"Arrow" on The CW HD - Page 49 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 147Likes

post #1441 of 1655 Old 02-05-2015, 08:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked: 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turrican4D View Post
Merlyn is now a pussy, too.
First it was the pussification of American sports (who needs a helmet?) and now the pussification of comic book villains. What is a red blooded angry old white person supposed to do?
mike1812 likes this.

Jerry. Just remember. Its not a lie . . . if you believe it. GC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1442 of 1655 Old 02-06-2015, 04:46 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 877 Post(s)
Liked: 915
Quote:
Originally Posted by daryl zero View Post
First it was the pussification of American sports (who needs a helmet?) and now the pussification of comic book villains. What is a red blooded angry old white person supposed to do?
There will always be FOX News.
post #1443 of 1655 Old 02-06-2015, 09:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 82
I am very disappointed we are expected to just accept that Oliver got stabbed through the lung and/or digestive organs, fell hundreds of feet and was left in the cold, and Tatsu just healed him by her knowledge of medicine. And what, they want us to just suppose that the cold is what kept him preserved? This is the single greatest misstep of this show, in my opinion. So much potential with Lazarus Pits and such.

But that last line though. "I don't want to be one of your women." Ouch! Burn!
post #1444 of 1655 Old 02-06-2015, 10:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Actually, the quote was...

"I don't want to be a woman... that you love."

Definitely Ouch though!
post #1445 of 1655 Old 02-06-2015, 10:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpeacock22 View Post
I am very disappointed we are expected to just accept that Oliver got stabbed through the lung and/or digestive organs, fell hundreds of feet and was left in the cold, and Tatsu just healed him by her knowledge of medicine. And what, they want us to just suppose that the cold is what kept him preserved? This is the single greatest misstep of this show, in my opinion.
Agree 100%...there should have been some difficulty, at the very least! There can be no tension in any follow-up fight with Ra's. Even if he beheads Oliver, they only need to apply some herbal tea to the stump.
This was a MAJOR fail.
post #1446 of 1655 Old 02-06-2015, 11:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by film113 View Post
Agree 100%...there should have been some difficulty, at the very least! There can be no tension in any follow-up fight with Ra's. Even if he beheads Oliver, they only need to apply some herbal tea to the stump.
This was a MAJOR fail.
Perhaps it would have been more believable is R'as had sliced Oliver in the serious but not fatal tv abdomen spot and he stumbled over the cliff.
post #1447 of 1655 Old 02-06-2015, 11:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsambuca View Post
Actually, the quote was...

"I don't want to be a woman... that you love."

Definitely Ouch though!
After saying that bad things happen to women that he loves.
Not so much a burn as self-preservation.

"Before you left, the last thing you said to me was that you loved me. Now you're back and the first thing you tell me is that you're working with the man who turned your sister, a woman you're supposed to love, into a killer who killed a woman you used to love! I don't want to be a woman that you love."

post #1448 of 1655 Old 02-11-2015, 10:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1292 Post(s)
Liked: 2144
Another Harpered episode and difficult to get thru.

Take life with a grain of salt... a slice of lime, and a shot of tequila
post #1449 of 1655 Old 02-12-2015, 07:12 AM
AVS Special Member

I thought it was a very important ep. The reveal to Thea and the gang basically telling Oliver that it no longer is a dictatorship. The show hasn't hesitated on making Oliver way wrong on things which is good. Great scenes with Laurel and her father both in hallucination and at the end. Harper is sort of a poorly developed character at this point but there are signs that he might get a life.
mike1812 likes this.

post #1450 of 1655 Old 02-12-2015, 01:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 687
This seemed like a clearing house episode. Almost everyone came clean so we don't have multiple rotting plot points weighing the show down the longer they go on. Maybe now the show can move on to better things. It appears Arrow has. Dead one month. Up and ready to bow and arrow the next.

The only thing left undisclosed was Merlyn framing Thea. Which made Thea's instant pissy turn all the more unbelievable. Since the beginning of this season she has been defending Merlyn against Oliver at every possible turn, yet because at some point in the past Merlyn said something about Oliver (which I cannot even remember) Thea flips the second she finds out Oliver is Arrow. Then she is spouting dialog about all the horrible things Merlyn has done that are unforgivable. Huh, what? You mean the same things you already forgave him for last year or just saying bitchy stuff about the Arrow? Which is apparently more unforgivable than the murders and carnage Merlyn wrought previously.

Someone pointed out elsewhere how dumb the assassin DJ was. The League sent an assassin to masquerade as a legendary DJ. He didn't just roll into town with the sole intention of killing Merlyn, but as mentioned when he was first introduced he spent some time - years I think - creating a rep as a DJ. That's one of the wierdest deep cover assignments I can imagine. Especially if it was years in the making just to get a shot playing in Verdant. Bartender might have been a faster route.

