post #721 of 1087 Old 02-06-2014, 11:46 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 552
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDD View Post

Maybe she can do some of these dance moves on the show!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QP02lfoCZ0c

Well, I guess that answers the question about whether she does her own stunts! eek.gif

Lots of awesome in this episode. More insane workouts (now co-ed!)! Great bow-fight action! Great fist-fight action! Katrina Law! River Song! Ollie acting like a dick! Laurel acting like a c**t! Ollie gets laid! Black Canary is back for good! Mo mo melo-drama!smile.gif

But no Isle o' Doom™; replaced by Lance fam flashback o' doom. frown.gif
daryl zero likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 1087 Old 02-06-2014, 12:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Okay comic readers...maybe someone can clarify for me. I thought Al Ghul's daughter was Talia. But this ARROW personification is called Nyssa. Did he have more than one daughter???
bpeacock22 likes this.

post #723 of 1087 Old 02-06-2014, 12:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 36
I didn't know the answer to that either, but looked it up. From Batman wiki:
Quote:
In Batman: Death and the Maidens (2004) by Greg Rucka, it is revealed that while traveling in Russia in the 18th century, Ra's fathers a child named Nyssa Raatko. Enamored of Ra's' romantic stories of her mother, Nyssa sets out to find her father and eventually locates him at his headquarters in North Africa. Impressed by her beauty, her warrior skills, and the fact that "she was able to locate him," he promotes her to a high position within his organization. Ra's is so impressed with her abilities that he even allows Nyssa to use his Lazarus Pits; Nyssa finds a means of making the Lazarus Pits reusable (previously, each could only be used once).

Nyssa eventually becomes disillusioned with Ra's ideals and methods and disassociates herself from her father sometime in the 18th century. Ra's reluctantly approves this with the idea that she would return to him and that she and/or her children would become his future heirs. To his disappointment, Nyssa refuses to give herself or her family to Ra's; he retaliates by disowning her. During World War II, Nyssa and her family are sent to a concentration camp, where she is rendered infertile by gruesome Mengele-esque experiments, as the rest of her family is exterminated. Ra's, who is temporarily allied to the Nazis, abandons her and her family. Nyssa begins plotting her revenge, which comes to fruition years later.

In Robin: One Year Later, it is revealed that Cassandra Cain, the former Batgirl, has assassinated Nyssa and then taken over the League of Assassins.
post #724 of 1087 Old 02-06-2014, 01:23 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Color me confused (remember, I'm new to the show). Let me get the straight - the big secret is that the mother had an affair which produced Thea - which is the sister Oliver already had? And he's pissed about this?

What am I missing?
post #725 of 1087 Old 02-06-2014, 01:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flambe View Post

Color me confused (remember, I'm new to the show). Let me get the straight - the big secret is that the mother had an affair which produced Thea - which is the sister Oliver already had? And he's pissed about this?

What am I missing?

Because Thea's father is actually the evil supervillain Malcom Merlin, one of Olliver's arch-enemies. (He has a lot of them.) And up until this episode, Ollie thought his dad was Thea's dad. His mom never told him, or Thea, which isn't really that surprising under the circumstances.
Flambe likes this.
post #726 of 1087 Old 02-06-2014, 02:13 PM

Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

Because Thea's father is actually the evil supervillain Malcom Merlin, one of Olliver's arch-enemies. (He has a lot of them.) And up until this episode, Ollie thought his dad was Thea's dad. His mom never told him, or Thea, which isn't really that surprising under the circumstances.

Ah, gotcha. Thanks, couldn't quite get that clear from the (otherwise excellent) episode itself.
post #727 of 1087 Old 02-06-2014, 02:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 115
Quote:

Well, I guess that answers the question about whether she does her own stunts! eek.gif

Lots of awesome in this episode. More insane workouts (now co-ed!)! Great bow-fight action! Great fist-fight action! Katrina Law! River Song! Ollie acting like a dick! Laurel acting like a c**t! Ollie gets laid! Black Canary is back for good! Mo mo melo-drama!smile.gif

But no Isle o' Doom™; replaced by Lance fam flashback o' doom. frown.gif

Nice post and I agree. The one thing this show has wrong is its assumption that we give much of a rip about Laurel. That never got established. The fact that the main characters do, isn't really good enough to excuse all that seems to be happening.

Jerry. Just remember. Its not a lie . . . if you believe it. GC
post #728 of 1087 Old 02-06-2014, 04:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 346
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDD View Post

Maybe she can do some of these dance moves on the show!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QP02lfoCZ0c

Caity does some, but most of the salmon ladder was the work of Atlin Mitchell, a stuntwoman who has a long history of TV and movies. I still want to see Black Canary working out though. I mean it's only fair and essential to the plot to show she is as well-trained as Arrow. wink.gif

Katrina Law apparently does a lot of her own fights and stunt work. Must be all the training from Spartacus.

In other news that some may have missed, Candice Patton has joined The Flash as Iris West. If I'm understanding things correctly Barry comes back for another episode this season of Arrow too.

post #729 of 1087 Old 02-06-2014, 04:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 245
Quote:

just finished watching

you were so right....great episode! Altho I did think "River" didn't get to do much but at least the actress has work past Who wink.gif
yeah, Ollie wasn't too sympathetic to dear old mom, was he?

Laurel - maybe c**t is a bit harsh wink.gif but b*tch sure fits.

I watched her sitting in hospital bed - the pear-head, the plastic smile that stretches her cheeks, her general anorexic look, and she not only looks bad as her role, she just plain looks bad! tongue.gif

Laurel is absolutely the least interesting of all the characters this yr. Felicity is turning out to be one of the better characters. You could see her anguish. bring on the melodrama! biggrin.gif

I do hope Sara partners up so Ollie has 2 "sidekicks" but something tells me Sara might be able to kick his fanny. Nyssa nearly did wink.gif

unlike Revolution which seems stuck in a deja vu loop, this show just keeps getting better and moving forward.

can't wait for the Slade - Ollie confrontation. hope that happens this season.

Steve
post #730 of 1087 Old 02-06-2014, 05:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpeacock22 View Post

I didn't know the answer to that either, but looked it up. From Batman wiki:

Thanks, but then...what happened to Talia? Followed your lead and found this (Short form, they are half-sisters. And what the Nazis did to Nyssa may also explain her sexual preference...although I doubt ARROW will ever enter this territory. Wiki goes on to mention that Nyssa is eventually killed by some version of Batgirl.)

In Batman: Death and the Maidens (2003) written by Greg Rucka, it is revealed that Ra's al Ghul met a woman by whom he had a daughter named Nyssa during his travels in Russia in the 19th century. Ra's abandons Nyssa at a crucial time: she is tortured, her entire family is killed in a concentration camp during the Holocaust, and she is rendered sterile when Nazi doctors pour acid into her uterus. Seeking vengeance, Nyssa plans to use her considerable wealth and resources to kill Ra's by befriending, kidnapping, and brainwashing Talia, turning her into a weapon to kill their father. To this end, she captures Talia and kills and resurrects her in rapid succession in a Lazarus Pit, leaving Talia virtually broken from the trauma of dying again and again in so short a time as Nyssa asks Talia why her father is 'letting' this happen to her. Rendered apathetic by her time in the camp, unable to feel anything, Nyssa also plans to assassinate Superman with Kryptonite bullets she stole from the Batcave, hoping that, by uniting the world in one moment of tragedy, she would manage to rouse herself once more.

While Batman is successful in preventing the assassination of Superman, he is unable to stop Nyssa from killing Ra's. This, in turn, is actually part of a greater plan concocted by Ra's, who wants to ensure that his daughters would accept their destinies as his heirs and take up his genocidal campaign. Realizing and accepting this, Nyssa and Talia become the heads of The Demon, with Talia disavowing her love for Bruce Wayne as another result of her torture at Nyssa's hands (both sisters then consider Batman to be their enemy). Talia from then on became more often Batman's enemy than an ally

Between Nyssa, The League, and Deathstroke (all Bat-characaters), perhaps ARROW is the Batman tv show that we never had.

post #731 of 1087 Old 02-06-2014, 10:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by daryl zero View Post

The one thing this show has wrong is its assumption that we give much of a rip about Laurel. That never got established.

