"Arrow" on The CW HD - Page 46 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 164Likes
post #1351 of 1698 Old 12-21-2014, 01:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
smallville
Oh god... #Shudder Thanks for reminding me about that...

My Summer Motto: "When Nature turns off the damn heat I'll turn off my A/C"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1352 of 1698 Old 12-21-2014, 04:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
I'd rather have Thea be an implausible villain than a brainwashed trope of a helpless little sister, though. At least then her character would serve a purpose beyond making Oliver frown all the time at how he has to lie about himself to his family.
It would still make more sense than what the writers ended up doing for Laurel's character, at least here, there would be more of a context to her turn rather than the writers meandering around her character for at least 2 seasons.
post #1353 of 1698 Old 12-27-2014, 06:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machuran View Post
It would still make more sense than what the writers ended up doing for Laurel's character, at least here, there would be more of a context to her turn rather than the writers meandering around her character for at least 2 seasons.
My guess here is that the Sarah/Canary character was too good and a fan favorite that they went "oops" and had to drag out the time frame to have Laurel go Canary. Personally I wish they would have just kept Sarah around and gave up on the turn Laurel into Canary business.
Machuran likes this.

Scott
post #1354 of 1698 Old 12-27-2014, 08:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonscott87 View Post
My guess here is that the Sarah/Canary character was too good and a fan favorite that they went "oops" and had to drag out the time frame to have Laurel go Canary. Personally I wish they would have just kept Sarah around and gave up on the turn Laurel into Canary business.
That and her becoming BC is 1 of many subplots being juggled around this season, there's not enough time/development after meandering for 2 seasons and then giving her that addiction storyline that was supposed to be important for her character and ended up being a complete misfire. The handling/execution for what was supposed to be an important character for this series is baffling.
post #1355 of 1698 Old 01-08-2015, 10:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked: 2330
New trailer.

Take life with a grain of salt... a slice of lime, and a shot of tequila
post #1356 of 1698 Old 01-12-2015, 10:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuaneAA View Post
I like 'The Wrath of Smoak' for the new title
Personally, I'd prefer The Smoaking Gun, but that's just me.

I'm surprised at all the discussion about Arsenal taking over the show. It seems to me a given that Green Arrow has a trip to the Lazarus Pits ahead of him, or some similar plot device to save his life (slowed metabolism due to freezing cold, etc. etc. etc.).
post #1357 of 1698 Old 01-12-2015, 11:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked: 683
You can't have the word "gun" in the title of a superhero show, though, especially when the normal lead uses a bow.
post #1358 of 1698 Old 01-12-2015, 01:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by vfxproducer View Post
Personally, I'd prefer The Smoaking Gun, but that's just me.

I'm surprised at all the discussion about Arsenal taking over the show. It seems to me a given that Green Arrow has a trip to the Lazarus Pits ahead of him, or some similar plot device to save his life (slowed metabolism due to freezing cold, etc. etc. etc.).
We all know Green Arrow is coming back whether via the Lazarus Pits or something else. (My personal guess is that it won't be by the Lazarus Pits as the Arrow writers have ALWAYS chosen the least comic book solution to any situation. Even throwing in the comment indicating Ra's al Ghul was older than normal seemed unusually bold for them.)

So spending the winter hiatus discussing how he comes back seems less interesting then exploring how the story could go forward without Oliver, even though we know that isn't going to happen or at least not for more than a brief episode or two.

Duane
post #1359 of 1698 Old 01-12-2015, 02:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
You can't have the word "gun" in the title of a superhero show
Gunsmith Cats beg to differ...

post #1360 of 1698 Old 01-12-2015, 03:31 PM
AVS Special Member

That's a Japanese series, not a superhero show. Manga (and its anime derivatives) has far more range than American comic books and obviously doesn't obey American taboos.
post #1361 of 1698 Old 01-13-2015, 01:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
That's a Japanese series, not a superhero show. Manga (and its anime derivatives) has far more range than American comic books and obviously doesn't obey American taboos.
I would argue that it is every bit a super hero show as as Arrow is, given it's people fighting crimes using weapons and no supernatural powers. I see very little practical distinction, other than the national origin of the comic property.
post #1362 of 1698 Old 01-14-2015, 08:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 710
Just checked in to this thread and risking any spoilers ahead of the next episode expecting to see the other news.

CW are considering another Arrow spin-off. This time with Routh as ATOM!

That seems like a very risky venture and the reverse of the main criticism with Flash. Sure, Routh has the muscles, but the charisma to carry a series?

And that is coming from someone who actually likes him on Arrow.

post #1363 of 1698 Old 01-14-2015, 09:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 40
"Vixen" Animated Series Spinoff from "Arrow" and "Flash" Coming to CW Seed

http://www.toonzone.net/2015/01/vixe...oming-cw-seed/

YOU ARE READING AVS FORUM

post #1364 of 1698 Old 01-14-2015, 10:06 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Carr View Post

http://www.toonzone.net/2015/01/vixe...oming-cw-seed/
Looking forward to seeing that crossover episode on Arrow! Even in 2D on the show, the character would probably still have more depth than Laurel.

/snark

post #1365 of 1698 Old 01-14-2015, 10:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post
Just checked in to this thread and risking any spoilers ahead of the next episode expecting to see the other news.

That seems like a very risky venture and the reverse of the main criticism with Flash. Sure, Routh has the muscles, but the charisma to carry a series?

I liked him on Chuck too. Superman meh.
post #1366 of 1698 Old 01-14-2015, 11:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Carr View Post
How is it a spinoff when she (whoever she is) hasn't appeared on either show? Is her character supposed to appear in the second half of the current season?
post #1367 of 1698 Old 01-14-2015, 01:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 535 Post(s)
Liked: 348
Quote:
How is it a spinoff when she (whoever she is) hasn't appeared on either show? Is her character supposed to appear in the second half of the current season?

I'm assuming that this is their qualification for it being a "spinoff":

".......which also revealed that the animated series will be set in the same continuity as the live-action Arrow and Flash TV shows."

Pretty weak. Just a marketing ploy to generate interest from viewers that enjoy the other two shows.
post #1368 of 1698 Old 01-14-2015, 04:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 158
Quote:

My nervousness about that news is less with Routh and more about the Atom. I think there are only so many compelling stories you can tell about a man that shrinks in size, unless you have a theatrical-level budget.
post #1369 of 1698 Old 01-14-2015, 04:43 PM
AVS Special Member

I think it's just a bad idea in general. You can only have so many superhero shows at a time before people get burned out. I don't want Atom to suck the life out of Arrow and Flash.
post #1370 of 1698 Old 01-14-2015, 06:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I think it's just a bad idea in general. You can only have so many superhero shows at a time before people get burned out. I don't want Atom to suck the life out of Arrow and Flash.
True, but it's no surprise as their biggest hits are from comic book shows.
post #1371 of 1698 Old 01-21-2015, 07:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Not a bad start, but very choppy. That kind of undermined the dramatic moments dealing with Ollie's not-death. I was disappointed they resurrected him so soon because the mystical snow-dragging scenes created a nice air of mystery. And then he kind of just woke up in a hut. Meh.

Roy got more dialog this episode than he had the entire season and there were some exciting shootout moments from Diggle and Roy. Plus, in the words of Larry Sanders - "no flipping!"

During the flashback gunfight in Hong Kong the effects work went strangely bad and the muzzle flash effects got cut in half.

Plus, Laurel became Black Canary. Yay?

post #1372 of 1698 Old 01-22-2015, 06:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 300 Post(s)
Liked: 269
Despite some posters' problems with the show, I still like it a lot and more than the Flash. Arrow has better fleshed out characters and is still (somewhat) grounded in what mortals can do as opposed to the fantastical in Flash. I do think that Arrow does a better job, thus far, showing how the vigilante life takes a toll on you.

As to the first program, it was going to be a certainty that the guys remaining were going to have trouble knowing what to do. I liked that they first acted as if Oliver wasn't dead (denying the obvious) and then when confronted with the truth, broke down. Felicity Smoak is acting in line with how she took Sara's death and is just shutting down.

I was a bit taken aback by the flashback because it had always seemed like a corollary with his ongoing story (as if the flashback was an incite into his memory rather than an independent story line) but that changed. I was also confused about Oliver letting the guy go because he wasn't supposed to be that kind of guy at that time. So when Oliver revealed he did it to track the guy, that was a very pleasant surprise and made the rest of it (Maseo's heroics in "rescuing" Oliver) understandable.

Yeah I agree that the show made his resurrection seem like nothing but I do assume that will be the focus of a show either soon or to come and I also presume there may be some consequences that come along with it (if Arrow stays true to how they do things).

One prime example of the worth of this show was Felicity's breakdown with Ray and telling him that his fiance (Anna) wouldn't want him to do what he was doing. Ray changed and grew a bit cold and told her that she didn't get to tell him what Anna would have wanted. Another was when Felicity hugged Diggle. If you noticed, Diggle barely returned the hug and only a bit at the end which I thought was really well done.

I know Flash is getting a lot of love for its more light hearted take and I watch that show but Arrow is still a very good show and I think they got it right.
mike1812 likes this.

