'Revolution' on NBC - Page 19 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #541 of 1984 Old 10-03-2012, 07:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 32
And of course in more bad guy stuff you take the prisoner and leave all his co horts behind so they can catch up and ambus you later. Uhhh no.

Sent from my SCH-I405 using Tapatalk 2

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 1984 Old 10-03-2012, 07:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 304 Post(s)
Liked: 276
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgathright View Post

I am still watching it for now, but the Neice is getting on my nerves real quick with her "don't kill attitude". Hopefully she turns that attitude around once she kills a few more men. If this turns into a romance I am gone.

Of course she didnt ahve any issues killing the men on the bridge, she used her crossbow to take out at least 1 at close range.

I ahve to agree with most of the statements on her, that neice drives me up a wall. Im not sure how much longer ill stick with this show, but Ill give it a few more epsiodes to get its feet.
post #543 of 1984 Old 10-03-2012, 07:18 AM

Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkTV View Post

Because that would violate the rules of bad guys going after someone. It doesn't matter how many strong you are, you're obligated to attack the good guy one at a time.

biggrin.gif lol....I know, I know, but that was such a terrible plan on many levels.
"I don't know how many bullets he has, but he will run out eventually...Bob, go out there" ...rolleyes.gif
post #544 of 1984 Old 10-03-2012, 07:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 393
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakestir View Post

biggrin.gif lol....I know, I know, but that was such a terrible plan on many levels.
"I don't know how many bullets he has, but he will run out eventually...Bob, go out there" ...rolleyes.gif
Oh, no doubt.

How did they know he didn't have a gym bag full of it. Sure, they'd likely know how many the guy who they stole the rifle had, but who's to say they hadn't aquired more rounds elsewhere? I would make the assumption that they would have the means to get more bullets if they went through all the trouble to get the thing. As a result, I would not just send people out there to get shot just in hopes I have more guys than he has bullets.

Apparently military tactics have gone back to the "revolution"ary period, too...

I'm waiting for the first person who gets served orange juice who says "wow, I haven't had this in 15 years...it's in a real glass and everything...!"
post #545 of 1984 Old 10-03-2012, 08:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
The neice reminds me of tyler on v who was also a character I hated passiionately.

Sent from my SCH-I405 using Tapatalk 2

post #546 of 1984 Old 10-03-2012, 09:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by daryl zero View Post

I couldn't make it through the 3rd show. That was so bad. Erase season pass.

This.

Kaboom.
post #547 of 1984 Old 10-03-2012, 10:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightHawk View Post

This is one dumb show. I was predictably dissappointed and done after just one episode.
Network TV drama just looks so pathetic these days when compared to the other choices available. .

+1. We are a nation of idiots. This show puts such on display.smile.gif

Why is it so hard to make a 'smart' series?! This is the maybe 2nd or 3rd series I've tried watching in the last 3 years and it is another dud with dumb writing and acting.

It is somewhat reminiscent of 'The Event' which died a quick death.

Actually, The Event did not die a quick death, but a slow, lingering hanging-on-by-its-fingernails grim death. Revolution has been given a full season order, so it is not in the same situation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgathright View Post

I am still watching it for now, but the Neice is getting on my nerves real quick with her "don't kill attitude". Hopefully she turns that attitude around once she kills a few more men. If this turns into a romance I am gone.

Of course she didnt ahve any issues killing the men on the bridge, she used her crossbow to take out at least 1 at close range.

I ahve to agree with most of the statements on her, that neice drives me up a wall. Im not sure how much longer ill stick with this show, but Ill give it a few more epsiodes to get its feet.

I agree that she is a very inconsistently written character. They should know better.

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
post #548 of 1984 Old 10-03-2012, 11:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland View Post

+1. We are a nation of idiots. This show puts such on display.smile.gif
Why is it so hard to make a 'smart' series?! This is the maybe 2nd or 3rd series I've tried watching in the last 3 years and it is another dud with dumb writing and acting.
It is somewhat reminiscent of 'The Event' which died a quick death.

probably because "smart" shows like Fringe don't get a large audience
post #549 of 1984 Old 10-03-2012, 01:56 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Church AV Guy View Post

Actually, The Event did not die a quick death, but a slow, lingering hanging-on-by-its-fingernails grim death. Revolution has been given a full season order, so it is not in the same situation.
From what I read in a recent article, its very similar.
The Event also early on got high ratings on the first few episodes and NBC gave it a full season order.
But the ratings plummetted soon after that and NBC then changed their mind.
So that could happen with Revolution as well if the ratings change suddenly in the next few months, they can always cancel their order...
post #550 of 1984 Old 10-03-2012, 02:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Wow a device that gives out wireless power! nice too bad the transmitter and receiver unit should be in synch so the power transfer can happen, my guess is that device is sort of universal, but the scientist lady did power her computer by plugging that device in.. That scene just got me nuts for a while..

