America's Got Talent Season 7 May 14th, 2012 - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 446 Old 04-13-2012, 08:15 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked: 621
As mentioned previously, Stern has mellowed with age .. I guess a lot of folks still remember him from the "KIng of All Media" days ..

Uncle Willie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 446 Old 04-13-2012, 08:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post

As mentioned previously, Stern has mellowed with age .. I guess a lot of folks still remember him from the "KIng of All Media" days ..

He still calls himself that.
He is a great interviewer, it's amazing some of the things he gets out of people.
post #33 of 446 Old 04-13-2012, 08:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:

That is the Howard Stern I remember.

MY EQUIPMENT
Sony HDTV KDL-46HX750
Denon AVR 1912
DirecTV HD DVR HR24 & AM21N OTA Receiver
Panasonic HD DVD DMP-BD65 & Toshiba HD DVR A20
Infinity Alpha Series Speakers - 50's (2), 20's (2), 10's (2), 37c (1) & Velodyne Subwoofer
Panamax M4300-PM Power Center
Monoprice Cables & Harmony One Remote
post #34 of 446 Old 04-13-2012, 08:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by David James View Post

I've watched the show since it's inception, however with the addition of Stern I'm taking a break. I'm disappointed the show decided to go in that direction.

Do you really think that Stern will have a role that much different than Piers?
post #35 of 446 Old 04-13-2012, 09:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tighr View Post

I don't know if you have Sirius, but if you do, maybe try tuning in one day sometime. He's really much more tame today than he was 10 years ago. His show isn't even really that outrageous, especially compared to some of the other radio shows Sirius offers.

Actually the show does have WAY too much swearing/obscenity, though hardly any comes from Stern. He tried to check that when he first arrived at Sirius, but allowing airtime for characters like Debbie doesn't help matters.
post #36 of 446 Old 04-13-2012, 09:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliens View Post

The premier is two weeks earlier than last year. I wonder if they will have more episodes or whether they will wrap things up earlier this year? Or, are they trying to attract more viewers before the summer vacations start? Either way, warts and all, this is my guilty pleasure for the summer.

It will be interesting to see how the Howard Stern experiment will work. I would have preferred someone with a background in evaluating talent to offset the antics of Howie and give the show a better balance. Sharon will now have the responsibility of reigning in the two clowns on either side of her. I hope the judges don't become the spotlight of the show and the talent secondary.

That will be up to the editors. Stern has said that his mission on the show is to find talent, a job that he takes seriously. In fact he has critiqued Howie for goofing around too much/not choosing serious contestants to advance.
post #37 of 446 Old 04-13-2012, 09:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I don't know if this provides any insight, however, I attended some of the auditions / selection shows this year with Stern on the panel .. he was very overbearing, Howie had to really butt in to get any comments in and Sharon had little to no time to talk ..

Stern just kept talking and talking, and then would interupt Howie and Sharon when they tried to say anything .. Stern has a very commanding voice in person and it seemed he just took over .. don't know how that will play on the actual show ..

As well, Stern was very much a camera hog .. he had no problem getting out of the chair regularly to walk on stage with the contestants .. and he was quite critical, often bordering on outright rude ..

IOW, he was Howard Stern ..

It sounds like he's actually trying to earn his money, unlike some of the other "judges" on singing shows. And really, it is his first time doing this so he probably should be given a little bit of time to find his "judging" voice. I would rather he do this rather than sit back and take it easy. During these auditions Stern's participation can always be scaled back in the editing room.
post #38 of 446 Old 04-13-2012, 09:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarod M View Post

It sounds like he's actually trying to earn his money, unlike some of the other "judges" on singing shows. And really, it is his first time doing this so he probably should be given a little bit of time to find his "judging" voice. I would rather he do this rather than sit back and take it easy. During these auditions Stern's participation can always be scaled back in the editing room.

Sorry if my info on Howard seemed critical .. I actually enjoyed it during the taping ..

Uncle Willie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #39 of 446 Old 04-13-2012, 09:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Sorry if my info on Howard seemed critical .. I actually enjoyed it during the taping ..

Since I'm not attending the tapings, I am only worried about how entertaining it is on tv. I don't know if you've attended any other live show tapings like this, but I've heard they can be rather tedious-like what we heard about the X Factor auditions.
post #40 of 446 Old 04-13-2012, 09:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Since I'm not attending the tapings, I am only worried about how entertaining it is on tv. I don't know if you've attended any other live show tapings like this, but I've heard they can be rather tedious-like what we heard about the X Factor auditions.

I have been to other show tapings .. in the case of AGT they did a pretty good job .. about 15 minutes from one act to the next .. in between, the warm up guy kept it lively, tossed out some free junk ..