In other tropes. Roy got knocked down again. Laurel screwed up again. She got dosed in the same way not once, but twice. Also funny to see her super vigilante reflexes take out the Marshall in the opening. She must have stood there for thirty seconds just watching until the Marshall had shot multiple people before skipping into action with a woefully unconvincing punch. Her scene with Quentin was her saving grace this episode. Weirdly I thought she looked more attractive with her "just woke up from near-death Vertigo look" than her leather stick insect attire.

Still not even close to Caity though. I guess this will be the last last time on the show for her.

Bring on Slade and ATOM. This season needs to go somewhere.
bpeacock22 and Turrican4D like this.

post #1451 of 1655 Old 02-12-2015, 02:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Shoot Harper with a poison arrow and dump his body in the river. Put Laurel in a medically induced coma. Give Sarah some magic tea and bring her back. Throw in Slade for good measure. There ya go, the perfect recipe. Oh, and get Felicity some Midol. Her PMSing is too much.

post #1452 of 1655 Old 02-12-2015, 04:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 199
I am getting tired of Oliver getting 10-15 seconds of one-on-one time with a Big Bad, and then rather than sending a trio of arrows at them he instead hears them out and then falls victim to another getaway ploy. I guess Oliver is not familiar with the old saying, fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me.
post #1453 of 1655 Old 02-12-2015, 07:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 841 Post(s)
Liked: 642
Does Thea finally learning the truth mean she's about to join the gang, or is this a precursor to her death? This episode seems too good to be true. Now that everybody knows Oliver's secret, the deception angle of the show is pretty much dead, and that feels too easy. Oliver's not allowed to be happy, after all.

As for Thea, she was angry because when Malcolm told her to leave Starling to become strong, he said that Starling had nothing for her and nobody cared about her there, even though he knew Oliver wasn't really a flake at the time. Thea blames Malcolm for trying to manipulate her onto his side and separating her from her brother for his own gain.

I thought Thea's induction was surprisingly well done. For once somebody is just happpy that Oliver had a good reason for his flakey persona instead of storming off in a huff because she wasn't in the scooby gang.
psgcdn likes this.
post #1454 of 1655 Old 02-13-2015, 02:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked: 222
Yeah... I was impressed that they wrote Thea as a matured person here... She was pissed that Oliver knew about Malcolm being her father last season even though Oliver only knew for like 5 minutes longer than Thea... and she was pissed at him lying to her in the past... BUT this time, he comes clean and she knows a lot of the lies was because he was really out doing good things that she admired and that while she thought he was being a self-absorbed ass he was really doing good things for the city and even saved her life a time or two... but the typical TV trope is "you lied, screw you" for a few episodes... so I was pleasantly amazed that they had her look at the situation logically and with maturity and conclude that it was cool he finally came clean with her.

I admit, though, her 180 on Malcolm was a bit odd. IF she was mad at him for lying about Oliver that's one thing... but all the examples of stuff she was bringing up were things she already knew...

Now the million dollar question is... will she be more pissed at Oliver OR Malcolm when she finds out it was her that killed Sarah... Malcolm for making her do it OR Oliver for keeping that secret and having them all work together? If they keep the smart writing, she will be double-pissed at Malcolm and feel really badly for Oliver having to keep that secret.

Seems like they are going to make her be Speedy for real, though... the female speedy of course... only difference is her being related to Oliver instead of someone he rescues.
psgcdn likes this.

Me do not have signature.
Where I am when I'm not here!
post #1455 of 1655 Old 02-13-2015, 07:01 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I also liked the fact that Thea didn't, once again, storm off in a huff that she had been lied to by Oliver. Of course, the one remaining "big secret" is still that she killed Sara. Once she finds that out, it's all over between her and Malcolm; no reconciliation from that. Which probably also means one or the other will be leaving the show when that reveal happens. (Personally, I wouldn't mind Barrowman taking another shot at 'Torchwood'.)

But I'm still bothered by how quickly Oliver came back, good as new and in top fighting form, from what should have been a fatal wound from Ra's. Where he was stabbed would have certainly punctured a major organ or two, and only the immediate skills of a top-flight thoracic surgical team at a top-rated hospital could have saved him. Instead, he gets a few stitches and some herbal remedies and he's good to go.

Lazy writing, IMO. If Ollie is essentially invulnerable, then the entire premise of the show - that he's just an ordinary guy who developed his body and archery skills through hard work, insane workouts, and endless practice - is bogus. But they could have gone in several different directions. Stabbing him in one of the couple of non-fatal areas that TV heroes always get stabbed or shot in that never prove fatal would be one. That trope is so common by now that nobody even notices it anymore.

