post #1891 of 1982 Old 05-09-2014, 07:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post

Canceled, huh? I guess I could see it coming. Hope they give it a proper ending.

I believe the remaining episodes have been in the can for some time now, so all we can hope for was that they knew they were on the bubble and chose to craft an ending that would stand as a series finale in the event that it turned out to be one.

(ETA: I see that filming wrapped only about a month ago, so it's remotely possible they're still editing the finale and may have shot some extra footage so that a series-ender could be crafted if that was their fate. We'll see.)

Wide Awake

on the Edge

of the World

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1892 of 1982 Old 05-10-2014, 03:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked: 331
here's another new show that could be interesting - The Last Ship

http://www.tntdrama.com/series/the-last-ship/?SR=The_Last_Ship_com
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2402207/

Steve
post #1893 of 1982 Old 05-11-2014, 03:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post

Canceled, huh? I guess I could see it coming. Hope they give it a proper ending.

How could they, the episode was filmed a long time ago. We don't get a bonus episode to wrap things up.

post #1894 of 1982 Old 05-11-2014, 08:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 29
They may have filmed two endings, depending on if the show was renewed or cancelled
post #1895 of 1982 Old 05-11-2014, 11:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Lucca View Post

They may have filmed two endings, depending on if the show was renewed or cancelled

Yes, because the writers are THAT good.

Sent from my generic not my computer device.
Keenan likes this.
post #1896 of 1982 Old 05-11-2014, 11:46 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked: 429
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebo View Post

Yes, because the writers are THAT good.

Sent from my generic not my computer device.
Haha! tongue.gifbiggrin.gif
post #1897 of 1982 Old 05-11-2014, 11:53 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post

How could they, the episode was filmed a long time ago. We don't get a bonus episode to wrap things up.
I believe they were filming as late as early April but I don't see how they could possibly come up with a final/final episode having just had the cancellation announcement a day ago.
post #1898 of 1982 Old 05-11-2014, 12:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan View Post

I believe they were filming as late as early April but I don't see how they could possibly come up with a final/final episode having just had the cancellation announcement a day ago.

It should be possible, if you think you may be cancelled and you're planning your last few episodes, to write two endings (for example, the nano gets angry, vows destruction of humanity: cliffhanger; or, the nano sees the light, vows to partner with humanity towards a glorious cooperative future: series ends).

You can do this while leaving most of the last few episodes intact, just by writing and shooting a handful of alternate scenes for the last episode. It may not be great, but at least it's not The Terminator Chrinicles.

Did the Revolution showrunners actually do this? If they did we'll probably hear about it in the next couple of days.

Wide Awake

on the Edge

of the World

post #1899 of 1982 Old 05-11-2014, 01:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Liked: 655
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdclark View Post

It should be possible, if you think you may be cancelled and you're planning your last few episodes, to write two endings (for example, the nano gets angry, vows destruction of humanity: cliffhanger; or, the nano sees the light, vows to partner with humanity towards a glorious cooperative future: series ends).

You can do this while leaving most of the last few episodes intact, just by writing and shooting a handful of alternate scenes for the last episode. It may not be great, but at least it's not The Terminator Chrinicles.

Did the Revolution showrunners actually do this? If they did we'll probably hear about it in the next couple of days.

RD, you really should consider becoming a showrunner ... and I mean that seriously ... smile.gif

Myself, I doubt if the producers had enough foresight to plan and can a coherent ending .. I mean, look at the show as it is now .. eek.gif

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #1900 of 1982 Old 05-11-2014, 01:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked: 54

So let me get this straight. Some of you are arguing that the writers should write extra scripts for no extra compensation?

Extra scripts just so that fans of a show that might not be popular enough to win renewal can have the remaining plot lines neatly wrapped up in the event of a cancellation?

Why not just have the writers wear signs on their backs saying, "I'm a chump. Management, please kick me."?

post #1901 of 1982 Old 05-11-2014, 01:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by veedon View Post

So let me get this straight. Some of you are arguing that the writers should write extra scripts for no extra compensation?
Extra scripts just so that fans of a show that might not be popular enough to win renewal can have the remaining plot lines neatly wrapped up in the event of a cancellation?

Why not just have the writers wear signs on their backs saying, "I'm a chump. Management, please kick me."?

Of course not .. the few viewers that are left don't deserve any sort of closure .. eek.gif

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #1902 of 1982 Old 05-11-2014, 01:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Nobody said anything about "no extra compensation," which wouldn't happen because of Writers' Guild rules. Not to mention the rest of the crew that would be shooting the alternate scenes. But budgets can be massaged, and occasionally you get producers who think that not angering fans who might be an important source of support for their next project is worth a few bucks.

Wide Awake

on the Edge

of the World

post #1903 of 1982 Old 05-11-2014, 01:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 40
I don't recall anyone saying that the writers should write "extra scripts" and do it without pay. It seems most are conjecturing whether the showrunners and network had enough foresight to develop and film an alternate ending that offers some form of closure (everyone involved--cast and crew--would of course be compensated for their time). I remember the short-lived CBS sci-fi show "Threshold" did something like that. The final episode never aired (it's on the DVD), but they did throw in a quicky scene at the very end in which the main character is given some kind of vision that shows how things will turn out. Of course, it's likely that scene was created after they knew the show was going to be cancelled.

EDIT: ninja'd by rdclark
post #1904 of 1982 Old 05-11-2014, 02:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I saw the first episode and it was eh....glad that nbc canceled it.
post #1905 of 1982 Old 05-11-2014, 02:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdclark View Post

Quote:

Nobody said anything about "no extra compensation," which wouldn't happen because of Writers' Guild rules. Not to mention the rest of the crew that would be shooting the alternate scenes. But budgets can be massaged, and occasionally you get producers who think that not angering fans who might be an important source of support for their next project is worth a few bucks.

What next project? Most viewers have no idea who the producers are or what other projects they might have in the works for the future.

What would the business rationale be for spending the money to wrap things up neatly?

From the ratings, it looks as though "Revolution" just barely came in in second place in its time slot when it was up against "Castle" and "Hawaii Five-O" but did not fare well at all when it moved to Wednesdays.

post #1906 of 1982 Old 05-11-2014, 03:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

What next project? Most viewers have no idea who the producers are or what other projects they might have in the works for the future.

What would the business rationale be for spending the money to wrap things up neatly?
From the ratings, it looks as though "Revolution" just barely came in in second place in its time slot when it was up against "Castle" and "Hawaii Five-O" but did not fare well at all when it moved to Wednesdays.

But they probably know the network .. and you'd think the execs would not want a network to become known as the "unfinished" place to watch .. that could have an effect with viewers in the future ..

Yes. Revolution went from a great concept to a POS .. they should have hired Joss Whedon to write a couple episodes .. sorry, wishful thinking ..

Uncle Willie

post #1907 of 1982 Old 05-11-2014, 04:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked: 447
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post

.. they should have hired Joss Whedon to write a couple episodes .. sorry, wishful thinking ..

Then it likely would have been cancelled earlier.

As much as I like Joss's writing and his originality, he's TV poison. He hasn't had a truly successful show since Angel and Buffy. If it weren't for Disney's desire to tie in the series with the movies and maintain that exposure, Agents of SHIELD would likely have already been cancelled.

Nathan Fillion, who had previously worked with Joss, was headed down the same path before Castle came along.

Joss seems to fair better on the big screen, which is where he should concentrate his career.
post #1908 of 1982 Old 05-11-2014, 05:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Just because it was announced a few days ago doesn't mean it wasn't known months ago... and "known" or at least suspected long before that.

The business reason for completing a story instead of leaving viewers hang is simple... if you don't finish the story, then the fans you did get are disappointed... and next year you want them to try your new shows on the network... but if they feel like they might invest in a show only to have it end and leave them hanging... eventually you have fans that just stop tuning in until they see if they show gets a renewal. Enough people do this, and all your shows ratings tank except the big shows. Then what do you do?

Smarter to give advanced warning to the producers, let them craft an ending to the series, and at least fans will be disappointed with closure.

Yeah baby!  It's Halloween!
post #1909 of 1982 Old 05-11-2014, 06:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Jericho had a quickie story wrap-up in the season 2 finale when they knew it was going to be cancelled so it's not impossible. but would NBC spend the money to do it? that's the question.

my guess is no. ABC let V end up in the air with all but a handful of the whole world Blissed, The End. Same as The Event, new planet teleported to earth's orbit, The End. same as Caprica, cylons shoot up stadium, The End.

whoever was the showrunner for Jericho was able to get the money to shoot the alternate ending, but in the history of show cancellations, that's not the norm.

obviously, it would be very nice if NBC did a wrap-up ending, but I wouldn't hold my breath wink.gif

Steve
post #1910 of 1982 Old 05-11-2014, 07:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMe2 View Post

Just because it was announced a few days ago doesn't mean it wasn't known months ago... and "known" or at least suspected long before that.

The business reason for completing a story instead of leaving viewers hang is simple... if you don't finish the story, then the fans you did get are disappointed... and next year you want them to try your new shows on the network...
Smarter to give advanced warning to the producers, let them craft an ending to the series, and at least fans will be disappointed with closure.

Does that typically happen? I would think it would be considered bad form to give the producers a "heads up" while keeping the cast and crew in the dark (or on pins and needles) for a long time. Wouldn't that also perhaps encourage the producers to spend the remainder of the show's run doing negotiations with other networks rather than doing whatever it is that producers are supposed to be doing to make the show successful on its current network?

post #1911 of 1982 Old 05-11-2014, 08:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:

Does that typically happen? I would think it would be considered bad form to give the producers a "heads up" while keeping the cast and crew in the dark (or on pins and needles) for a long time. Wouldn't that also perhaps encourage the producers to spend the remainder of the show's run doing negotiations with other networks rather than doing whatever it is that producers are supposed to be doing to make the show successful on its current network?

What do you mean? If you mean my suggestion that other people know before the official announcement... well, that happens all the time. How long? Who knows... but NBC didn't make this decision yesterday... this was a decision they had to have been mulling for a while and probably decided months ago, which would explain perhaps the long hiatus the show had even when other programs had come back from winter break. The cast and crew may or may not have been kept in the dark. They could have known but were asked to stay silent until the official announcement.

I not sure about your second question. IF you pitch a show to a network and they buy it... then you are making that show for the network. They pay you, you make episodes. If the network cancels you, then you probably should be looking for your next show and possibly on another network. As long as you provide the shows the network paid you for, that's your obligation.

The way I see it... producers sell the show idea to the network... the network sells the show to sponsors and tries to convince viewers to watch. A good producer probably will promote his show because he likes it... but it's the network that really needs to promote a show and make it successful. How many shows have we seen actors and producers going all over the place trying to drum up viewers while the network keeps hiding it on the schedule?

To me the way things could work best for all involved.

I pitch a show, a network orders 13 episodes. I make sure we produce a 13 episode series of the highest quality we can with two goals in mind for the end of the season: 1. craft a story that resolves itself satisfyingly by season's end. 2. lay the groundwork and leave the door open for another season IF the network wants one.

If I do that... then I probably help get myself that second season anyway... BUT if I don't, then at least the fans I do get will remember me more fondly and know that my next show will similarly not leave them hanging IF it gets canceled too.

Yeah baby!  It's Halloween!
post #1912 of 1982 Old 05-12-2014, 05:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 35
I think in Jericho's case CBS only brought it back for that aborted 2nd season with the premise that they might renew it if those 7 or 8 episodes went well but the writers I think went into knowing that was not going to happen. So they wrote a 7 or 8 episode arc that tied it up in the end.

I seriously doubt that a month or 2 ago that they wrote an alternate ending and filmed it. My best guess would be we get a V or the event like cliffhanger. And honestly I don't care either way. Just going to fly through the last 2 and be done with it.
post #1913 of 1982 Old 05-12-2014, 05:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamieva View Post

honestly I don't care either way. Just going to fly through the last 2 and be done with it.

kind of my sentiments. I debated watching the last episodes but watched this week's and decided to do the rest because of my time invested. might as well see the end.

Steve
post #1914 of 1982 Old 05-12-2014, 07:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked: 178
Quote:

Does that typically happen? I would think it would be considered bad form to give the producers a "heads up" while keeping the cast and crew in the dark (or on pins and needles) for a long time.
I can think of two recent series "Flash Forward" and "The Last Resort" that were given enough advanced notice of non-renewals in time to craft a finale' episode.

"If we ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space."
post #1915 of 1982 Old 05-12-2014, 08:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Yeah, considering the Nano's judgement of the human race, they could choose to either make everybody dull or just burn the whole Earth, so those "lobotomized" guys could be it.

Too bad we'll miss Giancarlo for sure, I hope he gets a new gig..

RIP Mom, we always love you 8/18/13
post #1916 of 1982 Old 05-12-2014, 10:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMe2 View Post

The business reason for completing a story instead of leaving viewers hang is simple... if you don't finish the story, then the fans you did get are disappointed... and next year you want them to try your new shows on the network... but if they feel like they might invest in a show only to have it end and leave them hanging... eventually you have fans that just stop tuning in until they see if they show gets a renewal. Enough people do this, and all your shows ratings tank except the big shows. Then what do you do?

It would also be good to wrap up the story in some way for the sake of DVD/VoD sales. How many of you ever bought a complete series of a serialized TV show that you knew wouldn't offer any closure regarding the main story arcs?
post #1917 of 1982 Old 05-12-2014, 01:01 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I thought the second season started out promising, but was soon reduced to the "rescue of the week against insurmountable odds". I can think of a host of other ways they could have taken the show that would've been more interesting that what we were left with. It's almost like they were deliberately scaling back the most most compelling elements in favor of gunfights with unlimited ammo. The most satisfying S2 moment for me was watching Charlie take a bullet in Aaron's fantasy flashback.

post #1918 of 1982 Old 05-12-2014, 03:32 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveMN View Post

I thought the second season started out promising, but was soon reduced to the "rescue of the week against insurmountable odds". I can think of a host of other ways they could have taken the show that would've been more interesting that what we were left with. It's almost like they were deliberately scaling back the most most compelling elements in favor of gunfights with unlimited ammo. The most satisfying S2 moment for me was watching Charlie take a bullet in Aaron's fantasy flashback.

Yes it was! biggrin.gif

post #1919 of 1982 Old 05-12-2014, 03:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

They should have kept Dr Horn (Željko Ivanek) around .. tongue.gif

jamieva likes this.

Uncle Willie

post #1920 of 1982 Old 05-12-2014, 04:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked: 676
^^^ The hardest workin' man in show business! He's everywhere you look. First came to my attention in 'Damages'. He's certainly gotten around since then.
Reply HDTV Programming

Tags
Revolution The Complete First Season Blu Ray Dvd

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page