post #451 of 1982 Old 09-21-2012, 06:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 818
Quote:
Originally Posted by Argee View Post

Not to knock FIREFLY but "serious SF" with 6 shooters in space?
(and lest we forget the writers did not know the difference between a solar system and a galaxy. This gaffe was fixed later in the run tho)
Yeah, the six-shooter was pretty damn stupid, but it did give an inkling into what the showrunners were (excuse the pun) aiming for; more of a very light sci-fi backdrop with alot of parody or send-ups of the genre.
However breezily entertaining Firefly/Serenity was, certainly it can't be considered "serious" sci-fi.wink.gif

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 1982 Old 09-21-2012, 06:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkTV View Post

I know I wouldn't want to be caught with my ramrod in my barrel when someone is trying to kill me.
Me neither. How embarrassing would that be...

~Tighr: Not helping the situation since 1983

post #453 of 1982 Old 09-21-2012, 07:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Church AV Guy View Post

Hey, I haven't seen one guy take on and defeat so many better armed attackers since Bruce Lee. That sequence was purely fiction, if not science fiction. Yeah, I know, we were told that he was very good at fighting, or killing, but really, THAT good? And... he appeared to be drunk, or getting there, at the time!eek.gif

Just think how quick he could have dispatched the bad guys if he'd been sober. wink.gif

Quote:

Her and Walt Disney... wink.gif

And Ted Williams . . .
Quote:
Originally Posted by tighr View Post

Me neither. How embarrassing would that be...

I remember an old movie where the guy shot the ramrod.

In space, no one can hear you scream . . .
post #454 of 1982 Old 09-22-2012, 05:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I scratched my head when the order went from: "Monroe wants him alive." To "kill him." The general would not be pleased to learn that both brothers had been killed instead of captured.
post #455 of 1982 Old 09-22-2012, 05:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post

Just think how quick he could have dispatched the bad guys if he'd been sober. wink.gif
Or, perhaps he's like "Bender" from "Futurama", who is more capable the more drunk he gets.
Quote:

You may be thinking "Sharpe's Rifles", part of the "Sharpe Series":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVcuNuRFVFU
post #456 of 1982 Old 09-22-2012, 07:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPanther95 View Post

You can tell those weren't revolvers because when they put the butt of the gun on the floor, the muzzle was at nipple height. Revolvers are generally shorter. wink.gif

Yes I know they weren't revolvers, was just being pedantic tongue.gif Still I'd take a muzzle loading rifle with a nice long bayonet over a sword.
post #457 of 1982 Old 09-22-2012, 08:01 AM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by lobosrul View Post

Yes I know they weren't revolvers, was just being pedantic tongue.gif Still I'd take a muzzle loading rifle with a nice long bayonet over a sword.

Challenge Accepted! biggrin.gif
post #458 of 1982 Old 09-22-2012, 08:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:

Sounds like a great pay-per-view, send us a link when it's set up.

Ray
"You cannot reason a person out of a position he did not reason himself into in the first place." -Jonathan Swift
post #459 of 1982 Old 09-22-2012, 08:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lobosrul View Post

Quote:

Same here, if it comes down to hand to hand.

I'll take the ability to hack and slash over having only blocking and thrusting abilities with a bayonet any day. That, of course, assumes I have a proper sword that isn't going to snap in two when hit with a gun barrel.

Most people have no clue how to fight with swords or knives properly, so proper fencing techniques aren't going to apply. It would be like trying to use proper boxing techniques in a street fight - you'll get your a** kicked. Me, I'm going to kick everyone coming at me in the nuts, gouge their eyes, punch every soft body part left open to me and bite anyone that puts themselves in reach of my mouth.

It isn't fighting dirty if the other guy doesn't live to tell on you.
post #460 of 1982 Old 09-22-2012, 08:33 AM

All I know is if I get my off-hand on the barrel of a rifle, the shooter has no leverage to point the business end someplace I don't want him to - grabbing a swinging sword is much more problematic.
post #461 of 1982 Old 09-22-2012, 08:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post

I've been a Sci Fi fan since the early 1960's .. and my question was related to TV shows .. I don't recall any Zone / OL / or Trek that did not have something that could be picked apart ..
My point is, for all the whining on the thread about this and that .. name me one show / one episode that would stand the test that deals with what some call Hard Sci Fi ..