In the sniper scenario, so did I miss somthing and that house had a mountain behind it? and why didn't the militia surrounded the place and only came from the front and be easy targets?

RIP Mom, we always love you 8/18/13
post #551 of 1984 Old 10-03-2012, 02:27 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked: 327
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLar View Post

Wow a device that gives out wireless power! nice too bad the transmitter and receiver unit should be in synch so the power transfer can happen, my guess is that device is sort of universal, but the scientist lady did power her computer by plugging that device in.. That scene just got me nuts for a while..
In the sniper scenario, so did I miss somthing and that house had a mountain behind it? and why didn't the militia surrounded the place and only came from the front and be easy targets?
I don't remember the scene exactly, but I thought she just hung it on peg above the desk and the devices started to power up, she may have hit a power switch on the computer?
post #552 of 1984 Old 10-03-2012, 02:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BriscoCountyJr View Post

Quote:

From what I read in a recent article, its very similar.
The Event also early on got high ratings on the first few episodes and NBC gave it a full season order.
But the ratings plummetted soon after that and NBC then changed their mind.
So that could happen with Revolution as well if the ratings change suddenly in the next few months, they can always cancel their order...

This is all true. What *I* think really killed it DEAD though, was the action of the network itself. They put it on hold for a VERY long time--ther was a break from 29 November (Thanksgiving weekend) until 7 March. That effectively killed any momentum the show ever had. A very stupid decision for a freshmen show struggling to gain and hold its audience.

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
post #553 of 1984 Old 10-03-2012, 02:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:
I don't remember the scene exactly, but I thought she just hung it on peg above the desk and the devices started to power up, she may have hit a power switch on the computer?

The shelf above the computer had a whole bunch of lead-acid car batteries hooked together with what looked like jumper cables.. She activated the pendant and then the computer came up, powered by the batteries. Likewise, when the pendant came up in the living room, the CD player turned on with its own batteries, and the Iphone, the same.

I suspect they are trying to suggest that the power is off because of some kind of dampening field, and the pendant cancels out that dampening field.

In the opening, have you noticed that they show only the western hemisphere going dark, never Europe, Asia, Africa or Australia. Did the power go out there or not?

Luke

post #554 of 1984 Old 10-03-2012, 02:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 268
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLar View Post

why didn't the militia surrounded the place and only came from the front and be easy targets?

The writers did it that way to be dramatic. They wanted to show how cold and unfeeling the Monroe Militia is, because Miles taught them to be calculating and cruel. The leader therefore sacrificed his men without remorse to reinforce the later scenes where Miles is saying the Monroe Militia is terrible, because he's the one who trained them.
post #555 of 1984 Old 10-03-2012, 03:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 550
Quote:

In the opening, have you noticed that they show only the western hemisphere going dark, never Europe, Asia, Africa or Australia. Did the power go out there or not?

I'm sure that was just to keep the scene short and powerful. All American audiences would care about is America, of course, but there's no reason to think it wasn't a worldwide event. Otherwise, the country would have emptied out pretty quickly.
post #556 of 1984 Old 10-03-2012, 03:16 PM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:

Yes.

If not, everyone would be speaking Chinese and waiting in line at food distribution centers for their daily rations.
post #557 of 1984 Old 10-03-2012, 04:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPanther95 View Post

Quote:

Yes.

If not, everyone would be speaking Chinese and waiting in line at food distribution centers for their daily rations.

Well, if the Chinese decided to come oveer here, and as soon as they got a few hundred miles of the place, the power went out in whatever transport they were using, I think they would decide to stay clear of the place. There is no reason to assume that we would be taken over by anyone else, since none of their equipment would work here just like ours isn't working.

