"Arrow" on The CW HD - Page 56 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 151Likes
post #1651 of 1668 Old 04-23-2015, 08:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 689
I'm sure the Olicity fangirls exploded in a chorus of "squeeeeeeee" during this episode but it just got a big fat raspberry from me. The word "Moonlighting" also flashed before my eyes too.

All the Felicity woe went on far too long. Long enough for this to become the worst episode of the season for me. And she made Ray sad too. Boooo!

Thea coming back instantly and then regaining her memories was anticlimactic. If anything the dramatic focus should have been on ressurrecting her, not the on/off/on/off romance stuff.

I think the only highpoints for me were the stuntman food cart vendor kicking ass, the speech to Diggle and the last couple of minutes of Ollie dressed in a shadow suit. Unfortunately for him that probably means he has lost all his skill now, because even Felicity can take out a League uniformed flunky with a stick. The rest just walk into the path of deadly weapons.

Also worth noting a fine example of TV bullets. On TV superhero shows bullets cannot penetrate anything. Except bulletproof vests. They bounce off glass, cars, barrels ... but go right through any body armor worn by a bad guy.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1652 of 1668 Old 04-24-2015, 06:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Yeaaaaaaaah, that moment where four guys with semi automatics were firing from a truck at a car 5 ft behind them and didn't hit Ollie who was climbing over.... Just gotta shrug those off as comic action.
post #1653 of 1668 Old 04-24-2015, 06:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked: 208
I keep trying to get into this show, keeping in mind that it is about superheroes, but the plots and the overall tone just bores me. In this past episode, the heroes go into the lair of the villain to save Thea. Not to mention the fact that the villain is that one that mortally wounded her. Major drama and suspense, right? No, it's all just hushed tones, false bravado, a few stormtrooper fight scenes, and a cheesy hallmark moment.

I keep hoping it gets better.
post #1654 of 1668 Old 04-24-2015, 06:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked: 123
I wonder if I saw an Arrow episode, or some soap on the Oxygen channel.
Machuran likes this.

sent via Morse code...........

The Hun
post #1655 of 1668 Old 04-25-2015, 08:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked: 122
I spent half the episode playing a handheld video game -- never a good sign as usually I give shows I'm into my full undivided attention. Heck, I was more into watching my recording of iZombie that same night.
Machuran likes this.
post #1656 of 1668 Old 04-30-2015, 01:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Better than last week. But that wouldn't be hard. Maybe that was just because of all the fight scenes and the fact the beginning was almost Batman Begins verbatim. Katie Cassidy's stunt double is about as convincing as Gellar's on Buffy though!

I can't decide if the wedding was a hilariously bad idea or a plausible story point. At least Batman didn't marry Nyssa in Batman Begins, which unlike the League destroying Starling was something that felt very, very familiar. At least the Hong Kong flashbacks eventually served a point.

Is Shrieve supposed to be Ra's old friend? I honestly wasn't paying much attention to figure out if those dots are meant to be connected to the present.

In TV bullet observations it was nice to see some CGI holes on cars this week. Handgun bullets do more damage to cars than rifle bullets obviously.

The League guys really need to spend some of their budget buying at least a few bulletproof vests just for meetings though. That body armor they have is useless against Diggle and his wife.