I concur. She can't blame her sister for all her problems, either. Sorry, Laurel, but you're the one who decided to become a pill pusher and get yourself thrown out of the workplace. I hope Sara stays around this time, but I have a bad feeling she won't. The cast is indeed getting a bit bloated, and I have a feeling someone's going to get the axe soon. As much as I'd like to be done with Laurel, I have a feeling it won't be her.
post #732 of 1087 Old 02-07-2014, 02:23 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Some additional info from this week's episode.

http://www.tvguide.com/News/Arrow-Spoilers-LGBT-Ras-al-Ghul-Canary-1077335.aspx

Contains minor spoilers for upcoming episodes about Suicide Squad and Birds of Prey. I'm happy to see that Diggle gets an episode focus coming up with his own military flashbacks. Of course that could mean the show is giving him a final big episode just before they kill him off, so ...

Apparently a deleted scene from this week's episode involved Roy fighting Nyssa at the hospital as he did guard duty over Laurel. It was cut for time but should appear on the DVD release. At least the show didn't forget about Roy being an asset, it just never had the time to use him.

"The deleted scene featured Oliver calling on his protégé to protect Laurel at the hospital, where he ends up coming face-to-face with Nyssa when she comes to kidnap Dinah. "Nyssa shoots him with a dart with snake venom and she says, 'A normal person would be dead by now. You're stronger than you look,'" Kreisberg says. "And he says, 'I get that a lot.' They have a fight, but the venom starts to affect him, and she takes him out.""

post #733 of 1087 Old 02-07-2014, 07:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
The flashback scenes earlier in the episode with Laurel really reveal how bone thin Laurel (the actress) has gotten. The clothes she was wearing were form-fitted and with with wider shots--holy cow, this girl must be on the verge, if not there already, of anorexia.

I don't say that in a mean-spirited way. I really hope this actress isn't having health issues.
post #734 of 1087 Old 02-07-2014, 10:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Some here have questions whether she is method acting... in the likes of what Christian Bale has done for his various roles. I dunno though....

Wasn't the biggest fan of this week's episode. Got excited when someone said Amell's FB indicated it would be huge. But really it wasn't.

I did notice no Roy. Ready for him to lose the hoodie and get a real costume. I also wonder, since they are doing bad guy squads, if at some point they'll have him join up into the good guy squad, namely Teen Titans.
post #735 of 1087 Old 02-07-2014, 02:59 PM
AVS Special Member

I doubt Diggle is going to get the axe. My guess is that Sara will, because a) Oliver's the hero, so he's not allowed to be happy, and b) they just had their long awaited reunion sex after finally thinking she's back for good, which makes this a prime opportunity for her to die, thus making Oliver miserable again (and providing more reason for Laurel pop pills, after having a second "final conversation" with her sister in which she was vindictive). I'd rather see Sara become a main character, but that would remove the focus from Oliver, since they are equally matched in skills. I just can't see it happening. frown.gif
post #736 of 1087 Old 02-07-2014, 03:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Sara's the Black Canary! She can't be killed off! She can be run off, however, to fight crime elsewhere now that she's been released from the dastardly League of Assassins. All it will take is one presumed betrayal from Ollie or her daddy to accomplish that, because that's how this show rolls.
post #737 of 1087 Old 02-07-2014, 03:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Oops, I forgot about that rule. I guess she'll just run off again to let Oliver stay in the spotlight.
post #738 of 1087 Old 02-07-2014, 04:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 98
I thought they already had long-awaited reunion sex when she first turned up this season... this time their absence from each other wasn't as long and he knew she was still alive. Earlier this season he was completely surprised.

The way they have reinvented some characters makes it hard to figure out where they are going.

I thought Laurel was going to evolve into Black Canary at some point... but given her physical appearance now, I don't see how she could pull all that off plausibly. It might have made sense for Sarah to be killed off and inspire Laurel to take her place... but I don't see how they can go that way given how the actress playing Laurel looks right now.

I have a feeling they might keep going with Sara Canary and bump off Laurel at some point.

Yeah baby!  It's Halloween!
post #739 of 1087 Old 02-07-2014, 05:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMe2 View Post

I have a feeling they might keep going with Sara Canary and bump off Laurel at some point.

Got my vote!
Keenan and swarm87 like this.
post #740 of 1087 Old 02-07-2014, 06:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMe2 View Post

That would be the preferred choice by most of us here, but who can tell what the long term plan is at this point? Maybe Laurel will become a villain? Any skeletal DC women villains?

Honestly Katie Cassidy looks so thin now someone on the show or network has to intervene. It's become so obvious now that it's being mentioned all over the internet. I remember idiotic NBC execs saying that Jennifer Aniston needed to lose weight on Friends but I don't think even those idiots would have wanted to push her to this level just for a TV show.

post #741 of 1087 Old 02-07-2014, 06:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpeacock22 View Post

Wasn't the biggest fan of this week's episode. Got excited when someone said Amell's FB indicated it would be huge. But really it wasn't.

