AVS Forum banner

Defiance--New Syfy series and MMO tie in

38K views 822 replies 87 participants last post by  cel4145 
#1 ·
#5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocoon  /t/1402377/defiance-new-syfy-series-and-mmo-tie-in#post_22499776

Looked interesting. I hope a viewer can enjoy the program without requiring MMO or other online participation.

+1 .. if the writers have a long range plan and a story arc planned out, it could be fantastic. Certainly an overabundance of eye candy in the female department. I've been a Jaime Murray fan ever since I saw her, I've been a Julie Benz fan since Angel. Mia Kirshner always seemed to play characters I didn't like, but she was consistent and still pleasant to the eyes. I don't know the other actress. Everyone on the cast seemed to really be getting into the show.

I'm looking forward to some space opera, I've missed it and if it turned out to be a good show, that would just be the icing on the cake.

#6 ·
Why do all these recent shows like this and Falling Skies and Revolution feel this need to pound mankind back to near stone age conditions as their basic premise? After the first time, it gets extremely old to me.

I have just been rereading some old sci-fi novels by James Schmitz who was most active back in the late fifties and sixties. I would love to see somebody do a series based on some of his stuff. Most of his works were set in a distant future where mankind has spread throughout the galaxy and science is generally depicted in a positive way where it is used to solve problems rather than being seen as the cause of problems. Why can't any of the current producers/writers/directors/whatever have a more positive vision of the future? I had hoped the recent reboot of the Star Trek movie series would have inspired some more uplifting TV series/movies, but I guess I was being too optimistic.

Duane

#7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuaneAA  /t/1402377/defiance-new-syfy-series-and-mmo-tie-in#post_22500217

Why do all these recent shows like this and Falling Skies and Revolution feel this need to pound mankind back to near stone age conditions as their basic premise? After the first time, it gets extremely old to me.

I have just been rereading some old sci-fi novels by James Schmitz who was most active back in the late fifties and sixties. I would love to see somebody do a series based on some of his stuff. Most of his works were set in a distant future where mankind has spread throughout the galaxy and science is generally depicted in a positive way where it is used to solve problems rather than being seen as the cause of problems. Why can't any of the current producers/writers/directors/whatever have a more positive vision of the future? I had hoped the recent reboot of the Star Trek movie series would have inspired some more uplifting TV series/movies, but I guess I was being too optimistic.

Duane

Subtle Illuminati engineering. Intelligence and hope are frowned upon.

#8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuaneAA  /t/1402377/defiance-new-syfy-series-and-mmo-tie-in#post_22500217

Why do all these recent shows like this and Falling Skies and Revolution feel this need to pound mankind back to near stone age conditions as their basic premise? After the first time, it gets extremely old to me. ...

Duane
Budget - cheap to produce - just like the alien invasions where all of them "look just like us !"

#13 ·

Quote:

I had hoped the recent reboot of the Star Trek movie series would have inspired some more uplifting TV series/movies, but I guess I was being too optimistic.

Duane

If anything the new Star Trek franchise is moving even further away from those themes. First movie had the destruction of the Romulan and Klingon planets. In the upcoming one, London is obliterated.

#14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooked01  /t/1402377/defiance-new-syfy-series-and-mmo-tie-in#post_23167404

If anything the new Star Trek franchise is moving even further away from those themes. First movie had the destruction of the Romulan and Klingon planets. In the upcoming one, London is obliterated.

Is it a Time travel theme to WWII London?

#16 ·
I anticipate this is going to be like Falling Skies. But get worse after a good-looking pilot.

The game is full of massive sci-fi creatures and tech and I can't imagine how they can keep that in the mix once they've blown through all the trailer sequences in the pilot. TNT can barely keep Falling Skies in sci-fi apocalyptic elements and alien menace with their budget and Syfy are even cheaper. I'm expecting a lot of sitting around in camps looking depressed and aliens who look like humans in this as well. It's the cheap sci-fi plague.

#17 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn  /t/1402377/defiance-new-syfy-series-and-mmo-tie-in#post_23168687

I anticipate this is going to be like Falling Skies. But get worse after a good-looking pilot.

The game is full of massive sci-fi creatures and tech and I can't imagine how they can keep that in the mix once they've blown through all the trailer sequences in the pilot. TNT can barely keep Falling Skies in sci-fi apocalyptic elements and alien menace with their budget and Syfy are even cheaper. I'm expecting a lot of sitting around in camps looking depressed and aliens who look like humans in this as well. It's the cheap sci-fi plague.

I'm hoping that this will be different because of the video game tie-in. Maybe they can share some of the CGI. And video games are ridiculously profitable, at least the successful ones, so maybe they can share budgets too!

#19 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy  /t/1402377/defiance-new-syfy-series-and-mmo-tie-in#post_23168723

I'm hoping that this will be different because of the video game tie-in. Maybe they can share some of the CGI. And video games are ridiculously profitable, at least the successful ones, so maybe they can share budgets too!

Honestly I can't see the game being very successful at all. Big names struggle with a pay model and I can't see many dropping $60 on this when there so many FTP games out there, even with a TV tie-in.

#20 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooked01  /t/1402377/defiance-new-syfy-series-and-mmo-tie-in#post_23167404

Nope.

Romulus & Vulcan were destroyed not the Klingon home planet Kronos.

#21 ·
Kronos was blown up in the old generation Trek. So in that sense the new version is sticking close to the original. They just chose different worlds to destroy.

#23 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcowboy7  /t/1402377/defiance-new-syfy-series-and-mmo-tie-in#post_23169594

Wasnt it Praxis not Kronos.

My mistake! You are correct. I was thinking it was Kronos because I remembered they had to evacuate.

#24 ·

Quote:

They can't obliterate London, G.I. Joe already did it last week!

For years they always picked on New York or L.A., it is nice to see some other big city have a bad year. Although I believe in the real world the Queen and James Bond could kick all of their butts - bad guys and evil aliens alike. GOD SAVE THE QUEEN!

Duane

#26 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy  /t/1402377/defiance-new-syfy-series-and-mmo-tie-in#post_23168723

The game alone supposedly had a budget of $70 million, which is quite a bit less than AAA titles, but it wasn't exactly a cheap game to develop. And like Vision said, there are a lot of FTP games out there, including Planetside 2, which seem sort of similar. I don't know what their projections are, but it certainly seems like they have an uphill climb in order to turn a profit on that side of things. I know I won't be getting it (Or PS2 for that matter since I'm not a fan of those kinds of games).

I'll be giving the show a watch but I'm going in with low expectations...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.