'Revolution' on NBC - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 1984 Old 09-11-2012, 06:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 74
I just don't want this series to be a "Hunger Games the TV Show", seems they aiming at that with the TV Promos, only young people with bows and arrows are shown, a 1 second glimpse of the rest of the cast..

RIP Mom, we always love you 8/18/13
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 1984 Old 09-11-2012, 06:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 559
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLar View Post

I just don't want this series to be a "Hunger Games the TV Show", seems they aiming at that with the TV Promos, only young people with bows and arrows are shown, a 1 second glimpse of the rest of the cast..

I don't blame the producers for an attempt to capitalize on a very popular film .. the main plot is certainly not Hunger Games Lite ..

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?

post #273 of 1984 Old 09-11-2012, 09:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

Ummmm, you're wrong. But you have a perfect right to be! This is America!
The biggest cause of early onset diabetes in our society is the huge emphasis on simple carbohydrates (basically sugar in any form and processed white foods like white bread, flour, etc.) in the modern American diet. The body converts them to glucose which then spikes insulin levels (what's not burned is then turned to fat in the liver). After many years of this abuse, the pancreas and liver become so damaged they can no longer cope and external insulin is required to properly regulate the body's blood sugar levels. Presto - type 2 diabetes. There's a wealth of information about this online, there have been '60 Minutes' segments on it, books have been published on this subject, and at this point it's established science. In other words, what we now know is it's not the cheeseburger that's the real problem, it's the fluffy white bun it comes on. My new rules are pretty simple: don't eat anything that's white.
Like many middle aged Americans, my blood sugar levels had been creeping up for years and it had started to become a concern for my internist. Just for fun, before my spring checkup, I decided to eliminate all simple carbs, including all sugar and alcohol, from my diet. Ten days later I had my checkup and bloodwork done, as I've done twice a year for the last 20 years. When the results came back 4 days later, I immediately looked at my glucose levels - a 40 point drop! Then I flipped the page to check on my cholesterol level and here's where it gets interesting..... an equivalent 40 point drop! All in just 10 days. That's all it takes to get your blood sugar and lipid levels back on track. Oh, and I lost 8 pounds as well.
Bottom line - our modern American diet is killing us. Then Big Pharma manufactures drugs to counter those ill effects and charges us a pretty penny for it. Believe what you want, but doctors know better. My advice, and you're free to ignore it: listen to them.

You just proved my point. Sure we might be able to prevent it with diet (as I already said) but once it is damaged you need the medicine, without it you will die. Millions are at the point they need the medicine, millions would die without it.

post #274 of 1984 Old 09-11-2012, 11:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 371
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post

You just proved my point. Sure we might be able to prevent it with diet (as I already said) but once it is damaged you need the medicine, without it you will die. Millions are at the point they need the medicine, millions would die without it.
Well, yes and no. It depends how bad it is.

My Uncle rarely ever uses insulin, and even then he'd probably be OK without it. The thing is, he's very careful about what he eats and how much he exercises and he keeps on top of his levels. On the other hand, my sister in law would be toes up within weeks since she is very lax about that stuff and is pretty far into it.

Despite taking various blood pressure medicines and such, my parents would likely be OK in that regard. Simply no longer having access to processed foods containing a lot of salt would take care of most of that. Even salt by itself would be hard to come by. However, as a kidney transplant patient, my father would be in trouble if he couldn't continue to get the medicines he needs to keep his body from rejecting the kidney. My mother's biggest issue would likely be fending off people trying to raid her garden....
post #275 of 1984 Old 09-11-2012, 11:54 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 541
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post

Absent refined carbohydrates, your health indicators begin to improve immediately. Re-read my post where I describe a 40 point drop in both my glucose and cholesterol levels in just 10 days after eliminating that stuff. You quoted it, but you apparently didn't read it. I "needed" medicine too - a statin designed to lower my LDL levels. Took it for 10 years. I don't need it any longer, or at least as long as I stay away from refined carbs and sugar. It's really just that simple.

And that's my point. Many people who are on drugs to control metabolic inflammations could recover their health if they just started eating a healthy diet (and again, that doesn't exclude meat). Sure, some folks have permanently damaged their livers and pancreases and they would probably die. But millions more would live just fine without those drugs. It wouldn't be the medical holocaust you describe, not for those metabolic illnesses that are directly caused by our carb-heavy western diet.
jwebb1970 likes this.
post #276 of 1984 Old 09-11-2012, 12:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Honestly, I think the biggest killer would be lack of food supplies in urban areas. Once people couldn't just go to the nearest market to pick up groceries, many would simply have no clue what to do.

However, for those that would, I could totally see Central Park and other large open areas in cities becoming farm land, along with every open lot and rooftop.

Those in rural areas would likely be least affected.

I do think many areas would suddenly find themselves overrun with people from South of the border, not for jobs but for food. However, that might be offset by the extra labor they would provide to make up for the lack of farm machines.
post #277 of 1984 Old 09-11-2012, 01:26 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I grew up on a farm in Kansas. Unfortunately, I don't have the knowledge now to go back to farming. You must know where to plan, when to plan and what to plant. Something that requires years of learning - as they say.
post #278 of 1984 Old 09-11-2012, 01:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Looks absurd. First of all, it gave away everything in the trailer. Way too much information on the goings-on of the first episode or two (three?).

What was most absurd was how wonderfully clean it all was. The people. Their gorgeous hair and smooth skin. Their brand new clothes. IMPOSSIBLE.

Watch THE ROAD to learn what it would be like. Big3 Network Television is a turd.

This looks like JERICHO Part 2.

Vimeo is the home of the Super8 Shooter...
http://vimeo.com/super8shooter
post #279 of 1984 Old 09-11-2012, 02:30 PM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_Stevens View Post

First of all, it gave away everything in the trailer. Way too much information on the goings-on of the first episode or two (three?).

NBC is notorious for putting together previews that give away all key plot points. I normally watch all previews, however, for any show on NBC, I strictly avoid them. Their marketing department works under the philosophy that anything enticing that may happen must be heavily promoted all week so it draws as many new viewers as possible. How it may screw up the show for regular viewers is never taken into consideration.

If 'Newhart' had been on NBC, they would have had a finale promo that said "... and you'll never guess who shows up in Dick's bed" while showing a quick shot of Suzanne Pleshette.
post #280 of 1984 Old 09-12-2012, 11:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

Absent refined carbohydrates, your health indicators begin to improve immediately. Re-read my post where I describe a 40 point drop in both my glucose and cholesterol levels in just 10 days after eliminating that stuff. You quoted it, but you apparently didn't read it. I "needed" medicine too - a statin designed to lower my LDL levels. Took it for 10 years. I don't need it any longer, or at least as long as I stay away from refined carbs and sugar. It's really just that simple.
And that's my point. Many people who are on drugs to control metabolic inflammations could recover their health if they just started eating a healthy diet (and again, that doesn't exclude meat). Sure, some folks have permanently damaged their livers and pancreases and they would probably die. But millions more would live just fine without those drugs. It wouldn't be the medical holocaust you describe, not for those metabolic illnesses that are directly caused by our carb-heavy western diet.

Can a person in a world with no electricity, nothing being produced, no access to anything but what they can scavenge themselves, or attempt to plant themselves, where a simple nick can cause infection that goes unchecked, etc. etc., really ever have a "healthy" diet?

post #281 of 1984 Old 09-12-2012, 11:19 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_Stevens View Post

Looks absurd. First of all, it gave away everything in the trailer. Way too much information on the goings-on of the first episode or two (three?).
What was most absurd was how wonderfully clean it all was. The people. Their gorgeous hair and smooth skin. Their brand new clothes. IMPOSSIBLE.
Watch THE ROAD to learn what it would be like. Big3 Network Television is a turd.
This looks like JERICHO Part 2.

There would be plenty of new clothes for many, many years .. you would likely just toss what you were wearing and grab something new at the mall / Walmart, etc .. the same with toiletry products ..

Certainly not impossible ..

Who says you can't still look good after the End of the World as we know it .. wink.gif

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?

post #282 of 1984 Old 09-12-2012, 11:43 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post

There would be plenty of new clothes for many, many years .. you would likely just toss what you were wearing and grab something new at the mall / Walmart, etc .. the same with toiletry products ..
Who says you can't still look good after the End of the World as we know it .. wink.gif
Not to mention, people were able to get clean before electricity. People washed clothes before electricity.

Heck, makeup existed 300 years before electricity and running water and sewers existed hundreds of years before that. People seem to forget that most people didn't have electricity in this country until a few decades into the 20th century. Soap and laundry existed long before that.
post #283 of 1984 Old 09-12-2012, 05:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post

Not to mention all the women who appear to still shave legs/armpits.......or dudes who never seem to go beyond 2-3 days of facial stubble,

Money does not buy happiness. It can, however, buy you a giant boat that you can pull up alongside happiness. - David Lee Roth

post #284 of 1984 Old 09-12-2012, 05:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Sorry, but the need to find fault in this show is getting silly. We all know the nature of popular entertainment-the leads are going to be attractive. Thats a given. It didn't start or end with this show.

"There is no truth. There's just what you believe."
post #285 of 1984 Old 09-12-2012, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonwolf615 View Post

Sorry, but the need to find fault in this show is getting silly. We all know the nature of popular entertainment-the leads are going to be attractive. Thats a given. It didn't start or end with this show.

I don't think grooming habits will be the focus once the show starts. If it is, this show won't last very long anyway. There's just a limited number of things to discuss based on the trailer, and we've almost reached 300 posts.
post #286 of 1984 Old 09-12-2012, 07:33 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnS-MI View Post

If there is no electricity, do protons and electrons still have charge? If not, what holds matter together? If yes, why isn't there electricity? And how do the electrical functions in our nervous system still work?

Hopefully those are questions that will be answered as the season develops.

"What do you say Beckett. Wanna have a baby?" - Castle to Det. Beckett
"How Long have I been gone?" Alexis after arriving home and seeing Castle and Beckett w/ the baby - Castle - 11/25/13
Mr. Video
My Geek Images

post #287 of 1984 Old 09-13-2012, 06:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvideo View Post

Hopefully those are questions that will be answered as the season develops.
Personally, I seriously doubt it. This show doesn't "feel" like a science fiction show. If it is a "dark human drama" then they will throw us the premise then ignore it to examine human interactions. They might tease us but any technical information/resolutions will probably be reserved for the series (not season) finale.

Sturgeon's Law: "Nothing is always absolutely so."
Sturgeons Revelation: "Ninety percent of everything is crud."
My Thoughts: "A reasoned argument must share some basic common points."
post #288 of 1984 Old 09-13-2012, 06:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 697
Watched the pilot last night. I liked it. Too bad NBC will cancel it without letting it reach any potential it had. It's very similar to the Postman in vibe and the Dies the Fire books that people are mentioning. At least one moment gave me hope Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
the poison liquor bottle move
post #289 of 1984 Old 09-13-2012, 07:02 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPanther95 View Post

I don't think grooming habits will be the focus once the show starts. If it is, this show won't last very long anyway. There's just a limited number of things to discuss based on the trailer, and we've almost reached 300 posts.

Yep, the thread may be the longest in history before a show even airs .. and much of the posts complaints ..

post #290 of 1984 Old 09-13-2012, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post

Watched the pilot last night. I liked it. Too bad NBC will cancel it without letting it reach any potential it had. It's very similar to the Postman in vibe and the Dies the Fire books that people are mentioning. At least one moment gave me hope Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
the poison liquor bottle move

I hope so. I'm one of the dozen people that thought The Postman was a great movie, and not a minute too long.
post #291 of 1984 Old 09-13-2012, 11:18 AM
AVS Special Member

At least we have plenty of Giancarlo Esposito in the first episode, while the promos show him for a split second..

post #292 of 1984 Old 09-13-2012, 11:26 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPanther95 View Post

I hope so. I'm one of the dozen people that thought The Postman was a great movie, and not a minute too long.
Yeah, me too. But who are the other 10?
post #293 of 1984 Old 09-13-2012, 11:37 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsambuca View Post

Well, Costner, his mom and the guy who edited it would be three...

...then there's that kid living in a bubble who's stuck with a VHS player. He also has the original ET release in the green plastic tape casing.
post #294 of 1984 Old 09-13-2012, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkTV View Post

Well, Costner, his mom and the guy who edited it would be three...
...then there's that kid living in a bubble who's stuck with a VHS player. He also has the original ET release in the green plastic tape casing.

You know what "ET" is short for?
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Because of his little legs. (sorry, I know not hilarious, but just finished re-watching 'Extras' on HBOGO and that one made me chuckle)
post #295 of 1984 Old 09-13-2012, 12:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsambuca View Post

One of my faves.
post #296 of 1984 Old 09-13-2012, 12:06 PM
AVS Special Member

post #297 of 1984 Old 09-13-2012, 02:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I watched it on OnDemand...liked it. Good for a little release from our way of life. Made me think, my Son is 200 miles away at College...imagine this happening....

Peachtree City Golf Cart Rider
post #298 of 1984 Old 09-13-2012, 06:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 26
I would watch it OnDemand but for some strange reason all NBC shows on FIOS HD OnDemand are in stereo only. I'll just record it Mon so I can watch it in full 5.1DD.

XBOX Live: Wagmman
PSN: Wagg
BFBC2: Wagman
Steam: Wag

My Second Life character looks and acts exactly like me except he can fly.
post #299 of 1984 Old 09-14-2012, 08:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLar View Post

At least we have plenty of Giancarlo Esposito in the first episode, while the promos show him for a split second..
We'll have to see how (and if) his role plays out on Revolution.... but in any case he's extremely versatile.
He plays a triple role in the "Once Upon a Time" series (Sidney Glass / Magic Mirror / Genie). And of course the calm/cold/deadly drug lord "Gus Fring" in Breaking Bad where's he's absolutely terrifying and charming at the same time.

"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure...."

post #300 of 1984 Old 09-14-2012, 08:32 AM
AVS Special Member

He's the "easy on the eyes yoou wouldn't think he's a bad guy" kind of roles

Reply HDTV Programming

Tags
Revolution The Complete First Season Blu Ray Dvd

User Tag List