AVS Forum banner

America's Got Talent Season 7 May 14th, 2012

17K views 445 replies 50 participants last post by  DrLar 
#1 ·
#53 ·
He's taking a lot of time off and doing 2 day weeks to accomodate AGT. I don't think he would have ever considered doing the show if he didn't have such a contentious relationship with Sirius.

As for the Stern haters I do get a kick out of the criticism. I listen to his show every day, and his show since he came to Sirius, especially since Artie left, is the most tame he has ever been in his career. he mostly does social commentary, and his interviews are phenomenol.

Sharon has been on his show several times and she curses like a sailor. Way more then stern does. Every 4th word out of her mouth is a 4 letter word.

And Sharon and Howie certainly played a big role in Stern getting the job. Those 2 have been friends with Stern for over 20 years each.

#54 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamieva /forum/post/22011010

He's taking a lot of time off and doing 2 day weeks to accomodate AGT. I don't think he would have ever considered doing the show if he didn't have such a contentious relationship with Sirius.

He has said he wouldn't be working on the radio more days even if he hadn't signed on to do AGT. Which tells me that this was all about Sirius not wanting to pay as much money as they did on the previous contract. So Stern signed a contract in which he was paid considerably less, but would also work considerably less. Ok, enough radio talk!

#55 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamieva /forum/post/22011010

his interviews are phenomenol.

They are amazing, it's incredible what he gets people to talk about.

The lawsuit had to do with some dispute over whether he was entitled to additional compensation based on the number of subscribers. It was complicated by the Sirius/XM merger. His new contract had already been negotiated, he agreed to stay in exchange for more time off.

I only get to listen on my way to/from work, so it's nice to have some repeats later in the week to catch up.

I had given up on AGT except for the finals, but I'll watch it all now.

I think Howard haters will be surprised by what they see, he will bring a good dose of honesty and reality to the show.

#56 ·
No to jump into talk of his radio show too much, but I do believe him when he said he was not going to re-sign when his 5 year deal was up. But I think Sirius knew they would lose lots so they begged and pleaded and he got to cut a deal very favorable to him with 3 day work weeks etc.

#57 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by saeyedoc /forum/post/22011227

I had given up on AGT except for the finals, but I'll watch it all now.

I started watching Howard on E! years ago and for a short period of time he was on in Indy. For whatever reason he didn't last long - too much money, couldn't cut far enough into the local Bob & Tom show, etc. I listened a while when he first came to satellite but it didn't last long. My schedule didn't allow enough time to catch him and during the repeats (evening hours) I had better things to do.

Anyway I would consider myself a fan even though I think he has been an act his entire career. Such as playing a part for the most part to be entertaining... which is fine. However, I certainly wouldn't watch this show to catch him... just like all of the judges/mentors and whatnot shows they don't make or break the show (for me).

#58 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R /forum/post/22011381

Anyway I would consider myself a fan even though I think he has been an act his entire career. Such as playing a part for the most part to be entertaining... which is fine. However, I certainly wouldn't watch this show to catch him... just like all of the judges/mentors and whatnot shows they don't make or break the show (for me).

Pretty much my take .. in watching Sterns promo work for this season, he professes to want to maintain a degree of integrity (whether you can do that with some of the acts I won't speculate) .. and the pranking / banter that Howie had with Piers is out the window ..

I like Howard, I thought he did a good job at the audition shows I attended .. although he very much overshadowed Howie and Sharon .. and maybe that's what the producers want ..

#60 ·
No comments? I liked the harp guy, I think that's amazing what he was able to do. I'm intrigued to see what other types of instruments he could come up with, and of course compositions as well. That's precisely the kind of Vegas act this show is supposed to be finding, and I think that's what Stern is looking for.

Everyone who said they're not fans of Stern, if you still watched, what did you think? I like his no-nonsense approach. I think it will be good for the show.

#62 ·
I watched some, not all of it. I was DVRing it anyways and flipping out of the Celtics game at commercial. I thought Howard was very good and the dynamic of the 3 of them was very good.

I did notice Howard typically was the first one to hit the buzzer when they had an act they didn't like. he knew very quickly if he didn't like an act.

#65 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLar /forum/post/22025223

Yeah just like Piers did, he was often the first to buzz them off..

Except for the Simply Sergio guy (who should have started with his God Bless America instead of the Girl From Ipanema), every single act that he buzzed early was terrible. When you've only got 60 seconds to impress the judges, don't start off with schtick. You've gotta shoot to kill, or you won't make it to the next round. Regardless, once you're in the next round, your secret will be out, so the schtick is pointless. Sergio is lucky that Howard gave him a second chance.

Piers showed no such restraint, often buzzing people before allowing their act to develop.

#66 ·
I have watched the show only in passing but I got to say I got hooked tonight, that last dancer was unreal great. We loved the slo-mo dance. Having watched American Idol and being disgusted with the judges, I can say I love how Howard, Sharon, and Howie mesh with one another,

#67 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tighr /forum/post/22025550

Except for the Simply Sergio guy (who should have started with his God Bless America instead of the Girl From Ipanema), every single act that he buzzed early was terrible. When you've only got 60 seconds to impress the judges, don't start off with schtick. You've gotta shoot to kill, or you won't make it to the next round. Regardless, once you're in the next round, your secret will be out, so the schtick is pointless. Sergio is lucky that Howard gave him a second chance.

Piers showed no such restraint, often buzzing people before allowing their act to develop.

Or if they take take themselves too seriously. Piers buzzed Prince Poppycock when he went all serious with one of his opera pieces. Piers preferred the tongue-in-cheek approach by PP.

#68 ·
Howard brings a new freshness to the show. I thought he was great. He started with a quick trigger, but as the show progressed over the two nights he really mellowed. Maybe too much.

As usual, too much nonsense with Nick and the ridiculous acts that get buzzed. They’re bad enough; then he has to continue the absurdity.

I don’t need the added element of the audience commentary. 1. It looks too staged. 2. It adds nothing to the show.

David Garibaldi and His CMYKs paint a masterpiece in a moment was excellent. Painted Beethoven it in 60 seconds and it was entertaining.

The talking dog was hilarious. Like some other acts, I wish we could have seen more.

Turf’s slow motion walk was awesome. Contrary to most, I do like the touchy, feel good moments like his on AGT where they are truly humbled. Same with the father/daughter singers.

Much better start, talent wise, to this year than last. IIRC, it took several weeks to see anyone who had a shot. Not that any of what we’ve seen in two shows is a winner, but they are far better than last years crop. Hope it continues.

#69 ·
I found it hard to believe that Howard was so enthusiastic about Turf, the street performer from San Fransisco last week, and then so overly critical of Steps this week. They have a similar act. I thought Turf was far and away the better performer, but Howard really laid into Steps, even voting no.

As far as if either of them can have a Vegas show, they might actually have a better chance performing together. If one performer is good, why not two!?

#70 ·
Liking the season so far, except the same old filler material, too much stuff going on except the acts we want to really watch..

They did the typical "background story" on some of the contestants to have them buzzed off.. and some good acts we just see a glimpse of them.

And again it takes like 10 mins to get the show going..

#72 ·
Yeah but sometimes they spent too much time on ONE contestant.. it's hard to guess those ones.. even you know some of those are coming but they keep you guessing LOL

#75 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by allargon /forum/post/22060045

I enjoyed the couple with the strength circus act. I had mixed feelings about their uniforms. They were both sharing a bit too much information in their nether regions. Fortunately they blocked out crotch kicker once his pants were off.

Yeah the Balancing/strenght act with the couple was awesome, the girl was smokin' hot and way strong... she looked a bit that Kathee Sackoff..

LOL'd at the "snapple couch" when Howie was playing with Sharon trying to lift her up..

I'm searching for that Ipad app that the ventriloquist used..

I don't know how he manipulated the app to change the pictures and stuff..

#76 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLar /forum/post/0

Yeah the Balancing/strenght act with the couple was awesome, the girl was smokin' hot and way strong... she looked a bit that Kathee Sackoff..

LOL'd at the "snapple couch" when Howie was playing with Sharon trying to lift her up..

I'm searching for that Ipad app that the ventriloquist used..

I don't know how he manipulated the app to change the pictures and stuff..

He had some kind of remote in his hand to open the mouth and move the eyes. You could see him using it. I don't know what the iPad was for, maybe they had it hooked to the bigger screen so everyone could see it?

But really, he wasn't even a very good ventriloquist, and his material I thought was weak, but the judges were really gassing him up...

#77 ·
Oh yeah, the remote is to control de iPad which is connected to the TV via cable (see the cable on this pic)..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.