post #1321 of 1342 Old 12-13-2014, 09:37 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeKlim View Post
Contrasted with Arrow, we saw this twice in the latest episode (that is, a blade going all the way through the other end). I'm sure there are subtle differences in movie standards and ratings vs. cable TV, but it'd be interesting to know if CW had to tiptoe, if at all. Perhaps the Avengers original depiction was way more graphic than Arrow's ever intended to be.
Because hardly anyone pays attention to what the CW does (especially the old folks who get their panties in a bunch) they can always get away with a lot more than usual. Supernatural has been decapitating, ripping out finger nails, exploding bodies and stabbing people in the eyes for years.

The CW's chosen demographic isn't going to complain and those most likely to be offended are probably watching CBS and never even bother to watch CW.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1322 of 1342 Old 12-13-2014, 11:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 65
I thought something/someone was going to interrupt the fight...like maybe a trap set by an unknown enemy. And Ras and Oliver would be attacked or held captive, and have to work together...blah blah blah. Glad that didn't happen. My only gripe was the fight--they made Oliver look "bad" instead of making Ras look like the better fighter. It reminded me of the flashbacks where Oliver still got his butt kicked. He looked clumsy and slow.
Turrican4D likes this.

thread closed
post #1323 of 1342 Old 12-13-2014, 01:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 487 Post(s)
Liked: 438
I got that impression, too. Oliver looked like he wasn't even trying. He surely should have lost, but he looked like he was throwing the fight more than that he wasn't good enough to win. I guess they can't afford the kind of stunt work necessary to make Oliver's usual antics look inadequate.
post #1324 of 1342 Old 12-13-2014, 02:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member

If you've seen video of Amell training the only way to make someone else look better in a duel like that is for him to dial it down. Matt Nable might be in decent shape for a 42 year old actor, but I doubt he can compete on stuntwork. He probably doesn't even want to bother for a TV show in which he only appears as a guest star now and then.

post #1325 of 1342 Old 12-14-2014, 05:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by JediMastr View Post
I thought something/someone was going to interrupt the fight...like maybe a trap set by an unknown enemy. And Ras and Oliver would be attacked or held captive, and have to work together...blah blah blah. Glad that didn't happen. My only gripe was the fight--they made Oliver look "bad" instead of making Ras look like the better fighter. It reminded me of the flashbacks where Oliver still got his butt kicked. He looked clumsy and slow.
Ras has manboobs.

Prof. Dr. Turrican M.D.
post #1326 of 1342 Old 12-14-2014, 07:54 AM
DDD

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post
Because hardly anyone pays attention to what the CW does (especially the old folks who get their panties in a bunch) they can always get away with a lot more than usual. Supernatural has been decapitating, ripping out finger nails, exploding bodies and stabbing people in the eyes for years.

The CW's chosen demographic isn't going to complain and those most likely to be offended are probably watching CBS and never even bother to watch CW.
Hey, I'm 62 and I love the CW! I've watched Supernatural since season 1. I watch almost all the CW shows. Heck, I even like "Heart of Dixie"
Charles R likes this.
post #1327 of 1342 Old 12-14-2014, 09:19 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDD View Post
Hey, I'm 62 and I love the CW! I've watched Supernatural since season 1. I watch almost all the CW shows. Heck, I even like "Heart of Dixie"
My mom was in her seventies and loved fantasy and horror stuff like Supernatural, Vampire Diaries and True Blood. The fact you've even seen any show on the CW means your panties are probably rarely ruffled!

Sensible people know what to expect from the description or when watching a show for any length of time. So if a viewer has made it through all the bodies and arrow pinnings so far they are most likely unfazed by what happened this week. Those that have no interest to begin with and would rather be watching various cops with different acronyms figure out who killed another hooker, are the ones most likely to send letters to the network. Especially if someone in the media told them what horrific things were happening on another network they don't watch and they should be outraged because television and kids. Those kids have seen worse on the internet by the time they watch Arrow.

I'm still amazed that there hasn't been a massive uproar over Comedy Central's late night swearfests.

post #1328 of 1342 Old 12-14-2014, 12:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post
I'm still amazed that there hasn't been a massive uproar over Comedy Central's late night swearfests.
I'm still amazed that CC bothers to bleep so much of its content. If you advertise on CC, you ought to be aware of the kind of programming that the network has, and I doubt bleeping it makes it unoffensive to people who would otherwise find it objectionable.
post #1329 of 1342 Old 12-14-2014, 03:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDD View Post
Yeah, I'm watching Arrow, Flash, The Vampire Diaries and The Originals.

Jerry. Just remember. Its not a lie . . . if you believe it. GC
post #1330 of 1342 Old 12-14-2014, 05:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 138
I'm 76 and watch The 100, The Flash, Arrow, and Jane the Virgin. This seasons four shows is a CW high for me, but I haven't ignored CBS (9 shows).
post #1331 of 1342 Old Yesterday, 06:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
I'm still amazed that CC bothers to bleep so much of its content. If you advertise on CC, you ought to be aware of the kind of programming that the network has, and I doubt bleeping it makes it unoffensive to people who would otherwise find it objectionable.
I tried to watch a Chris Rock show and gave up due to the constant beeps. I'm not sure why CC even ran the show.

And by the way, I'm an old fart and I watch The CW and CBS. Sometime NBC and wow, even ABC...

