post #361 of 1982 Old 09-19-2012, 06:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked: 609
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonwolf615 View Post

You know, I watched the 1st episode of Strikeback and had the same reaction to that. To me it seemed like dumbed down MI-5, but now everybody is singing its praises on the forum. Calling it "mindless fun" and "a guilty pleasure". Well, to each his own. Revolution is what I call mindless fun, at least so far. All the complaints about it not being credible seem to me to be missing the point.

Yep .. sometimes it takes a while for a series to find it's legs .. then, suddenly, everyone starts crowing about it ..

I'm going to continue to give this one a chance ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 1982 Old 09-19-2012, 06:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 49
The show was basically the extended version of the preview. Very little that wasn't already seen other than Monroe. They seemed to blow through all these things to get to the premise of the show. I think it went a little too fast. The characters have no chemistry at all. I'll watch the next couple of episodes to see if it gets any better.
post #363 of 1982 Old 09-19-2012, 07:15 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 414
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonwolf615 View Post

You know, I watched the 1st episode of Strikeback and had the same reaction to that. To me it seemed like dumbed down MI-5, but now everybody is singing its praises on the forum. Calling it "mindless fun" and "a guilty pleasure". Well, to each his own. Revolution is what I call mindless fun, at least so far. All the complaints about it not being credible seem to me to be missing the point.
Maybe some of us are tired of every SciFi orentated show being "mindless fun" and a "guilty pleasure". Perhaps the viewer isn't missing the point so much as the writers missing the point of the "Sci" part of the category.

It seems like these shows quickly become teen angst dramas while the main mechansim behind the show becomes a minor player.
post #364 of 1982 Old 09-19-2012, 08:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkTV View Post

Maybe some of us are tired of every SciFi orentated show being "mindless fun" and a "guilty pleasure". .

I think this is more of a "what if" type of show than real SciFi though. Its got about as much to do with real science as Mad Max had to do with nuclear war. At least thats how I'm approaching it.

"There is no truth. There's just what you believe."
post #365 of 1982 Old 09-19-2012, 08:26 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I thought it was pretty bad but I'll stick around for a few more episodes.
The scene the had my shaking my head the most(and there were quite a few of them) was when the girl shot one of the bad guys the uncle was fighting and the whole fight paused for a couple seconds. Everybody just stopped, you could even see one of the minions right behind the uncle just stop, as the uncle give some kind of approving glance at the girl.
The future love interest between the young girl and the militia boy would probably be a beating to watch.

That said, I believe it can get better.
Did Monroe put ice in his drink? Unless it was freezing outside, how did that happen?
post #366 of 1982 Old 09-19-2012, 08:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 300
Quote:

Maybe some of us are tired of every SciFi orentated show being "mindless fun" and a "guilty pleasure". Perhaps the viewer isn't missing the point so much as the writers missing the point of the "Sci" part of the category.
It seems like these shows quickly become teen angst dramas while the main mechansim behind the show becomes a minor player.

IMO it was unrealistic to consider this show in the SciFi category to begin with. It was obvious from the trailer that the SciFi element was only the initiating mechanism to make the world the way it is and that it would play little to no role in the weekly workings of the series. It's an action/adventure series at its core. The wisdom of going in that direction is another matter entirely.
post #367 of 1982 Old 09-19-2012, 09:02 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post

IMO it was unrealistic to consider this show in the SciFi category to begin with. It was obvious from the trailer that the SciFi element was only the initiating mechanism to make the world the way it is and that it would play little to no role in the weekly workings of the series. It's an action/adventure series at its core. The wisdom of going in that direction is another matter entirely.

