Defiance--New Syfy series and MMO tie in - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 05-15-2013, 09:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 434 Post(s)
Liked: 418
Having Irisa back dragged this episode down compared to the one without her from the week prior. Her storylines are such a chore to watch.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2013, 09:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Another song remake? I think this is a sign of things to come.
Irisa blowing off Tommy (not in the good way)
Irisa Uncle,
Artifact going all Lord of the rings when it was about to be destroyed. Mayor's errand boy, gone due to same artifact.
Nolan being dumped (In the Game Rynn showed up on the run. She mentions the Mayor as Nolan's Girlfriend. Wonder if that's it a hint?)

Biomen poses

Next Up.Irathient pose

LOVED the new Challenger Commercial
http://www.ispot.tv/ad/7ZPn/dodge-charger-defiance-song-by-ony-hamilton-and-elayna-boynton
Old 05-22-2013, 01:00 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 818
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wytchone View Post

Another song remake? I think this is a sign of things to come.
I thought it was frickin' stupid.rolleyes.gif

Quote:
She mentions the Mayor as Nolan's Girlfriend.
Oh OH OH...I would be MORE than happy to be the mayor's Boy Toy.tongue.gif

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
Old 05-22-2013, 06:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 119
I'm only watching this for the eye candy, and we missed Jamie Murray in this last one so it was 2/3 eye candy, well 1/3 since Mia's character refused to do her "job"

RIP Mom, we always love you 8/18/13
Old 05-23-2013, 09:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

I thought it was frickin' stupid.rolleyes.gif
Oh OH OH...I would be MORE than happy to be the mayor's Boy Toy.tongue.gif

Mayor's new asst. is not too shabby. Lots of legs that one! But yeah im with you on either one.
Old 05-25-2013, 08:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 56
I don't know why this bothers me, but for some reason it does.

Why do all the races speak perfect English, but as soon as it comes time to say the word crap or **** they need to say shtako instead?
Old 05-25-2013, 09:55 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Because Rockne and SyFy still think characters on cable can't say s**t? Or they prefer not to use it?

You hear it and pretty much every derivative on USA plenty.

5 MAGNAVOX 2160 & 7 PHILIPS 3576 OTA
TWC ROADRUNNER
Old 05-25-2013, 12:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 46
They're certainly not afraid of the "S" word on Lost Girl, another syfy series.

Steve S.
Old 05-25-2013, 01:06 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve S View Post

They're certainly not afraid of the "S" word on Lost Girl, another syfy series.
import from canada
Old 05-25-2013, 01:09 PM

So it must be they think it's cute to make up swear word like Battlestar Galactica did and hope it catches on in polite company like FRACK did.

I haven't seen Lost Girl because I don't have cable and SyFy doesn't stream it (no Hulu or Netflix subscriptions either). I stream Defiance episodes from www.defiance.com--haven't tried the game itself.

TWC ROADRUNNER
Old 05-25-2013, 01:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 434 Post(s)
Liked: 418
Both Lost Girl and Continuum come from Canada, which doesn't subscribe to the United States' squeamishness about language.
Old 05-25-2013, 01:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mreedelp View Post

So it must be they think it's cute to make up swear word like Battlestar Galactica did and hope it catches on in polite company like FRACK did.
Another reason why I didn't watch BG...rolleyes.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post

Both Lost Girl and Continuum come from Canada, which doesn't subscribe to the United States' squeamishness about language.
God bless the f_cking Canookies.biggrin.gif

Old 05-25-2013, 09:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 458
Quote:

For what it's worth, BSG was a broadcast network show back in the 70's. The use of Frack in the newer version was a nod to that.
Old 05-25-2013, 10:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 99
I've never really understood all the complaining about Frack. I've watched enough HBO and I think they overuse swear words and nudity, the biggest contribution it adds half the time is it confirms the R rating. It's like a crutch, when they run out of dialog, they just stream a line of obscenities. As far as I'm concerned swear words don't really add a thing to a good show, if it's good it will be good with or without swearing. The only show that I thought really worked with curse words constantly was Deadwood, most everything else I've seen it just seems like overkill. I guess the language in the Sopranos felt appropriate
Old 05-25-2013, 10:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 458
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebkell View Post

I've never really understood all the complaining about Frack. I've watched enough HBO and I think they overuse swear words and nudity, the biggest contribution it adds half the time is it confirms the R rating. It's like a crutch, when they run out of dialog, they just stream a line of obscenities. As far as I'm concerned swear words don't really add a thing to a good show, if it's good it will be good with or without swearing. The only show that I thought really worked with curse words constantly was Deadwood, most everything else I've seen it just seems like overkill. I guess the language in the Sopranos felt appropriate
For me, what made me unable to watch Deadwood was using the F-word as the goto swear word all the time. It didn't offend me - it simply made me roll my eyes every time I heard it again and again.

It felt like they decided it was the one swear word you definitely can't say on other TV channels and used it as much as they could because of it.

I don't mind swearing - I just would rather characters swear more creatively. Combine stuff, like John Connor explained it to the Terminator...or sport a great catch phrase, like "Yippy Kay Yay, Mother F-er..." wink.gif
Old 05-26-2013, 05:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebkell View Post

i always shook my head at this stuff. Not sure why the "f" word is verboten but you could use a word that means exactly the same thing which is acceptable like "shag" or "frack" "make love" or "screw" and that is okay. I think Lenny Bruce had it right, the words themselves don't mean anything. Additionally, the original meaning of the "f" word doesn't even really exist anymore. If you ask me, its all FUBAR. .

Jerry. Just remember. Its not a lie . . . if you believe it. GC
Old 05-26-2013, 06:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked: 343
Quote:

So it must be they think it's cute to make up swear word like Battlestar Galactica did and hope it catches on in polite company like FRACK did..

shtako is a poor substitute for frack or even better frell wink.gif

Steve
Old 05-26-2013, 06:06 AM

On the Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson a week or two ago, Craig and Geoff made up a word during the monologue (can't remember what it was but I think it was to describe a female body part--my memory isn't what it used to be). They used it so much the producer and censors told them to stop using it before they got half-way thru the show. Craig even commented on being told to stop during that show and then a show or two later when they made up another word for something.

So sometimes even making up a word is frowned on if used too much.

TWC ROADRUNNER
Old 05-26-2013, 03:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkTV View Post

Deadwood was using the F-word as the goto swear word all the time. It didn't offend me - it simply made me roll my eyes every time I heard it again and again.

It felt like they decided it was the one swear word you definitely can't say on other TV channels and used it as much as they could because of it.
That, and Al's favorite description of other people: c_cksucker.

I loved Deadwood, but they ALMOST made it unwatchable with the repetitiveness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daryl zero View Post

If you ask me, its all FUBAR. .
That too.tongue.gif

Old 06-04-2013, 08:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Seems the Defiance FB has way more discussion then whats going on here.

I missed it during its 2 week hiatus.

Old 06-04-2013, 09:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Not sure what to discuss about Defiance. At this point, its more of a guilty pleasure. Nice ladies to look at. Show plots are not that great. Kind of a B television sci-fi.

Old 06-04-2013, 10:26 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daryl zero View Post

Not sure what to discuss about Defiance. At this point, its more of a guilty pleasure. Nice ladies to look at. Show plots are not that great. Kind of a B television sci-fi.
+1

Old 06-04-2013, 11:26 AM
AVS Special Member

+2

imagining greater but settling for what it is.

Steve
Old 06-04-2013, 05:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by replayrob View Post

From my basic understanding- Mars no longer has a molten iron rotating magnetic core like the earth has- therefore it has no magnetic field and magnetosphere that helps hold the atmosphere to the planet and protects us against solar radiation. Since there's no atmosphere- most of the water has evaporated off into space too. Since there's no way to make the core molten and rotating again- there's just no way to keep a dense atmosphere on mars, no way to keep liquid water on the surface, and no way to protect against lethal radiation. Best case scenario for human habitation of Mars would be living under the surface or on the surface in pressurized structures.
It doesn't seem likely that we'd ever be able to reverse the cause of Mars losing it's magnetic field, atmosphere, liquid water, etc... Mars is basically spent as a first class habitat for humans- but it's useful for natural resources.
Two words: anti and matter tongue.gif

Be seeing you!
Old 06-04-2013, 06:33 PM
AVS Special Member

hmm

I'll risk getting flamed for this, but we just watched last night's episode. pretty ho hum except for the lesbo action at the end wink.gif I must say, this show is descending quickly into mediocrity. And what's with every every old tune they dig up is done in such a lackluster fashion. I happen to really like Van Morrison's Into the Mystic a lot but the singer they used didn't do the song justice.

At least Revolution used Blind Faith's real song for Can't Find My Way Home at the beginning. I guess they could afford Eric & Stevie's royalties while SyFy had to find a folk singer.
Keenan likes this.

Steve
Old 06-04-2013, 06:39 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 448 Post(s)
Liked: 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss9001 View Post

hmm

I'll risk getting flamed for this, but we just watched last night's episode. pretty ho hum except for the lesbo action at the end wink.gif I must say, this show is descending quickly into mediocrity. And what's with every every old tune they dig up is done in such a lackluster fashion. I happen to really like Van Morrison's Into the Mystic a lot but the singer they used didn't do the song justice.

At least Revolution used Blind Faith's real song for Can't Find My Way Home at the beginning. I guess they could afford Eric & Stevie's royalties while SyFy had to find a folk singer.
I was thinking the very same thing, it is very mediocre with a capital M. I'll continue to watch as I love sci-fi, and I am somewhat curious about the artifact angle, but this show is not very good, at all.
Old 06-05-2013, 06:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss9001 View Post

hmm

I'll risk getting flamed for this, but we just watched last night's episode. pretty ho hum except for the lesbo action at the end wink.gif I must say, this show is descending quickly into mediocrity. .

I wished there was more "L" action, just some kisses... we've seen some "semi-action" before why not this?

It was certainly a "too much Jaime Murray" night and to top it off a "ninite night"

RIP Mom, we always love you 8/18/13
Old 06-05-2013, 11:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLar View Post

I wished there was more "L" action, just some kisses... we've seen some "semi-action" before why not this?

I've never understood why so many heterosexual males like watching "L". There is no "avatar" to imagine yourself as in the scene! I have no wish to be a woman, so such scenes just seem detached from any personal pleasurable connection...
Old 06-05-2013, 11:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 420 Post(s)
Liked: 702
Quote:
Originally Posted by iontyre View Post

I've never understood why so many heterosexual males like watching "L". There is no "avatar" to imagine yourself as in the scene! I have no wish to be a woman, so such scenes just seem detached from any personal pleasurable connection...

It's the hypocrisy of the dichotomy that's always bothered me. Many of these guys are flaming homophobes when it comes to the male version but drooling adolescents when it's two females. I just always attribute it to their own sexual insecurity. wink.gif
iontyre likes this.
Old 06-05-2013, 11:40 AM
AVS Special Member

With all due seriousness, I think that heterosexual men are attracted to women so they can understand the attraction to women in these scenes that are, lets face it, made for men. The scenes include women who are attractive to men and the sex which is shown is the type of sex that men like. I do agree that there is a hypocrisy of men being homophobic about male coupling and thinking that female coupling is just fine or natural. Despite my gender self-reflection, I am all for more scenes with Mia and Jaime and, what the heck, throw in Julie and Stephanie for good measure.