"Arrow" on The CW HD - Page 51 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 180Likes

post #1501 of 1749 Old 02-26-2015, 08:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 895 Post(s)
Liked: 688
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keenan View Post
A somewhat humorous and in many ways accurate take on superhero girlfriends.
My only beef with the article is that none of the current Marvel shows have superheroes in them, so none of them have superheroes' girlfriends, either. As such, it's not possible to contrast how Marvel handles them versus how DC does it.

Thea doesn't hanlde guilt very well, does she?
Keenan likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1502 of 1749 Old 02-27-2015, 07:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 87
The writing this season is really being stretched thin on me. I haven't been happy since the gloss over of Ollie's resurrection. I feel the flashbacks this season are a big disappointment after the big shock of him being in Hong Kong at the season finale last year. In fact, this week it was just a huge distraction and didn't really even tie in to current events. Some of the plotting strains credulity. From Thea's sudden anger and hate for Merlyn, arguably a week too early (meaning before she learned she was hypnotized to kill Sara) to Ollie's reason for going to rescue Merlyn. I feel like the writers were sitting down trying to figure out how to get Ollie to Ra's. He wants to save Thea's conscious? Yeaaaaaaah, no. And then, I'm sorry, but if I look at this from a unified DC perspective, no way Ra's--a known nemesis of Batman, who I consider as being in this fictional universe even though he can never be mentioned due to real life legal limitations--is choosing Oliver Queen over Bruce Wayne as his successor. And shall we talk about Ray's post-sex inspiration? Is that what it takes? Sigh....
post #1503 of 1749 Old 02-27-2015, 09:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpeacock22 View Post
The writing this season is really being stretched thin on me. I haven't been happy since the gloss over of Ollie's resurrection. I feel the flashbacks this season are a big disappointment after the big shock of him being in Hong Kong at the season finale last year.
Exactly, this season has been a jumbled mess of storyline and most of the cast are either annoying/unlikeable at this point. .
post #1504 of 1749 Old 02-27-2015, 09:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 931 Post(s)
Liked: 945
Once again they missed a chance to make some sense out of Ollie's miraculous survival after being run through by Ra's weapon and kicked off a cliff during their last meeting. Ra's could have explained that he allowed Ollie a tiny chance of survival with the exact placement of his sword (as only he could do) as a test to see if Queen was truly worthy of being his successor. I mean, Ollie's not supposed to be Wolverine for petesake. Is he?

I need to be a dramatourg for these shows.
post #1505 of 1749 Old 02-27-2015, 10:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Not only that, Archiguy, they teased Ra's sitting in a freaking Lazarus Pit. It wasn't outright stated, but come on! He's sitting in a huge tub of dark liquid when Nissa comes in at the beginning of the episode! So the writers are very aware of their existence. If this next week, there is not some explanation, then I give up hope of ever getting one.
post #1506 of 1749 Old 02-27-2015, 12:01 PM
AVS Special Member

That wasn't the Lazarus Pit. It was the Lazarus Spa. He goes there to relax and drink the same magic totally ordinary tea that saved had only typical antibiotic effects on Oliver.
post #1507 of 1749 Old 02-27-2015, 01:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post
I need to be a dramatourg for these shows.
Yes, please.
post #1508 of 1749 Old 02-28-2015, 09:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 158
I think a decision was made somewhere along the line last season that Arrow as a show will remain firmly grounded in "our" reality. Except for being forced to acknowledge the Flash's superpowers, they have pulled back on anything that might be construed as fantastic or happening outside the known laws of our universe. Notice how they immediately depowered Roy last season after they pulled the drug from his system.

It's a perfectly acceptable storytelling decision but has pushed Arrow's fictional universe to its limits in season three. They keep pulling stories from the comics but many of them don't work unless you incorporate their fantasy view of the world.
post #1509 of 1749 Old 03-01-2015, 07:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom Stranger View Post
It's a perfectly acceptable storytelling decision but has pushed Arrow's fictional universe to its limits in season three. They keep pulling stories from the comics but many of them don't work unless you incorporate their fantasy view of the world.
Exactly, on one hand you have them trying to be darker and more realistic and then on the other, you have plot elements like Lazarus pits, Mirakuru, etc.
post #1510 of 1749 Old 03-01-2015, 11:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked: 245
Quote:
I think a decision was made somewhere along the line last season that Arrow as a show will remain firmly grounded in "our" reality. Except for being forced to acknowledge the Flash's superpowers, they have pulled back on anything that might be construed as fantastic or happening outside the known laws of our universe. Notice how they immediately depowered Roy last season after they pulled the drug from his system.

Atom's "Iron Man" suit isn't exactly possible in our reality either. I think you're overthinking this. They may or may not do the Lazarus Pit. It isn't because they want to be "realistic" though.

