America's Got Talent Season 7 May 14th, 2012 - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 446 Old 08-22-2012, 11:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 179
I liked the opera singer the best, the rest, not so much.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 446 Old 08-22-2012, 12:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by tighr View Post

I agree about Horse. When you put in the perspective Howard put it in, that actually makes sense: Which act is America going to fast forward through on the DVR? It certainly wasn't Horse. I also agree with the comment by Jarod, that Horse continues to evolve the basic concept of getting kicked in the nuts each time he performs. I was initially down on him, but the more I think about it he actually has more showmanship in his one gimmick than most of the other performers have in their entire acts, combined! Gotta give the guy credit for continuing to come back and up the ante.

Horse is the LAST act of the bunch I'd pay $$ for to see in Vegas. [Hell, any good gang fight has that and more, and is FREE! wink.gif ] The fact that Howard chose to participate in it just proves what I've said from the beginning: This is an entertainment show, NOT a talent show.
post #363 of 446 Old 08-22-2012, 10:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 64
You gotta be kidding me. Way to vote, Amurrrica.

~Tighr: Not helping the situation since 1983

post #364 of 446 Old 08-23-2012, 04:03 AM
Thread Ender

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Are the (singing) contestants on the show allowed to use auto-tune devices like the guest performers do? rolleyes.gif

Don't ever make the MISTAKE of buying a Samsung TV..
They consider
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

normal on a two month old set..
post #365 of 446 Old 08-23-2012, 05:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 307
1-3. Only one correctly picked, according to America, All That, and the judges picked them. I picked a bad time to quit snorting cocaine, smoking marijuana, popping uppers, binge drinking, and sniffing glue, because I saw and heard a completely different show than the rest of America.

The accolades the judges were spewing the entire night was so over-the-top sickening it was ridiculous. And these were the losers! Nothing like promoting your show to the extreme.

I didn’t find anything special with either of the singers (the winners). Actually, I thought they were very poor. The talking dog was a late scratch for me because I decided the magic act, crossbow guy, and drown me in cement guy, provided more tension and excitement. I laughed a lot during the dog routine and thought it was very good, but I didn’t think America would, like usual, pass an animal act much further.

I don’t get the excitement for Horse. I was bored. I don’t care how many ways or times you get hit in the nuts it does nothing for me. Like I’ll spend money to watch a guy do that for 90 minutes. And then you have his fake, “I’m in pain,” look. Yeah, its part of the amazing act. rolleyes.gif He looks like he is dying and then runs to another ball busting routine minus the look. I’d rather watch grass grow.

Nothing has change for me. In no particular order, these are still my top 5. At this point I can’t get down to 4.

William Close
Tom Cotter
Tim Hockenberry
Joe Castillo
Shanice

I’m looking forward to next week because it will be a very difficult night of picking winners.
post #366 of 446 Old 08-23-2012, 06:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 95
I think they putting all your favorites on the same night according to Nick (they already decided before we got the final 2 semifinalists)

One thing I will not pay to see some guys dance, I'll pay to see Lindsay dance in a flash.. (can she marry me please?) LOL

Unbreak my heart in spanish is operah? wow I didn't know that..

RIP Mom, we always love you 8/18/13
post #367 of 446 Old 08-23-2012, 08:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliens View Post

1-3. Only one correctly picked, according to America, All That, and the judges picked them. I picked a bad time to quit snorting cocaine, smoking marijuana, popping uppers, binge drinking, and sniffing glue, because I saw and heard a completely different show than the rest of America.
The accolades the judges were spewing the entire night was so over-the-top sickening it was ridiculous. And these were the losers! Nothing like promoting your show to the extreme.
I didn’t find anything special with either of the singers (the winners). Actually, I thought they were very poor. The talking dog was a late scratch for me because I decided the magic act, crossbow guy, and drown me in cement guy, provided more tension and excitement. I laughed a lot during the dog routine and thought it was very good, but I didn’t think America would, like usual, pass an animal act much further.
I don’t get the excitement for Horse. I was bored. I don’t care how many ways or times you get hit in the nuts it does nothing for me. Like I’ll spend money to watch a guy do that for 90 minutes. And then you have his fake, “I’m in pain,” look. Yeah, its part of the amazing act. rolleyes.gif He looks like he is dying and then runs to another ball busting routine minus the look. I’d rather watch grass grow.
Nothing has change for me. In no particular order, these are still my top 5. At this point I can’t get down to 4.
William Close
Tom Cotter
Tim Hockenberry
Joe Castillo
Shanice
I’m looking forward to next week because it will be a very difficult night of picking winners.
Odd that you would use the word "fake" in describing Horse, considering he is the most real of any of them (ok, the balancing guys were pretty real too). He's the only one who draws blood. He was practically knocked out previously. If that was fake, then he is one helluva actor, and they must be using fake wood. Meanwhile, people are impressed by a guy who unlocks padlocks? And it is obvious that he has much more time than he needs. The magic act did a trick that wasn't much different from what they did before with the orchestra. The crossbow guy left nothing to chance-it was all calibrated beforehand, and the apple wasn't even on his head! The guy with the dog spewed jokes a ten year old could write. This night made it obvious that all of these acts have nothing impressive left to reveal.
post #368 of 446 Old 08-23-2012, 08:21 AM
AVS Special Member