Luke

post #558 of 1984 Old 10-03-2012, 04:25 PM

Quote:

Well, if the Chinese decided to come oveer here, and as soon as they got a few hundred miles of the place, the power went out in whatever transport they were using, I think they would decide to stay clear of the place. There is no reason to assume that we would be taken over by anyone else, since none of their equipment would work here just like ours isn't working.

Even if they needed sailboats for a couple hundred miles, they'd flood over here and establish supply lines of food, weapons and ammo. They'd control the Western Hemisphere for its resources - even if the power never came back on. If power returns, they'd be the established authority.

That's what I would do.
post #559 of 1984 Old 10-03-2012, 04:42 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

I'm sure that was just to keep the scene short and powerful. All American audiences would care about is America, of course, but there's no reason to think it wasn't a worldwide event. Otherwise, the country would have emptied out pretty quickly.
The producers of the show didn't want to offend any viewers who are members of the Flat Earth Society, they need every eyeball they can get.
post #560 of 1984 Old 10-03-2012, 04:46 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPanther95 View Post

Yes.
It's quite possible that is going to happen anyway, and it won't be because some magical power blackout caused it.wink.gif
post #561 of 1984 Old 10-04-2012, 04:00 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

The shelf above the computer had a whole bunch of lead-acid car batteries hooked together with what looked like jumper cables.. She activated the pendant and then the computer came up, powered by the batteries. Likewise, when the pendant came up in the living room, the CD player turned on with its own batteries, and the Iphone, the same.
I suspect they are trying to suggest that the power is off because of some kind of dampening field, and the pendant cancels out that dampening field.
Except where did the power to keep the batteries charged come from?

While it's possible, if the batteries in the CD player were alkalines, the might have a small amount of juice in them after all these years if not used, it's unlikely someone would have a CD player sitting out somewhere if they weren't making use of it. If they were, where did fresh batteries come from? If they were rechargeable, how were they being charged?

As far as the phone, that battery would be stone dead. If there were car batteries hooked up to the computer (I didn't see them myself - not to mention that would be one strong wall shelf), then how are they being charged to run the computer?
post #562 of 1984 Old 10-04-2012, 05:26 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I was thinking of a dampening field too, but the point about rechargeable batteries is valid. They would be long dead and only an influx of electricity would bring them back to life. Thus, it would seem as though the pendant with the flash drive thingie in it is a kind of power source that charges every battery around it within a certain radius. The charge is temporary and in effect only as long as the pendant is active. The batteries don't get charged and retain their charge for awhile after the pendant goes dormant, which means it's actively providing power but only enough to run electronic devices while it's on.

The fact that there is no known technology like this in the world, and the strange design of the pendant itself, says "extraterrestrial" to me. Or some crazy genius we haven't met yet. One or the other. If it was purely malevolent in design and purpose, then those people would have imposed their will by now.

Based on the flashbacks we saw, neither Monroe nor Miles knows anything about it.
post #563 of 1984 Old 10-04-2012, 05:30 AM

Quote:

"If it was purely malevolent in design and purpose, then those people would have imposed their will by now.

Maybe they already have.

Probably 24 kids around the world playing WoW and Halo with no lag now that the rest of the world is fighting for its survival. smile.gif
post #564 of 1984 Old 10-04-2012, 05:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member

^^^ tongue.gif

Seems like there's two ways this show could go: either reveal what happened this season and then the show becomes about how to reverse it once the cause is known - and guys like Monroe who have become power-mad megalomaniacs would oppose such efforts because they like the "new world order", or the show becomes an endless search for the source of the blackout with tiny clues deposited periodically, season after season. Pick one.
post #565 of 1984 Old 10-04-2012, 06:17 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I was thinking of a dampening field too, but the point about rechargeable batteries is valid. They would be long dead and only an influx of electricity would bring them back to life. Thus, it would seem as though the pendant with the flash drive thingie in it is a kind of power source that charges every battery around it within a certain radius. The charge is temporary and in effect only as long as the pendant is active. The batteries don't get charged and retain their charge for awhile after the pendant goes dormant, which means it's actively providing power but only enough to run electronic devices while it's on.
The problem is, you're expecting a device the size of a stopwatch to provide the amps that even a single car battery would provide (never mind a bank of them). Is this thing nuclear powered?

