"Arrow" on The CW HD - Page 73 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 329Likes

post #2161 of 2181 Old 05-26-2016, 11:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 567 Post(s)
Liked: 404
As much as it pains me to say this, Arrow, my least favorite superhero show all season, put out the best finale of the superhero shows I stuck around that long for this season...and that isn't saying much of course. The Gotham finale was disappointing after an otherwise stellar season (maybe my expectations were too high). Flash and Supergirl were about as stupid as conceivably possible. And I never made it past the Arrow alternate timeline episode of Legends of Tomorrow.

In the Arrow finale, we didn't have Laurel to annoy us; Felicity's annoyances were manageable; there was minimal Malcolm/Thea drama; Curtis wasn't his goofball self; and Diggle finally admitted to Lyla how he killed his brother. Yes, sending 15K nuclear missiles into the upper atmosphere probably isn't a good idea in the long run; and the magic hope solution was a Supergirl rip-off, but at least there was still a fight scene involved.

By the way, whatever happened to Machin? He singlehandedly takes down Darhk's dome and then disappears?

I did appreciate the fact that there was no cliffhanger ending to season 4, so I feel absolutely no need to watch this now terrible show ever again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2162 of 2181 Old 05-26-2016, 11:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 400 Post(s)
Liked: 252
Seems with the CW DC writers...........the bigger more serious the threat the more lame the solution in the respective season finale is.
post #2163 of 2181 Old 05-26-2016, 12:00 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 86
"Arrow" on The CW HD

This finale was just a mess. It felt like to me they did all this build up only to realize they had two episodes to conclude the story arc then threw a bunch of crud against the wall to see if it could stick.

I thought the Flash finale was a bit of a mess but still entertaining. Honestly I have low expectations for DC Legends so I was OK with that one as well.

This? I thought it was just bad. I expect more from this show and it just felt like a mess. I agree with some others. It's time for a reset. Maybe the events in Flash will give them an easy way to do that. Not sure.

The main problem I see is Arrow is going to get less grounded now with all the crossovers and the mix of Supergirl. Maybe it's time my expectations change.

Last edited by DarenG; 05-26-2016 at 12:04 PM.
post #2164 of 2181 Old 05-26-2016, 12:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 104
I had the exact opposite feeling from many of you. While I thought the Arrow finale was weak, it didn't run me off like the Flash finale did. I just sat there trying to figure out whether I've ever seen a more stupid human being than Barry Allen. Yes, there were problems with Arrow (early on the hope and love approach harkened back to the Supergirl finale, among other things), but it wasn't nearly as bad as The Flash. And Legends actually had the best finale of all of them. I'll probably stick around for Arrow next year, but Flash is on the fence for me - so many closed storylines that it'd be easy to drop it and not miss anything. Both Flash and Supergirl will depend on how many total tv hours I have stacked up in the fall and whether I can fit them into the viewing schedule.
post #2165 of 2181 Old 05-26-2016, 01:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1812 View Post
I had the exact opposite feeling from many of you. While I thought the Arrow finale was weak, it didn't run me off like the Flash finale did. I just sat there trying to figure out whether I've ever seen a more stupid human being than Barry Allen. Yes, there were problems with Arrow (early on the hope and love approach harkened back to the Supergirl finale, among other things), but it wasn't nearly as bad as The Flash. And Legends actually had the best finale of all of them. I'll probably stick around for Arrow next year, but Flash is on the fence for me - so many closed storylines that it'd be easy to drop it and not miss anything. Both Flash and Supergirl will depend on how many total tv hours I have stacked up in the fall and whether I can fit them into the viewing schedule.
I think for me The Flash was so silly that I am now more interested in seeing just how badly the writers deal with the mess time Paradox they have created.......both on the show itself and the other DC shows. By comparison there was nothing interesting, fun or even fun silly about Arrow.....just dull and boring with a weak enemy and badly portrayed threat.....the entire season was that way. Now he is the mayor........so we can add typical BS tv political drama to the soapy and annoying Olicity drama stuff. Not exactly much to look forward to in my book.
post #2166 of 2181 Old 05-26-2016, 03:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 888 Post(s)
Liked: 764
Or the shifting rules about killing people. Malcolm killed Sara but he gets a pass. He helped DD kill a ton of people.

Oliver spares DD and then he kills Laurel (I'm still not positive about that) and tens of thousands. The car top speech was really not very inspiring to me nor was the banter when there was only minutes left.

I'm glad that Oliver doesn't think he should notify The Flash that the entire world might be nuked.

DD's plan was just stupid and pointless. DD and Zoom ought to get together for counseling. Oops. They are both dead (assuming Zoom is dead).

Well, I won't have to worry about this anymore. Great program for 2 years and then the long slide to where we are. I'm out.

"Nowadays, you can just click a button and buy a book, meet your spouse or ruin someone's life. Sometimes those last two are the same thing." John Oliver.
post #2167 of 2181 Old 05-27-2016, 05:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daryl zero View Post
Or the shifting rules about killing people. Malcolm killed Sara but he gets a pass. He helped DD kill a ton of people.
The fact that Malcolm is still alive is one of the lamest part of this series.

I guess, boning the Green Arrow's mom buys you a lot of passes.
post #2168 of 2181 Old 05-27-2016, 12:48 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1824 Post(s)
Liked: 2178
On the upside, Team Arrow and Damian Dark managed together to destroy 15000 nuclear missiles. That's a BIG win for the Earth and the future of mankind.

And that is about the only positive thing I can say about that series finale. LOL

Your questions are answered: Speaker FAQ
Living room HT: Energy RC-50, Ascend Sierra Horizon w/RAAL, Ascend CBM-170 SE, PSB Imagine XA | PSA V1500 and CHT SS 18.1 | Denon X4200W | modified Dayton SA1000
Other rooms: Sierra 1 | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | Parasound Zamp | JBL LSR305
Headphone & Portable AKG K7XX | NAD HP50 | AKG K550 | Soundmagic E50 & E80 | DX50 | E12 | X1
post #2169 of 2181 Old 05-27-2016, 01:41 PM

Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked: 39
That Ollie speech was the most laughable thing I've ever witnessed. When the citizens were turning to each other, nodding their heads in approval...

Competes with Once Upon a Time's "hope" speech in the city. What's sad is that Arrow (S1) was one of my favourite shows. Now it's one of the worst.
Turrican4D likes this.
post #2170 of 2181 Old 05-27-2016, 06:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 579 Post(s)
Liked: 432
I have to finally say this... So... am I wrong in remembering that Oliver didn't know what Damien Darkh's source of power was until Vixen came to town and clued him in that Darkh's power was in some kind of totem? ONLY to find out via all these island flashbacks that it was the VERY SAME token Oliver had in his hands 6 years ago and let Argus take it... and apparently I guess Darkh gets it from them somehow before showing up... But why didn't Oliver recognize Darkh's power immediately as having the same aspect as what he faced on the island? IF he isn't learning anything he's as bad as Barry Allen!

Okay, so then... I'm not even sure what happened there... Seriously. I'm drawing a blank as to what happened and I watched the show the same night it aired. I literally have already forgotten almost everything that happened. That's not a good sign. At least Flash held enough of my attention to complain about the stuff that didn't make sense... and Legends impressed me by righting the ship for the most part... but Arrow, I can't remember what I just watched.

edit: OH... almost forgot... the island flashbacks should only have one more year... next year... that end with his being found/rescued. What I SINCERELY hope is that in season 6 they actually show us flashbacks to stuff he did in season 1 of the show!

The Doctor... the Original, you might say!
Where I am when I'm not here!
post #2171 of 2181 Old 05-27-2016, 08:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1501 Post(s)
Liked: 1211
As bad as the finale was, at least it gave us exactly what we should have been expecting. One person's hope is enough to stop Damien's magic when he's only killed a dozen people, so a thousand people's hope is enough to stop Damien's magic when he's killed thousands of people. I am thoroughly unimpressed but not surprised, either.
post #2172 of 2181 Old 05-27-2016, 08:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephan Mire View Post
Competes with Once Upon a Time's "hope" speech in the city. What's sad is that Arrow (S1) was one of my favourite shows. Now it's one of the worst.
I am still watching season 1 and only season 1. I like it because:

There was only one hero/vigilante. I hate superhero teams, which this show has become. Superhero powers should be something rare and special bestowed only on the chosen one, not
a bunch of idiots who can wear some ridiculous costumes.

The Arrow had to a secret to keep. It is always fun to watch him lie to everyone about where he went, what he did, etc.

The Arrow was a killer.

I wish superhero shows are more like Dexter.

Last edited by Davidt1; 05-27-2016 at 08:43 PM.
post #2173 of 2181 Old 05-27-2016, 08:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked: 457
Not much more to be said, it's very unlikely I'll watch next season..............

De sagittis Hungarorum libera nos, Domine!

The Hun
post #2174 of 2181 Old 05-28-2016, 02:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 838 Post(s)
Liked: 216
I'm with you guys. My GF watches all the shows I do. I told her a while back Arrow has just gotten too cheesy and I can't take it anymore.. The Finale' is icing on the cake. The hope solution in Supergirl was so ridiculous!

Don't even get me going on Thea becoming speedy. Any one of us could b*tch slap her into oblivion! And then there is the league of Shadows.. LMAO! Who wasn't trained by them? Isn't that supposed to be Batman's origins? WTF! I'll watch the 1st episode next season and if it doesn't pick up, I'm definitely out! And for the love of god.. Stop with the flashbacks already!

I agree with the Flash also. So let me get this straight, Barry's dad from Earth 3 is Jay Garrick.. LMAO! You know they did that just to get Wesley Shipp back into the Flash costume. How do you film that and no body says, Umm this is a train wreck, we might want to rewrite this. Who writes a script that has Hope as a means to defeat 2 different evils. (Supergirl/Arrow)...

Last edited by DrDon; 05-29-2016 at 07:03 AM. Reason: Political comments removed
post #2175 of 2181 Old 05-28-2016, 03:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 838 Post(s)
Liked: 216
I have an idea. Replace Arrow with a Green Lantern show. Start it with Green Lantern learning about how his powers work while trying to fight bad guys. They should absolutely have a story arc with Sinestro. Plus, you could intertwine Supergirl, Flash with Green Lantern. It makes no sense with Arrow. John Diggle could be Green Lantern, but you find out his real name was John Stewart. I actually thought the Green Lantern movie was decent, but the script was weak and so was the 2 villains.. Why are they waiting so long to do another one. Just get a good script going. Continue with Sinestro becoming the bad guy, and your golden..
post #2176 of 2181 Old 05-28-2016, 10:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 701 Post(s)
Liked: 401
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowTech1 View Post
Don't even get me going on Thea becoming speedy.
Yeah! I did like her old clothing style a hell lot more!

Prof. Dr. Turrican M.D.
post #2177 of 2181 Old 05-29-2016, 07:05 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked: 1148
Political and off-topic comments removed.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
post #2178 of 2181 Old 05-29-2016, 01:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 767 Post(s)
Liked: 780
At this point The Tick was more believable and entertaining than Arrow or The Flash.
mike1812 and cel4145 like this.
post #2179 of 2181 Old 06-02-2016, 04:07 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1467
It took me this long to watch the finale because I didn't care enough about what happened the previous week to remember it was still on.

Arrow was the worst DC finale out of all of them. It was more boring than Flash and less fun than Legends. Even though it wasn't the most stupid it was just lame.

They took the cheesy Hope and Speech Force solution from Supergirl and made it more nonsensical by using it to fight against supermagic, but tried to sell it without one ounce of the charisma or enthusiasm of Melissa Benoist.

Had a large scale fight that involved all Hives soldiers leaving their weapons and rushing in to punch people, for some reason. Why anyone would care when they could just stand around and watch the world burn is anyone's guess. They only had an hour or so left, they could have been doing something more fun.

Nukes that travel so slowly you can get your coat, travel by elevator to the top of a skyscraper and still have time to wait for it. Plus when 15000 nukes explode in orbit they do not make a sound, or a flash, or shockwave or have any effect apparently. They just vanish in a line of dialog and are never mentioned again. Like half the city falling in a hole.

The worst part of this episode was the same as usual. As I imagine Chloe Bennet is sleeping with a producer on SHIELD, Emily Rickards is probably spending a lot of time "rehearsing" with producer Marc Guggenheim. Felicity was in nearly every scene, had more dialog than every other cast member (possibly even Amell!) and then when everyone had left the final line of the episode (courtesy of, who else, Felicity) felt like a fourth wall middle finger to the audience.

"You thought I was leaving, too? Not a chance."

Maybe not Felicity, but a lot of viewers will be.

I will take what I said about Barry Allen all back if he actually managed to time travel reset this entire show next season. Otherwise I'm only going to be watching for the crossover events.

Last edited by VisionOn; 06-02-2016 at 04:13 AM.
post #2180 of 2181 Old 06-02-2016, 12:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 3019 Post(s)
Liked: 2645
Finally! Made it to the end of this season. Aaaaaand that's a wrap for this show for me. No need to state the reasons, just read all the posts above.

The only way I'm coming back is if Ollie ditches the hoodie (which must really cut down on his peripheral vision), dons the jaunty feathered GA cap, and grows a proper GA 'stash & goatee (commonly known as a Vandyke). Then he'd at least look like the real Green Arrow. Oh, and compound bows are for sissies.

Last edited by archiguy; 06-02-2016 at 12:48 PM.
post #2181 of 2181 Old 06-02-2016, 12:43 PM

Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post
Finally! Made it to the end of this season. Aaaaaand that's a wrap for this show for me. No need to state the reasons, just read all the posts above.

The only way I'm coming back is if Ollie ditches the hoodie (which must really cut down on his peripheral vision), dons the jaunty feathered GA cap, and grows a proper GA 'stash & goatee. Then he'd at least look like the real Green Arrow. Oh, and compound bows are for sissies.

The only way I'm coming back is if Arrow (Ollie) reboots back to season 1 Ollie. Killer Ollie. That Ollie was a total badass. He did what needed to be done. He pulled no punches. This Ollie is a total joke - can get beaten in hand to hand by Cupid for Christ's sake.

Cupid.

Also Magneto (Diggle) must never don the helmet. Ever again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page