Main problem was the audience just would not give much time before booing / arm crossing .. sometimes just a few seconds ..

Uncle Willie

post #41 of 446 Old 04-13-2012, 10:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 96
I just hope this year a person/group other than a singer wins.. it seems to be that if you aren't a singer don't even try...

Season 1. Child Singer
Season 2. Singer (well they claimed ventriloqist but singer anyway)
Season 3. Opera Singer
Season 4. Country Singer
Season 5. "Regular" Singer
Season 6. Singer (Landau)

RIP Mom, we always love you 8/18/13
post #42 of 446 Old 04-13-2012, 11:12 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

It's interesting to note that other than Jackie Evansho (who did not win), who has sold a lot of albums .. the rest have really kinda been flops .. probably the worst being Kevin Skinner, who I never thought could sing anyway ..

Uncle Willie

post #43 of 446 Old 04-13-2012, 11:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It's interesting to note that other than Jackie Evansho (who did not win), who has sold a lot of albums .. the rest have really kinda been flops .. probably the worst being Kevin Skinner, who I never thought could sing anyway ..

Well, Britain's Got Talent has been somewhat fruitful, and has another Susan Boyle type on this season. And really the criteria to measure success should include the "million dollar Vegas act" angle. I guess the ventriloquist was also a success then.
post #44 of 446 Old 04-13-2012, 11:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 317
Quote:

And really the criteria to measure success should include the "million dollar Vegas act" angle. I guess the ventriloquist was also a success then.

No question about it. I really enjoyed his DVD.

On May 13, 2008 it was announced that Fator had signed a five year, $100 million contract to perform nightly at The Mirage in Las Vegas. He replaced headliner Danny Gans and the theater was renamed the Terry Fator Theatre. Reportedly, Fator's deal is one of the largest entertainment deals in Las Vegas history.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terry_Fator
post #45 of 446 Old 04-13-2012, 11:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Well, Britain's Got Talent has been somewhat fruitful, and has another Susan Boyle type on this season. And really the criteria to measure success should include the "million dollar Vegas act" angle. I guess the ventriloquist was also a success then.

Yes, my post was directed mainly at the statement that DrLar made

I just hope this year a person/group other than a singer wins.. it seems to be that if you aren't a singer don't even try...

Uncle Willie

post #46 of 446 Old 04-13-2012, 01:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:

And really the criteria to measure success should include the "million dollar Vegas act" angle.

That's what I stated earlier in this thread. They need to stop promoting these acts that are very entertaining for three minutes on stage (and that's it), and start promoting acts that can consistently perform sixty minute Vegas shows that will get people coming again and again.

For example, The team that came in second place last year (Silhouettes) was entirely consisted of 4-18 year olds. How the hell is a group like that supposed to make a Vegas show? There are child labor laws that would go into effect for the nightly productions (and training/practices), not to mention the entire group needing to move to Vegas. Silhouettes was no doubt very cool and talented, but I can't see that group being a Vegas show.

~Tighr: Not helping the situation since 1983

post #47 of 446 Old 04-13-2012, 01:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tighr View Post

That's what I stated earlier in this thread. They need to stop promoting these acts that are very entertaining for three minutes on stage (and that's it), and start promoting acts that can consistently perform sixty minute Vegas shows that will get people coming again and again.

For example, The team that came in second place last year (Silhouettes) was entirely consisted of 4-18 year olds. How the hell is a group like that supposed to make a Vegas show? There are child labor laws that would go into effect for the nightly productions (and training/practices), not to mention the entire group needing to move to Vegas. Silhouettes was no doubt very cool and talented, but I can't see that group being a Vegas show.

There actually is a group of (adults) that do a solid Silhouettes type show in Europe .. there are some youtube clips .. and they are very, very good .. much better than AGT Silhouettes

Uncle Willie

post #48 of 446 Old 05-06-2012, 12:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I hope this season is better than that unbelievably bad commercial that they are spamming with the judges carpooling together. This commercial makes me not want to watch the show out of payback.
post #49 of 446 Old 05-11-2012, 07:05 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Stern is certainly doing the promotion circuit .. and he's making some good points .. I don't recall any other season where one of the judges was so heavily out on the road pushing the show ..

Uncle Willie

post #50 of 446 Old 05-11-2012, 07:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Stern is certainly doing the promotion circuit .. and he's making some good points .. I don't recall any other season where one of the judges was so heavily out on the road pushing the show ..

I thought it was also interesting that he didn't go out of his way to mention Sirius. Considering what has happened to the radio show, I hope AGT can make up for it.
post #51 of 446 Old 05-11-2012, 07:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I thought it was also interesting that he didn't go out of his way to mention Sirius. Considering what has happened to the radio show, I hope AGT can make up for it.

