AVS Forum banner

'Girls' on HBO HD

13K views 139 replies 39 participants last post by  WilliamR 
#1 ·

About the show
Quote:
Originally Posted by HBO /forum/post/0

Created by and starring Lena Dunham ("Tiny Furniture"), the show is a comic look at the assorted humiliations and rare triumphs of a group of girls in their early 20s. Dunham wrote and directed the pilot of the series, which she executive produces along with Judd Apatow and Jenni Konner.* The cast also includes Jemima Kirke, Allison Williams, Adam Driver and Zosia Mamet.* Episodes were shot in New York. The ten-episode season debuts in 2012.

"Girls" on HBO airs on Sunday's at 9:30 PM CST only on HBO.

For more information about "Girls", please see the official website below.
http://www.hbo.com/girls/index.html#/girls/index.html

I thought the pilot episode was good. I laughed a few times at Lena Dunham. She is such a nerd sometimes

I might be the only male member who enjoys this show. Seems like a "spin-off" of The L Word. Catch y'all next week for episode two titled "Vagina Panic"

See less See more
#103 ·
It seems pretty clear where some of the story lines are going. I'll put my comments in a spoiler box in case others don't want to see it. These are just my guesses.

The hannah OCD stuff is a bit over the top. Hopefully she finds a "cure" for herself. Adam forgot who he was with when he made his girlfriend act like a dog.

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show) My guess is that Hannah's and Adam's relationship will rekindle as both see how they can be themselves with the other. I hope this is helps Hannah's OCD.

#104 ·
I just hope they don't make Marnie a super star singer or something.. she was just so sad and clingy with Charlie

#105 ·
From the HOTP thread at the top of the HDTV Programming forum page

Nielsen Notes (Cable)
HBO’s ‘Girls’ Down In Season 2 Finale

By Dominic Patten, Deadline.com - Mar. 18, 2013

The second-season finale of HBO’s Girls at 9 PM drew 632,000 viewers Sunday night, down from the 1 million who watched the show’s Season 1 finale June 17. It also was down from the 866,000 who tuned in for the Season 2 premiere January 13, the same night creator/star/executive producer Lena Dunham won a Golden Globe for Best Actress in a Comedy Series and Girls won Best TV Comedy. Over three airings of last night’s show — which was co-written by Dunham and executive producer Judd Apatow — at 9 PM, 10 PM and 11 PM, Girls drew 1.13 million viewers.

The series has been averaging a gross viewership of the 4.6 million this season. Besides watching the show on HBO and on DVR, 27% of them watched on HBO Go and HBO On Demand. That makes Girls the most-watched show on the additional platforms of any current HBO series. Girls‘ first season premiere on April 15, 2012 pulled in 872,000 viewers.

http://www.deadline.com/2013/03/girls-ratings-season-2-finale-hbo/

#107 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitchatjf  /t/1405809/girls-on-hbo-hd/90#post_23117273

I found the season finale disappointing.

Agreed. I did really like the episode with Adam and Shoshanna's boyfriend returning the dog to Staten Island. It was well written and I liked Adam's insights on love and relationships. As a character he really grosses me out, as most characters on this show do, but Dunham wrote some really good dialog for that episode.

#109 ·
I finally watched the finale. Like Young C said it was okay. I really was hoping for Hannah to finally crash and burn. She still didnt write her book so I would hope the publisher just ruins her next season. Marnie is still crazy. Shoshanna (Xochana?) atleast had some believable character grows in the finale. Girls that young are too stupid to be in a serious relationship.

#110 ·
Michael Zegen Joins HBO Comedy ‘Girls’

By NELLIE ANDREEVA | Monday June 3, 2013 @ 10:26am PDT

EXCLUSIVE: Michael Zegen, who recurs as infamous mobster Bugsy Siegel on Boardwalk Empire, has been added to the cast of another HBO series, Lena Dunham’s comedy Girls. The network is keeping details about his character and the number of episodes he will appear in under wraps, but Zegen may fill the void left by the sudden departure of Christopher Abbott. He’ll also be returning to Boardwalk Empire this fall. Most recently, Zegen appeared alongside fellow Girls actor Adam Driver in Noah Baumbach’s Frances Ha. Zegen’s previous recurring gigs include The Walking Dead, Rescue Me and HBO’s How To Make It In America. He is with UTA and manager Jill Kaplan at Principal NY.

http://www.deadline.com/2013/06/michael-zegen-joins-hbo-comedy-girls/

#117 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSperber  /t/1405809/girls-on-hbo-hd/90#post_24212017

Zero comments after season openers?

Not surprising. I was not entertained at all. Two episodes, and nary a smile from me.

Seems very tired.

I've watched this shoe over and over again

I really tried to like this shoe. I mean I am supposed to like this show, all the critics tell me this

must be something wrong with me as despite all my efforts, I find no humor, amusement or any other rewarding reason to continue with this show

alas I am a failure at contemporary television comedy

#118 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. wally  /t/1405809/girls-on-hbo-hd/90#post_24212391

I've watched this shoe over and over again

I really tried to like this shoe. I mean I am supposed to like this show, all the critics tell me this

must be something wrong with me as despite all my efforts, I find no humor, amusement or any other rewarding reason to continue with this show

alas I am a failure at contemporary television comedy

Don't feel bad. I watched a couple of these based on all the buzz. Didn't find a single funny moment; isn't it supposed to be a comedy? But put on an episode of '30 Rock' or 'Archer' and I'm chucking all the way through. Different strokes, as they say. But people who find this show amusing are really stroking it differently, IMO.

#119 ·
I haven't had time to watch it. This past Sunday was season premier central. Monday was The Blacklist, Tuesday was Justified, tonight is AHS, etc. I'll catch it over the weekend.

This show caters to females probably, and is about the younger crowd's daily problems. Relationships, work issues, family issues, etc. Almost like a soap opera per se. Some people may not be into it

#122 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy  /t/1405809/girls-on-hbo-hd/90#post_24213751

Don't feel bad. I watched a couple of these based on all the buzz. Didn't find a single funny moment; isn't it supposed to be a comedy? But put on an episode of '30 Rock' or 'Archer' and I'm chucking all the way through. Different strokes, as they say. But people who find this show amusing are really stroking it differently, IMO.

It isn't a comedy. Some of the stuff is fun because society loves to laugh at oddness, but this is way deeper than any comedy would be. if you want a dumb comedy you can watch 2 Broke Girls (which is horrible).

#124 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by dminches  /t/1405809/girls-on-hbo-hd/100_100#post_24214180

Then why do you watch it?

I tried to give it another shot since nothing was on. Watched the first one, laughed once, didn't even finish watching the second.

#125 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaTaGuMp  /t/1405809/girls-on-hbo-hd/120#post_24215187

I tried to give it another shot since nothing was on. Watched the first one, laughed once, didn't even finish watching the second.

I really don't find it funny, but I find the writing is really insightful. There is a scene in the woods when Shoshana says to Adam, and I am paraphrasing "if you weren't such a loser and actually had something to do every day, like work, you wouldn't have been there to help Hannah get through her mental issues." I though that was brilliant, especially coming from Shohana who has an odd way of looking at everything.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.