Here's another: Ra's is so impressed by Ollie's bravery and self-sacrifice (and he probably knows Ollie didn't kill Sara because he's, well... Ra's), and his otherworldly swordsmanship skills are so advanced, that he could have stabbed Ollie in some special place (just under the diaphragm, just missing all the major organs including lungs by fractions of a millimeter, for example) that would allow him to just possibly survive. The ultimate act of good sportsmanship. If so, then Tatsu could have told him that during his hour-long "recovery". Or something like that. Forpetesake, just acknowledge that there has to be some logical reason for Ollie to survive what should have been, by all accounts, a fatal stroke.

But that's just me. I'm such a killjoy.
post #1456 of 1655 Old 02-13-2015, 07:14 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post
Here's another: Ra's is so impressed by Ollie's bravery and self-sacrifice (and he probably knows Ollie didn't kill Sara because he's, well... Ra's), and his otherworldly swordsmanship skills are so advanced, that he could have stabbed Ollie in some special place (just under the diaphragm, just missing all the major organs including lungs by fractions of a millimeter, for example) that would allow him to just possibly survive. The ultimate act of good sportsmanship.
Yeah, but then Ra's kicked him over the edge of a very high cliff and Ollie was lucky enough to fall just hundreds of feet onto a narrow rocky ledge, so ...

I have to say Amell has upped his acting skills. He sold a lot of emotion with his facial expressions in the Thea scene and the argument with Fall Over Boy.
daryl zero likes this.

post #1457 of 1655 Old 02-13-2015, 07:19 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post
Yeah, but then Ra's kicked him over the edge of a very high cliff and Ollie was lucky enough to fall just hundreds of feet onto a narrow rocky ledge, so ...
Not hundreds, looked to be 30 or 40, onto a flat ledge that Ra's probably knew was there. Work with me here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn
I have to say Amell has upped his acting skills. He sold a lot of emotion with his facial expressions in the Thea scene and the argument with Fall Over Boy.
That I don't see. He's still pretty one-note. For instance, he still hasn't discovered he has neck muscles and doesn't have to turn his whole body to converse with someone not directly in front of him.
post #1458 of 1655 Old 02-13-2015, 07:26 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Not hundreds, looked to be 30 or 40, onto a flat ledge that Ra's probably knew was there. Work with me here...
If Ra's had carefully stabbed him and gave him a chance to survive then that would have been sporting. But, kicking him off a cliff afterwards is just a dick move!

Might as well have tied his hands together too, just to make his survival more challenging and worthy of respect.

Quote:
That I don't see. He's still pretty one-note. For instance, he still hasn't discovered he has neck muscles and doesn't have to turn his whole body to converse with someone not directly in front of him.
Watch the scenes I mentioned. You can see the same reactions the viewers probably had when Thea didn't go teenage tantrum on him.

post #1459 of 1655 Old 02-13-2015, 02:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 102
Some of this stuff gets difficult to swallow. I find it really hard to believe Thea is going to be able to kill Sarah. Malcolm training Thea is laughable. She's like 5'0 and 85 lbs soaking wet. Laura is another one that is highly unbelievable.. And funny,everyone is an archer lol C'mon! It should be Oliver and Roy using arrows. Sarah had the right build for Black Canary,she was believable,Laurel is not. She looks like a Lawyer/Reporter. I like how everyone on the show was trained by the league of assassins.. LOL I like the show,but its getting a little too cheesy.. Kill off Thea,she's dead weight anyhow,then name Roy speedy in honor of her memory. If Thea becomes speedy for real,think that will drop it off my DVR.

On a side note,what would be really cool and would get everyone's attention... Oliver goes to face Ra's as the Arrow,he is standing on the same mountain top where he fought him last time,while they are talking a weird looking fighter type place fly's over head,a figure is seen falling down and doing a flip before landing in one knee down position,he stands up look over at Oliver and says,Arrow I presume,Arrow says who are you? Then Ra's says,BATMAN this isn't your fight. Oliver has a dumbfounded look on his face,and says,your real? Batman says,this isn't your fight,stay out of it. Oliver tells Batman Ra's has marked his family for death,Batman says I know,I'll deal with Ra's,stand back.. Oliver,being overwhelmed by even seeing Batman complies. Then asks Batman,do you want my sword,Batman replies,I don't need one. Then a really cool fight ensues in which Batman wins,but doesn't kill him. But makes him swear to leave Oliver's family and friends alone. He agree's.

Now,how cool would that be! They obviously wouldn't have a Batman crossover like the Flash,but it would put Batman in the Arrow's universe not to mention ,you would hear about Batman sightings from time to time. I realize being they have the fledgling show Gotham running that they probably can't even do it.. But what if? Maybe a season finale. Of course they are going to save Batman and Superman for the big screen,But like John Travolta said in Swordfish... What if?
Machuran likes this.
post #1460 of 1655 Old 02-13-2015, 02:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Since I created such a fuss in The Flash thread last week, I might as well head the Arrow thread off on a tangent, too.

I came across this really cool rumor. There were comments by the top guys at CW a few weeks ago about another possible spin-off from Arrow for next season. Everyone quickly suspected it would be the Atom. But this rumor is way, way better:

Spoiler!
post #1461 of 1655 Old 02-13-2015, 02:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuaneAA View Post
Since I created such a fuss in The Flash thread last week, I might as well head the Arrow thread off on a tangent, too.

I came across this really cool rumor. There were comments by the top guys at CW a few weeks ago about another possible spin-off from Arrow for next season. Everyone quickly suspected it would be the Atom. But this rumor is way, way better:

Spoiler!
Thought you were gonna say Harper's getting his own show. I was ready to send Ra's al Ghul to your doorstep.

post #1462 of 1655 Old 02-13-2015, 02:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 102
Quote:

Spoiler!
That would actually be par for the course,it would be better than the Atom.. Antman and Atom do nothing for me. I doubt green lantern would happen,and why Diggle? Are they going to turn Felicity into Supergirl next,cmon.. Actually,if you gave her a rack job,she would make a perfect Supergirl..
post #1463 of 1655 Old 02-13-2015, 03:20 PM

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:

Spoiler!
As long as it's better than the movie and he gets more screen time.
post #1464 of 1655 Old 02-13-2015, 03:47 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm surprised people are as upset about Oliver's magic recovery as they are. It's a superhero show about a guy who somehow manages to take down armies of thugs with machineguns using a bow. The whole show is magic. I don't care if Oliver came back to life with magic tea. I expect that kind of silliness from spandex shows.

Quote:
Forpetesake, just acknowledge that there has to be some logical reason for Ollie to survive what should have been, by all accounts, a fatal stroke.
No there doesn't. Superheroes are fantasy, not science fiction. There doesn't need to be a rational explanation for anything, ever. Oliver's magical recovery was a bit lazier than usual for this show, but then again, the amount of time it would have taken for him to realistically recover from such a wound would have made the next 20 episodes super boring. "This week on Arrow: Oliver goes to physical therapy to learn to walk again!"
osu1991 and Zookster like this.
post #1465 of 1655 Old 02-13-2015, 05:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked: 222
The Oliver vs Ras fight in a lot of ways mirrors a classic story from Denny O'Neil and Neal Adams run on Batman... but that story did a better job of the fight. In that Batman story, Ras and Batman are fighting shirtless outside but they are in a desert and there is a scorpion on the field with them. They have to fight each other AND avoid the scorpion... but the scorpion stings Batman and he "dies"... but of course Talia (Ras' daughter) saves Batman with an antidote for the poison. Batman then ends up coming back and winning the day.

It was a better version, because the "out" to have Batman lose the fight, die, then come back was more plausible than what they did with Oliver. Too many bad things happened to him that he recovers from way too quickly.

Though, to be fair... They said he was gone a month... so if he died pretty much on the first day or two of that month and then was brought back just as quickly... he had most of a month to be recovering before coming back home... then there clearly was some passage of time more than a week between the last 2 episodes. They didn't state it explicitly, but there was more than a week of implied TV-time passing in between these last two episodes... so maybe another month has gone by... and Oliver still has those miracle herbs to drink that seem to cure everything!

Me do not have signature.
Where I am when I'm not here!
post #1466 of 1655 Old 02-13-2015, 07:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Wait for the season 4 flashback scenes where we discover Oliver was replaced by a shape-shifting, liquid metal terminator. Sword through the chest? Able to fall of tall cliffs in a single bound? Limited emotional range? It's now all so obvious.
post #1467 of 1655 Old 02-14-2015, 12:25 PM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 21
My question/observation has nothing to do with the story line. Is it my imagination, or has Felicity (Emily Rickards) "fleshed out" since last season? The show tends to dress her in somewhat "tight" clothing that is usually somewhat light in color. It just seems to me she is filling out her costumes more than she used to. Last season, she seemed (IMO) to look thinner. I'm not implying she is overweight by any means. It's just that she appears to be a little more "full-figured" than last season. Please don't flame me-I'm not trying to be sexist about this. It's just an observation of mine that could be entirely incorrect. Does anyone else share this view?
post #1468 of 1655 Old 02-14-2015, 12:34 PM
AVS Special Member

I doubt anybody else noticed, because they were too busy complaining about Laurel's appearance.
post #1469 of 1655 Old 02-14-2015, 01:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I noticed Felicity has been getting her curves on a while back. She must not be fight training anymore. That's what happens when you sit behind a computer all the time. So at least the show is grounded in some realism.

It was especially apparent during the crossover and Felicity was in scenes with Caitlin. It's hard to hide legs in those skirts.

post #1470 of 1655 Old 02-14-2015, 02:03 PM
AVS Special Member

You can kind of see she fills out a pair of slacks. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page