post #1441 of 1984 Old 06-05-2013, 08:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 548
Quote:
Originally Posted by replayrob View Post

Even more mind boggling- the nukes fired perfectly- going years without maintenance/upkeep...

And they were able to be quickly and easily re-targeted and launched at domestic U.S. cities by one guy. tongue.gif Um, sure.
mgkdragn likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1442 of 1984 Old 06-05-2013, 09:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I guess George Dubya's key card still gave him access to all the nuke codes.
post #1443 of 1984 Old 06-05-2013, 10:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post

The militia have to be the worst shots in tv history.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Church AV Guy View Post

Oh come on now! That ridiculous eek.gif. The imperial storm troopers in Star Wars were much worse shots than the militia.
I guess neither of you have seen The A Team eek.gif

Be seeing you!
post #1444 of 1984 Old 06-05-2013, 10:29 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 578
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

And they were able to be quickly and easily re-targeted and launched at domestic U.S. cities by one guy. tongue.gif Um, sure.

I'll have to admit, even my suspension of disbelief tolerance was stretched to breaking on that ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #1445 of 1984 Old 06-05-2013, 10:30 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 392
Quote:
Originally Posted by cctvtech View Post

I guess neither of you have seen The A Team eek.gif
I'll forgive the A-Team since it was a family action show where few people actually got shot or killed - on either side. It happened now and then, but not often.

It was written to be fun.

This show is written to be serious, only it comes off as silly. Part of the issue is how one sided it is. The "good guys" can pick off the enemy like shooting cans off a fence, but the seldom get hit themselves - and when they do, it's just a quick field dressing and their back to the fight.

Intent plays a big part in whether silly is fun or eye rolling.
post #1446 of 1984 Old 06-05-2013, 02:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 111
I for one have lost patience. Yet another chance (actually, two) to blow Monroe away, and both times it was decided to just let him go. No matter how many more will die at his hands.
And why does anyone listen to the girl? She's what? 18? Really, we have to stay here and hold whats her faces hand rather than get the power on? Because we'll have so many more chances.

I can't care about characters when they consistently prove themselves to be idiots. Over and over and over.

Sent from my Nexus 7
Manny Smith likes this.
post #1447 of 1984 Old 06-05-2013, 03:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 268
The worst part is that I have a sinking feeling with Neville now leading Monroe's forces, Monroe is going to reconcile with Miles and become one of the good guys in season 2, now that Nora is gone.
post #1448 of 1984 Old 06-05-2013, 06:12 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post

The worst part is that I have a sinking feeling with Neville now leading Monroe's forces, Monroe is going to reconcile with Miles and become one of the good guys in season 2, now that Nora is gone.

I think you're right. Monroe will be a good guy, he and Miles will fight the new secret President and his forces......until the series gets cancelled next season. But, I'll still be watching, for some reason I can't stop!
post #1449 of 1984 Old 06-05-2013, 10:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Enjoy it for what it is - "High Camp."

"Without music, life would be a mistake." - Friedrich Nietzsche
post #1450 of 1984 Old 06-06-2013, 01:46 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Distorted View Post

Enjoy it for what it is - "High Camp."
I'm pretty sure I ought to pitch my tent somewhere else.

I really doubt I need to return when the show does. I learned what I wanted to know when the show began. It can only get worse from here.
Manny Smith likes this.
post #1451 of 1984 Old 06-06-2013, 06:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post

I'll have to admit, even my suspension of disbelief tolerance was stretched to breaking on that ..
My tolerance is much higher. The guy was the top DOD person who knew the system better than anyone else. They could have written in a half hour wait to reprogram, since nobody was about to get into that room, but that would have just slowed down the action.

The interesting reveal in the finale is that someone used the software back door to deliberately cause the world wide blackout. One might assume that it was the DOD guy who killed himself, but I'm betting on Grace being the hacker.
post #1452 of 1984 Old 06-06-2013, 09:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMe2 View Post

Elizabeth Mitchell's character said it was a 1 in a million chance... Grace seemed to think it was more likely. So I wonder why the person who wrote "the bible" on the Tower wouldn't have included that little tidbit in the writings. I mean, it included an override code to get in... seems like it would cover even those 1 in a million situations.

The point was, a few weeks ago turning on the power was a great thing... then it became a great thing with the caveat of killing people who were dependent on the medical cures... and now it has a chance of blowing up the planet. Seems like each week they think of something new... it plays out like this is being made up as they go along rather than being a well-thought-out plot in advance.

Not that it really matters any more, but I just watched the finale last night.....Rachel said the chances were "one in a billion"
post #1453 of 1984 Old 06-06-2013, 09:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhall1 View Post

Not that it really matters any more, but I just watched the finale last night.....Rachel said the chances were "one in a billion"

I thought she was referring to the writing improving next season. tongue.gif
Sent from my Nexus 7
post #1454 of 1984 Old 06-06-2013, 05:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebo View Post

Quote:

I thought she was referring to the writing improving next season. tongue.gif
Sent from my Nexus 7

Then she was being generous.

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
post #1455 of 1984 Old 06-06-2013, 05:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
i'd rather watch " the last resort" than this sad excuse for a show.
post #1456 of 1984 Old 06-06-2013, 07:15 PM

Liked: 13
They will turn the power off again causing the missiles to fall to earth causing no damage.
post #1457 of 1984 Old 06-06-2013, 09:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:

I caught that too... and I really wish I could go back to the previous episode and see if I remembered "million" wrong or if the show forgot! Then again, I'm starting to join the crowd of wishing I hadn't watched it once... much less twice.... and I actually liked this show when it first started.

Yeah baby!  It's Halloween!
post #1458 of 1984 Old 06-06-2013, 09:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMe2 View Post

Quote:

I caught that too... and I really wish I could go back to the previous episode and see if I remembered "million" wrong or if the show forgot! Then again, I'm starting to join the crowd of wishing I hadn't watched it once... much less twice.... and I actually liked this show when it first started.

She said Billion, with a B both times. The captioning also said Billion both times.

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
post #1459 of 1984 Old 06-07-2013, 01:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by Church AV Guy View Post

She said Billion, with a B both times. The captioning also said Billion both times.
Manny Smith likes this.

Growing Older But Not Up
post #1460 of 1984 Old 06-07-2013, 07:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by DvdJags View Post

They will turn the power off again causing the missiles to fall to earth causing no damage.
It would be braver of them to allow the cities to be destroyed.

A better plot turn would be the struggle to turn the power off before the missiles hit, only to be too late. So now the city is gone AND power is gone.

~Tighr: Not helping the situation since 1983

post #1461 of 1984 Old 06-07-2013, 07:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 100
Quote:

Yup, my wife said the same thing!
Oh.. and she was pissed they killed Nora too....

"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure...."

post #1462 of 1984 Old 06-07-2013, 10:49 AM
AVS Special Member

I'm no rocket scientist, but I think once you ignite those engines, they do not require any electrical anything t keep burning. Turning off the power would not shut down the engines. It wouldn't even disable the guidance systems until the last minute, since these birds are flying so high they are practically in space (the nano thingys float around in Earths atmosphere).

So they could shut down the power again (injuring or killing who knows how many as it's likely some people have started testing various machinery - remember, in this show, 15 year old electronics and machinery work fine with no matinence), or, they could blow the fail safe charges in the missiles so they harm no one. They were able t figure out how to turn the power back on, I think they could pull this off. Then again, we're talking about THIS SHOW.

It's a pity no missiles are aimed at either: The main characters, this shows writers, or at least, the writers of Fox's, The Following!

Sent from my Nexus 7
Manny Smith likes this.
post #1463 of 1984 Old 06-07-2013, 12:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 184
I'm sure that in the world of this show, re-activating the nanites at the last second would result in the failure of the missiles' guidance systems, causing them to overshoot their targets and plunge harmlessly into the Atlantic Ocean.

Because, you know, cliche.

But it's just as likely that Philadelphia will be destroyed, removing most of that pesky backstory for Monroe and freeing him up to join the good guys with Neville as his nemesis, while Atlanta is saved to become the center of the new US for the returning President.

Because, like all crap storytelling, the writing works backwards from the desired outcome, so nothing happens organically, and the characters seem like puppets because that's what they are.
Manny Smith likes this.

Wide Awake

on the Edge

of the World

post #1464 of 1984 Old 06-07-2013, 12:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by tighr View Post

Still haven't watched this week's episode, but reactions here and elsewhere are telling me I'm probably ok if I skip it.

No, definitely don’t skip it. You really have to see it to disbelieve it. wink.gifrolleyes.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by tighr View Post

Quote:

It would be braver of them to allow the cities to be destroyed.

A better plot turn would be the struggle to turn the power off before the missiles hit, only to be too late. So now the city is gone AND power is gone.

Either way, turning the lights off again might be a pretty good idea...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post

He is the fictional president who was in office when the blackout happened 15 years ago. He's been hiding ever since, waiting for his minions to restore the power, apparently.

Except that unless they retcon the April 1 episode into an April Fools hoax, they don’t have a fictional president pre-blackout. In the scene one year before the blackout where DOD man Flynn and his wife learn that their son was killed in action in Afghanistan, a news report is clearly heard in the background referring to “President Obama”. With Obama pledging to end the Afghan war in 2014, that puts the blackout pretty squarely on his watch. And last week, Obama’s picture was clearly shown in the bunker alongside Bush, Reagan, and Clinton.

Still, while signs of intelligent life in the executive suites of NBC are definitely difficult to discern at times, I don’t think NBC would air a program that portrays an actual sitting president hiding out at Gitmo for 15 years. So I don’t think they will be using the actor who played the devil in “The Bible”. More likely, the guy at Gitmo is some cabinet secretary far down the list of succession – thus arguably not culpable in the blackout – or perhaps just another military strongman.

Thing is, if they leave the lights on, they have to deal with post-blackout geopolitics. If foreign agents sabotaged the weapon, as Aaron’s discoveries in the finale would suggest, that means that people outside the U.S. know that American military nanites were responsible for an apocalypse one thousand times the magnitude of the Nazi Holocaust. In such a scenario, the idea that the United States would be allowed to reconstitute itself in its pre-blackout form after the lights are back on is even more preposterous than all the ridiculous “science” the show peddles. In the world of “Revolution”, the only place the Stars and Stripes belong is in history books alongside the swastika, hammer and sickle, and Stars and Bars.

I suppose the destruction of Atlanta and Philly could be portrayed as some sort of atonement, a la “Fail Safe”, but it would actually be a pretty meager atonement.

It might be better to go back to silly science and sword fights.
post #1465 of 1984 Old 06-07-2013, 12:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
If a prior episode becomes "inconvenient" it becomes unhistory. If they can go from muskets and lead balls to plentiful modern ammo in full auto weapons, they can change the President. No problem. The only bible is there is no bible.

They have to boggle our minds every week.
post #1466 of 1984 Old 06-07-2013, 01:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by joblo View Post

More likely, the guy at Gitmo is some cabinet secretary far down the list of succession – thus arguably not culpable in the blackout – or perhaps just another military strongman.

That's what I'm thinking. A NuBSG scenario, where the only surviving people fall 23rd on the list of succession, who have no practical political experience. Even possible they still had elections, out of a small group of "Americans".

~Tighr: Not helping the situation since 1983

post #1467 of 1984 Old 06-07-2013, 04:36 PM

Liked: 10
Someone already made this point.

How do I delete this message?
post #1468 of 1984 Old 06-07-2013, 04:49 PM

Liked: 10
Hulu has the whole run of Charlie Jade up now. I just checked to make sure it's still there and it's on the free run. No need to have Hulu Plus BUT you have to sign in because it's considered adult material.

There is violence and one character is a total slut and psychopath.
post #1469 of 1984 Old 06-07-2013, 04:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 548
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny Smith View Post

Hulu has the whole run of Charlie Jade up now. I just checked to make sure it's still there and it's on the free run. No need to have Hulu Plus BUT you have to sign in because it's considered adult material.

There is violence and one character is a total slut and psychopath.

That would be the great "01 Boxer", played by Michael Filipowich. He was awesome. smile.gif
post #1470 of 1984 Old 06-07-2013, 04:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by replayrob View Post

Yup, my wife said the same thing!
Oh.. and she was pissed they killed Nora too....
What pissed me off wasn't killing Nora - it was Charlie blaming her Mom when she died so quickly, she wouldn't have survived the trip back to the infirmary - and then, even if she did, what would they do? Give her an aspirin? It was physical trauma, not food poisoning.

Then again, all she needed was some anti-bacterial medicine the last timeshe had a gaping wound...
Reply HDTV Programming

Tags
Revolution The Complete First Season Blu Ray Dvd

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page