AVS Forum banner

"Arrow" on The CW HD

108K views 2K replies 144 participants last post by  TitusTroy 
#1 ·
 First Look

Old Smallville costume:

New Robin Hood-"esque" Arrow look.

IMO the Smallvile one is better. They go a bit too dark here. GA is not Bats.

Thoughts?

See less See more
#2 ·
I don't think it's too dark. I think it's enough of a departure that people will not mistake this project for a "Smallville" spinoff (there are still people complaining about Hartley not getting the role.) While it's true Green Arrow is not Batman, they do have a lot in common, and I personally don't have a problem with this show having a darker tone. I'd rather see something that looks and feels more like "The Dark Knight" than another "Smallville." And this is coming from a Smallville fan.

Edit: I posted this before I really paid attention to the headline of the thread. It should be made very clear, this is NOT a Smallville spinoff and that is NOT Justin Hartley. Steven Amell is playing Oliver Queen in this pilot.

#15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMe2 /forum/post/22012944

I hope this is good... but I have some doubts.

There's no reason why it couldn't be good... and I think it is a good move to try and not connect to Smallville... but something in me keeps screaming that this isn't going to work.

I'll watch it, but the fact it's on CW leads me to believe it will be youth targeted like Vampire Diaries.

#16 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFi /forum/post/22013719

I'll watch it, but the fact it's on CW leads me to believe it will be youth targeted like Vampire Diaries.

Just the fact that they call it ARROW has me worried. Why try to hide the character's name? If Marvel had a TV show based on one of their heroes, would it be called just IRON or SURFER or WIDOW? It's almost like they're ashamed of it.

#17 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinema13 /forum/post/22014123

Just the fact that they call it ARROW has me worried. Why try to hide the character's name? If Marvel had a TV show based on one of their heroes, would it be called just IRON or SURFER or WIDOW? It's almost like they're ashamed of it.

Probably they got some feedback from people thinking "Green Arrow" would be a car chase show....

..all kidding aside, though, perhaps they wanted something smoother to say that would bookend a title like Smallville. One word does that without the potentional for someone to hear it as "Green Narrow". Further, if they called it "Green Arrow" or "The Green Arrow", they'd have to choose the first costume or people would wonder why his costume wasn't green. Finally, alphabetically, Arrow would sort to the top of the listings, as apposed to the G's or (worse) mixed in with the T's in systems that don't ignore "The" when sorting.

It's like naming your company "AAA Printing" or "AAA Laundry". People see it first.

#19 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinema13 /forum/post/22014123

They weren't paying attention to what happened with "John Carter". If they had added "...Of Mars" to the title, people would have had more of an idea what it was about. Probably would have done a lot better, too. It wasn't a bad popcorn movie and didn't deserve its fate, IMO.

#20 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy /forum/post/22018534

They weren't paying attention to what happened with "John Carter". If they had added "...Of Mars" to the title, people would have had more of an idea what it was about. Probably would have done a lot better, too. It wasn't a bad popcorn movie and didn't deserve its fate, IMO.

Even worse is leaving the Burroughs name off. If the ads went something along the lines of "From Edgar Rice Burroughs, Creator of Tarzan! JOHN CARTER OF MARS!" (or A PRINCESS OF MARS), it might have been more helpful.

#24 ·
And get ready for the same cast of nay sayers to pop up here and tell us how much they hate this show that they will watch week after week.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.