Forum Jump: 
 19Likes

post #1171 of 1187 Old 10-17-2014, 06:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Wow, lots of hate on this page. Interesting. Well, this week pulled on the ol' heartstrings just a little bit, when Ollie was talking about having to stay strong so that others could mourn. I really liked that.

After almost killing any caring I had for Laurel last season, I'm now very intrigued to see where they are taking her and how she will--if she does--become Black Canary. Thea is an interesting twist. I guess I figured she'd be training up, but I know of no comic version of her or any reimagining of a character that they are making her. Also liked the backstory we got to fill in what we knew about Tommy looking for Ollie.

Okay...

Should I comment on some of the thoughts above? ..... Okay just a couple replies. I agree that Ollie occasionally getting his ass kicked is good. People complain about invulnerable heroes having boring fights. Him getting shot by arrow or bullet or beat up is good for suspense. At least for me.

Really the only "issue" I had with this episode was the straight to the chest arrow in the patient that came through a side window almost perpendicular to him. That was a crazy curve ball! Haha!

Me...I watch comic book/superhero shows to have fun and don't get worked up or let things like fantastical stunts or hard-to-believe circumstances kill my enjoyment. I read comics and let me tell you, that **** gets crazy over the top. So I guess it's all a matter of perspective.
osu1991 likes this.

Last edited by bpeacock22; 10-18-2014 at 06:34 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1172 of 1187 Old 10-17-2014, 06:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 418
Ha, it didn't even occur to me about the bendy arrow!

The motorcycle duel was pretty good and they almost nailed it with the final stunt of the mercenary using his fallen bike as a surfboard.

But it was moving so slowly that it looked like he was just standing on a bike being pulled across the floor by two guys off camera.

Points for stunt creativity though.

post #1173 of 1187 Old 10-17-2014, 09:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Liked: 364
If there's anything to be said about the action on Arrow, it's that the guys in charge do an amazing job with what they have, especially for a show on a CW budget.
post #1174 of 1187 Old 10-18-2014, 07:11 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 19
I get where vfxproducer is coming from though. I think everyone agrees on him getting beat occasionally. Season 1 seemed to be a bit more balanced in this regard. In season two, however, he seemed to lose every fight he was in until the finale, and even then he had a lot of help. Granted he doesn't have superpowers like the flash, but he's still a "superhero" isn't he?

Having him lose most of his fights can be just as boring as him winning every time as well. I'd rather they return to the more balanced approach they took in season 1. He shouldn't have to lose every fight for the sake of drama.
post #1175 of 1187 Old 10-18-2014, 07:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 236
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post

The motorcycle duel was pretty good and they almost nailed it with the final stunt of the mercenary using his fallen bike as a surfboard.
I thought the motorcycle duel was pretty lame.

post #1176 of 1187 Old 10-18-2014, 07:38 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeKlim View Post
I get where vfxproducer is coming from though. I think everyone agrees on him getting beat occasionally. Season 1 seemed to be a bit more balanced in this regard. In season two, however, he seemed to lose every fight he was in until the finale, and even then he had a lot of help. Granted he doesn't have superpowers like the flash, but he's still a "superhero" isn't he?
No, he isn't. At least not yet. Every season is part of his journey to becoming Green Arrow. From the Hood, to the Vigilante and now to Arrow. This season the theme is identity and the last episode was an indicator of how Queen is trying to figure out just exactly who he is going to be.

To say he lost every fight in season two is wrong as well. He always loses early fights against his bigger enemies because it would be stupid if he won at this stage. It's not just essential storytelling beats that lead to the massive (and excellent) major victory in the finale but a necessary part of defeating a more powerful adversary.The same happened in season one as well. Beat the easy villains of the week, got his ass kicked by Merlyn.

If the show was based on actual skill for the outcome then Deathstroke should have killed Arrow, because Slade outmatches Ollie easily.

Now Deathstroke versus Green Arrow. That's a different story ...
mike1812 likes this.

post #1177 of 1187 Old 10-18-2014, 07:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by psgcdn View Post
I thought the motorcycle duel was pretty lame.
Ever seen it done on any other show?

