post #1501 of 1513 Old 02-26-2015, 09:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 713 Post(s)
Liked: 542
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keenan View Post
A somewhat humorous and in many ways accurate take on superhero girlfriends.
My only beef with the article is that none of the current Marvel shows have superheroes in them, so none of them have superheroes' girlfriends, either. As such, it's not possible to contrast how Marvel handles them versus how DC does it.

Thea doesn't hanlde guilt very well, does she?
Keenan likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1502 of 1513 Old 02-27-2015, 08:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 60
The writing this season is really being stretched thin on me. I haven't been happy since the gloss over of Ollie's resurrection. I feel the flashbacks this season are a big disappointment after the big shock of him being in Hong Kong at the season finale last year. In fact, this week it was just a huge distraction and didn't really even tie in to current events. Some of the plotting strains credulity. From Thea's sudden anger and hate for Merlyn, arguably a week too early (meaning before she learned she was hypnotized to kill Sara) to Ollie's reason for going to rescue Merlyn. I feel like the writers were sitting down trying to figure out how to get Ollie to Ra's. He wants to save Thea's conscious? Yeaaaaaaah, no. And then, I'm sorry, but if I look at this from a unified DC perspective, no way Ra's--a known nemesis of Batman, who I consider as being in this fictional universe even though he can never be mentioned due to real life legal limitations--is choosing Oliver Queen over Bruce Wayne as his successor. And shall we talk about Ray's post-sex inspiration? Is that what it takes? Sigh....
post #1503 of 1513 Old 02-27-2015, 10:27 AM

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpeacock22 View Post
The writing this season is really being stretched thin on me. I haven't been happy since the gloss over of Ollie's resurrection. I feel the flashbacks this season are a big disappointment after the big shock of him being in Hong Kong at the season finale last year.
Exactly, this season has been a jumbled mess of storyline and most of the cast are either annoying/unlikeable at this point. .
post #1504 of 1513 Old 02-27-2015, 10:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 654 Post(s)
Liked: 828
Once again they missed a chance to make some sense out of Ollie's miraculous survival after being run through by Ra's weapon and kicked off a cliff during their last meeting. Ra's could have explained that he allowed Ollie a tiny chance of survival with the exact placement of his sword (as only he could do) as a test to see if Queen was truly worthy of being his successor. I mean, Ollie's not supposed to be Wolverine for petesake. Is he?

I need to be a dramatourg for these shows.
post #1505 of 1513 Old 02-27-2015, 11:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Not only that, Archiguy, they teased Ra's sitting in a freaking Lazarus Pit. It wasn't outright stated, but come on! He's sitting in a huge tub of dark liquid when Nissa comes in at the beginning of the episode! So the writers are very aware of their existence. If this next week, there is not some explanation, then I give up hope of ever getting one.
post #1506 of 1513 Old 02-27-2015, 01:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 713 Post(s)
Liked: 542
That wasn't the Lazarus Pit. It was the Lazarus Spa. He goes there to relax and drink the same magic totally ordinary tea that saved had only typical antibiotic effects on Oliver.
post #1507 of 1513 Old 02-27-2015, 02:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post
I need to be a dramatourg for these shows.
Yes, please.
post #1508 of 1513 Old Yesterday, 10:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked: 130
I think a decision was made somewhere along the line last season that Arrow as a show will remain firmly grounded in "our" reality. Except for being forced to acknowledge the Flash's superpowers, they have pulled back on anything that might be construed as fantastic or happening outside the known laws of our universe. Notice how they immediately depowered Roy last season after they pulled the drug from his system.

It's a perfectly acceptable storytelling decision but has pushed Arrow's fictional universe to its limits in season three. They keep pulling stories from the comics but many of them don't work unless you incorporate their fantasy view of the world.
post #1509 of 1513 Old Today, 08:00 AM

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom Stranger View Post
It's a perfectly acceptable storytelling decision but has pushed Arrow's fictional universe to its limits in season three. They keep pulling stories from the comics but many of them don't work unless you incorporate their fantasy view of the world.
Exactly, on one hand you have them trying to be darker and more realistic and then on the other, you have plot elements like Lazarus pits, Mirakuru, etc.
post #1510 of 1513 Old Today, 12:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Quote:
I think a decision was made somewhere along the line last season that Arrow as a show will remain firmly grounded in "our" reality. Except for being forced to acknowledge the Flash's superpowers, they have pulled back on anything that might be construed as fantastic or happening outside the known laws of our universe. Notice how they immediately depowered Roy last season after they pulled the drug from his system.

Atom's "Iron Man" suit isn't exactly possible in our reality either. I think you're overthinking this. They may or may not do the Lazarus Pit. It isn't because they want to be "realistic" though.

Also... acknowledging Flash exists automatically includes everything on his show... so Firestorm and all the super-bad-guys as well... they exist in that universe. They even talked about having a Supergirl crossover possibly... so, they might tone down things a bit for Ollie only because he has no powers himself, so putting him up against super-baddies makes him overmatched... but it isn't because of trying to be realistic.

Friday... the 13th!
Where I am when I'm not here!
post #1511 of 1513 Old Today, 07:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Last season we had super soldiers running around and they've basically stripped out superpowers in season three. We'll have to see how they use the Atom's suit, which looks far more like Iron Man than the shrinking power found in DC comics.
post #1512 of 1513 Old Today, 08:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 654 Post(s)
Liked: 828
Quote:
Last season we had super soldiers running around and they've basically stripped out superpowers in season three. We'll have to see how they use the Atom's suit, which looks far more like Iron Man than the shrinking power found in DC comics.
Yeah, what's up with The Atom? I read that comic when I was a young'un and I never remember him being able to fly around like that, wearing a suit like that. He just.... shrank. And did his superhero stuff at a very small size. But practically every superhero I followed back then has been re-invented and re-imagined by now. They really need to get off my lawn.
post #1513 of 1513 Old Today, 09:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked: 1426
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post
Yeah, what's up with The Atom? I read that comic when I was a young'un and I never remember him being able to fly around like that, wearing a suit like that. He just.... shrank. And did his superhero stuff at a very small size. But practically every superhero I followed back then has been re-invented and re-imagined by now. They really need to get off my lawn.
Spoiler!

Take life with a grain of salt... a slice of lime, and a shot of tequila
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming