America's Got Talent Season 7 May 14th, 2012 - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 446 Old 07-09-2012, 01:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Looks that way this week and again next week: quarterfinal on Tuesday, results on Wednesday.

At least these next two performance shows are at 8 PM Eastern.  It was one thing when they were held in Los Angeles, and a live 8 PM show actually started at 5 PM local time.  Last week's performance show started at 9 PM local time; lucky thing for Lil Starr and Edon that it wasn't a schoolnight.

For that matter, why did they assign Lil Starr to the first quarterfinal -- and moreover, schedule her for the middle of the show -- if the other quarterfinals were going to start one hour earlier?  I can understand for Edon, so as not to make him perform for an audience during the Three Weeks, and at fourteen he can stay up that late.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 446 Old 07-09-2012, 01:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 333 Post(s)
Liked: 686
Quote:
Originally Posted by dattier View Post

Looks that way this week and again next week: quarterfinal on Tuesday, results on Wednesday.
At least these next two performance shows are at 8 PM Eastern.  It was one thing when they were held in Los Angeles, and a live 8 PM show actually started at 5 PM local time.  Last week's performance show started at 9 PM local time; lucky thing for Lil Starr and Edon that it wasn't a schoolnight.

I thought Lil Star went home ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #183 of 446 Old 07-09-2012, 03:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post

I thought Lil Star went home ..
She did. The question was why did she get included in last week's group which starts late, as opposed to this week (and the next) that start an hour earlier. Now that she' eliminated, its moot.

~Tighr: Not helping the situation since 1983

post #184 of 446 Old 07-09-2012, 03:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tighr View Post

She did. The question was why did she get included in last week's group which starts late, as opposed to this week (and the next) that start an hour earlier. Now that she' eliminated, its moot.

My point was that it is moot ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #185 of 446 Old 07-09-2012, 04:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Yes, now that she's eliminated, it's moot.  And if she hadn't been eliminated, it would still be moot, as her quarterfinal performance has already taken place anyway.
post #186 of 446 Old 07-10-2012, 10:09 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 222

Howard Stern's got 'Talent,' but America needs a better show

It's not clear what NBC was expecting when it added Howard Stern to the panel on America's Got Talent (tonight, 8 ET/PT) — or what viewers were hoping or fearing the wildly popular but equally controversial shock jock might bring to the mix. But what they all got was a decent judge of talent who is, at least on his first two live shows last week, taking his job incredibly seriously and doing it quite well.

That's great. What's not so great for the show is that he's making his two co-stars, Sharon Osbourne and Howie Mandel, seem even more insignificant and inarticulate than they otherwise might. He's not just overshadowing them; he's making them virtually invisible.

http://www.usatoday.com/life/television/reviews/story/2012-07-10/howard-stern-agt-review/56119616/1

I tried to catch an episode with Howard however as in previous years I didn't last more than a few minutes.

post #187 of 446 Old 07-10-2012, 11:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Wow, that's a scathing article. I don't know that I'd take it that far, and I like Howard! It does raise a good point, though. Stern's point of view is refreshing, but he also needs to work on the chemistry with his co-stars. It's a two way street though... Sharon and Howie need to be focused on actual talent and not flashy 90 seconds. We need something that is going to be a 60 minute Vegas show.

Right now, that's David Garibaldi. Let's see who makes it tonight.

post #188 of 446 Old 07-10-2012, 11:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Bianco probably should have waited until after this week's shows if he was going to write this kind of review. Clearly the show had some things to work out, but that was just the first week of live shows.

I don't really agree with Bianco. First, Sharon and Howie have been on Stern's radio show MANY times, and they get along great. As I've said before, Sharon is not being herself on the show, but rather playing the part of the "nice" judge. She has never made much of a contribution to the show. And Howie is definitely better than last year. Is the chemistry still a little shaky? Maybe, but chemistry takes a while, which is why viewing a second week of live shows might have been warranted before criticizing. But I would be surprised if Sharon changes anything, and Howie is always going to be 50% bad jokes.
post #189 of 446 Old 07-10-2012, 12:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Liked: 122
I'm still convinced the show producer's already chosen the possible winner, by setting up the QF's, when the not so talented will surely walk against the better ones and some other that had a chance be stripped by more popular contestants... setting up their favorites on key time when there's more viewers, etc.

I wish they had fully randomized who goes when and what day.

I swear if that short untalented awful singer guy passed to next round I'll give up this show..

RIP Mom, we always love you 8/18/13
post #190 of 446 Old 07-10-2012, 12:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 441
Bianco said what I said last week, so I thought he was spot on in his assessment of Howard. tongue.gifbiggrin.gif

So, I tried searching but I can’t find anything that will tell us if AGT is going on hiatus for two weeks during the Olympics. I see wall-to-wall coverage every night so I would assume so. That means the last show will be on the 25th and returning on the 14th if they stay with the current Tuesday/Wednesday format.
post #191 of 446 Old 07-10-2012, 04:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 72
Could Bianco's head be any further up Sterns butt?

I gave Stern a fair shot and until last week, I was neutral to somewhat positive. But then last week he became everything I expected from him, self centered arrogance. I recall his comment about Nick and his non-response. He had a chance to respond like a humble person but failed. I'm sure, like Bianco, Stern fans love his act. I suppose if that's the direction we're headed with 'entertainment', I'll be left behind.

I'm okay with that.
post #192 of 446 Old 07-10-2012, 11:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Wow, good group tonight (minus Big Barry). It's definitely a close one, so I have no idea who is going through, and I could be completely wrong, but here's my top 4:

1) Turf
2) Donovan and Rebecca
3) Tom Cotter
4) Tim Hockenberry

I'd say Danielle Stallings will probably face off against Hockenberry for the judge's toss-up, so we'll see how that goes down.

Obviously, Big Barry better be done. The dancers laid an egg tonight, and the Light Painters ruined a good thing they had going with their unique act. The crossbow just isn't enough to capture a Vegas show, and the garage band is a garage band. Liondance is incredible, but it's really the same thing I've seen at every Cirque du Soleil show already. And the magicians did a great performance, but I think they'll get left in the cold by America. Obviously, these are my personal thoughts, so anything could happen.

post #193 of 446 Old 07-11-2012, 12:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I'm freaking loving Howard Stern. I loved him calling Howie out on putting stupid crap through and demanding an apology. He wouldn't let up on him and it was awesome. He X'ed the awful "Big Barry" within 2 seconds, loved that. I don't agree with him every time but more often than not he's on the money.
post #194 of 446 Old 07-11-2012, 02:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by David James View Post

I recall his comment about Nick and his non-response. He had a chance to respond like a humble person but failed.

What are you referring to here? Just curious. I missed it.

post #195 of 446 Old 07-11-2012, 05:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 23
The exchange about Big Barry was typical Howard. After calling out Howie for allowing BB to continue and letting talent like FloJo's daughter go home, Howie makes his point by asking Howard if he could recall FloJo's daughter's name. Howard doesn't blink and says "Mary." Of course he was wrong, and bluffing, but Howard is too stubborn to concede the point to Howie, that despite a lack of pure talent, Big Barry is more memorable as a novelty than is FloJo's daughter as a singer.
post #196 of 446 Old 07-11-2012, 06:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Wow, good group tonight (minus Big Barry). It's definitely a close one, so I have no idea who is going through, and I could be completely wrong, but here's my top 4:
1) Turf
2) Donovan and Rebecca
3) Tom Cotter
4) Tim Hockenberry

My picks exactly...

Although Hockenberry got bad review by Howard, I thought he was great.. Cotter: made me laugh, and I'm one of those persons that heard every joke he still got me..

post #197 of 446 Old 07-11-2012, 08:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viventis View Post

The exchange about Big Barry was typical Howard. After calling out Howie for allowing BB to continue and letting talent like FloJo's daughter go home, Howie makes his point by asking Howard if he could recall FloJo's daughter's name. Howard doesn't blink and says "Mary." Of course he was wrong, and bluffing, but Howard is too stubborn to concede the point to Howie, that despite a lack of pure talent, Big Barry is more memorable as a novelty than is FloJo's daughter as a singer.
Not sure what you mean. FloJo's daughter is indeed named Mary Joyner. Howie was the one who was wrong: he calls out Howard Stern, and Howard immediately proves Howie wrong. Howie was relying on Twitter, and still got it wrong.

post #198 of 446 Old 07-11-2012, 09:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viventis View Post

It took me ten seconds to verify the name Mary on Wikipedia (plus many links to Mary Joyner by Googling). The name thing proves nothing anyway. Of course a wacky name is going to be more memorable than a regular name. So what does that prove? Should everyone who auditions for the show use a wacky stage name?
post #199 of 446 Old 07-11-2012, 01:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by David James View Post

Could Bianco's head be any further up Sterns butt?

I gave Stern a fair shot and until last week, I was neutral to somewhat positive. But then last week he became everything I expected from him, self centered arrogance. I recall his comment about Nick and his non-response. He had a chance to respond like a humble person but failed. I'm sure, like Bianco, Stern fans love his act. I suppose if that's the direction we're headed with 'entertainment', I'll be left behind.

I'm okay with that.

My question is: Why does anybody sitting in the chair on Sharon's right become a pompous a**?
post #200 of 446 Old 07-11-2012, 01:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by domino92024 View Post

My question is: Why does anybody sitting in the chair on Sharon's right become a pompous a**?

The real question is .. why would anyone expect Howard Stern to be anything but ... Howard Stern ..

Uncle Willie

post #201 of 446 Old 07-11-2012, 11:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Wow! That was tense. Tim Hockenberry must have done even better than I thought, for them to send him and Turf directly to the next round at the same time. Again, I wish we could see the actual results, but the two of them must have been far and away easily the #1 and #2 votes last night. Tom Cotter was a gimme, so it came down to Donovan and Rebecca and Danielle Stallings. Tough call for the judges, I can see that they struggled, but they made the right decision. At 14, she is going to have many more opportunities to shine, which is what shocked me about Sharon's response. There are so many shows out there for a girl like her to compete on, but this is the only show for Donovan and Rebecca. This is their time.

So far, 8-for-8 in picks, and 8 more to go!

post #202 of 446 Old 07-12-2012, 05:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Danielle will turn up on AI or X Factor in a year or two. The fact is, she is every bit as good as any singer in that mediocre group of finalists on AI this year. Good, just not standout great.

Besides, she could still come back as a wildcard pick. So far there hasn't been much talent passed over, so she still has a shot at that.
post #203 of 446 Old 07-12-2012, 06:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Another 4-0 night: Will miracles never cease. I almost picked Danielle over Turf, but decided to hang with him for one more appearance. I don’t know how much further he can go. There’s only so much he can do without repeating himself and losing the audience.

LMAO at the comedian, Tom Cotter – they came one after the other. A possible top 4.

Tim Hockenberry takes me back to S5 winner, Michael Grimm – they remind you of other singers, but they still have their own style. A possible top 4.

I know the producers want controversy and I believe the spat between Howard and Howie is to a large degree staged, but Howard became too redundant and pushed it so far that it became irritating to me Tuesday night. He was very good on his comments, but I don’t care if you are Howard and that is what you do; back off, already.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarod M View Post

Danielle will turn up on AI or X Factor in a year or two.
Besides, she could still come back as a wildcard pick. So far there hasn't been much talent passed over, so she still has a shot at that.

Yeah, we have to remember a few of these acts will be back.

Quote:

So far, 8-for-8 in picks, and 8 more to go!

Don't forget the YouTube acts.
post #204 of 446 Old 07-12-2012, 07:05 AM
AVS Special Member

We were right on the money, I also thought either Tim or Turf were walking out.. but I was like "they both passing" and they did...

post #205 of 446 Old 07-12-2012, 12:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliens View Post

I know the producers want controversy and I believe the spat between Howard and Howie is to a large degree staged, but Howard became too redundant and pushed it so far that it became irritating to me Tuesday night. He was very good on his comments, but I don’t care if you are Howard and that is what you do; back off, already.
It wasn't staged at all, imo. Howard is doing exactly what he said he would do months ago when this gig was first announced. "Howie pushing forward ridiculous acts with no chance to win" was at the top of his list of things he wouldn't put up with.

The spat doesn't bother me at all, but then I am used to 30 to 45 minute arguments on the radio show. Howard does not back down until the other side admits defeat/apologizes. This is where the art of deflection comes in handy. Howie attempted to take the offensive by asking Howard if he remembered Mary Joyner's first name-which failed miserably. Howie didn't even know the answer to his own question, so he was left looking clueless.
post #206 of 446 Old 07-13-2012, 05:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked: 254
I just watched that group Tracer again. Frak me that was simply amazing. I would pay to see them in a heartbeat if they came to my town. That guy jumping through those hoops. WOW!

post #207 of 446 Old 07-13-2012, 06:16 AM
AVS Special Member

^^^

One of the things that stood out to me; if they don’t execute a couple of those moves, the girl most likely breaks her neck and is paralyzed.
post #208 of 446 Old 07-14-2012, 03:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

I don't know if I'm to the point of talent show burnout or what .. by this time, on every other AGT season, I have connected with at least one act .. I just can't seem to this season ..

I mean, the guy / woman acrobat team is OK .. and likely more exciting live .. Tim Hockenberry .. OK, but not great .. I hear lead singers in bar bands as good or better .. Turf .. talent, sure, drive, check .. but I would not shell out $80 bucks a pop for a Vegas show .. Tom Cotter .. I thought his last perfomance was weaker than the earlier ones ..

I still think Howard has helped the show .. and I'm also sure that's what moved it to the New York area .. if Piers was still on, I'd seriously consider quiting .. and I've watched this thing from Season One .. where are the
Terry Fator's .. the Jackie Evancho's, the Prince Poppycock's .. the acts that make you sit up and notice .. ??

When I seem to be more interested in what antics Nick is up to, somethings not right .. just me, I guess ...or, maybe America is running out of talent ..

I'm hoping things get better ..

Uncle Willie

post #209 of 446 Old 07-14-2012, 06:15 PM
AVS Special Member

I've said it in the singing threads, and I'll say it here-the talent just isn't there anymore. AGT has managed to come up with some great acts over the years, but this looks to be a year without an exceptional act. I'm afraid that Howie will be right, and last week's show featured the person who will be the eventual winner. That being said-it is possible that someone will emerge who was NOT in the 48. wink.gif
post #210 of 446 Old 07-15-2012, 01:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarod M View Post

I've said it in the singing threads, and I'll say it here-the talent just isn't there anymore. AGT has managed to come up with some great acts over the years, but this looks to be a year without an exceptional act. I'm afraid that Howie will be right, and last week's show featured the person who will be the eventual winner. That being said-it is possible that someone will emerge who was NOT in the 48. wink.gif

And I guess that's what puzzles me .. there are how many people in the US .. ?? And yet, it seems we're tapped out ..

Uncle Willie

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page