Exactly my point.

post #1178 of 1187 Old 10-18-2014, 07:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 236
Lame in the sense that not only do we get two archers in costumes, but they both ride motorcycles and decide to ride past each other as if riding horses in medieval times, and miss.

post #1179 of 1187 Old 10-18-2014, 08:10 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Lame in the sense that not only do we get two archers in costumes, but they both ride motorcycles and decide to ride past each other as if riding horses in medieval times, and miss.
The jousting thing I thought was a great idea because it was exactly that. Medieval combat with medieval weapons, except on bikes! There were a lot of misses during an actual joust and the aim was to knock someone off (well, when they stopped the use of pointy lances) in order to win.

It was obviously intentional because it was impossible not to see it as a joust. And again, like many things on Sleepy Hollow, you just don't see that kind of thing anywhere else.

post #1180 of 1187 Old 10-18-2014, 08:11 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked: 674
Quote:
Which of course was the whole point - it was a modern day joust. Silly, sure, but appropriate to a show where medieval stick & string weapons are the weapons of choice.

Edit: Dammit VisionOn, stop beating me to the post-punch by one lousy minute! It's Saturday - don't you have a yard to mow or something?

Last edited by archiguy; 10-18-2014 at 08:14 AM.
post #1181 of 1187 Old 10-18-2014, 08:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post
Edit: Dammit VisionOn, stop beating me to the post-punch by one lousy minute! It's Saturday - don't you have a yard to mow or something?
Exactly. Why do you think I'm choosing to waste time tapping on an iPad!

When only chores await I'm not rushing to do anything else!

post #1182 of 1187 Old 10-18-2014, 08:38 AM

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Me...I watch comic book/superhero shows to have fun and don't get worked up or let things like fantastical stunts or hard-to-believe circumstances kill my enjoyment. I read comics and let me tell you, that **** gets crazy over the top. So I guess it's all a matter of perspective.
The problem is that this series takes itself too seriously for that to happen. With comics and other more lighthearted series, the cheesiness and ott elements work a lot better.
post #1183 of 1187 Old 10-18-2014, 11:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Last episode didn't do it for me either. It was hard to watch Felicity struggled so unconvincingly with the fake tears. I have said it many times before, does Oliver ever smile or say something remotely funny? He doesn't have to look constipated all the times. Some people think this show is much darker than that cutesy teenage show "The Flash". I don't think it's dark enough. It stopped being dark when Oliver decided to be a vigilante who doesn't have to kill. I want to see him stab the bad guys in the carotid artery with his arrow until he is soaked in blood. Now that's the Arrow I want to see.

Last edited by Davidt1; 10-18-2014 at 11:47 AM.
post #1184 of 1187 Old 10-18-2014, 12:48 PM

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
I don't think it's dark enough. It stopped being dark when Oliver decided to be a vigilante who doesn't have to kill. I want to see him stab the bad guys in the carotid artery with his arrow until he is soaked in blood. Now that's the Arrow I want to see.
I think you want another show entirely, there are some good cable shows out there.
post #1185 of 1187 Old 10-18-2014, 04:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 211
Quote:
I agree it came across as a (not funny) Saturday Night Live skit. My take is some people watch so much TV that anything lame is entertaining since it's not done as often.

Last edited by Charles R; 10-18-2014 at 04:39 PM.
post #1186 of 1187 Old 10-18-2014, 05:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post
I agree it came across as a (not funny) Saturday Night Live skit. My take is some people watch so much TV that anything lame is entertaining since it's not done as often.
Ooh burn.

From the guy who thinks generic-procedural Forever is somehow a new spin and watches Just Another Pointless Karaoke Show - The Voice.

And yes, anytime a television show does something new and unusual it should be applauded. After all you were the one who said that everything has been done before ...

except for two guys having an archery duel on motorbikes.

Last edited by VisionOn; 10-18-2014 at 06:05 PM.
post #1187 of 1187 Old 10-18-2014, 09:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Starting the premiere episode. (I'm slow... ) I heart Felicity.

Edit: Caught up... Well that went retarded fast.... UGHHHHHH....

My Summer Motto: "When Nature turns off the damn heat I'll turn off my A/C"

Last edited by Vipfreak; 10-18-2014 at 10:46 PM.
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page