post #361 of 409 Old 08-22-2012, 07:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 276
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

That's a scream. tongue.gif But I couldn't make out exactly what Olivia said right at the very end, her last line. Some help?

"They're listening."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 409 Old 08-22-2012, 07:26 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 399
What is the story on that wonderfully funny Olivia Munn faux movie trailer?
post #363 of 409 Old 08-22-2012, 09:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 237
I'm really enjoying this show but, the one thing that annoys me is how one of the staff members always seems to have a personal connection / relationship to someone involved with every major story they cover. I understand that people at these networks meet a lot of important people and have contacts in many industries but, not personal relationships, right? I just think the show takes it a little to far, from being roomies with the VP to best friends having gone to school with Casey Anthony. Just seems to convenient on the show that someone always seems to raise there hand and say I know so-and-so and everyone else yells "WHAT".

PSN ID: RollTide1017
post #364 of 409 Old 08-22-2012, 10:55 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 35
This just cracked me up. Here is a Tweet from one of the fake Twitter accounts of Jim Harper - NewsroomJim:

"Casey Anthony's probation ends today. Somebody get Lisa on set and have her ramble about abortion! http://t.co/dy8yKTD5"

All opinions expressed (unless otherwise noted) are the posters and NOT the posters employers. The poster in NO WAY is/will speak for his employers.
post #365 of 409 Old 08-22-2012, 11:06 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked: 320
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliens View Post

I had to post this in the Cloud Atlas thread. I thought it was hilarious and appropriate for that thread. smile.gif

Haha! Yes indeed! smile.gif
post #366 of 409 Old 08-22-2012, 02:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked: 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolltide1017 View Post

I'm really enjoying this show but, the one thing that annoys me is how one of the staff members always seems to have a personal connection / relationship to someone involved with every major story they cover. I understand that people at these networks meet a lot of important people and have contacts in many industries but, not personal relationships, right? I just think the show takes it a little to far, from being roomies with the VP to best friends having gone to school with Casey Anthony. Just seems to convenient on the show that someone always seems to raise there hand and say I know so-and-so and everyone else yells "WHAT".

Convenient situations in a TV show get out wink.gifbiggrin.gif
post #367 of 409 Old 08-25-2012, 06:43 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 369
Quote:
Originally Posted by taz291819 View Post

Normally, a network can use another network's clips (a certain amount, specified by the owning network), but they have to mention where it came from, and can't cover the original network's logo. Networks see it as free advertising.
The NFL makes you sign an agreement, and you're only allowed to show 60 seconds (or is it 30?) of any given game. There are a lot more restrictions also, but don't have the agreement sitting in front of me right now.
For am actual news or sports news show, this normally is the case, though even then some events require a payment. For example, the reason you often see stills instead of video on other networks giving Olympics results is because the IOC and NBC charge such high fees to use the footage. Back in the early days of HD, some networks required an extra fee for using HD clips, which is why you'd sometimes see SD on other networks even for HD events. Plus, some rights holders require permission to be received prior to use, often with limitations on use (like time limits).

Even for news coverage, some things vary with the fee attached. For example, if you want to show an image of a sports illustrated cover as part of a news story, there often is little or no fee since it's an "incidental use". However, if you're doing a retrospective piece on an athlete and want to show an SI cover they appeared on, it will cost you a few hundred bucks.

For a fictional TV show or a movie, you almost always have to pay a fee to use a clip and get permission beforehand. Some networks will charge little or nothing, while others have very high fees for useage. The rates are often based on audience size, the length of the clip and how many times it is used.

So, for example, a clip of Letterman on a news show would only require getting permission prior to use and putting a courtesy on the video. For use on a fictional TV show, there would have to be a fee paid, just like with using commercial music.

Likewise, a show like "Inside the NFL", which aired on the same network, would have fewer usage fees for the same material shown on "The Newsroom". The difference is in being a "news" (or semi-news) show and being a fictional drama. It all comes down to the difference between "fair use in reporting a public event" and "use as a vital plot point".
post #368 of 409 Old 08-25-2012, 08:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 541
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

What is the story on that wonderfully funny Olivia Munn faux movie trailer?

Some connection to the guys who made the video, who knows? Not the only famous actor in that piece either (the psychiatrist).

A few years ago when LOST was roaring along as the Best Show on TV (before the last season, obviously), some guys put together a YouTube piece where they played uber-fans who dress up like characters on the show and psyche themselves up to watch it. So they go off to get in "costume". One guy comes back dressed as Hurley. The other guy comes back dressed as Shannon. Only it really was Maggie Grace! I think she had even already left the show by that time (her character got killed off). She must have known those guys or been friends with them or something. Anyway, she was a good sport to agree to do it and the vid was absolutely hi-larious. biggrin.gif
post #369 of 409 Old 08-25-2012, 10:03 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Some connection to the guys who made the video, who knows? Not the only famous actor in that piece either (the psychiatrist).
A few years ago when LOST was roaring along as the Best Show on TV (before the last season, obviously), some guys put together a YouTube piece where they played uber-fans who dress up like characters on the show and psyche themselves up to watch it. So they go off to get in "costume". One guy comes back dressed as Hurley. The other guy comes back dressed as Shannon. Only it really was Maggie Grace! I think she had even already left the show by that time (her character got killed off). She must have known those guys or been friends with them or something. Anyway, she was a good sport to agree to do it and the vid was absolutely hi-larious. biggrin.gif
I think it's all part of her geek/nerd girl character, apparently she's a bit of a geek queen stemming from her own interest in technology and hosting shows like G4's Attack of the Show. Her stint on The Newsroom is just a very small fraction of her work, she quite talented in various aspects of entertainment and more. She's hardly just another pretty face.

Below is a picture of her as Princess Leia at Comic-Con, the ultimate geek/nerd girlfriend!

A couple of quotes from her IMDb listing:
Quote:
I'm easy to hate. I get it. When I first came to L.A., I would go to these commercial auditions for Target. I'm 110 pounds now, but I used to be 135. And I would go to these auditions and these girls would be, like, in that effortless L.A. look: T-shirt, jeans and flats. So thin they'd just walk with a shuffle. I know what it's like to not think it's fair for someone to look a certain way and also get the dream job. But it's ridiculous to say that a woman can't be funny and also be sexy.

The word "geek" today does not mean what it used to mean. A geek isn't the skinny kid with a pocket protector and acne. There can be computer geeks, video game geeks, car geeks, military geeks, and sports geeks. Being a geek just means that you're passionate about something.
post #370 of 409 Old 08-26-2012, 03:03 PM
AVS Club Gold

TV Notes
It's Who You Know: Predicting How 'The Newsroom' Will Get Its Next Scoop
From NPR - August 26, 2012
by Marc Hirsh

Jeff Daniels as Will McAvoy on HBO's The Newsroom knows people who know people, fortunately for him.

If there's one thing that HBO's The Newsroom is especially good at, it's portraying journalists who aren't especially good at journalism.

Well, maybe that's not fair. The fact is, they haven't had much opportunity to engage in journalism, since every major story that's come their way has been cracked not through know-how, persistence and telephonic grunt work but through the fortuitous involvement of people with whom the fictional News Night staffers happen to already be good buddies.

Apparently, journalism is all about who you know, rather than how you go about knowing it. The most recent episode ("The Blackout, Part II: Mock Debate") took this trend to eye-rollingly ridiculous extremes by revealing that Lisa Lambert, roommate to associate producer Maggie Jordan and conflicted romantic target of producer Jim Harper, just so happened to have gone to high school with (real-life) infanticide defendant Casey Anthony. This narrowly edged out the time anchor Will McAvoy could have been the first to break the story about the Seal Team Six raid on Osama Bin Laden's compound if only he'd checked an email from his golf buddy Joe Biden.