Jerry. Just remember. Its not a lie . . . if you believe it. GC

Last edited by daryl zero; 01-22-2015 at 07:01 AM.
post #1373 of 1698 Old 01-22-2015, 07:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Not a bad start, but very choppy. That kind of undermined the dramatic moments dealing with Ollie's not-death. I was disappointed they resurrected him so soon because the mystical snow-dragging scenes created a nice air of mystery. And then he kind of just woke up in a hut. Meh.
Pretty much, but they weren't fooling anyone with his 'death' so the cliffhanger didn't do much because it wasn't a character who could've actually stayed dead.
post #1374 of 1698 Old 01-22-2015, 07:43 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Pretty much, but they weren't fooling anyone with his 'death' so the cliffhanger didn't do much because it wasn't a character who could've actually stayed dead.
True, but a better resurrection sequence played out over two episodes would have added to the mythology of the character. The show could at least have made it look like an effort to revive him.

A slow build up sequence following on from collecting his body, taking him to an ancient place, preparing the body, performing a ritual and slowly watching life pump through Queen's body would have been a far more worthy revival and a more powerful event for a heroic rebirth. Especially if they used an ancient Lazaraus Pit.

He's dead! <hand wave> He's alive again! Hooray! Yay show!
archiguy likes this.

post #1375 of 1698 Old 01-22-2015, 09:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
True, but a better resurrection sequence played out over two episodes would have added to the mythology of the character. The show could at least have made it look like an effort to revive him.

A slow build up sequence following on from collecting his body, taking him to an ancient place, preparing the body, performing a ritual and slowly watching life pump through Queen's body would have been a far more worthy revival and a more powerful event for a heroic rebirth. Especially if they used an ancient Lazaraus Pit.

He's dead! <hand wave> He's alive again! Hooray! Yay show!
Or not have him be 'dead'/dying in the first place or use that as a cliffhanger although I would've been interested in seeing the Lazarus' pit ritual for bringing someone back.
post #1376 of 1698 Old 01-22-2015, 09:43 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Or not have him be 'dead'/dying in the first place or use that as a cliffhanger although I would've been interested in seeing the Lazarus' pit ritual for bringing someone back.
Usually it takes a TV show two episodes to recover from a cliffhanger that "shakes things up" and then it's back to the weekly norm. If Arrow follows that template Queen should be Back in Green in two weeks and salmon laddering.

I'm hoping at least his resurrection will have altered him in some way that changes the dynamic. I guess he can't go mad crazy as a side effect because Roy already did that. Will he be even more brooding like Buffy was when she came back from the dead? I don't think I can take that. I'll settle for invulnerable to pain as a side effect that will cause him to laugh in the face of danger.

post #1377 of 1698 Old 01-22-2015, 02:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Why would Merlin tell Thea that they were in danger and have to leave the city forever? Danger from what?

Say what you will about Laurel. She is hot in black leather. She seems to have acquired fighting skills faster than even Thea who is trained by a master assassin.

Can't stand the "a villain a week" formula.
post #1378 of 1698 Old 01-22-2015, 03:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidt1 View Post
Say what you will about Laurel. She is hot in black leather.
Not enough leather. You can still see her chin and she has the legs of twigs.

She needs a Deathstroke mask.

Sigh, not even close to the many talents of Caity ...

Last edited by VisionOn; 01-22-2015 at 03:23 PM.
post #1379 of 1698 Old 01-22-2015, 07:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked: 217
Where is this League of Assassins Lair? New Jersey? These guys just jet back and forth like it's a hop, skip and jump away. Nyssa gives Arrow the 48 hour deadline and then travels back to the lair to give a status update Arrow putz es around for a day or so and then goes to the lair to challenge big baddie. Then Merlin goes and finds the sword with Arrows blood on it and then travels back to give it to the Arrow gang like he took a trip to the grocery store.
post #1380 of 1698 Old 01-22-2015, 07:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Usually it takes a TV show two episodes to recover from a cliffhanger that "shakes things up" and then it's back to the weekly norm. If Arrow follows that template Queen should be Back in Green in two weeks and salmon laddering.

I'm hoping at least his resurrection will have altered him in some way that changes the dynamic. I guess he can't go mad crazy as a side effect because Roy already did that. Will he be even more brooding like Buffy was when she came back from the dead? I don't think I can take that. I'll settle for invulnerable to pain as a side effect that will cause him to laugh in the face of danger.
He's already drowning in angst and brooding, so there's not much you can do with that. As for his resurrection, I'm not sure how much more of a shake up there can be for his character.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page