And I agree what they commented on the show that Howard brought arrow guy back to see the hot chick he's with... and I was surprise he didn't vote for the hot chick dancer and went with the tap guys..

post #369 of 446 Old 08-23-2012, 08:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked: 617
Not taking away anything from Horse as far as his "talent" goes, let's keep in mind that Howard has repeatedly said since the start of the season that he's there to pick a Million Dollar Vegas Act ..

All That! is not all that .. in fact, they have a shot at a warm up act in Branson, but I don't think Vegas is in the cards .. or the clogs ..

Lindsey Norton could not sustain a Vegas show alone, either .. but if a falsetto singing Goth wanna be Opera star can get put thru that's only sung in the bathroom up until now, it's a shame that a young woman like Lindsey that has obviously worked tirelessly to perfect her art goes home ..

I'm going to strap a fake chin on my pet monkey and steal a few jokes here and there from Don Rickles and Rodney Dangerfield ..

Last, but certainly not least, I'll take the Mexican Variety Platter and a margarita on ice .. and could you please ask that mariachi to move to another table .. ??

Uncle Willie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #370 of 446 Old 08-23-2012, 08:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 16
That magic act was terrible. Even in real-time (no slow-mo) on first viewing I could see the "piano player's" (obviously a fake piano prop) legs as he exited the back of the platform while the other guy was spray-painting "fragile" on the box (an incredibly obvious misdirection attempt).
post #371 of 446 Old 08-23-2012, 09:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarod M View Post

Odd that you would use the word "fake" in describing Horse...

His expression, (board to the face was real) not his act. Read it again.
post #372 of 446 Old 08-23-2012, 11:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post

Let's keep in mind that Howard has repeatedly said since the start of the season that he's there to pick a Million Dollar Vegas Act ..
All That! is not all that .. in fact, they have a shot at a warm up act in Branson, but I don't think Vegas is in the cards .. or the clogs ..
Lindsey Norton could not sustain a Vegas show alone, either ..
Not to disparage Howard, but he wasn't left with much choice. The judges are only able to pick between the 4th and 5th place finishers. Howard straight up said he would have rather picked Jarrett and Raja over All That! and Lindsey. You could tell that he almost didn't care which act won between the two of them, because he believes both will probably be eliminated in the semi-finals anyway.

post #373 of 446 Old 08-23-2012, 11:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Not to disparage Howard, but he wasn't left with much choice.

Not only Howard, but also those of us who try and pick winners aren’t given any options other than what we are presented. They all may suck, but we still have to pick four.

I think that leaves us with 4 more shows. Two weeks to get to the final 8. Final 8 week. Final 4 winner, September 19th.
post #374 of 446 Old 08-23-2012, 11:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliens View Post

I think that leaves us with 4 more shows. Two weeks to get to the final 8. Final 8 week. Final 4 winner, September 19th.

Thank God ..

