'Revolution' on NBC - Page 40 - AVS Forum
First ... 38  39  40 41  42  ... Last
HDTV Programming > 'Revolution' on NBC
Wytchone's Avatar Wytchone 04:15 PM 04-26-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Argee View Post

Season 2 order confirmed by NBC.
Beat me to it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
VisionOn's Avatar VisionOn 08:48 PM 04-26-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdclark View Post

How does a fat guy get through 15 years of the end of the world without losing any weight?

The Dharma Initiative Ranch Sauce factory has one of the pendants and it's just around the corner.
Vlad Theimpaler's Avatar Vlad Theimpaler 10:11 PM 04-26-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdclark View Post

In the real world, religious fanaticism would be all over everything, and the loss of electrical power would be enough "proof" of God's wrath that religious fundamentalism would drive everything.

I love hyperbole too! tongue.gif
HDMe2's Avatar HDMe2 02:43 PM 04-28-2013
You know... the not-so-subtle way that each episode starts with the "evolution" turning into "Revolution" and blinking... has always led me to believe that whatever was happening was getting out of the control of the people who thought they understood it.

I'm inclined to think that shutting down the tower will not have any effect on the nanites... my gut says they have "evolved" in ways that the scientists who created them did not expect.
tighr's Avatar tighr 01:23 AM 04-30-2013
I don't get how Monroe lives through that stunt. With as many guns trained on him, he should be chopped liver by now, Emma or not.
MRM4's Avatar MRM4 06:41 AM 04-30-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by tighr View Post

I don't get how Monroe lives through that stunt. With as many guns trained on him, he should be chopped liver by now, Emma or not.

Yep, that guys was a bad shot. Miles was picking them off with one shot at a much further distance.
Garrett Adams's Avatar Garrett Adams 04:00 PM 04-30-2013

Monroe's escape came about from reading Joe Carroll's book.


rdclark's Avatar rdclark 09:48 PM 05-02-2013
So let me get this straight. The nanites changed people into other people who look completely different, but not to each other. Then they stop aging.

Miles and Monroe were different people when they were 18. But today they look exactly the same as the day the power went out. Haven't aged a day. Has to be the nanites, right?
WilliamR's Avatar WilliamR 05:28 AM 05-03-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdclark View Post

So let me get this straight. The nanites changed people into other people who look completely different, but not to each other. Then they stop aging.

Miles and Monroe were different people when they were 18. But today they look exactly the same as the day the power went out. Haven't aged a day. Has to be the nanites, right?

Wow.
rdclark's Avatar rdclark 08:00 AM 05-03-2013
I guess I forgot to set the /sarcasm flag on my last post. wink.gif
NetworkTV's Avatar NetworkTV 08:30 AM 05-03-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdclark View Post

I guess I forgot to set the /sarcasm flag on my last post. wink.gif
It probably would have been a good idea.

There really are people on the 'net stupid enough to post (and actually believe) stuff like that, so you'll have to excuse the rest of the class for thinking the worst of you.

It's bad enough just about anyone can get a license to drive a car with their knees while shaving, texting and slurping down a 42oz drink before they hit Manhattan....with the internet, there isn't even a test.
rdclark's Avatar rdclark 10:14 AM 05-03-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkTV View Post


It's bad enough just about anyone can get a license to drive a car with their knees while shaving, texting and slurping down a 42oz drink before they hit Manhattan

Or have kids, or get elected to Congress.

But back on topic, this is an interesting dilemma for TV producers. You want to tell a story about your characters as older teenagers. You can't just put makeup on your fotryish actors and have them pretend to be 18. Maybe you could do something with CGI, but that's fraught with its own perils (Sigourney Weaver in "Political Animals" -- nice try, but still a failure). So you just get some reasonably credible young actors, and trust the audience to make the leap with you.

I don't have a problem with that. My problem comes with doing it in the context of a show where flashbacks to ten or fifteen years in the past are part of the fabric of the storytelling, but absolutely no effort is made to change the actors' appearance to reflect the passage of so much time.

So all these people looked exactly the same 15 years ago, and completely different 25 years ago. That's a new-Klingon/old-Klingon-grade discontinuity, and I guess we just don't discuss it.

Or blame it on the nanites.biggrin.gif
DrLar's Avatar DrLar 10:19 AM 05-03-2013
Well at least young Charlie actress did look like current Charlie.. (maybe she's her real sister or something)
tighr's Avatar tighr 10:36 AM 05-03-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdclark View Post

So all these people looked exactly the same 15 years ago, and completely different 25 years ago. That's a new-Klingon/old-Klingon-grade discontinuity, and I guess we just don't discuss it.
I would appreciate some sort of titlecard indicating what year the flashback is. We can assume the pre-blackout stuff is 2012, but when they show us something from 2002, I'd like to know that.