Near the beginning, they show information being downloaded to some form of SD card. It's then put in one of the devices. I think our best assumption is that it uses that data to decrypt some sort of coverage field that is dampening everything. It's not provding the power, just the means to use whatever power available - likely batteries. Further, maybe the pendant uses some sort of fuel cell tech or other non-battery source that can keep it running all these years with periodic use. I can buy that.

The problem is, they haven't provided any means for the batteries to be charged in any of these situations.

Of course, related to that, one other thing that bothers me is how silly some of the uses of the pendants apparently have been by those who have them, from running a cattle prod to listening to CDs. There has to be some limit to how long these devices can function and they're using it for things that have physical or mechanical alternatives.

It would be like being lost in the woods and using your flashlight to make shadow puppets to entertain yourself.
post #566 of 1984 Old 10-04-2012, 06:26 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

The problem is, you're expecting a device the size of a stopwatch to provide the amps that even a single car battery would provide (never mind a bank of them). Is this thing nuclear powered?

Or something. In fact, it could be a tiny plutonium power source and the people who possess it are slowly being poisoned! Or something. Anyway, it's safe to assume it's non-terrestrial or the product of some crazy genius.
Quote:

Near the beginning, they show information being downloaded to some form of SD card. It's then put in one of the devices. I think our best assumption is that it uses that data to decrypt some sort of coverage field that is dampening everything. It's not provding the power, just the means to use whatever power available - likely batteries. Further, maybe the pendant uses some sort of fuel cell tech or other non-battery source that can keep it running all these years with periodic use. I can buy that.
The problem is, they haven't provided any means for the batteries to be charged in any of these situations.

It still could be an anti-dampening field device I guess. But that still leaves the question of how it's powered, and how the dampening field is powered. That's a bigger question since it's global. Maybe it taps into the earth's magnetic field or something like that since electrical current and magnetism are so closely related.
post #567 of 1984 Old 10-04-2012, 07:08 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Or something. In fact, it could be a tiny plutonium power source and the people who possess it are slowly being poisoned! Or something. Anyway, it's safe to assume it's non-terrestrial or the product of some crazy genius.
It still could be an anti-dampening field device I guess. But that still leaves the question of how it's powered, and how the dampening field is powered. That's a bigger question since it's global. Maybe it taps into the earth's magnetic field or something like that since electrical current and magnetism are so closely related.
Well, they could be using something along these lines:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermoelectric_effect

The question is, could such a technology become self powering by not just providing power to run something, but enough power to run itself.

Here's some other information about atomic batteries. I'm not sure how small or practical they might be to fit into the design we've seen, but the decay persiod (anywhere from 10-20 years) seems right of the current use:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atomic_battery
post #568 of 1984 Old 10-04-2012, 07:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 707
I'm sure it's a combination of chemtrails, HAARP, and Agenda 21 that's to blame. There are subtle clues to this in the pilot episode. If you set your Little Orphan Annie Decoder Ring to 1.21 Jigawatts you should hear the Morse code they run at the intro of the show, it's hidden in the LFE channel. If you then interpolate that correctly decoded message with the most recent Number Station broadcast from 11545 kHz you will get a clear idea of where the series is going. It sure is a lot of work to watch melon farming TV these days.
post #569 of 1984 Old 10-04-2012, 08:04 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 18
I just assume that the whole electricity thing is just a MacGuffin to start the show. The technical 'How' aspect isn't really important to the show going forward. I think if you are assuming it will all make sense, you will just be very disappointed and may as well quit watching now.
post #570 of 1984 Old 10-04-2012, 08:10 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsambuca View Post

I just assume that the whole electricity thing is just a MacGuffin to start the show. The technical 'How' aspect isn't really important to the show going forward. I think if you are assuming it will all make sense, you will just be very disappointed and may as well quit watching now.

Actually, it is important. Finding out what caused the blackout and how to reverse it is the whole reason for the characters' journey and the adventures they encounter along the way. That's the underlying motivation for the show.

Literature has used that device for thousands of years - think Jason, the Argonauts, and the search for the golden fleece. And it doesn't need to make perfect sense, it just needs to have some basis in the physical reality we know and understand. Besides, speculation is fun; it's what we do here. Well, that and complain. tongue.gif
Reply HDTV Programming

Tags
Revolution The Complete First Season Blu Ray Dvd

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page