I tend to agree with this .. it's not really Sci Fi, IMO ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #368 of 1982 Old 09-19-2012, 09:38 AM
AVS Addicted Member

http://www.cnn.com/2012/09/19/showbiz/tv/nbc-fall-tv-winning-ew/index.html?hpt=hp_bn9

Uncle Willie

post #369 of 1982 Old 09-19-2012, 10:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 174
Surprised everyone is complaining about the lighs going out in sequence and the plans. Don't the complainers realize that this was not an event that the power just turned off, something else was happening. I think they made it really clear by showing you the electronics acting up, static, going all "wonky" THEN turning off. They even made a point to through the line in that physics went all crazy. What do the complainers think, they ignoring these parts? The impact was probably cascaded across the globe, not a flick the switch kind of thing. As it spread out, things went crazy and then went out. They made a point to show us things blinking in and out, phones going crazy, etc. If you look at some of the planes coming down, the lights are acting weird, like they were impacted too. They are plummeting from a combination of the planes becoming a floating rock and not made for gliding and the fact that physics went all crazy, causing the planes to start a tail spin. They threw that line in there to help explain things, but everyone seems to want to gloss over this and continue to think it was a light switch turn off kind of thing.

My dissapoint was in the acting, little rough at times, but still not worth making me stop watching it.

Looks like the mobile device thing either is generating an electrical current that can be taped into, but I was thinking, perhaps it is something that acutally cancels out the effect in a local area, letting stuff go back to normal meaning whatever caused this is still continually going on, preventing things from turning on. However, that doesn't explain my biggest complaint, ok, it cancels the affect or provides power, but how did the device that would need to be somewhere that allows them to communicate get power (i.e. a router or switch)??

post #370 of 1982 Old 09-19-2012, 10:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakestir View Post

Did Monroe put ice in his drink? Unless it was freezing outside, how did that happen?

There are ways (chemically) to produce ice or more precisely "freezing" temperatures (don't ask me how ... not a chemist biggrin.gif ) without the need for electricity. It's considered "impractical" in the modern age.

Then again, I might have seen it in a movie somewhere ... wink.gif
post #371 of 1982 Old 09-19-2012, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post

Looks like the mobile device thing either is generating an electrical current that can be taped into, but I was thinking, perhaps it is something that acutally cancels out the effect in a local area, letting stuff go back to normal meaning whatever caused this is still continually going on, preventing things from turning on. However, that doesn't explain my biggest complaint, ok, it cancels the affect or provides power, but how did the device that would need to be somewhere that allows them to communicate get power (i.e. a router or switch)??

^ ^ ^ Yes, and the "dad" who came home all worked up warned of what was going to happen. HE told his wife "It's all going down we don;t have much time". So, while the voice over during the "15 Years Later" says "What the hell happened?"; the guy obviously had some kind of fore knowledge that power and physics(?) were going to crash. And why did some people have the "device"? They obviously knew something was going to happen. And who was the black woman conversing with on the computer when she powered it up? So. . . . they thew in enough cliff hangers to be answered.
post #372 of 1982 Old 09-19-2012, 10:33 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 21
I'll keep watching as long as there are scenes of Gus Fring being a bad ass. Since he got kicked off Breaking Bad, I have to get my fix wherever I can find him. smile.gif

The rest of it looked like a college film student project.
post #373 of 1982 Old 09-19-2012, 10:37 AM

Another thing that bothered me was they didn't make the main girl very likable.
The first moment we see her as a little kid she is ignoring her mother, then flash forward and she is still being very disrespectful. What a #*&^* from the start. But I guess this way we'll see her evolve.
post #374 of 1982 Old 09-19-2012, 10:43 AM

Liked: 12
once the power stops for these nuclear plants in the world, its game over for humankind...
but hey its just a tv show...
post #375 of 1982 Old 09-19-2012, 11:13 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 815
Quote:

Surprised everyone is complaining about the lighs going out in sequence and the plans. Don't the complainers realize that this was not an event that the power just turned off, something else was happening. I think they made it really clear by showing you the electronics acting up, static, going all "wonky" THEN turning off.
God or a massive solar flare...no other explanation is logical.

Quote:
They even made a point to through the line in that physics went all crazy.
What do the complainers think, they ignoring these parts? The impact was probably cascaded across the globe, not a flick the switch kind of thing. As it spread out, things went crazy and then went out. They made a point to show us things blinking in and out, phones going crazy, etc. If you look at some of the planes coming down, the lights are acting weird, like they were impacted too. They are plummeting from a combination of the planes becoming a floating rock and not made for gliding and the fact that physics went all crazy, causing the planes to start a tail spin. They threw that line in there to help explain things, but everyone seems to want to gloss over this and continue to think it was a light switch turn off kind of thing.
Physics can't go all "crazy" (unless there is a supernatural cause tongue.gif).
It's a B.S. explanation by the showrunners who believe the audience is ignorant of what physics is about.wink.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phase700B View Post

So, while the voice over during the "15 Years Later" says "What the hell happened?"
15 years later and no one has a clue?rolleyes.gif
The first thing humans would have done, after finding food and shelter, would have been to find the cause....it would be Job One.
Once the cause is determined, the electrical grid would have been re-built (with safegards to prevent future occurrences) at a speed never seen before in human history.
There are millions of engineers around the world who would know exactly how.

Other problems:
15 years later and people are hunting animals?rolleyes.gif
Humans, faced with starvation, would have killed all large living things on the planet within a few years.

Firearms and/or ammunition will be scarce?rolleyes.gif
Making firearms and ammunition pre-dates the use of electricity by centuries.

I could go on....

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
post #376 of 1982 Old 09-19-2012, 11:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 26
As to those who said how fast they found the uncle in Chicago, the dad whilst dying said look for him at THE GRAND in Chicago. Its not like the just happened upon him by chance.

Argee
post #377 of 1982 Old 09-19-2012, 11:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

That said, I believe it can get better.

"Old school" technology was to cut blocks of ice from lakes and store them for the year covered in sawdust inside (somewhat) insulated ice houses. The blocks were then used as a principal means of refrigeration. The original "ice boxes" were just that, a box for holding blocks of ice and the things you wanted to keep cold. Very common in the 1800's and early 1900's.
jakestir likes this.
post #378 of 1982 Old 09-19-2012, 12:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Lucca View Post

I missed the first minute or so. Where are Billy Burke, and friend, [who always plays an A-hole], when the lights went out??? Where was the encampment that Gus Fring came to and killed the father??? They walked to Lou Malnati's in Chicago, from where???

Not really specified. The two guys were on a highway somewhere and walked back to an Army base. (if I had caught the name, that would place it). The encampment was apparently a subdivision somewhere in suburbia, maybe even where they lived before the blackout. There may have been a sign with a name, but, frankly, the show doesn't warrant that level of attention.

The girl started walking for Chicago late in the day (she was advised to get a good night's sleep first), was out one night that we saw and apparently arrived the next day, not sure of time of day. Maybe 20 miles or so northwest of Chicage. They passed O'Hare.
post #379 of 1982 Old 09-19-2012, 12:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnS-MI View Post

"Old school" technology was to cut blocks of ice from lakes and store them for the year covered in sawdust inside (somewhat) insulated ice houses. The blocks were then used as a principal means of refrigeration. The original "ice boxes" were just that, a box for holding blocks of ice and the things you wanted to keep cold. Very common in the 1800's and early 1900's.
Yes, but there are also convection methods that use chemicals (like ether) instead of electricity to draw out heat. It's the same priciple as a modern fridge or freezer, just without a condenser motor.

You don't need ice to make ice or store it.

In fact, you can use steam power to make ice. It sounds counterintuitive, but heat can make things very cold.
post #380 of 1982 Old 09-19-2012, 12:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 720
Quote:

Another thing that bothered me was they didn't make the main girl very likable.
The first moment we see her as a little kid she is ignoring her mother, then flash forward and she is still being very disrespectful. What a #*&^* from the start. But I guess this way we'll see her evolve.
Typical modern kid.
post #381 of 1982 Old 09-19-2012, 12:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 720
One Second After covers most of the "right after" of an event similar to this with both feet in logic. It would be a very tough 15 years.
post #382 of 1982 Old 09-19-2012, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVChallenged View Post

There are ways (chemically) to produce ice or more precisely "freezing" temperatures (don't ask me how ... not a chemist biggrin.gif ) without the need for electricity. It's considered "impractical" in the modern age.
Then again, I might have seen it in a movie somewhere ... wink.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnS-MI View Post

Quote:

Yes, but there are also convection methods that use chemicals (like ether) instead of electricity to draw out heat. It's the same priciple as a modern fridge or freezer, just without a condenser motor.
In fact, you can use steam power to make ice. It sounds counterintuitive, but heat can make things very cold.

^Awesome guys! I'm getting my learnin' on today.
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post

Typical modern kid.

Sad but true.
All I know is if one of my young ones ignores me when I'm talking, the TV goes off instantly. I don't just walk away.mad.gif

Is it too early for predictions? I'm calling some kind of not of this world/alien tech......or magic glowing hole.
wink.gif
post #383 of 1982 Old 09-19-2012, 03:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Actually modern compressors ONLY need electricity to turn the compressor. You could use a water wheel, wind mill, diesel engine, steam engine (I suppose not a gasoline engine, spark plugs, you know). Except as a source of mechanical power, electricity has nothing to do with the refrigeration cycle which is based on compression/expansion of a gas. (There is a Peltier junction, but it is only used for rather small-scale refrigeration. Anything large scale uses compressors.)

There are also propane refrigerators, but the efficiency is nothing like a compressor.

Edit: Based on the technology bootstrapping they HAVEN'T developed in 15 years, I'm convinced they killed all the engineers, and any ice was saved from last winter in an ice house.

They should have diesel and steam engines, therefore mechanical agriculture, and be well on their way to duplicating the industrial revolution. Slackers.
post #384 of 1982 Old 09-19-2012, 06:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 14
is nbc's revolution episodes available online? so that i can watch it when i want to.
post #385 of 1982 Old 09-19-2012, 07:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 55
If you have digital cable, check the OnDemand section for it. Hulu has had it up for over a week now. And NBC.com should also have it.

Dazed and confused over high tech.

Sigh...Concrap. The Internet Overlord Cometh
They're not com-tastic!
post #386 of 1982 Old 09-19-2012, 09:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by mphtrilogy View Post

once the power stops for these nuclear plants in the world, its game over for humankind...
but hey its just a tv show...
- It's possible in the "Revolution" universe, there were no nuclear power plants. smile.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

15 years later and people are hunting animals?rolleyes.gif
Humans, faced with starvation, would have killed all large living things on the planet within a few years.
- Not everyone has the skill to hunt wild animals. Look at the number of people that actually hunt compared to the ones who have never done so.
post #387 of 1982 Old 09-20-2012, 03:58 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tokerblue View Post

- It's possible in the "Revolution" universe, there were no nuclear power plants. smile.gif
I'm going to assume one of two things:

1) The writers are going to simply ignore the ramifications of such a thing. Even with what happened in Japan, there are still likely plenty of people that don't understand you can't just have the power shut off at a Nuclear power plant and not have really bad things happen.

2) They'll address it somehow to have people that are involved in this vast conspiracy of taking our power from us will have also been involved with either a) shutting down the plants safely or b) are running them within some sort of protective bubble since the power for the lady's computer at the end had to come from somewhere besides loading up on a lot of beans.
Quote:
- Not everyone has the skill to hunt wild animals. Look at the number of people that actually hunt compared to the ones who have never done so.
I've never hunted before, but if faced with starvation, I'd likely be out there biting me some lion flank and whatever else I could pounce on.
post #388 of 1982 Old 09-20-2012, 05:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Well I watched it last night and I must say it isn't nearly as bad as some people here say it is. The thing that struck me was at the end where the medallion was used to generate power. I'm thinking this series will be more mystical than sci-fi. But it could involve some unknown alien tech that some secret society has kept hidden. I'll be watching next week for sure.
post #389 of 1982 Old 09-20-2012, 05:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

God or a massive solar flare...no other explanation is logical.
Once the cause is determined, the electrical grid would have been re-built (with safegards to prevent future occurrences) at a speed never seen before in human history.
There are millions of engineers around the world who would know exactly how.

Electricity doesn't work anymore, they could try all they wanted to rebuild it, but it will not work as electricity cannot be generated anymore (at least that is what I got from everything they said in 40 some odd minutes).

post #390 of 1982 Old 09-20-2012, 05:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Electricity doesn't work anymore, they could try all they wanted to rebuild it, but it will not work as electricity cannot be generated anymore (at least that is what I got from everything they said in 40 some odd minutes).
The scene at the end clearly shows electricity does work. Something is just preventing it at the moment.
Reply HDTV Programming

Tags
Revolution The Complete First Season Blu Ray Dvd

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page