AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post

not one goo gun came out of the tower

No, no, they can't start the season with goo guns. They have to start off with swords and crossbows to keep enough money in the special effects budget for goo guns at the end of the season. rolleyes.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

this one isn't nearly as bad as 'Under the Dome'

I disagree, at least as far as the science is concerned. The dome is clearly alien technology, so Clarke’s Third Law that any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic applies.

The nanites, otoh, are supposedly present-day technology developed by the U.S. government. Yet compared to the nanites, the dome is just a clown pulling coins from children’s ears at birthday parties.

Quote:
So, I can buy the "nannites replicating uncontrollably" premise. I can certainly buy the break-down of civilization and the rise of homicidal law-of-the-jungle militias; boy-oh-boy would that happen, and quickly. I can even buy the sudsy soap-opera side plots - they're fine. This is a broadcast TV show that needs to appeal to a wide demographic including the fairer sex. The thing I have to suppress is the fact that under no circumstances is the "power coming back on" even without the nannite interference, not even for 4 minutes.

So you’re ok with nanites manufacturing themselves apparently out of thin air and propagating around the world at near light speed – about a hundred times faster than the dome could envelop Chester’s Mill – and being reprogrammable in mere minutes to regenerate bone, muscle, and skin in mere seconds – but you draw the line at magic power grids?

You’re absolutely right, of course, that if the show were realistic, the restoration of electron flow after 15 years would go mostly unnoticed. But that would be boring television. So instead we’re going to get lots of where-were-you-when-the-lights-came-on-for-four-minutes conversations and flashbacks this year, as opposed to last year’s where-were-you-when-the-lights-went-out conversations and flashbacks. Because, as I said before, this season will be completely different.

The saving grace of “Revolution” is that unlike “Dome”, it doesn’t seem to take itself too seriously. With “Dome”, you get “You’re a politician”, but with “Revolution” you get a David Schwimmer joke. So even though the science – when there is any – is utterly preposterous, “Revolution” is a lot less tedious, and therefore a lot more fun to hate on, than “Dome”. wink.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-28-2013, 07:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by joblo View Post

No, no, they can't start the season with goo guns. They have to start off with swords and crossbows to keep enough money in the special effects budget for goo guns at the end of the season. rolleyes.gif

I want people splattering on my TV now! You can't introduce goo guns and have them for three episodes then take them away. It's mean! biggrin.gif

Old 09-29-2013, 09:14 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked: 732
Quote:
Originally Posted by joblo View Post

So you’re ok with nanites manufacturing themselves apparently out of thin air and propagating around the world at near light speed – about a hundred times faster than the dome could envelop Chester’s Mill – and being reprogrammable in mere minutes to regenerate bone, muscle, and skin in mere seconds – but you draw the line at magic power grids?

Um, yeah...? I'm so ashamed. redface.gif
Old 09-29-2013, 12:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Distorted View Post

Without the National Enquirer we may never have known what a scumbag John Edwards is.

Without the National Enquirer, we would also never have known about the following gems:
Demi Moore Had Lesbian Relationship With Real Housewives of Beverly Hills Brandi Glanville
Bigfoot Kept Lumberjack as Love Slave
Father Goes for Kidney Treatment - Leaves Hospital As a Woman
Hillary Clinton Adopts Alien Baby (with story about an alien surviving a UFO crash in Arkansas)
Japanese Spacecraft Attacks Hawaii With Earthquake Weapon
Woman Builds Bionic Breast From Ordinary Household Items
Macedonia Manufactures Metallic War Spiders
(and many more great stories) eek.gif

Be seeing you!
Old 09-30-2013, 03:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by cctvtech View Post

Without the National Enquirer, we would also never have known about the following gems:
Demi Moore Had Lesbian Relationship With Real Housewives of Beverly Hills Brandi Glanville
Bigfoot Kept Lumberjack as Love Slave
Father Goes for Kidney Treatment - Leaves Hospital As a Woman
Hillary Clinton Adopts Alien Baby (with story about an alien surviving a UFO crash in Arkansas)
Japanese Spacecraft Attacks Hawaii With Earthquake Weapon
Woman Builds Bionic Breast From Ordinary Household Items
Macedonia Manufactures Metallic War Spiders
(and many more great stories) eek.gif

It's good to know that someone is keeping up.wink.gif

"Without music, life would be a mistake." - Friedrich Nietzsche
Old 09-30-2013, 04:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Distorted View Post

It's good to know that someone is keeping up.wink.gif
If it's good enough for MIB....

Be seeing you!
Old 10-03-2013, 12:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 156
Just want to make sure I'm understanding. So these two bounty hunters track Monroe "for months", catch him, but don't keep an eye on him while transporting him? And they're still within walking distance of their camp when he escapes? So it took him what, 3 to 5 minutes to untie his hands and break out of the cage?

Anyway... It looks like Erin didn't turn the power back off after all. The computer froze, then the power went out.

I'm guessing Erin's vision was due to what's his name probably had nanites in his system before he died, and now some of his memories are Erin's memories? Or something like that?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4
Old 10-03-2013, 09:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebo View Post

Just want to make sure I'm understanding...

I'm guessing Erin's vision was due to what's his name probably had nanites in his system before he died, and now some of his memories are Erin's memories? Or something like that?

That would be "Aaron" having a vision about the death of Rachel's husband, Charlie's father and Mile's brother, Ben Matheson.

9/21 ratings results-
8 p.m.
CBS: Survivor: Blood vs. Water 9.4 million viewers (2.3 demo rating)
ABC: The Middle 8.8 million (2.4); Back in the Game 7.9 million (2.2)
NBC: Revolution 6.8 million (1.8)
Fox: The X Factor 7.6 million (2.5) [8-10 p.m.]

Better take this one in while it lasts.
The world needs a blackout when Survivor, much less, The X Factor, still survive.

"Without music, life would be a mistake." - Friedrich Nietzsche
Old 10-03-2013, 10:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 31
1.5 rating this week.

YOU ARE READING AVS FORUM

Old 10-03-2013, 10:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 260
Quote:

Just want to make sure I'm understanding. So these two bounty hunters track Monroe "for months", catch him, but don't keep an eye on him while transporting him? And they're still within walking distance of their camp when he escapes? So it took him what, 3 to 5 minutes to untie his hands and break out of the cage?

Anyway... It looks like Erin didn't turn the power back off after all. The computer froze, then the power went out.

Correct. How is that hard to understand? It was just ropes, doesn't take long to cut them and open the door, you think it would take an hour?

Old 10-03-2013, 10:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Whose big idea was to place it on Wednesdays at 8? bad decision IMO

So they are giving us little pieces of flashbacks after the tower events, too little IMO, so the camera that monitored Atlanta and Philly only views one blast out of 4 on each city? mmmm

The rat carpet, I mean, could they have drained their blood and that's was being transfused back at the evil guy camp? eww?

RIP Mom, we always love you 8/18/13
Old 10-03-2013, 12:09 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLar View Post

Whose big idea was to place it on Wednesdays at 8? bad decision IMO

Same people who moved scifi best shows to bad slots?
ltownsend likes this.
Old 10-03-2013, 10:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 492 Post(s)
Liked: 440
I want to know why the Nukecams still work when the rest of the system is hosed.
Old 10-03-2013, 11:00 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked: 457
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post

I want to know why the Nukecams still work when the rest of the system is hosed.
I was wondering the same thing myself. There's so many holes in every part of this show but as it's not going to make it to a third season anyway might as well watch the rest of what's left.
Old 10-04-2013, 12:01 AM
AVS Special Member

I don't know. Most of NBC's shows perform so badly that NBC might be desperate enough to keep this show around in a different slot, since it performed well at a less competitive time. Maybe it will move to Fridays, or something. It's not like they have anything better to put in its place, although that's never stopped them from axing shows in the past.
Old 10-04-2013, 12:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post

Correct. How is that hard to understand? It was just ropes, doesn't take long to cut them and open the door, you think it would take an hour?

My point was, what was the point? Or how about knocking him out before transporting him? If they were that incompetent, they may have just said screw it, and fired up a doobie. At least Charlie's new boyfriend's dad would still be alive.

Old 10-04-2013, 02:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan View Post

Quote:

I was wondering the same thing myself. There's so many holes in every part of this show but as it's not going to make it to a third season anyway might as well watch the rest of what's left.

I thought the same thing, then I was hoping that someone would say that they were satellite images, but nope, just more plot holes.

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
Old 10-04-2013, 05:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

All the power came back on, globally, that is why the cameras/satellites were working. When things shut down again, they shut down too.

Old 10-04-2013, 07:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Yeah I wonder if the nanites made it up all the way to Earth's orbit and knocked the satellites also, but ever since the tower was introduced they were monitoring the pendants with satellites and some other cities..