I might even go back to Syfy for the Ascension miniseries. I'm walkin' the wild side.
post #1332 of 1342 Old Yesterday, 07:28 AM
DDD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett Adams View Post
I'm 76 and watch The 100, The Flash, Arrow, and Jane the Virgin. This seasons four shows is a CW high for me, but I haven't ignored CBS (9 shows).
I know we are getting off topic, but, I'm surprised how much I like "Jane the Virgin". I'm also surprised it was nominated for a Golden Globe!
post #1333 of 1342 Old Yesterday, 08:03 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Now that Ollie is "dead" it seems we will have a replacement! According to producer Mark Guggenheim someone, or something else will be filling his shoes for a while ...
Spoiler!

post #1334 of 1342 Old Yesterday, 12:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I would rather see Thea, Palmer, or even Laurel taking over before flip boy.
post #1335 of 1342 Old Today, 02:04 AM
Advanced Member

lol @ 'flip-boy' but I think Palmer will put on that 'atom' suit and help protect the city while Oliver recovers. I think the league will find Oliver alive, much to their surprise. He won't have any memory of who he is or what happened. They will nurse him back to health, and persuade him to become one of them. Of course then they will send him on a mission to Star city to kill Merlin, and maybe even Thea...he'll probably snap out of it right before killing Thea though.

I actually hope none of that happens, but we'll see...

thread closed
post #1336 of 1342 Old Today, 02:16 AM
Advanced Member

lol @ "Jane the Virgin"...the acting in the promos looked terrible--and the concept rather ridiculous...I mean, accidentally inseminating a patient--let's just say "okay" to that--but after being pregnant and having a baby, what's the hook?..."Jane the single mother we still consider a virgin"? Maybe we get her pregnant without sex again? What else aren't virgins supposed have besides babies? STD's? LOL

Yeah the CW missed me with that one, and that "Reign" thing, also "the 100", and hell I could never even get into the "Vamp Diaries" or "Supernatural". Now that I think about it, I guess "Flash" and "Arrow" are all I watch on the CW. I did like "Hellcats" from a few seasons ago--for obvious reasons--and "the tomorrow people" was ok, but it's gone.

thread closed
post #1337 of 1342 Old Today, 08:27 AM
DDD

post #1338 of 1342 Old Today, 08:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Wow what a cliffhanger, indeed! Smell teased on his twitter "it's been a good run". I definitely think they will use a Lazarus Pit, and his buddy from Hong Kong is the one retrieving his body. Remains to be seen whether any of the side effects, shall we say, that are known in comics, affects Ollie in this show.

Well so I was wrong about Sara's killer. Dang it. I'm not sure I like the brainwashed twist though. Wouldn't it have been better for Merlyn to have sent Thea to kill "the Canary" and she didn't know who it really was? What an interesting story line for Thea to realize what she did when she saw Laurel at the cemetery, and now she has to live with it. I don't know...just thinking aloud. Brainwash is one of those copiously used story elements that's getting a little tired.

Like some posters above said, I was a little surprised--but unaffected--by the blood spurts on Ollie's arm and with the stab. Speaking of that fight, there were some good lines. Ra's saying he'd just take Ollie's weapons when he was through with them and kill him with them. Nissa saying she was envious of Ollie for going to see Sara (in death) first. Geez!

I still remain sad how underutilized Parkour-Man--I mean Arsenal--is this season.
post #1339 of 1342 Old Today, 08:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 457 Post(s)
Liked: 730
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpeacock22 View Post
Well so I was wrong about Sara's killer. Dang it. I'm not sure I like the brainwashed twist though. Wouldn't it have been better for Merlyn to have sent Thea to kill "the Canary" and she didn't know who it really was? What an interesting story line for Thea to realize what she did when she saw Laurel at the cemetery, and now she has to live with it. I don't know...just thinking aloud. Brainwash is one of those copiously used story elements that's getting a little tired.
I kind of like your idea about killing BC, but that would have required Thea to plug her in the back so Sara wouldn't have seen her killer. Which wouldn't have been sporting and would have negated the plot-point that Sara knew her killer and was unsuspecting enough to let down her guard.

Totally agree with you about the brainwashing conceit - it's dreadfully overused and trite. Highly paid television scriptwriters ought to be able to do better.

Last edited by archiguy; Today at 07:26 PM.
post #1340 of 1342 Old Today, 12:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post
Totally agree with you about the brainwashing conceit - it's dreadfully overused and trite. Highly paid television scriptwriters ought to be able to do better.
Like I said previously I don't think there is anyway at all that would have made Thea a legitimate killer outside of brainwashing. If the writers had tried to convince the audience that in the space of six months Merlyn managed to convince the previously nice girl Thea to kill the sister of a family she grew up with, it would have been completely implausible.

The writers chose the better option in many respects since it also demonstrates that Merlyn is still an evil manipulator and his feelings for his daughter do not supercede his own goals.

post #1341 of 1342 Old Today, 12:50 PM
AVS Special Member

I'd rather have Thea be an implausible villain than a brainwashed trope of a helpless little sister, though. At least then her character would serve a purpose beyond making Oliver frown all the time at how he has to lie about himself to his family.
post #1342 of 1342 Old Today, 09:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 91
The Lazarus Pit will change Ollie to be big on conservation. He will become The Green Arrow- meaning he will recycle all his used arrows...
Reply HDTV Programming