post #1657 of 1668 Old 04-30-2015, 09:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked: 653
Now that Akio is dead, please tell me that the flashback crutch is dead, too. I've come to dread the scene fades in this show that herald further romps back into boring and almost totally irrelevant past events.
post #1658 of 1668 Old Yesterday, 07:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
Now that Akio is dead, please tell me that the flashback crutch is dead, too. I've come to dread the scene fades in this show that herald further romps back into boring and almost totally irrelevant past events.
I wish, it's been long since it was relevant, nowadays it's just time filler that adds nothing to the main story or characters anymore.
post #1659 of 1668 Old Yesterday, 07:56 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 8
The flash backs used to be good at filling in some backstory, but this season, they have just dragged on. The point of this seasons flash back could have been explained in much more concisely, as could most of this season. It has had a few good moments, but the story seems to be dragging on this season. They have almost lost me as a viewer. Hope they wrap things up well, or this could be my last season with this show.
Machuran likes this.
post #1660 of 1668 Old Yesterday, 09:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked: 157
I think they originally wanted this season's Hong Kong flashbacks as heavy on gun action since Arrow isn't killing people like he used to in the present day. Did anyone care what happened to that kid by the end? I really thought Oliver was going to learn sword skills or something during his time in Hong Kong. Instead he was stuck inside a dingy apartment most of the season and the US government was forcing him to stop some super bio-weapon.
post #1661 of 1668 Old Yesterday, 09:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 896 Post(s)
Liked: 933
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom Stranger View Post
I think they originally wanted this season's Hong Kong flashbacks as heavy on gun action since Arrow isn't killing people like he used to in the present day. Did anyone care what happened to that kid by the end? I really thought Oliver was going to learn sword skills or something during his time in Hong Kong. Instead he was stuck inside a dingy apartment most of the season and the US government was forcing him to stop some super bio-weapon.
Wasn't it the government that actually was infecting people? All those soldiers that Ollie and Maseo dispatched, blew up their truck with the virus, etc.? To be honest, I'm not sure what the heck is going on with the flashbacks anymore.
post #1662 of 1668 Old Yesterday, 11:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked: 224
The flashbacks still add to the plot and give backstory... now you might not like the story, but they are hardly useless. I can see if you don't like the story being told... but they are telling a story.

Me do not have signature.
Where I am when I'm not here!
post #1663 of 1668 Old Yesterday, 11:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMe2 View Post
The flashbacks still add to the plot and give backstory... now you might not like the story, but they are hardly useless. I can see if you don't like the story being told... but they are telling a story.
As long as they show more of Shadoe's twin sister, I'm OK with the flashbacks.

It would be interesting to go back and watch Oliver's first encounters with Amanda Waller after he returned to Starling City and became the Arrow. Since we now know there's so much history between them, I wonder if the writer's had anticipated that and showed any indication of something between them under the surface during those interactions.
post #1664 of 1668 Old Yesterday, 12:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallfly View Post
The flash backs used to be good at filling in some backstory, but this season, they have just dragged on. The point of this seasons flash back could have been explained in much more concisely, as could most of this season. It has had a few good moments, but the story seems to be dragging on this season. They have almost lost me as a viewer. Hope they wrap things up well, or this could be my last season with this show.
Exactly, once we already had the set up for Oliver becoming the Arrow/setting up characters like Deathstroke and Sara out of the way, it became redundant, it doesn't add anything important anymore and we can already figure out the rest since we've already know what pretty much happens in present day.
post #1665 of 1668 Old Yesterday, 12:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post
Wasn't it the government that actually was infecting people? All those soldiers that Ollie and Maseo dispatched, blew up their truck with the virus, etc.? To be honest, I'm not sure what the heck is going on with the flashbacks anymore.
Government or the other League run by Ra's old friend in army uniforms?

post #1666 of 1668 Old Yesterday, 12:36 PM
AVS Special Member

By the way, the flashback in this week's episode wasn't totally irrelevant. It was necessary to show the conclusion of the backstory of the Alpha-Omega weapon that was in Nyssa's sword and which Oliver now needs to use against Starling City. I guess now we'll get the backstory as to how Nyssa got a hold of it.
post #1667 of 1668 Old Today, 01:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zookster View Post
As long as they show more of Shadoe's twin sister, I'm OK with the flashbacks.

It would be interesting to go back and watch Oliver's first encounters with Amanda Waller after he returned to Starling City and became the Arrow. Since we now know there's so much history between them, I wonder if the writer's had anticipated that and showed any indication of something between them under the surface during those interactions.
Now that you mention it, I remember a scene when Arrow infiltrated some base and ran into her. She asked him if he was there to kill her, but he was there about something else...might've needed some info from ARGUS. They made it very clear that she was afraid he was there for revenge--after that, I believe the Hong Kong flashbacks started. I just assumed she was going to be the one to take him back to the island and leave him there to die or something.

thread closed
post #1668 of 1668 Unread Today, 10:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I still remember the old Green Arrow from the joint Lantern days on back. Except for the Speedy drug problem issues he was a fun character, always cracking jokes an laughing.

They should make an offer to take over the 'Grimm' show name.

There he goes again... Good Ol' R. Reagan's favorite Troll line !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page