It's not like LOST, where they were actively trying to confuse us as part of the storytelling narrative.
bobby94928's Avatar bobby94928 11:32 AM 05-03-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLar View Post

Well at least young Charlie actress did look like current Charlie.. (maybe she's her real sister or something)



Tracy Spiridakos and Morgan Hinkleman are not related....
NetworkTV's Avatar NetworkTV 01:37 PM 05-03-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLar View Post

Well at least young Charlie actress did look like current Charlie.. (maybe she's her real sister or something)
No relation.

However, another great example is on "Once Upon A Time" with young and old Snow White.
HDMe2's Avatar HDMe2 04:43 PM 05-03-2013
Sometimes it helps if I sing "nanites" to the tune of the 1960s Batman TV show smile.gif

Besides, everybody knows... In order to show a flashback OR future preview, a mustached person simply has to shave... and a clean-shaven person simply has to grow a mustache wink.gif Women just have to change their hairstyle.

Everybody always looks otherwise the same from 21-50 ! smile.gif
replayrob's Avatar replayrob 05:22 PM 05-03-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMe2 View Post

Sometimes it helps if I sing "nanites" to the tune of the 1960s Batman TV show smile.gif
Use 'nanites' as a replacement for the word 'fish heads' in the fishheads song...


nanites, nanites,
Rolly-polly nanites,
nanites, nanites,
Eat them up, yum!

nanites, nanites,
Rolly-polly nanites,
nanites, nanites,
Eat them up, yum!

In the morning,
Laughing happy nanites,
In the evening,
Floating in the soup!

nanites, nanites,
Rolly-polly nanites,
nanites, nanites,
Eat them up, yum!

Ask a nanite
Anything you want to,
They won't answer,
They can't talk!
joblo's Avatar joblo 07:23 PM 05-03-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdclark View Post

My problem comes with doing it in the context of a show where flashbacks to ten or fifteen years in the past are part of the fabric of the storytelling, but absolutely no effort is made to change the actors' appearance to reflect the passage of so much time.

Given all the other silliness in this show, I can’t really get worked up about this. The actors don’t want to wear prosthetics; the producers don’t want to spend the time and money on makeup, end of story.

I mean, once you’ve hired a “chubby” actor to play a tech genius as some sort of idiot savant who cannot seem to translate his engineering skills into any sort of useful contribution to a non-electric world… and you’ve given this character self-esteem issues that have him on the verge of suicide about every other week… and yet there he stands every week, both in the present and in flashbacks, with his five-big-mac-a day physique perfectly intact…. in a world where supposedly 90% of the population has starved over the past decade and a half…

Please… with the absurdity that is Aaron confronting me every week, I should be bothered that none of the adult characters seem to have aged in 15 years?!?

Quote:
So all these people looked exactly the same 15 years ago, and completely different 25 years ago. That's a new-Klingon/old-Klingon-grade discontinuity, and I guess we just don't discuss it.

Or blame it on the nanites.biggrin.gif

Well, you laugh, but frankly, why not?

Just two weeks ago, we learned that the nanites have been eating away a woman’s stage 4 tumors for 15 years… they haven’t eliminated the tumors, mind you… in fact, they haven’t even reduced them to the point that maybe some more conventional technology might now be effective…

Nope, the nanites have just kept this woman right on the edge of end stage cancer for all these years. Sure, she “looks wonderful”, but as soon as the nanites are destroyed, she’s toast. Not as fast as the deep-fried bozos in the woods, but still, definitely toast.

Now if that strikes you as credible science fiction – as opposed to a ridiculous plot contrivance necessary to put a crazy genius lady in the woods, knowing how to turn the power back on, but declining to do so while 90% of the population starves (see again absurdity of Aaron, above) – then why object to nanites keeping people from aging?

Who’s to say the nanites don’t spend their “down time” rebuilding people’s telomeres?

I mean, when there are no tumors to eat or electricity or absorb, maybe they get bored.

Maybe keeping people young gives them a sense of purpose, so they don’t get all suicidal, like Aaron. rolleyes.gif


Quote:
Originally Posted by tighr View Post

It's not like LOST

Right. The first season of Lost was grounded in reality. Revolution has given us magic nanites in season 1; no telling how silly it could get by season 6. I rather doubt we’ll ever find out, but the possibilities are mind-boggling.
Aleron Ives's Avatar Aleron Ives 11:11 PM 05-03-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by joblo View Post

Revolution has given us magic nanites in season 1; no telling how silly it could get by season 6. I rather doubt we’ll ever find out, but the possibilities are mind-boggling.

You underestimate how desperate NBC is to find a show with more than two viewers. Compared to the ratings of the rest of its lineup, Revolution has numbers that may lock it in for the next ten seasons. rolleyes.gif
WilliamR's Avatar WilliamR 05:34 PM 05-04-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkTV View Post

It probably would have been a good idea.

There really are people on the 'net stupid enough to post (and actually believe) stuff like that, so you'll have to excuse the rest of the class for thinking the worst of you.

It's bad enough just about anyone can get a license to drive a car with their knees while shaving, texting and slurping down a 42oz drink before they hit Manhattan....with the internet, there isn't even a test.

You just tried to call me stupid. Thanks, I'll take the high road and not post my continual thoughts about you though..
NetworkTV's Avatar NetworkTV 07:40 PM 05-04-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post

You just tried to call me stupid. Thanks, I'll take the high road and not post my continual thoughts about you though..
No, I said that without putting the sarcasm tag on, some people might think you are one of those folks who is stupid enough to make that kind of comment.

In other words, I said you gave the appearance - not that you were.
biggiE48's Avatar biggiE48 10:12 PM 05-04-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett Adams View Post

Monroe's escape came about from reading Joe Carroll's book.
OMG Joe does has more life's than a freaking cat. He and Monroe are in that class of comic book villains that never really die.
WilliamR's Avatar WilliamR 11:36 AM 05-05-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkTV View Post

No, I said that without putting the sarcasm tag on, some people might think you are one of those folks who is stupid enough to make that kind of comment.

In other words, I said you gave the appearance - not that you were.

Roger that. biggrin.gif
fhall1's Avatar fhall1 10:15 AM 05-06-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMe2 View Post

Not sure what was "funny" about that.

In daylight, they can see... so they don't need torches. They use the flashlight to determine if they are near a pendant, not to see.

At night, they can't see... so they DO need torches... otherwise they will be walking around in the dark until they find the nuke w/ pendant and their flashlight starts working.

If I have to explain it......

Yes they need torches to see at night....but they could have also used their flashlights to know when they were near the nuke instead of just wandering aimlessly hoping to stumble onto it. And if Charlie was more like Daryl (Walking Dead) with a crossbow it would have been an automatic head shot, not a shoulder hit....then the nuke carrier would have been dead and they would have had the nuke then and there....and not have to go searching for it later because the guy carrying it ran off with an arrow in his shoulder.
fhall1's Avatar fhall1 10:20 AM 05-06-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdclark View Post

Or have kids, or get elected to Congress.

You can't just put makeup on your fotryish actors and have them pretend to be 18.

Unless you're shooting Glee smile.gif
NetworkTV's Avatar NetworkTV 01:16 PM 05-06-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by fhall1 View Post

Unless you're shooting Glee smile.gif
Or Beverly Hills 90210 (the original series).
mgkdragn's Avatar mgkdragn 03:55 PM 05-06-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post

You underestimate how desperate NBC is to find a show with more than two viewers. Compared to the ratings of the rest of its lineup, Revolution has numbers that may lock it in for the next ten seasons. rolleyes.gif

From the network that brought us The A Team, Columbo, Dragnet, ER, Hill Street Blues, Star Trek, etc over the years, I'd hate to think they have permanently passed an expiration date ..

I give kudos to NBC for still throwing the darts at shows like The Event, Heroes, Kings, V, and yes .. Revolution .. and I say this because it does seem they are at least still trying .. smile.gif
archiguy's Avatar archiguy 04:17 PM 05-06-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post

From the network that brought us The A Team, Columbo, Dragnet, ER, Hill Street Blues, Star Trek, etc over the years, I'd hate to think they have permanently passed an expiration date ..

I give kudos to NBC for still throwing the darts at shows like The Event, Heroes, Kings, V, and yes .. Revolution .. and I say this because it does seem they are at least still trying .. smile.gif

Yeah, I agree. At least they haven't thrown in the towel like procedural-happy CBS, whose last big swing for the fences was 6 years ago with 'Jericho' (man, I still miss that show).
mgkdragn's Avatar mgkdragn 04:26 PM 05-06-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

Yeah, I agree. At least they haven't thrown in the towel like procedural-happy CBS, whose last big swing for the fences was 6 years ago with 'Jericho' (man, I still miss that show).


Tags: Revolution The Complete First Season Blu Ray Dvd
First ... 38  39  40 41  42  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop