show in my book, I'm willing to see where they take him.
post #649 of 1330 Old 12-07-2013, 09:54 AM
AVS Special Member

I liked Barry better than I thought I would. I still wish they had cast older for Barry... but for the moment the actor is doing well enough for me.

As for ret-conning his origin... they'll be doing that anyway, probably... but it seems like a Professor Zoom reference from current comic book continuity. I thought that was a nice touch, and hope the Flash TV show launches and survives long enough for them to reach that point.

post #650 of 1330 Old 12-07-2013, 11:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMe2 View Post

I liked Barry better than I thought I would. I still wish they had cast older for Barry...

They are using the name Barry Allen, but the persona is more Wally West.
mike1812 likes this.

post #651 of 1330 Old 12-07-2013, 09:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Barry Allen looks like Matthew Lillard's much younger brother. And boy, Oliver knows how to throw a swinging party!
post #652 of 1330 Old 12-12-2013, 10:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Now THAT'S how you do a mid-season finale

post #653 of 1330 Old 12-12-2013, 12:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Yeah, wow. Lots of stuff to absorb. We see Barry Allen get "flashed" (I'm assuming the 'Flash' pilot will give a brief recap and basically pick up from this point), Slade survives and turns into a big ol' meanie out for revenge on Ollie, Shado is most sincerely dead back on the Isle o' Doom™, Roy is getting super-soldiered, have I left anything out? eek.gif
post #654 of 1330 Old 12-12-2013, 12:47 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:

Yeah, wow. Lots of stuff to absorb. We see Barry Allen get "flashed" (I'm assuming the 'Flash' pilot will give a brief recap and basically pick up from this point), Slade survives and turns into a big ol' meanie out for revenge on Ollie, Shado is most sincerely dead back on the Isle o' Doom™, Roy is getting super-soldiered, have I left anything out? eek.gif
A mention of Solomon Grundy and Oliver gets a mask!
post #655 of 1330 Old 12-12-2013, 01:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdchrgrboy View Post

A mention of Solomon Grundy

Who dat? redface.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by skchrgrboy 
...and Oliver gets a mask!

And not just any mask - a self-contouring, micro-polymer identity concealing device! [sic]. Gotta' work at least as well as Clark Kent's glasses. wink.gif

Now, if Barry could just fab him up a removable goatee...
post #656 of 1330 Old 12-12-2013, 04:01 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:

Who dat? redface.gif
And not just any mask - a self-contouring, micro-polymer identity concealing device! [sic]. Gotta' work at least as well as Clark Kent's glasses. wink.gif

Now, if Barry could just fab him up a removable goatee...
Solomon Grundy is a fictional character, a zombie supervillain in the DC Comics Universe and as an antihero in the DC Animated Universe. Named after the 19th century nursery rhyme.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solomon_Grundy_(comics)
post #657 of 1330 Old 12-12-2013, 05:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdchrgrboy View Post

A mention of Solomon Grundy and Oliver gets a mask!

it wasen't a just a mention of Grundy, it was thier own version of grundy's origin. Cyrus Gold getting "super juced" then having the "super juce" machine explode in his face; he'll be back but hell probably be more like a mentally impaired version of Bane from dark knight rises with a half burned face instead of a mask

pcm=potato
bitstream=patato
post #658 of 1330 Old 12-12-2013, 06:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinema13 View Post

Now THAT'S how you do a mid-season finale

This show has been consistently good and interesting.

Jerry. Just remember. Its not a lie . . . if you believe it. GC
post #659 of 1330 Old 12-12-2013, 11:01 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm glad that Slade isn't really dead and may become more a more prominent character in the present to make up for him leaving the storylines from the past. It's a pity that Shado died so soon, though.

I really don't know what to think about the spinoff. I can't see that kid being able to anchor a show even close to the way Steven Amell does.
post #660 of 1330 Old 12-13-2013, 07:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Slade has turned into Nick Fury.

Slade_Modern_Day.PNG

YOU ARE READING AVS FORUM

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page