"Arrow" on The CW HD - Page 78 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 380Likes

post #2311 of 2337 Old 02-16-2017, 09:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 704 Post(s)
Liked: 492
I was going to ask why the "mature viewers" warning before the show... but given how Internet forums discuss such topics, I think I figured out the answer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2312 of 2337 Old 02-17-2017, 07:01 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Hey, at least there wasn't "And now a very special episode of Arrow." Oh,wait a minute.......
post #2313 of 2337 Old 02-17-2017, 10:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked: 87
I finally got around to watching this weeks episode. I concur with other comments about this episode. This show was NOT a "Green Arrow" program. It was political dogma with a "wrapping" of "Green Arrow" characters. Joseph Goebbels would have been proud at the propaganda that was espoused on the show this week. I watch this show for entertainment, not political activism. If I want political diatribes, there are many other shows that do this as their main function. C'mon producers/writers---get back to showing the viewers stories about "Green Arrow" and his fight against evil in his city.

The above are my opinions and should not be construed to reflect upon others. YMMV.
mchief99 likes this.

post #2314 of 2337 Old 02-17-2017, 11:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 951 Post(s)
Liked: 868
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vidop View Post
I finally got around to watching this weeks episode. I concur with other comments about this episode. This show was NOT a "Green Arrow" program. It was political dogma with a "wrapping" of "Green Arrow" characters. Joseph Goebbels would have been proud at the propaganda that was espoused on the show this week. I watch this show for entertainment, not political activism. If I want political diatribes, there are many other shows that do this as their main function. C'mon producers/writers---get back to showing the viewers stories about "Green Arrow" and his fight against evil in his city.

The above are my opinions and should not be construed to reflect upon others. YMMV.
While I stick to my criticism, the show wasn't propaganda and wasn't really taking a side other than to say that the issue should be talked about without just getting angry about it. It was just done so poorly. They didn't even really explain the ultimate compromise.

"Nowadays, you can just click a button and buy a book, meet your spouse or ruin someone's life. Sometimes those last two are the same thing." John Oliver.
post #2315 of 2337 Old 02-17-2017, 03:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1604 Post(s)
Liked: 1347
As soon as I heard the first exchange about gun control, I thought, "Oh, I know what the AVS discussion of this week's episode is going to look like."

I would argue that this was the worst episode of Arrow ever, because not only was it poorly done, but it was a complete non sequitur. It had no bearing on any of the other plotlines from this season, except for Thea returning from... somewhere, and Laurel 2.0 renting a new apartment. Woo. You could easily skip this week's episode and not have missed anything important.
post #2316 of 2337 Old 02-17-2017, 03:44 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2254 Post(s)
Liked: 2061
Quote:
Originally Posted by daryl zero View Post
While I stick to my criticism, the show wasn't propaganda and wasn't really taking a side other than to say that the issue should be talked about without just getting angry about it. It was just done so poorly. They didn't even really explain the ultimate compromise.
As far as I could tell, they didn't explain it at all. We spent an hour debating the issue and by the end it was, "We solved it! See you next week!".
post #2317 of 2337 Old 02-17-2017, 06:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Their "compromise" was complete nonsense. Oliver said something about it protecting citizens while not encroaching upon people's ability to buy, own, or carry guns, or something to that effect, which in essence means that the legislation did nothing.
mchief99 likes this.
post #2318 of 2337 Old 02-26-2017, 12:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Someone has to help me here...

They "know" Prometheus is a kid of a guy Oliver shot several seasons back... and they know the mother... so Oliver goes and asks the mother to tell him her son's name?

What?

How can they think they know all that, and not be able to determine the identity of Prometheus from that? I'm really confused.
post #2319 of 2337 Old 02-26-2017, 06:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Someone help me as well. The father of Prometheus, flashbacks show that he was killed by Oliver this season but I have been rewatching the first season and at that same place, the guy killed there (next to that swimming pool) was killed by Deadshot. Amiwrong or amiright?

"Nowadays, you can just click a button and buy a book, meet your spouse or ruin someone's life. Sometimes those last two are the same thing." John Oliver.
post #2320 of 2337 Old 02-26-2017, 01:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I think the flashbacks to season 1 are supposed to involve other events that weren't depicted on screen, i.e. Oliver killed other people from the list who weren't shown in any of the episodes.
post #2321 of 2337 Old 02-26-2017, 04:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
I think the flashbacks to season 1 are supposed to involve other events that weren't depicted on screen, i.e. Oliver killed other people from the list who weren't shown in any of the episodes.
Maybe so but it was the exact same swimming pool Watch the 1st Season, 3rd ep, Lone Gunmen where Deadshot first appeared.

post #2322 of 2337 Old 02-27-2017, 06:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 561 Post(s)
Liked: 235
If you watch carefully in the first season, there is one episode - and I can't remember which one off the top of my noggin - where Oliver and Diggle have been working together and it's plainly stated that - between that episode and the last - Oliver has been busy crossing (unknown) names off The List. That bit of time is when the execution would have likely taken place and his name was on the list in the pilot episode. The gap between episodes can be anywhere from a few moments to a few months, so there's time for things to happen, especially since they almost never give actual dates in the episode dialog or any of the scenery dressing such as Felicity's computer graphics for the show's various hacking and record reviewing hijinks.

Last edited by LexInVA; 02-27-2017 at 06:12 AM.
post #2323 of 2337 Old 03-04-2017, 07:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I'm mostly bothered that he knows the father and the mother (or so he thinks) and somehow can't find the kid grown up from that? I'm completely don't understand that at all!

Now throw in... apparently the guy we thought was Vigilante is Prometheus... and someone online has a theory that he actually is BOTH characters somehow as a misdirection... and I have multiple things to be confused about.
post #2324 of 2337 Old 03-06-2017, 08:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 726 Post(s)
Liked: 421
Sooo, I didn't watch any episode of this season yet. Should I binge watch them or was it a good idea to bail out of the show?!

P.S.: I miss Thea.

Prof. Dr. Turrican M.D.
post #2325 of 2337 Old 03-07-2017, 12:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMe2 View Post
I'm mostly bothered that he knows the father and the mother (or so he thinks) and somehow can't find the kid grown up from that? I'm completely don't understand that at all!

Now throw in... apparently the guy we thought was Vigilante is Prometheus... and someone online has a theory that he actually is BOTH characters somehow as a misdirection... and I have multiple things to be confused about.
You must not have watched last week's show. It was all revealed.
post #2326 of 2337 Old 03-07-2017, 10:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lokilarry View Post
You must not have watched last week's show. It was all revealed.
I did watch last week... that's why I posted what I did. They did not reveal all. They showed who Prometheus was... but not who Vigilante was. They also haven't plausibly explained how Oliver knows who the parents are but somehow can't figure out who the "kid" Prometheus is.
post #2327 of 2337 Old 03-08-2017, 08:15 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
I did watch last week... that's why I posted what I did. They did not reveal all. They showed who Prometheus was... but not who Vigilante was. They also haven't plausibly explained how Oliver knows who the parents are but somehow can't figure out who the "kid" Prometheus is.
My take is just because you know the parents, doesn't mean you necessarily know who the kid is. The kid could have been young at the time, moved away, grew up, changed his name to hide identity etc.
post #2328 of 2337 Old 03-08-2017, 09:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I'm pretty sure the guy is the Vigilante, Prometheus and the Green Arrow. Oliver finally cracks.
TeeJay1952 likes this.

post #2329 of 2337 Old 03-08-2017, 11:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1407 Post(s)
Liked: 1075
Quote:
... and someone online has a theory that he actually is BOTH characters somehow as a misdirection...

So, he fought with himself and threw himself off the rooftop?

post #2330 of 2337 Old 03-08-2017, 12:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 334 Post(s)
Liked: 209
Nah, it's his long lost half twin brother Murray.

Dazed and confused over high tech.

Sigh...Concrap. The Internet Overlord Cometh
They're not com-tastic!
post #2331 of 2337 Old 03-08-2017, 12:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus33 View Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_e747emj-lY
Have you seen Fight Club? What happens on the rooftop, stays on the rooftop (unless thrown off). Its just a fig of his mind. Did anyone find a Vigilante body? I think not.

post #2332 of 2337 Old 03-08-2017, 01:26 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 4676 Post(s)
Liked: 11020
It's like, how much more black could this be? And the answer is none. None more black.

post #2333 of 2337 Old 03-08-2017, 01:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post
It's like, how much more black could this be? And the answer is none. None more black.
Exactly. It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.

post #2334 of 2337 Old 03-09-2017, 10:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdchrgrboy View Post
My take is just because you know the parents, doesn't mean you necessarily know who the kid is. The kid could have been young at the time, moved away, grew up, changed his name to hide identity etc.
Remember, though, we're only talking about 5 years ago. The "kid" can't be very young unless we're dealing with a magic kid or something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus33 View Post
Yeah, I don't get that theory either... It's just weird that they exposed Prometheus as being who we all thought was Vigilante, especially given his name... so we're left with wondering who Vigilante is and how that ties into everything.

So now I'm wondering if that reporter is going to turn out to be Vigilante!
post #2335 of 2337 Old 03-18-2017, 09:01 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 2054
Okay Arrow you got me. I think. Maybe?

So Adrian Chase (or whatever his name really is) is Prometheus and not Vigilante as I expected. Although I'm not sure if the misdirect was that succesful since it was blatantly obvious Adrian had secret identity. So if the point was to make him appear as a regular character the show failed miserably. I guess Talia is Vigilante now?

I have to say having Prometheus unmasked and the crew being forced to work with him on a daily basis I thought was pretty good. As a regular and more grounded kind of Machiavellian serial murderer it brings the show to a darker and more threatening level than it has in a long time. Evil Chase is much better than Good Chase.

But the show should have unmasked Prometheus about ten episodes ago instead of dragging it out this long and padding it with stories so forgettable I cannot remember them. At best this arc should have been 12 episodes and dealing with Chase on a face-to-face level would have made things more interesting to watch. I barely cared about the Prometheus story until he was unmasked.

I like seeing more of David Nykl too but those flashbacks suffer from the usual problem that they are thirty seconds long and end before he has a real chance to do anything.
HDMe2 likes this.

post #2336 of 2337 Old 03-18-2017, 11:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Was it just seasons 1-2 where the flashbacks had a reasonable length? I can't recall which season switched to tiny flashbacks that cut away after one sentence of dialogue. It was probably 3 or 4.

Honestly I wasn't that impressed with them having to work along side the evil Chase. It consisted mostly of them saying, "That SOB!" over and over, because FCC-blessed profanity options are limited.
post #2337 of 2337 Old Today, 08:30 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 2054
I cannot believe the show actually fulfilled my request last week!

An entire episode flashback with more David Nykl was a welcome change of pace and overall a good episode with a solid performance by Amell. Holy crap it was dark. Probably the most violent (albeit implied) that the show has ever done.

The only problem I had was I just kept getting the feeling we've been here before. The show has addressed Oliver is a killer and a psychopath and other characters have pointed that out. The only real revelation I guess was ... that he liked it? Given his use of torture and arrows in the leg for fun in past seasons that doesn't really come as a new surprise.

If the past few episodes had appeared in the first half of the season it might have helped the pacing. These new episodes taking a much darker turn are better and it's good to have a villain who is a scary-Jigsaw killer instead of another dude with plans for world domination. To get to this point we still had to get past the typical comic book goofery episodes though.

After Amell stepped in to take the show back to it's roots the result is much improved. The Prometheus story and episodes like this would have worked better if they had been in season three and we didn't have to go through similar beats that got drowned out by Felicity romance and secret underground domes.

And I guess Dolph is back to being chief Vigilante suspect?

Last edited by VisionOn; Today at 08:38 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming