AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkTV View Post

Very jealous, I'm certain:

I expect Talaxians would invade for that. That's a major step up in their case. biggrin.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 518 Old 04-21-2013, 03:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked: 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

God I hope not, I hated TN.
Terra Nova was the kind of series that gives Sci-Fi a bad reputation.
Not me....wink.gif

yup. we agree on that! TN was one of the worst SF shows I can remember trying to watch.
we can hope Defiance is different.

Steve
post #93 of 518 Old 04-21-2013, 03:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by totalownership View Post

The hips , or lack thereof, gave me reason to pause initially.

like oink, the scene got my attention biggrin.gif

Steve
post #94 of 518 Old 04-21-2013, 08:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss9001 View Post

yup. we agree on that! TN was one of the worst SF shows I can remember trying to watch.
we can hope Defiance is different.
Yes, when they get to the lead character singing the "Itsy Spider Song" this time, He will have a deeper voice. biggrin.gif:D
post #95 of 518 Old 04-21-2013, 10:05 AM
AVS Special Member

^^
LOL biggrin.gif

Steve
post #96 of 518 Old 04-23-2013, 11:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Well it was nice to see the story line continued from the pilot. Starting to see them have each episode flow into the next.
Only time will tell.
post #97 of 518 Old 04-23-2013, 01:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Ok ... I've been willing to give this show a long leash ... and I try not to be overly nitpicky over "syfy" shows as a rule ... BUT ...

Could somebody explain how nearly all of "Old St. Louis" is preserved *well* underground, yet the Gateway Arch stands tall, tattered but proud above ground?

Disconnect ... Disconnect ... Disconnect ...
post #98 of 518 Old 04-23-2013, 01:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 367 Post(s)
Liked: 678
Not to mention all those mountains and cliffs nearby. Doesn't jibe with the actual geography.
post #99 of 518 Old 04-23-2013, 01:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

Not to mention all those mountains and cliffs nearby. Doesn't jibe with the actual geography.

That, I can actually buy as a part of the (re)terraforming, but the only way I can explain away the arch is they must have retrieved it from the mines and rebuilt it above ground ... might explain the (still) missing bits of it ... ???
post #100 of 518 Old 04-23-2013, 02:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 367 Post(s)
Liked: 678
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVChallenged View Post

That, I can actually buy as a part of the (re)terraforming, but the only way I can explain away the arch is they must have retrieved it from the mines and rebuilt it above ground ... might explain the (still) missing bits of it ... ???

Terraforming the atmosphere is one thing, but mountains can only be formed by tectonic action, essentially continents colliding with each other over hundreds of thousands of years. Now, in Tom Cruise's new movie Oblivion (which I saw yesterday - solid 3 stars), the invading aliens destroyed the moon, blasting it apart, which caused all kinds of havoc on earth from gigantic earthquakes to devastating title waves. I can buy that.

But mountains suddenly appearing out there on the central Missouri prairie? Nah. That's just nonsense, a really surprising production design decision. If they'd wanted steep, craggy mountains, they could easily have set the show in Denver or Salt Lake City. Of course, the video game takes place in San Francisco. They've got some hilly terrain out there, but still nothing like the mountains portrayed in the show. Balderdash, I say.
post #101 of 518 Old 04-23-2013, 02:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 295 Post(s)
Liked: 905
post #102 of 518 Old 04-23-2013, 11:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:

Ok ... I've been willing to give this show a long leash ... and I try not to be overly nitpicky over "syfy" shows as a rule ... BUT ...

Could somebody explain how nearly all of "Old St. Louis" is preserved *well* underground, yet the Gateway Arch stands tall, tattered but proud above ground?

Quote:

I don't know about the arch, (maybe it's shorter then it was because only part of it is sticking up over the new surface). They did explain the terrain changes in the second episode. The "terraforming" did not just alter the atmosphere, it completely reshaped the surface of the planet. They didn't say why this was done, only THAT it was done. They said that St Louis was odd in that the new surface covered the original one, but solidified before it could smother and crush the existing original surface leaving the old city intact underground.

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
post #103 of 518 Old 04-24-2013, 12:19 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 818
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wytchone View Post

Well it was nice to see the story line continued from the pilot. Starting to see them have each episode flow into the next.
Only time will tell.
True.wink.gif

Quote:

Quote:

Terraforming the atmosphere is one thing, but mountains can only be formed by tectonic action, essentially continents colliding with each other over hundreds of thousands of years. Now, in Tom Cruise's new movie Oblivion (which I saw yesterday - solid 3 stars), the invading aliens destroyed the moon, blasting it apart, which caused all kinds of havoc on earth from gigantic earthquakes to devastating title waves. I can buy that.

But mountains suddenly appearing out there on the central Missouri prairie? Nah. That's just nonsense, a really surprising production design decision. If they'd wanted steep, craggy mountains, they could easily have set the show in Denver or Salt Lake City. Of course, the video game takes place in San Francisco. They've got some hilly terrain out there, but still nothing like the mountains portrayed in the show. Balderdash, I say.
Sheesh, you're starting to get picky in your old age! tongue.gif

To be serious for a moment...I did like the new episode.
Of course, it's really difficult to feel negative about a series with Ms. Julie Benz in it....wink.gif

However, I did notice a couple of things that don't quite gel:
The insistence by the Administration to validate all of the alien races thru American culture.
Not realistic IMO, especially when you consider exactly what Defiance is...
Also, the orangutan/gorilla hybrids are very lame.

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
post #104 of 518 Old 04-24-2013, 04:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 202
Quote:

They explained this in the show and they showed it on the map. Not all of the city was buried. A portion of it was buried as the land folded in on itself, the arch was outisde of the fold, so part of the city got buried/perserved, part of it did not.

My complaint was why did the underground portion look so bad/overgrown after just 30 years.

post #105 of 518 Old 04-24-2013, 06:14 AM
AVS Special Member

post #106 of 518 Old 04-24-2013, 06:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

Also, the orangutan/gorilla hybrids are very lame.

That's because we haven't seen him/her break the blue Hulk bioman thing. smile.gif

I'm liking it still. The world is very rich and welcome. I wish it was on Sci-Friday though.
post #107 of 518 Old 04-24-2013, 06:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post

CREATOR: gd-jpeg v1.0 (using IJG JPEG v62), quality = 75
ROFL I love this meme
post #108 of 518 Old 04-24-2013, 06:31 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:

Come on guys it's science fiction with the emphasis on fiction. Even the older shows like Star Trek had elements that were not plausible. Yet I liked them non the less.
post #109 of 518 Old 04-24-2013, 06:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpillar View Post

Come on guys it's science fiction with the emphasis on fiction. Even the older shows like Star Trek had elements that were not plausible. Yet I liked them non the less.

I am enjoying the sets, for example the head miner guy's house versus the pale mafia guy's. Nice blend of "cultures." The big pano shots are really good too. So much diversity in the environments and characters. I hope syfy is back on track.

I always hoped they would pick up the canceled big network scifi shows and continue them kind of like netflix is doing with AD. NBC's The Cape would have been a perfect fit on syfy.
post #110 of 518 Old 04-24-2013, 08:07 AM

Liked: 14
My main gripe with this show so far is lazy writing/directing. In the opening scene of the pilot the protagonist is jerking his steering wheel agressively while the background pans peacefully by. In the second episode after the mine explosion, protagonist refuses the established route for entering St Louis then points to another one after barely glancing at the map. After taking an alternative route how do they do know where to find Ben in what is still a pretty large although buried city?
The overall premise is good but the above is going to doom the show plus the aliens. Did anyone else notice how shiny the aliens' facial makeup looked toward the end of the show? Plus I second the ridiculous monkey aliens with the racial undertones.
post #111 of 518 Old 04-24-2013, 08:10 AM
Yrd
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked: 186
How would you know he's driving without whipping the wheel back and forth. Come on, this is how you act brah!

XBL Gamertag- Yrd
PSN - Yerd

Steam - Yrd

post #112 of 518 Old 04-24-2013, 08:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamawass View Post

My main gripe with this show so far is lazy writing/directing. In the opening scene of the pilot the protagonist is jerking his steering wheel agressively while the background pans peacefully by.

Alien power steering. Detroit ain't what it used to be.

Quote:
In the second episode after the mine explosion, protagonist refuses the established route for entering St Louis then points to another one after barely glancing at the map. After taking an alternative route how do they do know where to find Ben in what is still a pretty large although buried city?

They had nearly a minute of dialogue talking about the alternate route. Are second screening while watching TV? smile.gif
They saw the nuke plant light up and thought hmmm maybe a dude is there in this buried city that nobody is in except for that one guy who took some bombs and fled there?
Quote:
The overall premise is good but the above is going to doom the show plus the aliens. Did anyone else notice how shiny the aliens' facial makeup looked toward the end of the show? Plus I second the ridiculous monkey aliens with the racial undertones.

It's tv and I try to not let perfect be the enemy of good but to each his own.
post #113 of 518 Old 04-24-2013, 08:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yrd View Post

How would you know he's driving without whipping the wheel back and forth. Come on, this is how you act brah!

It's like dismissing Star Trek for the crew holding on when fired upon or hitting a space crab or something.
post #114 of 518 Old 04-24-2013, 08:47 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:

Alien power steering. Detroit ain't what it used to be.

They had nearly a minute of dialogue talking about the alternate route. Are second screening while watching TV? smile.gif
They saw the nuke plant light up and thought hmmm maybe a dude is there in this buried city that nobody is in except for that one guy who took some bombs and fled there?
It's tv and I try to not let perfect be the enemy of good but to each his own.
LOL to the alien power steering.
I wasn't second screening during the alternate route scene. The miner's interjection did make sense and was plausible but the protaganist's wasn't. I admit to second screening before Ben was located so I'll rewatch the events leading up to that again. I'm not writing off the show but the directors can put more effort into transforming the very good material they have into must watch tv rather than mediocre drivel.
post #115 of 518 Old 04-24-2013, 09:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamawass View Post

LOL to the alien power steering.
I wasn't second screening during the alternate route scene. The miner's interjection did make sense and was plausible but the protaganist's wasn't. I admit to second screening before Ben was located so I'll rewatch the events leading up to that again. I'm not writing off the show but the directors can put more effort into transforming the very good material they have into must watch tv rather than mediocre drivel.

Oh shirt! I won a thread?smile.gif
post #116 of 518 Old 04-24-2013, 09:45 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 818
Quote:

That's because we haven't seen him/her break the blue Hulk bioman thing. smile.gif
I was actually hoping for a smackdown between the 2.....tongue.gif

FWIW, the "alternate route" thingy didn't bother me...
Afterall, we are talking about SyFy TV.

What you guys REALLY missed was Julie Benz in high heels....walking thru the forest.eek.gifbiggrin.gif

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
post #117 of 518 Old 04-24-2013, 12:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 35
I'm hoping the show doesn't veer off into too many slow-moving episodes / human interest plotlines ....
There's just a point where it could be enough already of the semi boring mine owner/, alien Mob boss & their kids ... & a few seconds shown of the alien wife in the Pool isn't going to make up for it ...
One of Terra Nova's (many) problems was too many episodes where all the action was the "finding the lost dog" , or rescueing someone from the bottom of the well" type episodes, & at the end of the ep you get just 75 or 90 seconds of the "interesting mysteries" ..
post #118 of 518 Old 04-24-2013, 01:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeatChicken View Post

I'm hoping the show doesn't veer off into too many slow-moving episodes / human interest plotlines ....
There's just a point where it could be enough already of the semi boring mine owner/, alien Mob boss & their kids ... & a few seconds shown of the alien wife in the Pool isn't going to make up for it ...
One of Terra Nova's (many) problems was too many episodes where all the action was the "finding the lost dog" , or rescueing someone from the bottom of the well" type episodes, & at the end of the ep you get just 75 or 90 seconds of the "interesting mysteries" ..

Little early for that but a valid concern. Syfy is very concerned with the drama in space drama but gunfights every week get old too. Looks like there's plenty of room for social commentary like Alien Nation and District 9 as well as exploring how to learn to get along with each other. Not all shows can be the pinnacle of sci fi like Gears of War is. smile.gif
post #119 of 518 Old 04-24-2013, 06:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 431
After watching the second episode it feels like this show (despite it's big concept) is basically just another Syfy show using the template of "strange things happen, but in a contemporary setting to save money" and not that far from Warehouse 13, Alphas, et al.

Sure there are more aliens walking around. But they are walking around in basically Earth now just in a junkyard or shantytown. If it wasn't for the occasional FX vista you wouldn't even know it was the future. Vehicles, buildings, weapons, clothing ... mostly everyday items.

I want to see vast alien cities, spaceships and places that look like other worlds. Not around the corner at the disused factory. You can get that on Falling Skies. Based on what we've seen the aliens only came to Earth to make some more mountains and so they can live in shacks with everyone else.

post #120 of 518 Old 04-24-2013, 06:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page