Uncle Willie

: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #375 of 446 Old 08-23-2012, 04:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
I can easily see All That as a Vegas act, but not in a 90 second window. I have been to a dinner theater that was based upon an Irish dance troup that was fantasic! Part Broadway play, part singing, lots of dancing, and a compelling story. Obviously, there would be other performers incorporated into the act, but such an act could easily captivate an audience for a Vegas show.
post #376 of 446 Old 08-23-2012, 07:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viventis View Post

I can easily see All That as a Vegas act, but not in a 90 second window. I have been to a dinner theater that was based upon an Irish dance troup that was fantasic! Part Broadway play, part singing, lots of dancing, and a compelling story. Obviously, there would be other performers incorporated into the act, but such an act could easily captivate an audience for a Vegas show.
If Vegas wanted All That, wouldn't they have signed them after their 3rd place finish on the first season of AGT?
post #377 of 446 Old 08-24-2012, 06:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viventis View Post

Really .. ?? Riverdance goes Clogging ..

Uncle Willie

post #378 of 446 Old 08-28-2012, 10:29 PM
AVS Special Member

It's a crime that only three get through, this was a very talented night.

Andrew de Leon - I don't think he sold it. I know he's everyone's favorite, but I just don't see it. He needs training. With training, he could be fantastic, but I just don't think this is his to win.
Todd Oliver - He did great, its still one liners, and his ventriloquism is spot on. Not enough to be top 3.
Donovan and Rebecca - These two are absolutely fantastic. They will be successful, I have absolutely no doubt about that.
Edon - I think he didn't sell it. I disagree with Howie's assessment of Edon as the best singer in the competition; Bria Kelly outsang him tonight, and she's not advancing, either.
The Scott Brothers - I am absolutely on board with the judges here: the hat trick from last time blew me away, and I didn't see anything like it tonight. They're capable, but showed us nothing amazing.
Dittelman - The only way that trick could have been more impressive is if he predicted Howard screwing up and using the same marker for the horns and the goatee... otherwise, I have no idea how he did that. None! Amazing. It wasn't as "showy" as the Deal or No Deal sketch, but it was still impressive nonetheless.
Turf - Turf is my pick to advance. He is phenomenal, and I loved how he incorporated dance into his act this time around. The way he moves is completely fluid. I almost wished the judges would have made a comparison between him and Lindsey Norton, because as graceful as she is, what he did tonight was beautiful. Each move flowed into the next.
Bria Kelly - As I stated earlier, she outsang Edon. As far as using the stage like she did last time, this time she didn't. She stood there, and it cost her. She needed to own that song and show the emotion. But she will also be extremely successful in her career, and she's so young that she can bounce back from a loss here.
Joe Castillo - His art is amazing, but I think what Howard was trying to say is that this is the third time in a row that his message comes across preachy... Amazing talent, though.
William Close - He's probably an automatic qualifier, so I won't vote for him. I want to give someone else a chance, because he doesn't need this competition to validate his talent. I did want to see more out of him, though.
Tom Cotter - Nice bit with the pre-selected topics, but it's obvious that he had 90 seconds of material for each topic. Howard even proved that by testing him. The jokes were very very funny, and he was obviously well prepared. Comedians are harmed on this show by having to limit their content to 90 seconds.
Academy of Villains - Another act harmed by the 90 second time limit. You get the sense that there is so much more for them to show us, and after 90 seconds the music stops. Like last week for example: Bohemian Rhapsody is a six minute song, and I'm sure they have choreography for the entire six minute set. They did great, but is it enough to win?

Great night of talent, I'm voting for Turf, Dittelman, and Donovan and Rebecca. There are other acts that deserve to advance, but we can only get three. What will America decide?

post #379 of 446 Old 08-29-2012, 04:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Excellent night of talent, wow, I can't call the top 3, it is going to be a shame for some of these acts to go.

post #380 of 446 Old 08-29-2012, 07:41 AM
AVS Special Member

My guess on Dittelman's act: he had several color schemes on the middle canvas, it's a scrolling canvas, so while he "distracted America" he remote control switched to the canvas to match Howard's color, only explanation I got.. Remember he could see what colors Howard chose at the end, if he didn't then it would have been amazing..

post #381 of 446 Old 08-29-2012, 08:29 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLar View Post