Old 10-04-2013, 09:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked: 190
Why is everyone trying to make sense of things? ..... it's Revolution for goodness sake!
It doesn't make sense!

Here's how you watch Revolution... turn on TV- disengage brain- enjoy!
73shark likes this.

"If we ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space."
Old 10-04-2013, 09:51 AM
AVS Special Member

LOL I know, and I blame the nanites for the perfect white teeth on most of the characters also..

Old 10-04-2013, 03:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

All the power came back on, globally, that is why the cameras/satellites were working. When things shut down again, they shut down too.

The Tower already had power, and that doesn't explain why every other monitor in the room was on the fritz while the Nukecams still functioned perfectly.
Quote:

At least Charlie's new boyfriend's dad would still be alive.

The old guy had to die so Charlie could pair up with the young and attractive one. Of those two guys, which was the most likely to get a recurring role? wink.gif
Old 10-04-2013, 04:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The Tower already had power, and that doesn't explain why every other monitor in the room was on the fritz while the Nukecams still functioned perfectly.
The old guy had to die so Charlie could pair up with the young and attractive one. Of those two guys, which was the most likely to get a recurring role? wink.gif

The tower had power, but not outside the tower. If the monitors were on the fritz (I can't recall what they showed), was it just because that camera was down?

Old 10-04-2013, 05:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked: 732
Okay, now for something positive. Sorry to break up the hatefest. Heaven knows, I likes me a good lynching, but this show really isn't that bad. Didn't any of you watch 'The Following'? tongue.gif

And it's not nice to speak ill of the soon-to-be-dead (if the ratings trend continues). It looks as though they're moving a bit more in the sci-fi direction. There's more to these nanites than we've been led to believe. That's enough for me, for now.

Viva la Revolucion!
Old 10-04-2013, 06:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The tower had power, but not outside the tower. If the monitors were on the fritz (I can't recall what they showed), was it just because that camera was down?

The entire Tower computer system crashed as Aaron was trying to redirect/deactivate the missles, yet the monitors displaying the explosions were the only ones functioning normally. The "computer crash" images displayed on the other monitors were pretty random, too, but I suppose they thought it was more visually interesting than showing a BSOD on each of them. biggrin.gif
Old 10-06-2013, 02:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The entire Tower computer system crashed as Aaron was trying to redirect/deactivate the missles, yet the monitors displaying the explosions were the only ones functioning normally. The "computer crash" images displayed on the other monitors were pretty random, too, but I suppose they thought it was more visually interesting than showing a BSOD on each of them. biggrin.gif

I think it was suppose to happen that way to show that the nanites or whatever didn't want them to stop the nukes, but allowed them to see it.
Aleron Ives likes this.

Old 10-06-2013, 04:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Now that's an interesting bit of speculation. We were never given any indication that the nanites were sentient in the first season, but going that direction would explain why Aaron got zombified when nobody else did.
Old 10-07-2013, 10:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Now that's an interesting bit of speculation. We were never given any indication that the nanites were sentient in the first season, but going that direction would explain why Aaron got zombified when nobody else did.

I'm thinking they are now sentient, thus Aaron, the computers, and all the talk of the weird things to of happened to them since the nukes (yet to be revealed) plus the fireflies, etc.

Old 10-07-2013, 01:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 204
I'm enjoying several aspects of the new season. The plotting is much denser -- there's an awful lot going on, which makes it a bit easier to take when something stupid happens in one thread.

I like the mystery of the nanites, which I assumed were controlling the fireflies as soon as they appeared, and the possibility of their having achieved some sort of collective consciousness. Sure, it's already been done in Start Trek TNG, but whatever.

I like that they've started injecting a little humor.

I like that they're showing more of a fragmented, devolving post-apocalyptic culture.

I like that Charlie is at least marginally less stupid, and that she really did pull the trigger.

I like the addition of Jake Cutter... er, Stephen Collins.

Sure, there's plenty of nits to pick, but it seems to me they set out to have a little more fun with their premise this season, and that often translates into more fun for the audience, too.

Wide Awake

on the Edge

of the World

Old 10-07-2013, 06:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
During the opening credits it has always played odd to me that 'EVOLUTION' displays first then they add the 'R', maybe there are bigger visions in mind than the aftermath of the loss of electricity.

Tags
Revolution The Complete First Season Blu Ray Dvd