You mean the lawsuit .. ??

Uncle Willie

post #52 of 446 Old 05-11-2012, 07:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You mean the lawsuit .. ??

I mean the scarcity of the radio show this year. There have been very few new radio shows. It was bad enough when Stern dropped down to 4 days a week. Then it turned into 3 days a week with an hour less each morning. It's even less now with all the breaks for AGT. I'm close to dropping my subscription.
post #53 of 446 Old 05-11-2012, 08:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
He's taking a lot of time off and doing 2 day weeks to accomodate AGT. I don't think he would have ever considered doing the show if he didn't have such a contentious relationship with Sirius.

As for the Stern haters I do get a kick out of the criticism. I listen to his show every day, and his show since he came to Sirius, especially since Artie left, is the most tame he has ever been in his career. he mostly does social commentary, and his interviews are phenomenol.

Sharon has been on his show several times and she curses like a sailor. Way more then stern does. Every 4th word out of her mouth is a 4 letter word.

And Sharon and Howie certainly played a big role in Stern getting the job. Those 2 have been friends with Stern for over 20 years each.
post #54 of 446 Old 05-11-2012, 08:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamieva View Post

He's taking a lot of time off and doing 2 day weeks to accomodate AGT. I don't think he would have ever considered doing the show if he didn't have such a contentious relationship with Sirius.

He has said he wouldn't be working on the radio more days even if he hadn't signed on to do AGT. Which tells me that this was all about Sirius not wanting to pay as much money as they did on the previous contract. So Stern signed a contract in which he was paid considerably less, but would also work considerably less. Ok, enough radio talk!
post #55 of 446 Old 05-11-2012, 08:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamieva View Post

his interviews are phenomenol.

They are amazing, it's incredible what he gets people to talk about.
The lawsuit had to do with some dispute over whether he was entitled to additional compensation based on the number of subscribers. It was complicated by the Sirius/XM merger. His new contract had already been negotiated, he agreed to stay in exchange for more time off.
I only get to listen on my way to/from work, so it's nice to have some repeats later in the week to catch up.
I had given up on AGT except for the finals, but I'll watch it all now.
I think Howard haters will be surprised by what they see, he will bring a good dose of honesty and reality to the show.
post #56 of 446 Old 05-11-2012, 09:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
No to jump into talk of his radio show too much, but I do believe him when he said he was not going to re-sign when his 5 year deal was up. But I think Sirius knew they would lose lots so they begged and pleaded and he got to cut a deal very favorable to him with 3 day work weeks etc.
post #57 of 446 Old 05-11-2012, 09:19 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by saeyedoc View Post

I had given up on AGT except for the finals, but I'll watch it all now.

I started watching Howard on E! years ago and for a short period of time he was on in Indy. For whatever reason he didn't last long - too much money, couldn't cut far enough into the local Bob & Tom show, etc. I listened a while when he first came to satellite but it didn't last long. My schedule didn't allow enough time to catch him and during the repeats (evening hours) I had better things to do.

Anyway I would consider myself a fan even though I think he has been an act his entire career. Such as playing a part for the most part to be entertaining... which is fine. However, I certainly wouldn't watch this show to catch him... just like all of the judges/mentors and whatnot shows they don't make or break the show (for me).

| 
|
|
|
post #58 of 446 Old 05-11-2012, 09:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post

Anyway I would consider myself a fan even though I think he has been an act his entire career. Such as playing a part for the most part to be entertaining... which is fine. However, I certainly wouldn't watch this show to catch him... just like all of the judges/mentors and whatnot shows they don't make or break the show (for me).

Pretty much my take .. in watching Sterns promo work for this season, he professes to want to maintain a degree of integrity (whether you can do that with some of the acts I won't speculate) .. and the pranking / banter that Howie had with Piers is out the window ..

I like Howard, I thought he did a good job at the audition shows I attended .. although he very much overshadowed Howie and Sharon .. and maybe that's what the producers want ..

Uncle Willie

post #59 of 446 Old 05-14-2012, 12:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

DVR set for tonight ..

Uncle Willie

post #60 of 446 Old 05-15-2012, 01:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 64
No comments? I liked the harp guy, I think that's amazing what he was able to do. I'm intrigued to see what other types of instruments he could come up with, and of course compositions as well. That's precisely the kind of Vegas act this show is supposed to be finding, and I think that's what Stern is looking for.

Everyone who said they're not fans of Stern, if you still watched, what did you think? I like his no-nonsense approach. I think it will be good for the show.

~Tighr: Not helping the situation since 1983

Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page