2012 MLB in HDTV - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #31 of 91 Old 04-07-2012, 06:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Ken H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Metro Detroit
Posts: 45,876
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by icemannyr View Post

Anyone getting NYY @ TB have video below the score bar area?

Yes, but it's like looking through the FOX screen mentioned above, times 2.

MLB Network on Comcast.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

Ken H is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #32 of 91 Old 04-08-2012, 02:15 PM
AVS Special Member
 
videojanitor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 3,113
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I had to give up on today's Giants/D'Backs game on Comcast SportsNet Bay Area -- the audio compression killed me. I left the TV on, but listened to the radio (KNBR) stream via the MLB At Bat iPad app -- ran that into my receiver and sync'd them up with the DVR. Vastly superior! I never imagined it would be THIS complicated to simply watch a game.
videojanitor is offline  
post #33 of 91 Old 04-08-2012, 03:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Gt1racer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Fall River, MA
Posts: 1,049
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
The one Game HD Channel is really bothering me, every time the Red Sox air on it the channel is blacked out all day when another game is scheduled (SF/AZ).

Xbox Live: gt1racerlHDl
Gt1racer is offline  
post #34 of 91 Old 04-09-2012, 03:41 PM
AVS Special Member
 
icemannyr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: NYC Area
Posts: 4,416
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have to give thanks to MLB Network for no longer squishing the video on the RSN games they broadcast.
LAA @ MIN is being shown full screen as the video matches the same MLB EI FOX Sports feed.
If they would remove the schedule graphic on the bottom right and just have the score bar and remove the promo snipes it would be even better.

The MLB Network SD feed is now letterboxed so then MLB produced games should be formatted for 16:9.
icemannyr is offline  
post #35 of 91 Old 04-10-2012, 11:22 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Tom Wellman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 1,058
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by icemannyr View Post

I have to give thanks to MLB Network for no longer squishing the video on the RSN games they broadcast.
LAA @ MIN is being shown full screen as the video matches the same MLB EI FOX Sports feed.
If they would remove the schedule graphic on the bottom right and just have the score bar and remove the. promo snipes it would be even better.

The MLB Network SD feed is now letterboxed so then MLB produced games should be formatted for 16:9.

I wish I had known that MLBN. Granted MLBN's snipes are still there. Oh well I watched the game on my smartphone at work and at home on the Roku player with mlb.tv
I must say it really does work like a charm, full screen action, no Fox Sports Net scorebar or MLBN overlaid scorebar to do deal with and only the snipes to do deal with on the telecast. In fact there's no "FS" logo on the top right corner of the screen. It's great!

And the FOUL!
Tom Wellman is offline  
post #36 of 91 Old 04-10-2012, 12:14 PM
AVS Special Member
 
videojanitor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 3,113
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wellman View Post

Oh well I watched the game on my smartphone at work and at home on the Roku player with mlb.tv
I must say it really does work like a charm, full screen action, no Fox Sports Net scorebar or MLBN overlaid scorebar to do deal with and only the snipes to do deal with on the telecast. In fact there's no "FS" logo on the top right corner of the screen. It's great!

I was playing some highlight clips with the MLB At Bat app on the iPad and noticed they had great audio compared to what I am now getting from Comcast SportsNet Bay Area (see previous posts about the painful amount of audio compression). I took a chance and dropped the dough for MLB.TV -- glad I did, because those appear to be clean feeds from the trucks. Nice! In addition to the improved audio, the games appear just as you said, free from all the tickers, snipes, and other junk. I was looking at a random game yesterday afternoon and it had NO graphics at all! It was like time-traveling to 1985.

The only downside I see is that the video isn't as good as it is on "TV." Specifically, you can see that the frame-rate is reduced -- it's got motion-judder -- but I'll take that as opposed to audio that's unlistenable.
videojanitor is offline  
post #37 of 91 Old 04-10-2012, 12:14 PM
AVS Special Member
 
icemannyr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: NYC Area
Posts: 4,416
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
MLBN and MLB.TV must have access to the direct game feeds because I notice on MLBN the FS logo is not on any of the FOX Sports games they broadcast.
I've noticed the same motion judder on the MLB and NHL apps on my DVD player.
icemannyr is offline  
post #38 of 91 Old 04-10-2012, 12:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Ken H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Metro Detroit
Posts: 45,876
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Once again this year, the FOX Sports Nets can't get their DD audio right.

They don't do a full 5.1, for whatever technical reasons in Houston, but instead of passing a correct 2.1 feed which can be processed in analog matrix surround mode, they send a 5.1 feed with only 2.1 active. This results in audio processors not being able to switch to Pro Logic mode and only getting audio on the main left, main right, and low frequency effects channels with nothing in the center or rear surrounds.

My make-do is to use analog audio output from the source box. At least I get Pro Logic processing at that point.

Why oh why is this such a dilemma for them?

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

Ken H is offline  
post #39 of 91 Old 04-11-2012, 07:18 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
Keenan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Santa Rosa, CA
Posts: 27,977
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 320
Quote:
Originally Posted by videojanitor View Post

Yep, that's exactly what it sounds like. I had to give up on KPIX after sending them many complaints, because it does give me a feeling of physical discomfort, just as you described. Unfortunately, not many others seem to have the same reaction or even notice, which baffles me. The CSNBA audio completely destroys the feeling of the game -- the crowd noise is the same whether there's a pitching change or a home run. I sent a complaint through their website, csnbayarea.com, and encourage others to do the same. I watched one spring training game on KNTV, and it was fine.

Just watched about 20 mins of tonight's Giants/Rockies game on CSNBA and you weren't kidding, that sounds horrible, everything is the same level. I can't believe that the folks running that station are oblivious to how bad that sounds, it may even be worse than KPIX.
Keenan is online now  
post #40 of 91 Old 04-11-2012, 07:52 PM
AVS Special Member
 
videojanitor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 3,113
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan View Post


Just watched about 20 mins of tonight's Giants/Rockies game on CSNBA and you weren't kidding, that sounds horrible, everything is the same level. I can't believe that the folks running that station are oblivious to how bad that sounds, it may even be worse than KPIX.

It's beyond ridiculous to be sure. I hope you'll consider going to their website and sending a complaint. I know at least three people who have done so, though it hasn't done any good. All I know is, it cost me $125 to get away from this travesty ... I am watching through MLB.TV now, though I have to wait until the game is over before I can watch. That's OK, since I work until 11pm, and don't usually watch until after midnight.
videojanitor is offline  
post #41 of 91 Old 04-12-2012, 03:12 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
Keenan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Santa Rosa, CA
Posts: 27,977
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 320
Quote:
Originally Posted by videojanitor View Post

It's beyond ridiculous to be sure. I hope you'll consider going to their website and sending a complaint. I know at least three people who have done so, though it hasn't done any good. All I know is, it cost me $125 to get away from this travesty ... I am watching through MLB.TV now, though I have to wait until the game is over before I can watch. That's OK, since I work until 11pm, and don't usually watch until after midnight.

Sent the email today. While I don't watch the Giants that often, when they do play the Dodgers(my team), I'm blacked out of the LA feeds on MLBEI so I have to suffer with the terrible CSNBA audio, love the announcers the Giants have(probably the second best in baseball), but that audio, yikes!
Keenan is online now  
post #42 of 91 Old 04-12-2012, 04:42 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Tom Wellman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 1,058
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Watching MIA/PHI on MLBN, and noticed that the audio is pretty darn good on my DD 5.1 home theater system. Is MLBN presenting their games that they produce in DD 5.1?

And the FOUL!
Tom Wellman is offline  
post #43 of 91 Old 04-12-2012, 05:13 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
Keenan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Santa Rosa, CA
Posts: 27,977
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 320
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wellman View Post

Watching MIA/PHI on MLBN, and noticed that the audio is pretty darn good on my DD 5.1 home theater system. Is MLBN presenting their games that they produce in DD 5.1?

Nope, they're still only running DD 2.0, but DD PLIIx does do a pretty decent job with it.
Keenan is online now  
post #44 of 91 Old 04-12-2012, 05:21 PM
AVS Special Member
 
icemannyr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: NYC Area
Posts: 4,416
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
While I am happy MLBN formats their productions of MLB games for 16:9 the score box is a little to wide and could be much shorter.
icemannyr is offline  
post #45 of 91 Old 04-13-2012, 12:32 AM
AVS Special Member
 
videojanitor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 3,113
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan View Post

Sent the email today. While I don't watch the Giants that often, when they do play the Dodgers(my team), I'm blacked out of the LA feeds on MLBEI so I have to suffer with the terrible CSNBA audio, love the announcers the Giants have(probably the second best in baseball), but that audio, yikes!

Thanks for the support! I am hopeful that if they get enough complaints they'll do something about it. On the other hand, my track record of getting stations to lighten up on their compression is pretty much zero. I'm sure there is a "crackpot" file reserved for my messages ...

Of course, when it comes to announcers, nobody tops Vin Scully. He's the reason I subscribe to the MLB Extra Innings package. Nothing better than kicking back on a lazy Sunday afternoon, listening to Vin.
videojanitor is offline  
post #46 of 91 Old 04-13-2012, 09:35 PM
AVS Special Member
 
spwace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Colfax, CA
Posts: 3,759
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by videojanitor View Post

Yep, that's exactly what it sounds like. I had to give up on KPIX after sending them many complaints, because it does give me a feeling of physical discomfort, just as you described. Unfortunately, not many others seem to have the same reaction or even notice, which baffles me. The CSNBA audio completely destroys the feeling of the game -- the crowd noise is the same whether there's a pitching change or a home run. I sent a complaint through their website, csnbayarea.com, and encourage others to do the same. I watched one spring training game on KNTV, and it was fine.

I agree with the "physical discomfort" statement. I found it very fatiguing and was unable to find a volume level at which it was not annoying.
spwace is online now  
post #47 of 91 Old 04-14-2012, 01:44 AM
AVS Special Member
 
videojanitor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 3,113
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by spwace View Post

I agree with the "physical discomfort" statement. I found it very fatiguing and was unable to find a volume level at which it was not annoying.

The only acceptable volume level is MUTE! The really sad part is, as viewers, we are pretty much powerless to do anything about it. We can yell, scream, jump up and down, but in the end they just ignore us because "they know better." I think the most amazing thing of all is how few viewers notice or are bothered by this processing -- it is about UN-subtle as can be. I guess people just don't care.
videojanitor is offline  
post #48 of 91 Old 04-14-2012, 06:10 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
Keenan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Santa Rosa, CA
Posts: 27,977
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 320
Quote:
Originally Posted by videojanitor View Post

The only acceptable volume level is MUTE! The really sad part is, as viewers, we are pretty much powerless to do anything about it. We can yell, scream, jump up and down, but in the end they just ignore us because "they know better." I think the most amazing thing of all is how few viewers notice or are bothered by this processing -- it is about UN-subtle as can be. I guess people just don't care.

I collected the exchanges above and posted the following in the Comcast Bay Area thread.
Keenan is online now  
post #49 of 91 Old 04-14-2012, 08:37 PM
AVS Special Member
 
videojanitor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 3,113
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan View Post


I collected the exchanges above and posted the following in the Comcast Bay Area thread.

Thanks for doing that. I hope it does some good. FYI, the problem isn't related to dialnorm -- that's just a value that is transmitted to let the receiver know where to get the gain -- this is wholesale COMPRESSING of the audio. Doesn't matter what the dialnorm value is, it will still sound bad. It also doesn't matter if you listen in 5.1, stereo, or mono. All are impacted.
videojanitor is offline  
post #50 of 91 Old 04-14-2012, 09:07 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
Keenan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Santa Rosa, CA
Posts: 27,977
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 320
Quote:
Originally Posted by videojanitor View Post

Thanks for doing that. I hope it does some good. FYI, the problem isn't related to dialnorm -- that's just a value that is transmitted to let the receiver know where to get the gain -- this is wholesale COMPRESSING of the audio. Doesn't matter what the dialnorm value is, it will still sound bad. It also doesn't matter if you listen in 5.1, stereo, or mono. All are impacted.

I just tried what Ken H does with FOX RSNs as noted above, which CSNBA used to be and basically must still be technology-wise as going to an analog, or PCM output from my TiVo instead of a DD signal helps a whole lot, it opens it up much more, I'm actually getting content out of the surrounds whereas before I was getting hardly anything. It's still compressed, and gives you that pressure on the eardrum feeling, but it is definitely better. The announcers stand out a bit more from the crowd noise as well.

Changed the reference to dialnorm in the local thread. I had assumed it was dialnorm related as KPIX runs a difference setting than KNTV does which is set correctly and results in a very dynamic sounding audio experience as opposed to KPIX. This dialnorm setting has been discussed here in the past although I don't recall the particular thread it was in.
Keenan is online now  
post #51 of 91 Old 04-20-2012, 12:11 AM
AVS Special Member
 
videojanitor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 3,113
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Received a response today from Comcast SportsNet Bay Area acknowledging their audio problem. Fortunately, they are aware of it and working to fix it. Here's what they said, reposted by permission:

Quote:
You're absolutely right, there has been a change this year that has negatively affected our audio presentation. Nothing has changed in the way we produce the games at the ballpark; it has to do with the way our new Master Control facility in New Jersey processes their upmix to surround sound. The result has been an unnaturally high level of background sound, which is most noticeable in baseball since there are so many quieter moments.

We have been aware of the issue since Opening Day and are working with our Master Control to fix it. It's taking some time as the equipment and settings involved are quite complex, and we want to make sure we get it right rather than making the problem worse.

Thanks for your patience. Please feel free to contact me directly with any further observations and to pass this response along to any other concerned viewers.

videojanitor is offline  
post #52 of 91 Old 04-20-2012, 11:54 AM
AVS Special Member
 
icemannyr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: NYC Area
Posts: 4,416
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
MLB Network took the score bar off the screen for the 100th Anniversary of Fenway Park Ceremony.
icemannyr is offline  
post #53 of 91 Old 04-21-2012, 11:45 AM
AVS Special Member
 
icemannyr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: NYC Area
Posts: 4,416
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I noticed the score box on WGN is placed to far to the right and to low.

Here's how SNY and WGN, both formatting for 4:3, have there score boxes placed.
icemannyr is offline  
post #54 of 91 Old 04-21-2012, 12:02 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Tom Wellman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 1,058
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by icemannyr View Post

I noticed the score box on WGN is placed to far to the right and to low.

Here's how SNY and WGN, both formatting for 4:3, have there score boxes placed.

Agreed. I like what SNY/WPIX has done with their scorebox for this season, very minimalistic. All we need to do is lobby SNY is to go standard definition widescreen so they can put the scorebox outside the 4:3 safe zone. I doubt WPIX would follow through on this though, but it's much easier for cable network to pull this off than an OTA station (also I'm sure we could do a lobbying effort to CSN for their MLB telecasts as well). Heck even MASN/MASN 2 made the jump to present their standard definition telecasts in widescreen this season.

And the FOUL!
Tom Wellman is offline  
post #55 of 91 Old 04-21-2012, 02:29 PM
AVS Special Member
 
icemannyr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: NYC Area
Posts: 4,416
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I'm really not liking the extra clutter on the MLB on FOX.

The hash tag below the FOX Sports logo is useless and should be removed and score bar is annoying and needs to go.
icemannyr is offline  
post #56 of 91 Old 04-21-2012, 02:33 PM
AVS Special Member
 
videojanitor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 3,113
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
This stuff is really dumb. The part of the screen that we WANT to watch just keeps getting smaller.
videojanitor is offline  
post #57 of 91 Old 04-21-2012, 03:37 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
Keenan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Santa Rosa, CA
Posts: 27,977
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 320
Heck, that's nothing, wait until this comes to your favorite sport,

Will NBA Players Become Billboards?

This,



will no doubt eventually become this,

Keenan is online now  
post #58 of 91 Old 04-22-2012, 10:50 AM
AVS Special Member
 
icemannyr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: NYC Area
Posts: 4,416
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
TBS FiOS TV NYC
TEX @ DET

Whenever the camera pans there are motion artifacts and grain on the grass.
icemannyr is offline  
post #59 of 91 Old 04-22-2012, 12:25 PM
Advanced Member
 
jpr281's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Long Island, N.Y.
Posts: 750
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan View Post

Heck, that's nothing, wait until this comes to your favorite sport,

Will NBA Players Become Billboards?

This,

http://img137.imageshack.us/img137/1...0421153307.gif

will no doubt eventually become this,

http://img802.imageshack.us/img802/7...c61f90bc96.jpg

I wouldn't mind advertisements on professional sports jerseys in the US. It works well in the European soccer leagues.

Now of course, every time a sponsorship changes, fans would be pressured into spending money for a new jersey.
jpr281 is offline  
post #60 of 91 Old 04-22-2012, 03:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Rammitinski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Des Plaines, IL
Posts: 17,437
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpr281 View Post

I wouldn't mind advertisements on professional sports jerseys in the US. It works well in the European soccer leagues.

Speaking purely as a fan, I would.
Rammitinski is offline  
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off