Also... acknowledging Flash exists automatically includes everything on his show... so Firestorm and all the super-bad-guys as well... they exist in that universe. They even talked about having a Supergirl crossover possibly... so, they might tone down things a bit for Ollie only because he has no powers himself, so putting him up against super-baddies makes him overmatched... but it isn't because of trying to be realistic.

Me do not have signature.
Where I am when I'm not here!
post #1511 of 1749 Old 03-01-2015, 06:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 158
Last season we had super soldiers running around and they've basically stripped out superpowers in season three. We'll have to see how they use the Atom's suit, which looks far more like Iron Man than the shrinking power found in DC comics.
post #1512 of 1749 Old 03-01-2015, 07:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 931 Post(s)
Liked: 945
Quote:
Last season we had super soldiers running around and they've basically stripped out superpowers in season three. We'll have to see how they use the Atom's suit, which looks far more like Iron Man than the shrinking power found in DC comics.
Yeah, what's up with The Atom? I read that comic when I was a young'un and I never remember him being able to fly around like that, wearing a suit like that. He just.... shrank. And did his superhero stuff at a very small size. But practically every superhero I followed back then has been re-invented and re-imagined by now. They really need to get off my lawn.
mike1812 likes this.
post #1513 of 1749 Old 03-01-2015, 08:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1375 Post(s)
Liked: 2348
Quote:
Yeah, what's up with The Atom? I read that comic when I was a young'un and I never remember him being able to fly around like that, wearing a suit like that. He just.... shrank. And did his superhero stuff at a very small size. But practically every superhero I followed back then has been re-invented and re-imagined by now. They really need to get off my lawn.
Spoiler!
mike1812 likes this.

Take life with a grain of salt... a slice of lime, and a shot of tequila
post #1514 of 1749 Old 03-07-2015, 09:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 727
I was happy to see ATOM up and around because the rest of the show is all over the place. The previous week I thought was terrible and this last episode was only redeemed by Nyssa and Ra's and his offer to Queen.

But again they missed an opportunity. The Lazarus Pit as mentioned looked like a spa tub. C'mon at least give it some swirly water CGI glowing.

The League look like idiots too. They are supposed to be highly trained assassins, but charge headfirst into bullets and cannot detect two non-assassin dudes walking up behind them.

post #1515 of 1749 Old 03-08-2015, 01:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Yeah, what's up with The Atom? I read that comic when I was a young'un and I never remember him being able to fly around like that, wearing a suit like that. He just.... shrank. And did his superhero stuff at a very small size.
I also seem to recall that he travelled via telephone wires to get from one place to another. Guess cell phones deep-sixed that mode of transportation.
post #1516 of 1749 Old 03-19-2015, 12:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1375 Post(s)
Liked: 2348
I just couldn't get into the episode tonight. All the emo moping around sucked the life right out of the show. Ra's al Ghul makes a more interesting Arrow than Ollie. The fight at the precinct reminded me of the old Adam West Batman show. I kept waiting for "POW" and "BAM" to pop on the screen.
Machuran likes this.

Take life with a grain of salt... a slice of lime, and a shot of tequila
post #1517 of 1749 Old 03-19-2015, 01:06 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 909 Post(s)
Liked: 668
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post
I just couldn't get into the episode tonight. All the emo moping around sucked the life right out of the show. Ra's al Ghul makes a more interesting Arrow than Ollie. The fight at the precinct reminded me of the old Adam West Batman show. I kept waiting for "POW" and "BAM" to pop on the screen.
Seriously, there really was, I kept thinking about how much cheese they must have had on the set to go with all the whine-ing going on.
Machuran likes this.
post #1518 of 1749 Old 03-19-2015, 06:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

In contrast I actually liked the fact there were more talking and character moments (especially with Ra's) this week because it meant there was less room for dumb like Fall Down Boy falling off the beam. The idea of Queen becoming Ra's was worthy of actual consideration. If they had blown it off in a few minutes it would have made the offer seem trivial. It also reminded me that Nyssa was Heir to the Demon. I completely forgot about that.

Archi almost got his wish too. Getting stabbed and kicked off a cliff and improbably surviving wasn't Ra's going easy on Ollie, but it was a test of his worthiness.

Even with all the talking there was still time for comedy! Ra's as Fat Arrow was excellent. Even with all his power beyond imagining Ra's still has the time and energy to go all the way to Starling to pretend to be Arrow. Even though he could get any old minion to kill some dudes and be an evil vigilante.

Highlight of the episode was easily the ending though. Queen apparently shot an arrow to the moon and ziplined into space!

post #1519 of 1749 Old 03-19-2015, 08:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked: 151
Thea surely loves to show off her belly button.
DuaneAA and psgcdn like this.

Prof. Dr. Turrican M.D.
post #1520 of 1749 Old 03-19-2015, 08:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Shouldn't there be fifty posts by now celebrating the fact that the show finally acknowledged the existence of magic water? I am disappoint.
post #1521 of 1749 Old 03-19-2015, 09:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turrican4D View Post
Thea surely loves to show off her belly button.
I enjoy seeing her character finally live up to her potential. Malcolm taught her well.
DuaneAA and Turrican4D like this.

post #1522 of 1749 Old 03-19-2015, 09:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post
I just couldn't get into the episode tonight. All the emo moping around sucked the life right out of the show. Ra's al Ghul makes a more interesting Arrow than Ollie.
I know, the series is laying the angst thicker than usual and it's really annoying to watch.
post #1523 of 1749 Old 03-20-2015, 08:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Well, I guess magic tea it is. R'as clearly said the waters didn't heal him, his will to live did. #disappoint

As a fan, I'd like to have a line thrown in, even as a throwaway, from R'as, to at least acknowledge his connection to Batman. I realize they can't mention Batman in any way, but when he's talking to Ollie about successors, what about even something like:

"There was another I thought was worthy but he did not share my vision of the future. I know you do, though."

I don't know why but I was overly terrified at the end that someone was going to be at Roy's door and kill him. I guess after what happened on Flash this week I was a little antsy. I really like Roy and if they are going to keep him off to the side, I'd rather they move him over to the new spinoff show that is being rumored.

There are some REALLY stretched thin plot lines this season. The flashbacks are pointless. Enjoy the show and am loyal to it. But I'm ready to move on from this arc.
post #1524 of 1749 Old 03-20-2015, 09:08 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Starting to get a little sick of seeing Laurel get her ass licked every week. She is so lame fighting with the rest of the group. Really miss Sarah. She was a little firecracker. Hopefully, it was just the director holding Laurel back so she could be trained by Ra's al Ghul's daughter.

Overall, a little disappointed in this arc. Hope the show hasn't jumped the shark.
Machuran likes this.
post #1525 of 1749 Old 03-20-2015, 12:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
The flashbacks are pointless.
I agree here. They used to be arguably better than the storyline in the present, but now Oliver is just babysitting. They should retire the flashbacks next season if this is all they can think of to do with them.

As far as the whole Laurel thing goes, I think it's kind of amusing that Oliver scolded her for sucking yet didn't congratulate Roy for falling out of the rafters. She's not the only one who still needs training.
post #1526 of 1749 Old 03-20-2015, 12:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
As far as the whole Laurel thing goes, I think it's kind of amusing that Oliver scolded her for sucking yet didn't congratulate Roy for falling out of the rafters. She's not the only one who still needs training.
Yeah I don't see why Laurel gets all the snide remarks. She was taught by the boxing dude for a few weeks. Roy was taught by Oliver continuously yet he still lives up to his title of Fall Down Boy each week. He may not be getting punched to the floor by every villain as he used to but one way or another he still falls over.

Almost as bad as Ra's legendary men. His training regimen sucks or he keeps sending all the newbies to fight Oliver apparently.

post #1527 of 1749 Old 03-20-2015, 12:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 104
I agree,this show is all over the map now. Nissa being Sarah's lover is a joke. Laurel trying to be Black Canary is a joke! So Oliver is stuck on an island,then ends up in Hong Kong and Wahler is involved in using him...Joke! Thea being trained as an assassin by Merlin... LMAO! She's 90 lbs! The show is getting bad. The writing is bad. I used to love it,but what's going on here. Why Ray Palmer as the Atom? And I agree with someone else,Ra's is Batman's nemesis,not Green Arrow's. I don't know why they have to twist stuff so much. Why is Roy Arsenal and Thea speedy? If Roy has a falling out with Oliver and goes his own way and Oliver takes on Thea as his side kick,I'm instantly done..
Machuran likes this.
post #1528 of 1749 Old 03-20-2015, 01:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked: 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by dealer6871 View Post
Starting to get a little sick of seeing Laurel get her ass licked every week.

What show are you watching???
mike1812 and Turrican4D like this.
post #1529 of 1749 Old 03-20-2015, 01:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Well, I guess magic tea it is. R'as clearly said the waters didn't heal him, his will to live did. #disappoint
Maybe the tea was made with Lazarus water...let's hope nobody bathed in it first. Ew.

Dazed and confused over high tech.

Sigh...Concrap. The Internet Overlord Cometh
They're not com-tastic!
post #1530 of 1749 Old 03-20-2015, 01:32 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Pick one. Even Oliver said in Wednesday's episode that she needed more training.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooked01 View Post
What show are you watching???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming