"Arrow" on The CW HD - Page 32 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 385Likes

post #931 of 2375 Old 04-27-2014, 11:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Worthless? I reiterate my point. The flashback was foreshadow. We've heard Moira say she'd do anything for her kids. We got a story that showed it too. And that obviously set up to taking the sword. I think the kid was just a maguffin.
mike1812 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #932 of 2375 Old 04-27-2014, 02:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1693 Post(s)
Liked: 1451
How would Oliver even know Slade was telling the truth? For all Oliver would know, Slade could just be saying some random kid is his before killing it, and that wouldn't have the emotional impact Slade wants. He wants to make Oliver suffer, and he can't effectively do that by killing people Oliver doesn't even know. I'm with bpeacock22: the only point of the flashback was to show what Moira was willing to do for her children.
post #933 of 2375 Old 04-27-2014, 02:33 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3939 Post(s)
Liked: 4090
There has to be more to Ollies' illegitimate kid storyline. They didn't need to go that far to show Moria's dedication to her children. It may not play out this season though, as it would appear Slade has more than enough potential targets left.

post #934 of 2375 Old 04-27-2014, 04:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 740 Post(s)
Liked: 552
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

There has to be more to Ollies' illegitimate kid storyline. They didn't need to go that far to show Moria's dedication to her children. It may not play out this season though, as it would appear Slade has more than enough potential targets left.

Exactly. It was too specific of a flashback if it were only meant to show Moira's resolve.

IF the flashback was only meant for that... they didn't need a whole "keep the baby and run away" story... it could have been Ollie accidentally had a hit & run that was covered up... or he owed money to someone and she paid them off without Ollie knowing... something that the flash back wrapped up entirely.

A flash back that introduces new characters and new story HAS to be for more than that.

I don't know that it has anything to do with Slade, though... entirely possible it is just a setup for something next season to pop up after Slade has been dealt with.

We don't know how far that flashback was... but it was before the island... so 5 years on the island + 2 years back... at a minimum that kid is 7 years old by now... possibly older.
post #935 of 2375 Old 04-27-2014, 09:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I could accept the use of Oliver's mystery child in the next season, but it wouldn't make any sense to use that angle in Slade's revenge scheme.
post #936 of 2375 Old 04-28-2014, 04:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Felicity is the only one NOT annoying now... I don't know what to make of this show now...

My Summer Motto: "When Nature turns off the damn heat I'll turn off my A/C"
post #937 of 2375 Old 04-28-2014, 03:46 PM

Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipfreak View Post

Felicity is the only one NOT annoying now... I don't know what to make of this show now...

Needs less soap.
post #938 of 2375 Old 04-30-2014, 03:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 84
That goes for ANY show that's soapy generally imo. lol

My Summer Motto: "When Nature turns off the damn heat I'll turn off my A/C"
post #939 of 2375 Old 05-01-2014, 06:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Well interesting. I don't think they left one story thread without a cliff-hanger. Diggle in the hands of Isabel. Ollie and Laurel trapped. Mirakuru army bearing down on the city. Felicity getting a call from STAR labs. Roy still out and running out of venom serum. Thea running away. Sara still AWOL. Whew! Two episodes to go.

Obviously, STAR has the cure. I mean, there's no way for Arrow to beat the army and Slade without it. As to where Sara ran off to, probably for help, but I definitely don't think it was to shack up with her companion from the Legion as someone else suggested here, I think. Judging by previews, could she be the one who went to get Merlin?

