Forum Jump: 
 38Likes

post #991 of 1284 Old 05-09-2014, 09:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 410 Post(s)
Liked: 410
I wonder if they're going to destroy the city for every season finale. Anything else might seem like a letdown for season 3+. tongue.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #992 of 1284 Old 05-10-2014, 04:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 40
They really should...

My Summer Motto: "When Nature turns off the damn heat I'll turn off my A/C"
post #993 of 1284 Old 05-10-2014, 06:46 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 26
You could always move to Gotham City.biggrin.gif
post #994 of 1284 Old 05-10-2014, 08:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 121
So I'm apparently late to the party here but after reading a recent article, I just learned about the appearance of Barry Allen in this series. Subsequently, I got a chance to see what is essentially the origin scene for The Flash, which is to become a new series starting in the Fall. I honestly never gave Arrow a chance as I thought going in it was just a comic knock off that toyed with the comic concepts. I would hear bits and pieces about the show as time went on but just never bothered to tune in to see what was going on. But because of The Flash, I expect to do a little catching up on the series during the summer so I can be reasonably up to speed (no pun intended) come next season.

Am I correct in my understanding that the Arrow series and representative DC television universe is different from that of the DC movie universe? It seems that the television series is based on some rather young characters, is this correct?
post #995 of 1284 Old 05-10-2014, 09:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

Yeah, they're pulling out all the stops, comic book wise. But I ask you: who the heck would want to live in Starling City? You suffer this bizarre, unnatural earthquake that levels part of the city and kills hundreds, and the very next year a swarm of super-soldiers is wrecking havoc all over the city like an army of juiced up Mongols. And then in any given week you have political assassinations, drug epidemics, carjackings, nightclub terrorist attacks, and enough murder and bomb blasts to rival a modern middle-eastern failed state.

Call my Realtor, stat. I'm so outa' there.

To be fair... we have no evidence that there is a safer city to live in this fictional universe. We know a big explosion happened in Central City too (see Barry Allen episodes)... Think real world... lots of people live in unsafe places, and don't all move when bad stuff happens. Sometimes you want to stay and make it better, other times you can't afford to move.

Yeah baby!  It's Halloween!
post #996 of 1284 Old 05-10-2014, 10:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Closet Geek View Post

Am I correct in my understanding that the Arrow series and representative DC television universe is different from that of the DC movie universe? It seems that the television series is based on some rather young characters, is this correct?

Unfortunately it does appear that the TV series and movies are separate. Stephen Amell, of course, welcomed the show being linked. I would too. I think he's got the chops for big screen. That remains to be seen with the guy playing the Flash. But really.... would it be any stranger of a choice than what they've already done with Afleck, Gadot, Eisenberg, etc?
post #997 of 1284 Old 05-12-2014, 11:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 23

As for the "color" of the names, they've explained that a few times in various panels and interviews.

Basically Ollie starts out as "The Vigilante", he's no hero.

He grows and becomes "The Arrow" but he's still not a full fledged "hero".  

As he continues to grow as a person, as a hero he'll graduate to be a the full fledged "Green Arrow".

As for Black Canary, I really haven't see that addressed but if their long term plan is to kill Sarah and go with Laural then Sarah being the first is just "The Canary" and as we saw in this episode that is the actual name the League of Assasains gave her so she goes with it.  If she is killed and Laural dons the tights then she might take up the mantle as The Black Canary as a vengence thing.  That is just my theory though, nothing backed up by anything.

Also keep in mind as others have mentioned, this show is more "grounded", at least for now, vs. the comics and thus just a start.  Smallville was much the same at first.

Scott
post #998 of 1284 Old 05-12-2014, 04:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Ah yes, who can forget how long we suffered with "The Blur". rolleyes.gif
post #999 of 1284 Old 05-12-2014, 06:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Didn't realize Caity Lotz is from Mad Men. Like her there too.

post #1000 of 1284 Old 05-13-2014, 04:23 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked: 701
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipfreak View Post

Didn't realize Caity Lotz is from Mad Men. Like her there too.

What? What part did she play there?
post #1001 of 1284 Old 05-13-2014, 02:47 PM
AVS Special Member

I honestly don't remember (hard to keep up with Don's pimpin... ), but the last episode she was the Pregnant Hippy "Niece" (Stephanie Horton).

post #1002 of 1284 Old 05-13-2014, 03:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked: 701
So it's only been this current season of MM? That explains it; would have noticed her in past seasons. I just started it, might be 2 episodes in by tomorrow.
post #1003 of 1284 Old 05-14-2014, 02:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 151
Looking forward to the finale tonight. This has been a consistently good show this year and the best comic tv show I can remember. Hope the finale lives up to the season.
bpeacock22 likes this.

Jerry. Just remember. Its not a lie . . . if you believe it. GC
post #1004 of 1284 Old 05-14-2014, 08:32 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 497
Wow, they packed a lot into that episode! All ninjas on deck.

What it lacked in the big spectacle of last year it made up for in the sheer amount of surprising little twists and reveals they were dropping. I could hear the squeals of a million fangirls when Ollie told Felicity he loved her, and I was groaning and anticipating the decline of the show next year. Then they used it to pull a genuinely clever move by using Slade's cameras against him. Which not only surprised me but left me relieved they pulled back on a potential Olicity disaster next year.

The parallel fight between Ollie and Slade and Arrow and Deathstroke was nicely edited and very stylish. I still think Slade went down too easily but I'm glad he survived. Deathstroke is too cool and important and needs to come back in some way.

Roy gets a mask, Merlyn gets an apprentice, Laurel gets a jacket, Isabel gets killed(!), Diggle has a kid, Ollie meets Amanda in Hong Kong ...

If I had one major quibble it was the "cure" turned into "instant knockout" serum. Given the amount of fighting and plot points in this episode I guess it was the only way. Waiting for it to take effect would have taken until morning to defeat all the bad guys.

The Flash trailer was pretty slick too. But that suit still looks far too big for Grant Gustin. Even in the clip it looked like a poor fit.
daryl zero and bpeacock22 like this.

post #1005 of 1284 Old 05-14-2014, 09:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Nice recap: VO. I really liked the two epic battles. I didn't know how they were going to pull off Oliver's choice on the boat but it worked perfectly and parallel to present day events. I really liked Oliver's discussion with Slade in the Argus prison. Hong Kong eh?

post #1006 of 1284 Old 05-14-2014, 09:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Good to see Katrina Law again.
Vipfreak likes this.
post #1007 of 1284 Old 05-14-2014, 10:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebkell View Post

Good to see Katrina Law again.

Nyssa: I will die before I let anything happen to your daughter.
Quentin: Well here’s hoping.

biggrin.gif

post #1008 of 1284 Old 05-14-2014, 10:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daryl zero View Post

BTW, with regards to tropes, when Thea shot the gun, what usually happens is the guy that MM thought he killed got up behind him and Thea shot him. That's the typical way these things happen and it is my prediction.

I like my crow served cold.

post #1009 of 1284 Old 05-15-2014, 12:13 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Quote:

BTW, with regards to tropes, when Thea shot the gun, what usually happens is the guy that MM thought he killed got up behind him and Thea shot him. That's the typical way these things happen and it is my prediction.

I like my crow served cold.

Well, you were on the right track. Merlyn wasn't going down that easily.

post #1010 of 1284 Old 05-15-2014, 06:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 23

I was actually a bit surprised that she actually shot him, bravo for the writers to not go down the usual path there of shooting someone behind him.  At the end all I could think of is which villian will Thea turn into.

Scott
post #1011 of 1284 Old 05-15-2014, 06:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 62
My only issues with the finale:

1. When did Roy get good at anything? He wasn't the best student.

2. This has bugged me for a while....why is it that everyone else, that got an injection, didn't have the rage issues that Roy had? They were perfect foot shoulders--even Isabel was under complete control--no jaw clinching psychopathic behavior.

3. I think I missed something....did they hit Isabel with the cure before killing her? Otherwise, wouldn't she just heal?

None of that made me enjoy the finale any less, it was just something I thought about when it was over.

So now I guess Laurel will become the Canary?

And I'm sorry, but Oliver should be all over Felicity...just sayin. I saw their little plan for what it was as soon as he "confessed" to her at the mansion--but I'd have sold it better...for a few hours lol

Thea...in the comics does Ollie's sister have any special abilities? I thought I remembered a discussion last season about her.

thread closed
post #1012 of 1284 Old 05-15-2014, 06:54 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediMastr View Post

2. This has bugged me for a while....why is it that everyone else, that got an injection, didn't have the rage issues that Roy had? They were perfect foot shoulders--even Isabel was under complete control--no jaw clinching psychopathic behavior.

Didn't Roy get the "test" version of mirakuru back when Blood was still kidnapping people? Everyone since then got the refined version.

post #1013 of 1284 Old 05-15-2014, 07:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post

Didn't Roy get the "test" version of mirakuru back when Blood was still kidnapping people? Everyone since then got the refined version.

And they used Roy's blood to make the army, They should have been just as nuts as him.
post #1014 of 1284 Old 05-15-2014, 07:05 AM
AVS Special Member

VisionOn, you expressed my thoughts on the finale very well! I thought the final showdown that jumped back and forth was some great visual story telling. My only nitpick is the sorry way they shot Ollie stabbing Slade in the eye with the arrow. Something about the angle made the motion of his driving in the arrow really corny.

Lots of good set-up, which you masterfully listed. I guess we are all fairly surprised that Sara didn't die. And I am in the camp of "thank goodness" they didn't actually go the Ollicity shipper route. I was actually quite disappointed in that for a while until the big reveal. Although, there is something obviously stirring there that Ollie doesn't want to touch. But I hope it stays that way. It is a strong brother-sister love connection that I see going there, not romantic.

Last thoughts on the Flash preview. I'm very skeptical if this unknown actor can pull it off. And just like I feel for the casting choice of Wonder Woman in the next DC movie, this actor for flash seems too scrawny. I'm definitely going to tune in and hope it works. I may have misinterpreted it, but there were several tweets from the CW last night about watching the last minute of the episode to see a glimpse of the Flash. I watched that last minute over and over and never saw anything. The trailer for the show was quite a few minutes before that, and as a commercial, so I'm not sure what they were talking about... Anyone else see anything?
post #1015 of 1284 Old 05-15-2014, 07:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wytchone View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post

And they used Roy's blood to make the army, They should have been just as nuts as him.

Yeah but they used the magic transfuser Slade stole from Star Labs. It must have been doing something besides pumping to drain a city block of electricity.

post #1016 of 1284 Old 05-15-2014, 11:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Liked: 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpeacock22 View Post

Last thoughts on the Flash preview. I'm very skeptical if this unknown actor can pull it off. And just like I feel for the casting choice of Wonder Woman in the next DC movie, this actor for flash seems too scrawny. I'm definitely going to tune in and hope it works. I may have misinterpreted it, but there were several tweets from the CW last night about watching the last minute of the episode to see a glimpse of the Flash. I watched that last minute over and over and never saw anything. The trailer for the show was quite a few minutes before that, and as a commercial, so I'm not sure what they were talking about... Anyone else see anything?

Keenan and VisionOn like this.
post #1017 of 1284 Old 05-15-2014, 12:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Zeus you beat me here. Was just coming to post this. I am 1000% more excited for Flash now based on this sneak peek. Although I see we are keeping with the pre-naming trope and Barry will be known as "the streak". Blur already taken in this world? :P
post #1018 of 1284 Old 05-15-2014, 01:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 125
They didn't use Roy's blood for the army... The Arrow gang save Roy from that... the final scene of that episode clearly showed Slade was the one giving the transfusions.

But besides that... Roy's anger issues got worse with time. He had weeks of controllable rage... and this army just got their injections... I suspect with time they would have gone just as crazy and hard to control, but Slade didn't really care... he was hoping Waller would nuke the city... he just wanted the chaos... if you notice, there wasn't a lot of control going on... just a bunch of super-powered people wreaking havoc... so they may already have been starting to turn crazy if you think about it.

Yeah baby!  It's Halloween!
post #1019 of 1284 Old 05-15-2014, 02:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:

Zeus you beat me here. Was just coming to post this. I am 1000% more excited for Flash now based on this sneak peek. Although I see we are keeping with the pre-naming trope and Barry will be known as "the streak". Blur already taken in this world? :P

Where did you get "the streak"? In the trailer, Ollie comments "saving people in a flash" and later you hear Barry say "a friend suggested a new name, I think it's gonna catch on." And the series itself is titled The Flash. If they refer to him as "the streak" I suspect it will only be in the first episode or maybe first few.
post #1020 of 1284 Old 05-15-2014, 02:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1812 View Post

Quote:

Where did you get "the streak"? In the trailer, Ollie comments "saving people in a flash" and later you hear Barry say "a friend suggested a new name, I think it's gonna catch on." And the series itself is titled The Flash. If they refer to him as "the streak" I suspect it will only be in the first episode or maybe first few.

The news headline said "red streak saves city" or something.

This looks like it could be ripe with event night crossover possibilities that WB used to do with Buffy and Angel. That would be quite cool.

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page