post #1352 of 1982 Old 05-30-2013, 09:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by replayrob View Post

So do others... who can actually act- not just gape with an open mouth and blank stare....

There are some who find that attractive in a woman......

Seriously though, I get the point about Mitchell. Although I did not mind it in LOST & had no issue with the Juliet character or EM's work on that show, I can see why playing a character with the same temperament in another show would be annoying to some. But then again, regardless of how good he may be on Person of Interest, Michael Emerson is still Ben Linus to me no matter what the role is.

But in the end, I think Revolution's problems neither begin nor end with the casting of Elizabeth Mitchell. She merely is doing what is asked of her on the show. Take up your complaints w/ the show runners.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLar 
She acts like 1000% better than Tracy IMO
True dat!

Money does not buy happiness. It can, however, buy you a giant boat that you can pull up alongside happiness. - David Lee Roth

post #1353 of 1982 Old 05-30-2013, 10:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLar View Post

She acts like 1000% better than Tracy IMO
... and that's a compliment? biggrin.gif

Actually, since the break- Tracy has gotten much less air-time and much less dialogue- guess that's why find her less annoying nowadays.

"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure...."

post #1354 of 1982 Old 05-30-2013, 10:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 34
Quote:

... and that's a compliment? biggrin.gif

Actually, since the break- Tracy has gotten much less air-time and much less dialogue- guess that's why find her less annoying nowadays.

With the death of her brother, her importance has certainly lessened. I say make Charlie this season's most high profile character death.

Money does not buy happiness. It can, however, buy you a giant boat that you can pull up alongside happiness. - David Lee Roth

post #1355 of 1982 Old 05-30-2013, 10:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Yeah Charlie has very little dialog now... they say Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
two major characters will die this Monday, I will be not surprised if they killed Charlie, she's useless now, the other one I think it's Nora, so that's 2 (4) less reasons to watch the show

RIP Mom, we always love you 8/18/13
post #1356 of 1982 Old 05-30-2013, 10:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwebb1970 View Post

With the death of her brother, her importance has certainly lessened. I say make Charlie this season's most high profile character death.
That wouldn't bother me in the least, and they can get rid of Aaron (Chubby!) too.
He's another one that's very one dimensional in his acting- he just opens his eyes as wide as he can... and stares- mouth open and motionless.

"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure...."

post #1357 of 1982 Old 05-30-2013, 01:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post

No, they said that was 1 in a million chance. There are probably hundreds of things that COULD happen but they discounted them.

Elizabeth Mitchell's character said it was a 1 in a million chance... Grace seemed to think it was more likely. So I wonder why the person who wrote "the bible" on the Tower wouldn't have included that little tidbit in the writings. I mean, it included an override code to get in... seems like it would cover even those 1 in a million situations.

The point was, a few weeks ago turning on the power was a great thing... then it became a great thing with the caveat of killing people who were dependent on the medical cures... and now it has a chance of blowing up the planet. Seems like each week they think of something new... it plays out like this is being made up as they go along rather than being a well-thought-out plot in advance.

Yeah baby!  It's Halloween!
post #1358 of 1982 Old 05-30-2013, 01:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 293
If both Charlie and Aaron die on Monday, my hopes for season 2 will improve. Killing Nora would be a mistake, IMO.
post #1359 of 1982 Old 05-30-2013, 02:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMe2 View Post

The point was, a few weeks ago turning on the power was a great thing... then it became a great thing with the caveat of killing people who were dependent on the medical cures... and now it has a chance of blowing up the planet. Seems like each week they think of something new... it plays out like this is being made up as they go along rather than being a well-thought-out plot in advance.

Next week turning the power on will turn the universe into a giant black hole.

In space, no one can hear you scream . . .
post #1360 of 1982 Old 05-30-2013, 04:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 76

All this hate for the girl with the Shih Tzu forehead.

post #1361 of 1982 Old 05-30-2013, 08:11 PM

Liked: 10
I thought the point of using Facebook to sign into another site was to not have to have yet another account and password to record? AVS had me create a new ID to add to the hundreds already tracked...

Anyway, so

I stopped watching this at episode 3, Charlie's character was unlikable, they killed off Tim Guinee of 'Strange World' in the opener, Espisito was great and here I was rooting for him to defeat Charlie and that didn't feel right, they all seemed to never get dirty, and when thinking about explanations I even dismissed nanites because they wouldn't have dealt with the nuclear plant problem effectively. Oh and I hate Mitchell.

So as the show had gone would anyone recommend me returning and giving it a marathon viewing?
I'm starved for scifi. The pickings are slim. It's mostly fantasy being called syfy.
post #1362 of 1982 Old 05-30-2013, 08:53 PM
AVS Special Member

If you're looking for science fiction, try something like Orphan Black (or if you're really desperate, Defiance, I suppose). Revolution is an action/adventure show with science fantasy elements thrown in to explain the ridiculousness.
post #1363 of 1982 Old 05-30-2013, 09:44 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked: 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post

If you're looking for science fiction, try something like Orphan Black (or if you're really desperate, Defiance, I suppose). Revolution is an action/adventure show with science fantasy elements thrown in to explain the ridiculousness.
Continuum is not bad either as far as sci-fi goes, not nearly as good as Orphan Black though. It's definitely better than Defiance which I would rate a distant third amongst the 3 shows. The performance of Tatiana Maslany alone puts OB at the top of the list.
post #1364 of 1982 Old 05-31-2013, 05:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkTV View Post

Dr. Egon Spengler: There's something very important I forgot to tell you.

Dr. Peter Venkman: What?

Dr. Egon Spengler: Don't cross the streams.

Dr. Peter Venkman: Why?

Dr. Egon Spengler: It would be bad.

Dr. Peter Venkman: I'm fuzzy on the whole good/bad thing. What do you mean, "bad"?

Dr. Egon Spengler: Try to imagine all life as you know it stopping instantaneously and every molecule in your body exploding at the speed of light.

Dr Ray Stantz: Total protonic reversal.

Dr. Peter Venkman: Right. That's bad. Okay. All right. Important safety tip. Thanks, Egon.

Love that movie,just purchased it on blu-ray.

post #1365 of 1982 Old 05-31-2013, 06:24 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked: 601
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan View Post

Continuum is not bad either as far as sci-fi goes, not nearly as good as Orphan Black though. It's definitely better than Defiance which I would rate a distant third amongst the 3 shows. The performance of Tatiana Maslany alone puts OB at the top of the list.

Don't get me wrong, I love 'Orphan Black', and Tatiana's virtuoso performance ought to win her an Emmy if there's any justice in the world, but I don't know that I'd call it science fiction. Yes, there are clones (with no even pseudo-scientific explanation so far), but at it's heart it's basically a serialized action/thriller with virtually no sci-fi elements. 'Continuum' is largely the same, but wears it's sci-fi colors a bit more loudly (disclaimer: haven't seen any of the second season yet).

And yes, 'Defiance' has been disappointing; prossibly because of the retraints and restrictions imposed by the video-game tie-in. Or possibly because, like 'Revolution', they have lousy writers. But I'm trying to be charitable here.
post #1366 of 1982 Old 05-31-2013, 08:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny Smith View Post

Espisito was great and here I was rooting for him to defeat Charlie and that didn't feel right.
For the record, I hate the Neville character, especially in the first ten episodes, as he makes some questionably immoral decisions and doesn't seem to feel remorse for the things that he does, as well as seem to think that things aren't "even" until he gets the last laugh. I.e., he kills Ben, Mile's brother. So Miles gets revenge on Neville. Neville takes offense to this, and now wants to take it out on Miles and Charlie. Last I checked, that doesn't make him even, it makes him one-up. He's been better lately, particularly because he is fighting against Monroe (who's another dumb character), but I have sneaking suspicion he's in a power grab and will try to take over the Monroe Republic.

But that being said, Giancarlo Esposito is the best actor on the show, and it doesn't matter that his character sucks because he's acting the hell out of it.

~Tighr: Not helping the situation since 1983

post #1367 of 1982 Old 05-31-2013, 08:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked: 364
It was great to see Aaron Pierce still holding down the fort.

Growing Older But Not Up
post #1368 of 1982 Old 05-31-2013, 08:38 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tighr View Post

For the record, I hate the Neville character, especially in the first ten episodes, as he makes some questionably immoral decisions and doesn't seem to feel remorse for the things that he does, as well as seem to think that things aren't "even" until he gets the last laugh. I.e., he kills Ben, Mile's brother. So Miles gets revenge on Neville. Neville takes offense to this, and now wants to take it out on Miles and Charlie. Last I checked, that doesn't make him even, it makes him one-up. He's been better lately, particularly because he is fighting against Monroe (who's another dumb character), but I have sneaking suspicion he's in a power grab and will try to take over the Monroe Republic.

But that being said, Giancarlo Esposito is the best actor on the show, and it doesn't matter that his character sucks because he's acting the hell out of it.

A big time agree on that ..

And what's this Orphan Black folks mentioned .. ??

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #1369 of 1982 Old 05-31-2013, 09:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 87
One of the NBC's preview pictures shows someone gravely injured, I think they already gave away one of the two..

RIP Mom, we always love you 8/18/13
post #1370 of 1982 Old 05-31-2013, 09:03 AM

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:

Spengler and Dr. Peter Venkman are genius's compared to the people on this show!

Rachel has to be one of- if not the biggest- tool in TV history.

She's so annoying, if she were on The Walking Dead, I would have been rooting for Lori to kill her.
post #1371 of 1982 Old 05-31-2013, 10:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post

Find out yourself. BBC America is running a marathon tomorrow (Saturday) before the season finale. Otherwise it's pay only on iTunes and Amazon.
post #1372 of 1982 Old 05-31-2013, 10:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viventis View Post

Find out yourself. BBC America is running a marathon tomorrow (Saturday) before the season finale. Otherwise it's pay only on iTunes and Amazon.

Great show! Highly recommended.
post #1373 of 1982 Old 05-31-2013, 10:08 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viventis View Post

I'd love to, however, apparently my CATV provider does not offer BBC America ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #1374 of 1982 Old 05-31-2013, 10:11 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:

I'm watching Continuum and just finished Charlie Jade, which was lower budget but I enjoyed it. I'll check out Orphan Black and Defiance and stay away from Revolution.
post #1375 of 1982 Old 05-31-2013, 10:15 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny Smith View Post

I'm watching Continuum and just finished Charlie Jade, which was lower budget but I enjoyed it. I'll check out Orphan Black and Defiance and stay away from Revolution.

I doubt 'Charlie Jade" was lower budget than 'Continuum'. Didn't look like it to me, and they filmed CJ on location in Capetown, South Africa. The special effects were first-rate, great cast, high production values and a more compelling and interesting storyline IMO. CJ was the superior show, based on what I've seen so far. And light years ahead of 'Revolution', unfortunately.

In any event, welcome to the worlds of 'Charlie Jade'. Always nice to meet new residents of the multiverse. smile.gif
post #1376 of 1982 Old 05-31-2013, 01:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I completely forgot about Continuum, since it's just a crime drama with tech (at least in the first season). The writing is surely better than what Defiance has to offer, though, and the second season may be improving on things.
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

Don't get me wrong, I love 'Orphan Black', and Tatiana's virtuoso performance ought to win her an Emmy if there's any justice in the world, but I don't know that I'd call it science fiction. Yes, there are clones (with no even pseudo-scientific explanation so far), but at it's heart it's basically a serialized action/thriller with virtually no sci-fi elements.

I'm pretty sure we've been here before. wink.gif A show doesn't need people in rubber alien suits to be science fiction, and some of the best science fiction doesn't require fancy CGI spaceships at all.
post #1377 of 1982 Old 05-31-2013, 02:48 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 411
Quote:

I completely forgot about Continuum, since it's just a crime drama with tech (at least in the first season). The writing is surely better than what Defiance has to offer, though, and the second season may be improving on things.
I'm pretty sure we've been here before. wink.gif A show doesn't need people in rubber alien suits to be science fiction, and some of the best science fiction doesn't require fancy CGI spaceships at all.
Science has nothing to do with space ships unless that is the particular focus. SciFi doesn't need spaceships or aliens, but there has to be a regular undercurrent of the science part to earn the "sci" part of the category. The second season of "American Horror Story" had alien involvement, but that certainly doesn't make it SciFi. Why? It wasn't the focus of the premise. All the other looney stuff was.

The thing is, the science isn't the focus of Orphan Black. It's not even really used except as the initial setup to establish why there are so many lookalikes. They could have been twins, but they chose clones. After that, the show becomes about identity and big brother, not being a clone.

It would be like Star Trek establishing we have space flight, but Kirk and Spok head off to vegas in a Ford Country Squire with Scotty back in the fold out jump seat. When there's no undercurrent of the "science" part of the "fiction", it becomes just fiction.

Orphan black would fall more under a Mystery/Suspense category than SciFi.
post #1378 of 1982 Old 05-31-2013, 03:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Your analogy is flawed, as Orphan Black revolves around the implications of human cloning and how the subjects of such an experiment would be impacted by it, which is wholly based in science fiction.

In order to fit your Star Trek analogy, Orphan Black would have had to
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
establish the presence of clones and then have "Beth" and Art just go around solving crimes each week unrelated to the main story, while Sarah received only tidbits of information about the cloning conspiracy at the end of each episode. Instead, the entire drive of the story hinges on the cloning aspect, which makes it fully valid science fiction.

Science wasn't the focus of Star Trek, either. The space travel and alien races were used as a means to explore moral and ethical dilemmas in a setting removed from the present, so as to make them less potentially offensive. By your logic, a classic science fiction story like Flowers for Algernon isn't science fiction either, because it revolves around how an experiment to artificially increase human intelligence impacts the life of the subject and how he relates to the people around him, rather than exploring the "science" behind how one might theoretically perform the experiment for real.

This topic exemplifies why science fiction has died as a genre: people's expectations of what "good" science fiction is have changed. Good science fiction doesn't need to beat viewers over the head with constant technobabble and crazy devices: the best science fiction uses futuristic technology to initialise stories that put their characters in positions that would otherwise never happen. The focus of science fiction doesn't need to be on the science; series that focus on the implications of the science are equally valid additions to the genre.

We do complain that Revolution is bad science fiction, but it isn't just the science part that's poorly executed. The characters, the dialogue, the plots, and everything else are substandard, too. If the rest of the show improved, we would probably be more forgiving of the magical nanites and other silliness.
Keenan likes this.
post #1379 of 1982 Old 05-31-2013, 05:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 188
Well put, Aleron.

It seems that many people feel that science fiction must be "technology fiction" to be satisfying. This is why many lifelong fans of the genre, paricularly in its written form, prefer the term "speculative fiction."

Physics is not the only science. SF can just as validly -- and often much more interestingly -- speculate about implications of psychology, biology, paleontology, sociology... you name it. Star Trek was often at its best when dealing with "soft" science.

I would argue that Revolution is only nominally SF because it deliberately chooses NOT to speculate about the implications of its original premise, which was essentially sociological. Perhaps now this will change with the exposition of a new, biotech-based premise, but somehow I doubt it.

Wide Awake

on the Edge

of the World

post #1380 of 1982 Old 05-31-2013, 06:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 411
Personally, I see the opposite - too often, we call something SciFi for even the slightest ties to the genre.

That's what's wrong with SciFi: there really isn't much of any anymore. Instead, we get this mushy ether between psuedo-science concepts and characters have angst over something. That's how we got to crap like "Twilight" that insults anyone who has ever liked the vampire genre.

Revolution insults anyone who likes speculative fiction.
Reply HDTV Programming

Tags
Revolution The Complete First Season Blu Ray Dvd

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page