2012 MLB in HDTV - Page 3 - AVS Forum
1  2  3 4 
HDTV Programming > 2012 MLB in HDTV
icemannyr's Avatar icemannyr 10:01 PM 04-25-2012
On highlights of CHWS @ OAK from CSN I noticed the score bar used during the game had doubled in height.

During the Mets game on SNY they were using the smaller single text line score bar.

On SportsNITE they are using the taller score bar.
If all CSNs are going to use this gaint score bar during games that's a big mistake.

Tom Wellman's Avatar Tom Wellman 10:10 PM 04-25-2012
As far as I know CSN Chicago has that particular scorebar. CSN-BA & CSN-CA have the smaller scorebar.
icemannyr's Avatar icemannyr 06:17 PM 04-28-2012
WGN has adjusted the score box moving it higher and to the left.
Old and new placement,

Ken H's Avatar Ken H 06:36 PM 04-28-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by icemannyr View Post

WGN has adjusted the score box moving it higher and to the left.
Old and new placement,

It's still in the 4:3 safe area, but better than before.

The fact WGN HD does such a consistent high quality job with their live sports coverage for both HD image quality and DD audio mix, and is available on most pay providers least expensive tier, makes them an HD sports channel of choice for me. It doesn't hurt that I live in Detroit with no NL MLB teams, which leaves me free to pull for the Cubs.
icemannyr's Avatar icemannyr 06:12 PM 05-19-2012
The annoying twitter junk is still on screen. So #*^&! annoying!
FOX used to be #1 in minimal graphics on screen during pro sports but no more.
Now NBC Sports wins for the least on screen graphics.

zippyfrog's Avatar zippyfrog 09:55 AM 05-20-2012
Quote:

The annoying twitter junk is still on screen. So #*^&! annoying!
FOX used to be #1 in minimal graphics on screen during pro sports but not more.
Now NBC Sports wins for the least on screen graphics.

I feel the exact same way! Once Fox started that bottom line imitation during the NFL last fall, they really took a fall in my book. And it is getting worst as we go along.
Tom Wellman's Avatar Tom Wellman 10:05 AM 05-20-2012
Love my HTC Evo 4G phone & Sony S tablet. I'm able to override the gps location and make the phone/tablet think it is in different locations, thus enabling me to watch any Fox Saturday game and any Padres game while the Fox Sports San Diego dispute are still ongoing. Needless to say I'm "in" Tijuana a lot.
billybobg's Avatar billybobg 05:02 PM 05-20-2012
Quote:

On highlights of CHWS @ OAK from CSN I noticed the score bar used during the game had doubled in height.

During the Mets game on SNY they were using the smaller single text line score bar.

On SportsNITE they are using the taller score bar.
If all CSNs are going to use this gaint score bar during games that's a big mistake.

For me, it's not the graphics per se. It's the framing of the shot that doesn't take it into account. Seems like a no brainer to me, but obviously there is a lack of communications between the producers and the camera jocks.
mp3trojan's Avatar mp3trojan 07:31 PM 05-26-2012
Ok, am I the only one hearing the same screaming little girl or little kid that attended the last few tapings of idol?

Reason I said tapings is due to the fact in the credits of the finale it said "Portions not affecting the outcome have been edited" Anyone notice that?
icemannyr's Avatar icemannyr 11:59 AM 05-27-2012
SNY has mad the score box bigger, updated the graphics and moved the runners on base and the inning number to the right side of the score box.

Keenan's Avatar Keenan 06:19 PM 06-09-2012
It's days like today when I really, really hate this FOX exclusivity window MLB has endowed upon them. It's a beautiful late afternoon in June and I can't watch the team with the best record in baseball, no, because FOX has decided it to be so, I have to watch 2 teams I could not care less about from nearly 3000 miles away.

I guess it's time to grab that Netflix envelope that's been on the coffee table since Thursday.
Tom Wellman's Avatar Tom Wellman 12:40 PM 06-11-2012
Thank goodness for MLB At Bat on Android Devices. I can fake my GPS location into Mexico from San Diego and get all the games, including the games during the Fox and ESPN exclusivity windows.
charlie460's Avatar charlie460 07:24 PM 06-11-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wellman View Post

Thank goodness for MLB At Bat on Android Devices. I can fake my GPS location into Mexico from San Diego and get all the games, including the games during the Fox and ESPN exclusivity windows.

And also that MLB gets the truck feed so there's no ticker even on Fox broadcasts.
sparky7's Avatar sparky7 10:39 AM 06-16-2012
Saw this on Ben's Bargin's today MLB.TV Premium $49.99 for the rest of the season.

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/subscriptions/index.jsp?partnerId=G742DZ1483
Keenan's Avatar Keenan 11:01 AM 06-16-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky7 View Post

Saw this on Ben's Bargin's today MLB.TV Premium $49.99 for the rest of the season.
http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/subscriptions/index.jsp?partnerId=G742DZ1483
That's a pretty good price. I have MLBEI-HD with DirecTV, but an MLB.tv sub would be very handy to have as well.

I had the service once before in the past but I don't recall, is that subscription device specific, or will it work on both a PC and a Sony PS3 with just the 1 subscription?
videojanitor's Avatar videojanitor 11:32 AM 06-16-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan View Post

That's a pretty good price. I have MLBEI-HD with DirecTV, but an MLB.tv sub would be very handy to have as well.
I had the service once before in the past but I don't recall, is that subscription device specific, or will it work on both a PC and a Sony PS3 with just the 1 subscription?

It'll work on multiple devices. I use it on two Apple TVs, an iPad, iPhone, as well as a Mac and PC. When I first signed up, it was just to get away from the audio compression on Comcast SportsNet Bay Area, but I find myself using it even more than MLB/EI. The other night when Matt Cain threw the perfect game, I was at work and didn't set the DVR to record it. No problem -- I watched the whole game on MLB.TV when I got home. There have also been many instances where I have heard about things that happened in a particular game, and it's cool to be able to select that game and watch the events in "real-time" (as opposed to some highlight reel).
Keenan's Avatar Keenan 12:05 PM 06-16-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by videojanitor View Post

It'll work on multiple devices. I use it on two Apple TVs, an iPad, iPhone, as well as a Mac and PC. When I first signed up, it was just to get away from the audio compression on Comcast SportsNet Bay Area, but I find myself using it even more than MLB/EI. The other night when Matt Cain threw the perfect game, I was at work and didn't set the DVR to record it. No problem -- I watched the whole game on MLB.TV when I got home. There have also been many instances where I have heard about things that happened in a particular game, and it's cool to be able to select that game and watch the events in "real-time" (as opposed to some highlight reel).
Excellent, I thought it did but wanted to make sure, thanks!
Tom Wellman's Avatar Tom Wellman 12:47 PM 06-16-2012
Oddly enough, even though it one isn't supposed to do this, I've been able to share my mlb.tv subscription with 3 other people, without any interruption in service. Instead of paying $119.99 for the entire season, I've only paid $30 per season over the last 2 seasons.
Keenan's Avatar Keenan 01:33 PM 06-17-2012
Quote:

When I tried to order it came back as can't process the request at this time. I used the same email as the account I already have with them(AtBat12, but have had the MLB.tv service in the past), should I have used a different email maybe? Haven't tried again yet. It's a gift offer so it asks for a recipient address along with saying they will need to set up an account. Not sure how to proceed...

Got it figured out, the account was actually setup under my existing MLB.com account instead of the "new" account I created for the "gift", works great on the computer, PS3, etc. So know I have MLBEI-HD from DIRECTV, MLB.tv for the PS3, computer and iPhone, and the XM package for the car! Not cheap, but hey, it's baseball! biggrin.gif
LionelLines's Avatar LionelLines 02:30 PM 06-17-2012
Quote:

Got it figured out, the account was actually setup under my existing MLB.com account instead of the "new" account I created for the "gift", works great on the computer, PS3, etc. So know I have MLBEI-HD from DIRECTV, MLB.tv for the PS3, computer and iPhone, and the XM package for the car! Not cheap, but hey, it's baseball! biggrin.gif

And worth EVERY penny!!
icemannyr's Avatar icemannyr 12:37 PM 06-27-2012
Does anyone know why MLB Network can't send out DD 5.1 for MLB games produced in DD 5.1?

Audio is stereo for TOR @ BOS. The NESN graphic said the audio is DD 5.1. The MLBN Produced games have stereo audio.

Seems strange in 2009 a channel would start new and not be able to send out DD 5.1 sound.
icemannyr's Avatar icemannyr 07:20 PM 07-10-2012
All Star Game
WNYW-DT 1 SD Sub Channel FiOS NYC

Getting the usual bad FOX PQ.

Lots of digital artifacts and swimming grass effect on the pitcher batter camera and any wide camera shot.

There's also much more background noise Kauffman Stadium which gets worse when FOX turns up the mic behind home plate during pitches.

The twitter junk below the FOX logo is annoying.

I just don't understand why FOX and WNYW can't fix the picture quality.
bdfox18doe's Avatar bdfox18doe 07:30 PM 07-10-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by icemannyr View Post

All Star Game
WNYW-DT 1 SD Sub Channel FiOS NYC
Getting the usual bad FOX PQ.
Lots of digital artifacts and swimming grass effect on the pitcher batter camera and any wide camera shot.
There's also much more background noise Kauffman Stadium which gets worse when FOX turns up the mic behind home plate during pitches.
The twitter junk below the FOX logo is annoying.
I just don't understand why FOX and WNYW can't fix the picture quality.

Looks very good here in Charlotte on WCCB-DT..13.6 mb/s OTA with MeTv sub and ATSC MH present.
Pic looks very good here. 1/2 stop HOT on certain cameras for me.
As to background noise, that is a "subjective" mix issue.
Not all if us are TWITS and could care less about the annoying hash tag.
charlie460's Avatar charlie460 07:47 PM 07-10-2012
At least there's no ticker...
bdfox18doe's Avatar bdfox18doe 11:07 AM 07-11-2012
Tom Wellman's Avatar Tom Wellman 03:20 PM 07-14-2012
I I don't know if our local Fox affiliate with its 2 subchannels is flexing bandwidth to give more to the main channel, but the NYM/ATL game on KSWB looks rather good. Relatively little video noise and the picture seems to pop out on Time Warner Cable in San Diego.
Tom Wellman's Avatar Tom Wellman 03:50 PM 07-14-2012
I don't know if our local Fox affiliate with its 2 subchannels is flexing bandwidth to give more to the main channel, but the NYM/ATL game on KSWB looks rather good. Relatively little video noise and the picture seems to pop out on Time Warner Cable in San Diego.
humdinger70's Avatar humdinger70 10:31 AM 07-16-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wellman View Post

I don't know if our local Fox affiliate with its 2 subchannels is flexing bandwidth to give more to the main channel, but the NYM/ATL game on KSWB looks rather good. Relatively little video noise and the picture seems to pop out on Time Warner Cable in San Diego.

Enjoy it, because that looks like about the only baseball on the Fox networks we're going to get this season in San Diego. You listening, Fox Sports San Diego? rolleyes.gifmad.gif
Tom Wellman's Avatar Tom Wellman 10:10 AM 07-26-2012
Fortunately a buddy of mine who has Cox and he let me install my Slingbox at his place. Padres crisis averted.
Tom Wellman's Avatar Tom Wellman 10:21 AM 07-26-2012
I noticed that NESN has revamped their scorebox and infographic for stats as recently as last week. Not sure when it was done, but I like it. Now if only NESN could just move the scorebox outside of the 4:3 safe zone. Other than that, I like it, very minimalistic.

1  2  3 4 

Up
Mobile  Desktop