He wasn't wrong, it just wasn't the type of "big" story moments the action and comic fans expect. Dramatically/soapy wise it had lots of important moments. Ollie disowns his mom. Sara is officially alive and even Laurel knows, Moira announces her run for office, flashback angst and Nyssa is revealed as Sara's ex.

I was pleasantly surprised that there were some genuinely kick ass scenes amidst the relationship stuff. The bow fight and Nyssa's entrance were nicely done.

post #742 of 1087 Old 02-07-2014, 07:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post

I was pleasantly surprised that there were some genuinely kick ass scenes amidst the relationship stuff. The bow fight and Nyssa's entrance were nicely done.

Agreed. Several most excellent fight sequences in this episode. And can we get a shout-out for our first look at Black Canary's low-cut leather outfit? Yeawsa! Now that's what a comic book super-heroine is supposed to look like! tongue.gif
post #743 of 1087 Old 02-07-2014, 10:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Ok, I know I'm in the minority here but I really like Laurel Dinah this season. Despite all that's been happening, she's unapologetic. From her zero-tolerance of the intervention ("F-off Dad!") to her slugging down a bottle of wine (ironically, her dad David got busted for a DUI recently!) while ripping Sara a (well-deserved) new one,..she's a much more interesting and entertaining character now than she had been previously.

post #744 of 1087 Old 02-08-2014, 09:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 245
Quote:

That would be the preferred choice by most of us here, but who can tell what the long term plan is at this point? Maybe Laurel will become a villain? Any skeletal DC women villains?

Honestly Katie Cassidy looks so thin now someone on the show or network has to intervene. It's become so obvious now that it's being mentioned all over the internet. I remember idiotic NBC execs saying that Jennifer Aniston needed to lose weight on Friends but I don't think even those idiots would have wanted to push her to this level just for a TV show.

I just read yesterday in fact where she's likely going to get a prime role in another show...the author kept using the word "beautiful" all through his article about Katie rolleyes.gif

and yes I found this on some entertainment news site by doing a search for Katie Cassidy and anorexia.

your idea of her becoming a villain - revenge on Ollie & Sara - could be entertaining. but she'd have to bulk up wink.gif

Steve
post #745 of 1087 Old 02-08-2014, 09:46 AM
AVS Addicted Member

So it that the general consensus out there on the interwebs? That the difference in Katie Cassidy's looks from the first season to now is based on drastic weight loss? I don't really see it in her body - which looked perfect from my vantage point during that first season and pretty much looks the same now. But she's really never worn any revealing outfits on this show so it's hard to tell. I see it in her face which seems to have become much more angular and "sharp", especially her jawline.

Still don't understand why someone who looked so ridiculously good would diet themselves into a position where they look worse. I still don't buy plastic surgery; she had nothing facially that needed improvement and she's only 26 years old!
post #746 of 1087 Old 02-08-2014, 10:15 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
The shape of her face looks like latter day Karen Carpenter, like you said esp in the jawline.
post #747 of 1087 Old 02-08-2014, 03:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 115
And remember, the television camera adds 100 lbs to you. eek.gif
Actually, I think its a bit premature and insensitive to make remarks about an actor's or actress' perceived weight. There are many possible causes including make up.

Jerry. Just remember. Its not a lie . . . if you believe it. GC
post #748 of 1087 Old 02-10-2014, 03:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 33
This show just got irritating all around... -.-

Really great to see Katrina!
Quote:

Katrina Law apparently does a lot of her own fights and stunt work. Must be all the training from Spartacus.

I don't doubt it.

My Summer Motto: "When Nature turns off the damn heat I'll turn off my A/C"
post #749 of 1087 Old 02-15-2014, 02:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member

If you want an Arrow fix Stephen Amell has a Youtube channel where he is beginning to post some content like this choreography sequence from an upcoming episode that is apparently the "biggest fight sequence on TV".

Possibly the Raid V.2.0 sequence he mentions in his Dallas Sci-fi Q&A here:

post #750 of 1087 Old 02-20-2014, 09:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

To celebrate a million Facebook friends Amell made a behind the scenes video featuring himself, David Ramsey and Caty Lotz.

Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page