AVS Forum banner
88K views 2K replies 196 participants last post by  Keenan 
#1 ·
 http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2070791/

A group of people struggle to survive and reunite with loved ones in a world where the all forms of energy have mysteriously disappeared.

#852 ·
I didn't see the Colonel's kid being a member of the rebels. Talk about untrustworthiness.

But once they told us that, I knew that Capain/Major/Probably-about-to-get-promoted-to-Colonel Neville would use that information to his advantage.

Stil wanna know how a sleazeball like Monroe was able to not only promote himself from Sergeant to General, but take command of an entire breakaway nation. And then be so vain as to name it after himself (none of the other territories appear to be named after a person).

#853 ·
Thoughts ....

If the "dead Zone" does not effect above earth in space, then perhaps sattelittes are still working, & this could explain:

A). How that woman & guy engineers could track the pendant & "communicate" by activated computers .. And ..

B) Say, for example, that a sattelite signal "activates" the pendants.. If that sattelite is in a very erratic orbit, it may only be "overhead" in their location a couple of times or so a month, for just a few mins each time ..

Further, If the sattelite must also "happen" to be sending that specific pendant's "ID" exactly when overhead, this could also help explain why the pendant activates very infrequently ...

My only "major" gripe so far is how much too quickly within a few years the USA degenerated into these rogue barbaric "nations" & no man's lands ...

I could see perhaps just a section of the deep south..

The Gvmt & army would have been quickly distributing food & supplies, & would have "quickly" gotten all available Steam Locomotives online to move people and goods, same w/Horses & useable boats,, & by 10 -15 yrs out, there would be steam powered vehicles on the streets & waterways, Some Steets lighted by gaslamps & homes heated by gas, as in the pre electric 17/1800's, & coal/steam/hydro machinery pumping water & generally doing a bunch of the factory & Manufacturing jobs of electric motors ...

It seems that it should be morphing more into the 1890's, rather than planet of the apes ... Perhaps more believable if "MonroeVille" was the carved out exception...

#854 ·
Only 7 pendants could be seen on the map, none of them on Cali, one in Texas though.. and I BET that Nora's dad has it... mark my words...

I also saw the betrayal from Nora's sister a mile away and the "why they just don't swim across came to mind several times, if the river was that dangerous, it would be easier to craft a raft, rather than go 100 miles out of the way to cross it..

#856 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeatChicken  /t/1410472/revolution-on-nbc/840#post_22588401

Thoughts ....

If the "dead Zone" does not effect above earth in space, then perhaps sattelittes are still working, & this could explain:

A). How that woman & guy engineers could track the pendant & "communicate" by activated computers .. And ..

B) Say, for example, that a sattelite signal "activates" the pendants.. If that sattelite is in a very erratic orbit, it may only be "overhead" in their location a couple of times or so a month, for just a few mins each time ..

Further, If the sattelite must also "happen" to be sending that specific pendant's "ID" exactly when overhead, this could also help explain why the pendant activates very infrequently ...

First off, it is "satellites."

Geo satellites are only overhead at the equator. As mentioned in a previous post, after 15 years, geo birds would have outlived their lives. They would all start drifting toward on of the two gravity wells. Plus, geo birds would be able to deal with such a small object, let alone be able to determine its position.

It is possible that the GPS birds could still be functioning, since they are not in geo orbit. But, once the pendant went inside a major structure, it would no longer be able to receive the signals from the GPS birds in order to determine position. Plus, the GPS birds, like the geo birds, would not deal with transferring locating into to a head location.

Because of the unknown structure of the pendants, I believe that they are directly communicating their info. As I doubt that the GPS birds would still be functioning, the pendants have other means to determine their location.
Quote:
My only "major" gripe so far is how much too quickly within a few years the USA degenerated into these rogue barbaric "nations" & no man's lands ...

Because if it was the way you described, there wouldn't be a story to tell. For this particular series, it went down as indicated in the back story for the program.

#857 ·
GPS birds might still be in orbit, but their message would be useless. They require substantial ground support to measure their orbits, and upload the orbital information for the broadcast navigational message, also to maintain their clocks. You have to know EXACTLY where each bird is and determine distance from each by time delay of its message, then from the known distances and bird locations, calculate your own location.

GPS devices only receive the broadcast message and calculate from it, they do not tranmit back to the birds.

We don't know much about the center we saw, but it had plenty of electrical power and computers. It could perhaps serve as a ground station. I'm not sure how many ground stations are needed to measure orbits and maintain the navigational message.

#859 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvideo  /t/1410472/revolution-on-nbc/840#post_22589671

Geo satellites are only overhead at the equator. As mentioned in a previous post, after 15 years, geo birds would have outlived their lives. .

I'm aware of this , however, as in the example mentioned, they would not be stationary geo satts over the equator....

As far as "15 yrs" life span, .. there are plenty of satts still operational well past 15 yrs, even the relatively simplistic, non geo AMRAD-OSCAR 27, launched on 9/26/1993 is still fully operational , so it's not a stretch to imagine some well advanced DARPA type satt with a 20-40 yr lifespan , & to "forgive" them showing the pendant getting a reflected signal indoors..

I agree overall the pendants most likley aren't using space-based transmitters, however,it would not be a total shocker if this is what the writers came up with...

#860 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy  /t/1410472/revolution-on-nbc/840#post_22590387

The indestructibility of the pendants (which Miles commented on after whacking it repeatedly with his rifle butt), coupled with their "alien" markings and design, still say extraterrestrial to me. I'm betting that's the ultimate twist.

At this point I'm hoping that's the case.

#861 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakestir  /t/1410472/revolution-on-nbc/840#post_22591484

At this point I'm hoping that's the case.

Originally Posted by archiguy

The indestructibility of the pendants (which Miles commented on after whacking it repeatedly with his rifle butt), coupled with their "alien" markings and design, still say extraterrestrial to me. I'm betting that's the ultimate twist.

THAT WOULD BE SO COOL!!!

#863 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeatChicken  /t/1410472/revolution-on-nbc/840#post_22591182

As far as "15 yrs" life span, .. there are plenty of satts still operational well past 15 yrs, even the relatively simplistic, non geo AMRAD-OSCAR 27, launched on 9/26/1993 is still fully operational , so it's not a stretch to imagine some well advanced DARPA type satt with a 20-40 yr lifespan

It is the station keeping fuel usage that shortens the life of geo birds. The electronics can go on for a lot longer, which is the case for non geo birds that orbit the earth. No station keeping fuel required

The writers better not use satellites as part of their communication network with the pendants.

#864 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy  /t/1410472/revolution-on-nbc/840#post_22590387

which Miles commented on after whacking it repeatedly with his rifle butt

Rifle butt? What rifle butt?

#866 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy  /t/1410472/revolution-on-nbc/840#post_22592608

Speaking of cool, how about the giant machine there at the end with Grace and the Government guy!

I am so much more intrigued by that subplot than by the endless seach for Danny. I loves me some BigGov conspiracy action.
Honestly, that was my hope for the series. I shouldn't have been surprised when it turned into "The Day After Twilight"...

#873 ·
So the whole running out of air thing really ticked me off. You're really gonna tell me that an entire subway system (sealed off completely or not) doesn't have enough air to support 10 people for an hour or so? 10 people could probably survive in an enclosed elevator for a couple hours...

#875 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sitlet  /t/1410472/revolution-on-nbc/870#post_22607578

So the whole running out of air thing really ticked me off. You're really gonna tell me that an entire subway system (sealed off completely or not) doesn't have enough air to support 10 people for an hour or so? 10 people could probably survive in an enclosed elevator for a couple hours...
+1

#876 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sitlet  /t/1410472/revolution-on-nbc/870#post_22607578

I thought the same thing ..

Here they are in a huge Cavernous maze of tunnels, & it looked like there should have been a couple of weeks worth of air in there...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.