So as the show's first season galumphs to a halt with Sunday's upcoming finale, we wonder: What other unlikely relationships with folks embedded in the big stories of the past year will the characters on The Newsroom exploit in the episodes and seasons to come? Some predictions follow.

1. July 9, 2011: South Sudan secedes from Sudan to become an independent nation. Jim's erstwhile globetrotting ways had given him the opportunity to "touch up" an early draft of South Sudan's constitution to "give it a little more zazz."

2. Fall 2011-Winter 2012: Occupy Wall Street is born. Back in college, Maggie was the star student of famed social-movements scholar Johann Occupy.

3. February 6, 2012: Queen Elizabeth II celebrates her Diamond Jubilee. Executive producer MacKenzie McHale once served as an apprentice to the Queen's corgi wrangler.

4. February 11, 2012: Whitney Houston dies. Will's bodyguard Lonny Church was the studio drum tech during the recording of "My Love Is Your Love."

5. February 29, 2012: The Rush Limbaugh/Sandra Fluke birth-control flap. Blogger Neal Sampat once had a meet-cute with Fluke that they ruined by constantly pointing out that it was like living in a typical rom-com. (They remain Facebook friends.)

6. March 13, 2012: The Encyclopaedia Britannica discontinues its print edition. Producer Gary Cooper comes from a long line of encyclopedia salesmen. (Also offers Will the opportunity to deliver a blistering Sorkinian editorial about the sanctity of reference books qua books.)

7. Spring-Summer 2012: Charles G. and David H. Koch become ever more financially invested in the 2012 presidential election. During an all-staff meeting, ACN news president Charlie Skinner sheepishly reveals that he can get a News Night scoop on the elusive Koch brothers, being the secret fifth Koch brother himself.

8. May 9, 2012: President Obama announces his support for same-sex marriage. Booker Kendra James has an uncle in the Secret Service who has surreptitiously whispered "Come out in favor of marriage equality... come out in favor of marriage equality..." nightly into the President's ear as he slept.

9. June 28, 2012: Chief Justice John Roberts casts the deciding vote on health care. When ACN economist Sloan Sabbith was a Girl Scout, she was the Chief Justice's Samoas connection for four years running. (Only ever Samoas, for some reason.)

10. July 4, 2012: The Large Hadron Collider discovers what may be the elusive Higgs boson. Will's therapist Dr. Jack Habib once yelled at physicist Peter Higgs for not picking up after his dog in Central Park.

11. Summer 2012: Record drought and wildfires across the United States. ACN anchor Elliot Hirsch's first press job was as an environmental affairs intern at Ranger Rick magazine.

12. August 6, 2012: The Curiosity rover successfully lands on Mars. Producer Don Keefer and mohawked Curiosity Flight Director Bobak Ferdowsi once accidentally picked up each other's bags at the airport, had a good laugh once they untangled the mess a couple of days later.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/monkeysee/2012/08/26/159994780/its-who-you-know-predicting-how-the-newsroom-will-get-its-next-scoop?sc=nl&cc=msb-20120826
post #371 of 409 Old 08-26-2012, 05:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 47
She looks good wet too:

Loved the door closing montage in Ghost Tits(the above gif proves that those babies are no apparition):

post #372 of 409 Old 08-26-2012, 09:20 PM
AVS Special Member

What a wonderful finale. Perfect timing on the voter registration portion. Loved the meeting they had with Leona. Really satisfying ending to what was a pretty up and down ride at first, but then settled into a consistently high quality run from episode 4 onward. I'm definitely on board for next season.
post #373 of 409 Old 08-27-2012, 08:47 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 30
I enjoyed the finale. I'm surprised there wasn't something of a firestorm in the media, with Sorkin directly comparing the Taliban to the Tea Party.
I wonder if Tea Party bashing will be the theme next season? Is there a next season? I missed it if that's been confirmed already.
post #374 of 409 Old 08-27-2012, 10:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyehill View Post

What a wonderful finale. Perfect timing on the voter registration portion. Loved the meeting they had with Leona. Really satisfying ending to what was a pretty up and down ride at first, but then settled into a consistently high quality run from episode 4 onward. I'm definitely on board for next season.

I'm about half and half on it. The romcom stuff is really cringeworthy to me. Poorly written and executed. So here you have a newsreport that I would have loved to see the whole thing and it is interrupted by the Maggie/Don/Lisa/Jim cluster com. The only thing interesting in that was Sloan's part in it.

Jerry. Just remember. Its not a lie . . . if you believe it. GC
post #375 of 409 Old 08-27-2012, 11:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 39
I really enjoyed the finale, although I try not to let the fact that I'm completely in sync with Sorkin's worldview color my impression of it. But, it WAS so great to hear an intelligent articulation of almost every gripe I have about the state of politics today; Will's on-camera monologue was just fantastic. And I agree that although the soap stuff could be better done, he's left enough threads dangling there to bring us back when season 2 begins.
post #376 of 409 Old 08-27-2012, 12:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jandron View Post

I really enjoyed the finale, although I try not to let the fact that I'm completely in sync with Sorkin's worldview color my impression of it. But, it WAS so great to hear an intelligent articulation of almost every gripe I have about the state of politics today; Will's on-camera monologue was just fantastic. And I agree that although the soap stuff could be better done, he's left enough threads dangling there to bring us back when season 2 begins.

That's the thing, I'm not in sync with Sorkin's world view, but what he's putting forward here, especially in the finale, is impossible to argue with. Those people said those things. Those people believe those things. Positioning their words up against the quotes from the Founding Fathers was absolutely brilliant. The Baba Oreilly montage was great TV. And for once the relationship stuff was actually good. The Sex in the City bus portion was really touching, and really funny. I was expecting the show to go full-on-stupid and end with a murder-attempt against Will, but they surprised me and didn't do anything sensational, which oddly enough makes me want to see Season 2 even more.
post #377 of 409 Old 08-27-2012, 01:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Politcs/shmolitix, if Olivia Munn told me she wasn't dating because she was waiting to ask me out, Allison Pill gets thrown under the bus eek.gif.

I don't lurk as much as I used to and I NEVER listen. Comes from being old and cynical.

post #378 of 409 Old 08-27-2012, 01:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 198
Allison Pill should get thrown under the bus regardless. One of my gripes with Sorkin is his tendency to write neurotic characters. This one is true to form and exceedingly irritating. Mackenzie is only slightly better.
post #379 of 409 Old 08-27-2012, 03:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Will: "Ask me your idiot question again."

Jenny: "What makes America the greatest country in the world?"

Will: "You do."

Oh, Sorkin. You got me. Great episode. The romance stuff was actually handled pretty well too. Allison Pill could've totally bombed that Sex and the City thing, but she didn't.
post #380 of 409 Old 08-27-2012, 05:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by URFloorMatt View Post

Will: "Ask me your idiot question again."
Jenny: "What makes America the greatest country in the world?"
Will: "You do."
Oh, Sorkin. You got me. Great episode. The romance stuff was actually handled pretty well too. Allison Pill could've totally bombed that Sex and the City thing, but she didn't.

It was also great when Makenzie was trying to prevent Jim and Maggie from becoming her and Will. Finally an episode where they nailed the political stuff perfectly and the relationship stuff.
post #381 of 409 Old 08-27-2012, 07:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 399
Quote:

That's the thing, I'm not in sync with Sorkin's world view, but what he's putting forward here, especially in the finale, is impossible to argue with. Those people said those things. Those people believe those things. Positioning their words up against the quotes from the Founding Fathers was absolutely brilliant. The Baba Oreilly montage was great TV. And for once the relationship stuff was actually good. The Sex in the City bus portion was really touching, and really funny. I was expecting the show to go full-on-stupid and end with a murder-attempt against Will, but they surprised me and didn't do anything sensational, which oddly enough makes me want to see Season 2 even more.
I'm not in sync with Sorkin's world view, either. Much of his political stuff is wrongheaded and biased, it seems to me, but he somehow leavens the silly stuff with enough sound observations to keep me watching. What's best about The Newsroom, though, is Sorkin's crackling dialog and his clear delineation of characters. For example, poor Jim and Maggie's social ineptness seems to doom them to unhappiness. Mac is another matter, though, Lord, I love the girl and wish that Will would dismount from his high horse and grab her before it's too late. I have come to like Sloan a lot, too, and hope that Don will have the wit to grab her. What Sloan said to Don about why he was asking Maggie to move in with him moved me and I hope that it had an effect on Don too.

I loved the scene where Charlie conned Leona's son, Reese, into confessing that he had hacked Will's email account. If there was ever a weak, sleazoid, rich woman's son who deserved to be brought down, it was Reese. Great television! I'm already ready for next season.
post #382 of 409 Old 08-27-2012, 09:32 PM

Liked: 10
Here's a poll to keep the thread alive and guessing about next season!

If the Newsroom compares the Tea party to the Taliban this year what will they compare the Occupy Wall Street movement next season?

Sorkin cannot use the Tea Party, it is already taken, so I am guessing the Viet Nam protest movement

Just my take

Greg
post #383 of 409 Old 08-28-2012, 05:54 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankee14 View Post

Here's a poll to keep the thread alive and guessing about next season!
If the Newsroom compares the Tea party to the Taliban this year what will they compare the Occupy Wall Street movement next season?
Sorkin cannot use the Tea Party, it is already taken, so I am guessing the Viet Nam protest movement
Just my take
Greg

Ummm, the show is set about 40 years too late for Vietnam, although Walter Cronkite's famous post-Tet report to the American people clearly served as an inspiration for Will McAvoy. And the Tea Party leaves no shortage of appropriate material for future shows. They're still with us.

And "agree with his worldview" or not, Sorkin is calling a spade a spade. Using actual video clips from those very people saying those very things is a powerful tool. It's all there, recorded in real time in full color. He's not making any of it up, after all. One may find oneself wishing this show was on a broadcast net, a la The West Wing, so it would reach a larger audience. But then it'd be probably be boycotted, shunned by advertisers, and canceled in short order. Leona's right about that, at least.
post #384 of 409 Old 08-28-2012, 06:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Ummm, the show is set about 40 years too late for Vietnam, although Walter Cronkite's famous post-Tet report to the American people clearly served as an inspiration for Will McAvoy. And the Tea Party leaves no shortage of appropriate material for future shows. They're still with us.
And "agree with his worldview" or not, Sorkin is calling a spade a spade. Using actual video clips from those very people saying those very things is a powerful tool. It's all there, recorded in real time in full color. He's not making any of it up, after all. One may find oneself wishing this show was on a broadcast net, a la The West Wing, so it would reach a larger audience. But then it'd be probably be boycotted, shunned by advertisers, and canceled in short order. Leona's right about that, at least.

This is why the finale was so powerful. He didn't grab quotes out of context. He simply highlighted real quotes, stating their real honest beliefs, and then positioned them next to actual quotes from the Founding Fathers that are at complete odds with what these people are espousing. It was wonderfully constructed, whether you agree with him or not. Putting hypocrisy on display is very satisfying, as was the scene where they got Reese to confess without any actual evidence.
post #385 of 409 Old 08-28-2012, 07:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankee14 View Post

There is a very small number of people say they are "Occupy" people. The number who say they are Tea Party is equal to the number of people who identify with Democrats and Republicans ( approx 22%). To call that large of a group "Taliban" like IMHO is not smart. That group along with the Independents will decide this election, not the Democrats, not the Republicans. Sorkin completely ignores that reality.

I submit that Will is not a Republican, nor a RINO. He is a Libertarian. And he rants in the same vein against the Republicans as Glenn Beck. I know that is not what Sorkin is shooing for, but that is how Will comes off. Someone who USED to be a Republican, but is now farther left than Republicans and doesn't like how the Party is operating. I completely get it. I feel the same way about the Democrat Party. I grew up in the Democrat Party, but the Democrats of today are farther left than I am. I am not Libertarian, but these days, I am closer to that than I am the Democrat Party. I think that is the type of cord Sorkin is trying to hit without saying it. Many things that come out of Will's mouth is very left leaning, not Moderate.

I wouldn't be surprised if this show runs its full course that Will doesn't completely change ideology. He is headed in that direction and moving quickly.

All opinions expressed (unless otherwise noted) are the posters and NOT the posters employers. The poster in NO WAY is/will speak for his employers.
post #386 of 409 Old 08-28-2012, 07:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxeng View Post

There is a very small number of people say they are "Occupy" people. The number who say they are Tea Party is equal to the number of people who identify with Democrats and Republicans ( approx 22%). To call that large of a group "Taliban" like IMHO is not smart. That group along with the Independents will decide this election, not the Democrats, not the Republicans. Sorkin completely ignores that reality.

Which crevice are you pulling your numbers from? Republicans = 33 percent. Dems = 39. Tea Party = 20. Last I checked, 33 and 39 were higher than 20.
post #387 of 409 Old 08-28-2012, 07:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxeng View Post

I submit that Will is not a Republican, nor a RINO. He is a Libertarian. And he rants in the same vein against the Republicans as Glenn Beck. I know that is not what Sorkin is shooing for, but that is how Will comes off. Someone who USED to be a Republican, but is now farther left than Republicans and doesn't like how the Party is operating. I completely get it. I feel the same way about the Democrat Party. I grew up in the Democrat Party, but the Democrats of today are farther left than I am. I am not Libertarian, but these days, I am closer to that than I am the Democrat Party. I think that is the type of cord Sorkin is trying to hit without saying it. Many things that come out of Will's mouth is very left leaning, not Moderate.
I wouldn't be surprised if this show runs its full course that Will doesn't completely change ideology. He is headed in that direction and moving quickly.

Quote:

Which crevice are you pulling your numbers from? Republicans = 33 percent. Dems = 39. Tea Party = 20. Last I checked, 33 and 39 were higher than 20.

The other question is whether the Republican and Tea Party identifiers are mutually exclusive or overlap.

Jerry. Just remember. Its not a lie . . . if you believe it. GC
post #388 of 409 Old 08-28-2012, 08:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daryl zero View Post

The other question is whether the Republican and Tea Party identifiers are mutually exclusive or overlap.

They overlap in a huge way.
post #389 of 409 Old 08-28-2012, 08:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 48
For all political purposes, the Tea Party is the extreme-right, no-compromise, biblically-obsessed wing of the Republican party. It's funders, candidates and benefactors are Republicans. Walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, ...
post #390 of 409 Old 08-28-2012, 08:47 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raaj View Post

For all political purposes, the Tea Party is the extreme-right, no-compromise, biblically-obsessed wing of the Republican party. It's funders, candidates and benefactors are Republicans. Walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, ...

That's true - all Tea Partiers are registered Republicans, nearly 100% overlap from every survey or poll I've seen. There is really no equivalent to the Tea Party on the political left. The Occupy movement has a legitimate cause (IMO), but it also has no central direction, no clear focus, adopted the wrong tactics, and has statistically negligible membership. There were no Koch brothers funding it. They can't be compared to the Tea Party in any meaningful way.

That said, I would be surprised if the Occupiers won't occupy at least one episode of 'Newsroom' next season.
Closed Thread HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page