My guess on Dittelman's act: he had several color schemes on the middle canvas, it's a scrolling canvas, so while he "distracted America" he remote control switched to the canvas to match Howard's color, only explanation I got.. Remember he could see what colors Howard chose at the end, if he didn't then it would have been amazing..
That could be it. I figured the geometric shape bit was a distraction. Still, much harder to figure out than the deal or no deal bit, it was obvious that he opened the last case from the other side.
post #382 of 446 Old 08-29-2012, 09:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Way easier is, if you watch it again, he tells howard to pick up a color, Howard does, and then Ditleman takes a pause and says, ok color in the horns. Someone is telling Dittleman what color howard picked up (via an earpiece) and thus he knows the horns are orange so when he picks up orange he tells him to color the horns orange because that is what he originally colored them. This way he only needs one painting on the canvas. He clearly has a pause when Howard picks the pen up.

post #383 of 446 Old 08-29-2012, 11:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post

Excellent night of talent, wow, I can't call the top 3, it is going to be a shame for some of these acts to go.
Agreed. I was thinking the talent this year was kinda weak, but last night I was very impressed with most of them.

But I gotta think next week is going to be a letdown the way the acts were divided. I sure hope there are 3 acts worthy of moving on.
post #384 of 446 Old 08-29-2012, 01:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Way easier is, if you watch it again, he tells howard to pick up a color, Howard does, and then Ditleman takes a pause and says, ok color in the horns. Someone is telling Dittleman what color howard picked up (via an earpiece) and thus he knows the horns are orange so when he picks up orange he tells him to color the horns orange because that is what he originally colored them. This way he only needs one painting on the canvas. He clearly has a pause when Howard picks the pen up.

Yeah, but if it is earpiece this is the cheapest most dishonest mind read trick in the book IMO... the accomplice could also be in the audience and yells a keyword or some kind of whistle if the producers screened him for an earpiece

post #385 of 446 Old 08-29-2012, 02:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

the accomplice could also be in the audience and yells a keyword or some kind of whistle if the producers screened him for an earpiece
Why would they bother to do that? It's understood to be a legitimate "trick", not a bonafide psychic reading. I would not think less of Dittelman if I knew he used an earpiece.

post #386 of 446 Old 08-29-2012, 08:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Why would they bother to do that? It's understood to be a legitimate "trick", not a bonafide psychic reading. I would not think less of Dittelman if I knew he used an earpiece.
It's a hacky trick. Any time earpieces/fake audience members, etc. are used, it is a huge cheat. Evidently people weren't that impressed by the trick, because he is now going home.
post #387 of 446 Old 08-30-2012, 05:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yeah, but if it is earpiece this is the cheapest most dishonest mind read trick in the book IMO... the accomplice could also be in the audience and yells a keyword or some kind of whistle if the producers screened him for an earpiece

If you watch it again, Howard picks up the color and holds it up so everyone can see it, he was told ahead of time to either do this or was in on the trick. No reason to hold the pen up like that and pause there. He does it for each one picked up.

post #388 of 446 Old 08-30-2012, 08:03 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

my take

Andrew de Leon - falsetto singing contact lens returns to the closet .. yea ..
Todd Oliver - nice guy, should get some work out of this .. he needs an agent
Donovan and Rebecca - cirque du soleil will come calling
Edon - he was not fully on pitch throughout, America called it right ..
The Scott Brothers - Hat Trick was amazing / they shot themselves in the foot this week
Dittelman - I never really understood the continued love of his tricks .. we all know minds can't be read .. his audition was the best ..
Turf - nice guy, works hard, cirque du soleil will come calling
Bria Kelly - did a good job, we may see her on another talent show, who knows .. otherwise, she's just another singer
Joe Castillo - I like Joe .. with simple and inexpensive props, he creates a message .. it's cool to watch .. Vegas act, no
William Close - likely will take the win ..
Tom Cotter - has his act down .. thinks on his feet, funny .. second place
Academy of Villains - we've seen better on AGT

Uncle Willie

post #389 of 446 Old 08-30-2012, 08:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

If you watch it again, Howard picks up the color and holds it up so everyone can see it, he was told ahead of time to either do this or was in on the trick. No reason to hold the pen up like that and pause there. He does it for each one picked up.
Not the way I saw it. Howard had to wait to be told what part of the picture to color in. Howard obviously knew that the color differences would be important to the trick, so he was playing along with it. Otherwise, he just stands there like a statue during Dittleman's LONG pause each time.

Plus, if Howard was in on the trick, he wouldn't have screwed up by using the Magenta on both the horns and the chin.
post #390 of 446 Old 08-30-2012, 08:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Diddleman's color on Howards goatee did not match ..

Uncle Willie

Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page