Anyway, if anyone is following DC news on the movie front, the next Superman movie now not only has Batman as a front-runner, and Wonder Woman in some way, but now they've added Cyborg as a cameo. I presume they'll introduce the man. But that's four members of Justice League, which has now been confirmed to be the movie following Superman/Batman. And it appears they'll be adding Aquaman, Green Lantern (hopefully a good one), and Flash. I don't know how they are going to successfully intro characters like this in a team film, but I guess if they go the route of the New 52 storyline, it could work. (Briefly: Batman found an alien object and sought out the 'rumored' Superman to ask if it was his. GL comes on the scene, dispatched by his Corp to investigate the object too. They all fight. GL calls in his buddy Flash. WW sees the fisticuffs and wants to get involved. Then Aquaman finds a similar object in the ocean and joins. Turns out to be several of these things and before the heroes can all get used to each other, Darkseid launches his attack.) I just wish it wasn't the same director (Zac Snyder) for everything. Give the property to other creative minds too! This has the strong potential to be an unmitigated disaster. I'm holding my breath.
post #940 of 2375 Old 05-01-2014, 09:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked: 100
HEY-Would someone tell me what happened during the last two minutes of the show? The local station REALLY messed up last night. I was watching the show up to the point where Diggle had set the bombs and Ollie was being choked. At that point, the local station started running ads. And, it appears their server froze or their program listing computer dumped. All they had up was a still frame of one part of an ad. When they finally cleared it up, all that was left to see was the end of the show where they give the time the show will air next week. I was pi**ed! They didn't even show the "tease" for next week. Would someone fill in the gaps for me? Thank you in advance.
post #941 of 2375 Old 05-01-2014, 03:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Might I suggest you go to the CW website and watch it?

Otherwise, my post right above yours summarizes all the cliffhangers in the last couple minutes.
post #942 of 2375 Old 05-01-2014, 06:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Just as I predicted months ago, Merlin will team up with the arrow. His return is much needed because Oliver has turned into a weak whiny a little girl who can't do anything right.

No one on his team cared to ask him, "Hey Oliver, maybe it's not you Slade wants to kill next. If he did, wouldn't he have killed you right after he killed your mommy?"

When Laurel offered to come along and help, Oliver refused and said that his team began with three people and it should stay that way. They couldn't touch Slade even with Sarah on the team. What made him think they could do any better without more help?
post #943 of 2375 Old 05-01-2014, 10:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidt1 View Post

What made him think they could do any better without more help?

He assumed that after years of careful planning, Slade would be too dumb to have somebody watching the perimeter of his lair to ensure nobody tried to sabotage it.
post #944 of 2375 Old 05-02-2014, 11:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpeacock22 View Post

Might I suggest you go to the CW website and watch it?

Otherwise, my post right above yours summarizes all the cliffhangers in the last couple minutes.

DUH--My brain wasn't engaged. Of course, I can go to CW's site and watch it. What was I (not) thinking? Thanks!
post #945 of 2375 Old 05-02-2014, 07:00 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpeacock22 View Post

Might I suggest you go to the CW website and watch it?.

I dumped my cable about a year ago, so I have been watching on the CW website this season. Last night's show was the worse ever. It has always dropped a lot of frames so that action sequences are very jittered (and I never have this problem with Netflix or Amazon Prime, so the issue has to be with the CW's signal). But last night they had one commercial that's audio would hang. It would loop about five seconds of really loud music that wouldn't stop when the commercial ended but continued playing over the audio of the show. The only thing to do was the kill the browser session and start it over. The first time it happened at the first commercial break it wasn't a big deal. The next time it happened at the commercial before the last action sequence. To get back to that point, I had to listen to EVERY COMMERCIAL in the show for a second time. It was incredibly annoying.

I don't know if it is an issue that more people are now streaming from their website or what, but but the quality of their signal on all the CW shows I watch is significantly lower than it was at the beginning of the season.

Duane
post #946 of 2375 Old 05-03-2014, 08:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuaneAA View Post

I dumped my cable about a year ago, so I have been watching on the CW website this season. Last night's show was the worse ever. It has always dropped a lot of frames so that action sequences are very jittered (and I never have this problem with Netflix or Amazon Prime, so the issue has to be with the CW's signal). But last night they had one commercial that's audio would hang. It would loop about five seconds of really loud music that wouldn't stop when the commercial ended but continued playing over the audio of the show. The only thing to do was the kill the browser session and start it over. The first time it happened at the first commercial break it wasn't a big deal. The next time it happened at the commercial before the last action sequence. To get back to that point, I had to listen to EVERY COMMERCIAL in the show for a second time. It was incredibly annoying.

I don't know if it is an issue that more people are now streaming from their website or what, but but the quality of their signal on all the CW shows I watch is significantly lower than it was at the beginning of the season.

Duane

Try Hulu.  Much better quality.

Scott
post #947 of 2375 Old 05-03-2014, 02:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I used the CW app a couple times when my DirectTV craptastic DVR froze up the recording. The Airplay video quality is good but sound was just stereo.
post #948 of 2375 Old 05-03-2014, 04:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:

Just as I predicted months ago, Merlin will team up with the arrow. His return is much needed because Oliver has turned into a weak whiny a little girl who can't do anything right.

Agreed. Not sure why the writers aren't giving him at least some small victories here and there. If the superhero is absolutely no match for the villain, the conflict isn't as interesting. Why even have a "superhero" at all?
post #949 of 2375 Old 05-03-2014, 04:39 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 2376
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeKlim View Post

Quote:

Agreed. Not sure why the writers aren't giving him at least some small victories here and there. If the superhero is absolutely no match for the villain, the conflict isn't as interesting. Why even have a "superhero" at all?

Eh, he's human?

If a human could take out a enhanced human without effort then what would be the point of making supersoldiers to begin with? How many times as Arrow been defeated? Twice? In both cases he was outmatched by skills and prowess. Queen jumped around on an island for five years, Merlyn trained with the League for decades and Slade is not only special forces but an enhanced human. If he could defeat him easily how does that make the conflict intersting? Deathstroke would have been locked up months ago.

All Arrow ever has are small victories. The complaint that he keeps getting defeated after he has been a hero for about 18 months is stupid. If he's being taken out by street thugs in a decade then it might be relevant. It's certainly more likely Arrow will be injured now than Batman getting his back broken in The Dark Knight Rises by nothing more than a wrestler in a mask.

post #950 of 2375 Old 05-03-2014, 04:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post

Eh, he's human?

If a human could take out a enhanced human without effort then what would be the point of making supersoldiers to begin with? How many times as Arrow been defeated? Twice? In both cases he was outmatched by skills and prowess. Queen jumped around on an island for five years, Merlyn trained with the League for decades and Slade is not only special forces but an enhanced human. If he could defeat him easily how does that make the conflict intersting? Deathstroke would have been locked up months ago.

All Arrow ever has are small victories. The complaint that he keeps getting defeated after he has been a hero for about 18 months is stupid. If he's being taken out by street thugs in a decade then it might be relevant. It's certainly more likely Arrow will be injured now than Batman getting his back broken in The Dark Knight Rises by nothing more than a wrestler in a mask.

I disagree. Last year he had small victories when matched against other villains. This year he's getting his rear-end handed to him every episode at every turn. Nobody said "without effort" or "easily"--you are putting words in our mouth--and it would be just as uninteresting. If he's going to be completely ineffective, there's no point in donning the suit.
post #951 of 2375 Old 05-03-2014, 05:08 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 2376
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeKlim View Post

I disagree. Last year he had small victories when matched against other villains. This year he's getting his rear-end handed to him every episode at every turn. Nobody said "without effort" or "easily"--you are putting words in our mouth--and it would be just as uninteresting. If he's going to be completely ineffective, there's no point in donning the suit.

And when did he get defeated this year that was different to the amount of times he was beaten by Merlyn last year? Seems to me he's doing the exact same thing of taking out everyone that isn't a Big Bad every week. Villains of the week fall within 40 minutes. In the case of Bronze Tiger, about five minutes.

Last year he was defeated by Merlyn until the story structure allowed him to be victorious, this year Deathstroke is exactly the same. And I'll say it again if you think Arrow should be winning against someone with not only more skill and training, but super strength too then you should switch to cartoons because it would be ludicrous for this and any other show.

Deathstroke is a major adversary in the universe. He not only should be kicking Queen's ass at every conflict this season, but survive this season and come back to do the same until Queen has grown enough to finally surpass the guy who taught him almost everything he knows. Queen is still a kid compared to Slade.

post #952 of 2375 Old 05-03-2014, 07:19 PM
Advanced Member

And Slade always outsmarts him at every turn as well? I guess there's just no hope for poor Ollie. Might as well end the show now...I mean if the kid can't compete on any level whatsoever. Heck, I guess he should be glad he doesn't accidentally shoot himself with his own arrows. Who knows, were it not for the fact the season finale is coming soon, maybe he would. Instead of calling the show "Arrow", maybe they should just call it "doesn't stand a chance...ever".

Let's just say we agree to disagree. smile.gif
post #953 of 2375 Old 05-03-2014, 09:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 328 Post(s)
Liked: 297
What is the point of watching if Ollie always looses? I hope NEVER to see Slade again after this season, I think he dragged the whole season down. Ups and downs for the "hero" are fine, but all downs, not so much.
post #954 of 2375 Old 05-03-2014, 10:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I don't think Slade dragged the season down at all; if anything the problem was that they took too long to get to him and spent too much time in the early episodes with Brother Blood. Things really picked up once Slade was introduced into the present.. My main complaint about this season was that the flashbacks were edited poorly and cut back to the present too abruptly almost every time.
post #955 of 2375 Old 05-03-2014, 10:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Brother Blood is part of the Slade plot.
post #956 of 2375 Old 05-04-2014, 01:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Yes, and they spent too much time dwelling on that part.
post #957 of 2375 Old 05-04-2014, 04:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked: 423
ABC Sports used to say - the thrill of victory, the agony of defeat.
in this season, Ollie's had a lot of agony wink.gif

me? I'm enjoying it all smile.gif if the show has good writing, interesting characters, I don't care that the hero gets his butt handed to him a lot. that makes it all the more rewarding when he finally does have his victory smile.gif

those that want nothing but win-win-win can watch Revolution or reruns of Gunsmoke wink.gif

Steve
post #958 of 2375 Old 05-04-2014, 09:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 36
I don't have a problem if Oliver never wins. My problem is his character development seemed to stop after the first season. In the first season, we learned that he suffered terrible things on the island, and it changed him from a playboy to a man vowing to fix the mistakes of his farther and the wrongs of his city. He was resolute in keeping his secret identity to the point of killing the bad guys who could have outed him. He recruited Diggle and Felicity and showed some leadership.

Now he always seems lost and clueless. He doesn't have any plan on how to take down Slade, to take back his family's company, etc. The murder of his mother in front of him should have driven him to seek help, or train harder and become better. No. Instead he limped along like a zombie.
post #959 of 2375 Old 05-04-2014, 10:18 AM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3939 Post(s)
Liked: 4090
I think the problem is he's stopped doing insane workouts like those hanging salmons. He's gone soft. His old squeeze Black Canary's got better defined abs. Superheros need a chiseled physique if they're to instill fear in villains. Maybe Ollie needs to start juicing if he's going to stop Slade.
post #960 of 2375 Old 05-04-2014, 09:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

To be honest, I'm not looking for a character study when I watch a show on the CW, I want some fun, maybe some action that's it. All we've seen is this season is Oliver being stripped of everything, his company, his fortune, his home, his mother and his lair. There really isn't much further down he can go. He's moved to a run down building without all his high tech toys, is sister is gone and he appears to be broke. All pretty depressing. The city is even worse off then when he came on the scene, so another failure.

They have not given us any clues to Slade's weakness, he appears not to have any, so are we simply going to get a deus ex machina moment in the final episode of the season? That would render the whole season a joke. For me this has been a wholly unsatisfying decent into darkness.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page