I'm only up to the third season, and I'll admit the start of the series wasn't too promising. But as far as "serious Sci-Fi" thats also entertaining, Fringe works for me.

"There is no truth. There's just what you believe."
post #462 of 1982 Old 09-22-2012, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonwolf615 View Post

I'm only up to the third season, and I'll admit the start of the series wasn't too promising. But as far as "serious Sci-Fi" thats also entertaining, Fringe works for me.

Fringe has done a good job keeping a decent main story arc going instead of falling back on just the procedural freak-of-the week format.
post #463 of 1982 Old 09-22-2012, 09:30 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked: 650
Black Powder Rifle vs Blade .. my 50 cal longrifle would make a heck of a club .. I'd venture to guess one solid hit about anywhere would do some damage ..

I'd take a tomahawk myself ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #464 of 1982 Old 09-22-2012, 10:43 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post

Black Powder Rifle vs Blade .. my 50 cal longrifle would make a heck of a club .. I'd venture to guess one solid hit about anywhere would do some damage ..
I'd take a tomahawk myself ..
...or some other kind of hatchet-type device. They're nice and light, but have the ability to immobilize. Plus, you don't need as much room to swing them, meaning you don't leave yourself open to counterattack while you're swinging.
post #465 of 1982 Old 09-22-2012, 02:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 818
Well, if you guys want to see some some SERIOUS hatchet action, check this movie out:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1230385/

Having watch it, all I can say is: my, oh, my....tongue.gif

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
post #466 of 1982 Old 09-22-2012, 09:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post

I've seen that happen more than once at Civil War reenactments by accident. Luckily, nobody was hurt on either occasion. Unlike the time I saw a canon go off while a guy was still ramming the powder down the barrel.
post #467 of 1982 Old 09-23-2012, 02:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 858 Post(s)
Liked: 532
Quote:

Fringe has done a good job keeping a decent main story arc going instead of falling back on just the procedural freak-of-the week format.

Once they decided to stop trying to get casual viewers, the show really started to move. There will always be someone to pick somethign out though, thats just the nature of the beast......Fringe is one of my favorite shows on TV right now, sadly the beginning of the end starts this week....
post #468 of 1982 Old 09-24-2012, 08:37 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by tphill5999 View Post

I am trying to like the show , But unless they can explain how there is no radaiton fallout from the following nuclear unit not having cooling for it reactor , one may not want to be anywhere near Chicago. The LaSalle Count Station Unit 1 would release radation when there is no electricity to keep the rods cool when that plant shut down. LaSalle County Generating Station is located in rural LaSalle County in northern Illinois, about 75 miles southwest of Chicago.
http://www.nrc.gov/info-finder/reactor/lasa1.html
Remember Fukushima Daiichi incident last year
Following a major earthquake, a 15-metre tsunami disabled the power supply and cooling of three Fukushima Daiichi reactors, causing a nuclear accident on 11 March 2011.

All three cores largely melted in the first three days.
http://www.world-nuclear.org/info/fukushima_accident_inf129.html

The writers need to says if Nuclear Plants exist in the Revolution world . Tonight they were in Pontiac , Illinois outside of Chicago. They would have walked by the radiation zone of LaSalle Unit 1 and Unit 2 reactors and also Braidwood Station Unit 1 and Unit 2 and also Dresden Unit 1 and Unit 2 if they walk down I -55 south of Chicago.

These 6 Reactor unit are so close to each other. Even if the rest of the United State viewing audience can have a moment of disbelief, how can people living southwest of Joliet ,Illinois even wonder how the writers could have overlooked 6 units so close to each other, not cause that area to be a hot spot for 100 years or more? The radiation fallout maps of these unit overlap each other. ( use link below and zoom in to the area).

http://www.nrdc.org/nuclear/fallout/

When there is no electric to keep the water flowing so that the rods do not melt in the containment building or the spent rod pools onsite, the release of radiation would be something never seen before in history.
post #469 of 1982 Old 09-25-2012, 06:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Better then first episode, story starting to flesh out. Seems they are moving the story and a decent clip.
post #470 of 1982 Old 09-25-2012, 06:19 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Liked: 751
It's a TV show. Every TV show ever made has taken liberties. They don't follow the rules of reality.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #471 of 1982 Old 09-25-2012, 07:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

It's a TV show. Every TV show ever made has taken liberties. They don't follow the rules of reality.

unless its a future/scifi or pure fantasy - people expect the plot points to at least be quasi-believable.
as of now - they're really stretching it.

The average person doesn't think about the nuclear plants - so ignoring them doesn't bother me too much.

But they better do better than the laws of physics were completely thrown out the window (at least the ones they felt were convenient for the story)
post #472 of 1982 Old 09-25-2012, 09:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked: 887
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

Well, if you guys want to see some some SERIOUS hatchet action, check this movie out:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1230385/
Having watch it, all I can say is: my, oh, my....tongue.gif

Not hatchets but knives glorious knives...
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0269347/
post #473 of 1982 Old 09-25-2012, 10:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked: 887
Quote:

Get your logic off the internet...we need our hands held and the plot holes filled by the content producers at least until an app does more thinking for us. smile.gif
post #474 of 1982 Old 09-25-2012, 11:21 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Sure, but they usually follow enough of the rules of reality to be credible.

I didn't have a problem with the fact that the detectives of NYPD Blue often solved complicated cases in a single day. I also was willing to forgive getting DNA results in the time it takes to do a music montage on CSI. I would, however, have a problem with them showing up using jet packs and Laser guns.

They got enough stuff right that most people watching wouldn't realize the stuff they got wrong.

It's one thing to have things be way off course from reality if they take place far in the future or in some parallel dimension. It's another to have it start in our present reality and have it skew off to something that couldn't occur without many of the issues people have brought up here.

Sure, it's easy to say, "it's just TV - go with it".

The thing is, we're sitting here finding these issues without the benefit of "expert consultants" looking over our shoulders. Would it kill the writers who do have this support to at least put some kind of plot device in there to address those things?

We don't need our hands held here. We just want to know the writers are thinking about this stuff. If they do, it makes it easier to forgive the less "sciency" stuff.
post #475 of 1982 Old 09-25-2012, 11:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 54
This show is like The Event all over again. So-so writing, decent acting, and just enough mystery and suspense to lure you back in when you're ready to dump it.
post #476 of 1982 Old 09-25-2012, 11:52 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I like it, but don't love it. My only hope is that its seems dumbed down enough that the general population will watch it and it won't get cancelled. The acting is meh! and the editing seems off.
post #477 of 1982 Old 09-25-2012, 02:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRM4 View Post

This show is like The Event all over again. So-so writing, decent acting, and just enough mystery and suspense to lure you back in when you're ready to dump it.
The show isn't even up to The Event standards so far. Set design is really cool, but writing is pretty poor, especially considering it's a JJ Abrams show. Compared to another JJ show, Person of Interest, it doesn't even come close. If things don't pick up in the next few episodes I might drop the show. There just doesn't seem to be enough to hold me.

A better, similar show of this type which you can catch on Netflix streaming is the cancelled BBC show Survivors. Great stuff.

XBOX Live: Wagmman
PSN: Wagg
BFBC2: Wagman
Steam: Wag

My Second Life character looks and acts exactly like me except he can fly.
post #478 of 1982 Old 09-25-2012, 04:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:

Sure, it's easy to say, "it's just TV - go with it".
The thing is, we're sitting here finding these issues without the benefit of "expert consultants" looking over our shoulders. Would it kill the writers who do have this support to at least put some kind of plot device in there to address those things?
- The writers still may address the whole nuclear issue. It's only two shows in. Besides, being scientifically correct doesn't always make an entertaining experience. Imagine if every Sci-Fi show or movie had silent space battles. smile.gif
post #479 of 1982 Old 09-25-2012, 04:56 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 17
So the Mom is alive and her children don't know that. In a flash back Mom blows the guy away when Dad could not. Apparently Mom and Dad parted ways? When Dad gets shot he tells his daughter to seek out the Uncle, not Mom. From next week's preview looks like the uncle is the rogue General who by sending out the militia got Dad killed. Did I miss anything?
post #480 of 1982 Old 09-25-2012, 05:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 66
I am willing to suspend disbelief regarding nuclear power, for the sake of the show. This to me is not a deal breaker. If the source of the power outage turns out to be magic, though, I'm out.

~Tighr: Not helping the situation since 1983

Reply HDTV Programming

Tags
Revolution The Complete First Season Blu Ray Dvd

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page