AVS Forum banner
88K views 2K replies 196 participants last post by  Keenan 
#1 ·
 http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2070791/

A group of people struggle to survive and reunite with loved ones in a world where the all forms of energy have mysteriously disappeared.

#1,652 ·
Last season, I was very much looking forward to the debut of Revolution because I am a fan of Kripke's Supernatural and of JJ Abrams in general.

The pilot (for me) was a big let down, however, given the promise of a cool Kripke/Abrams collaboration. I stopped watching after that, but have been recording since the beginning... just in case it got better.

I kinda use the AVS HDTV Programming subforum as a "quality" barometer for the shows I'm interested in (but don't watch with any regularity). And as I read this thread throughout Revolution's first season, it seems that the show had become the epitome of "hate-watching."

But now -- from what I am reading in this thread as of late -- it seems like the creative team behind Revolution have finally righted the ship.

Is it okay to jump from the pilot right into Season 2? Or is there a good Season 1 recap posted online somewhere? Or can y'all suggest which Season 1 eps. would cover the most ground with respect to the overall plot fundamentals? TIA.

#1,656 ·
Little Breaking Bad reunion there, Gus and Ted in the same train married to the same woman..

I wonder why she doesn't want him to kill the President, maybe she wants to be the one running the Office or maybe get Neville to the high seat.

Aaron even managed to annoy the nanites I guess they have "left him" alone for a while and mo more superpowers

#1,657 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLar  /t/1410472/revolution-on-nbc/1650#post_23979266

Little Breaking Bad reunion there, Gus and Ted in the same train married to the same woman..

I wonder why she doesn't want him to kill the President, maybe she wants to be the one running the Office or maybe get Neville to the high seat.

Aaron even managed to annoy the nanites I guess they have "left him" alone for a while and mo more superpowers

Lol. I was thinking the same thing. They can't go too far. They need to heal Myles.

#1,658 ·
Yeah, I don't know, maybe they'll have to chop off his arm to save him, when the nanites return later they could regenerate it..

#1,660 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives  /t/1410472/revolution-on-nbc/1650#post_23980943

I was a bit disappointed with this one, especially since the writers (apparently) took the women in refrigeraters route with Cynthia. I guess we now have to wait until an unspecified date to find out if they really did. I agree that the nanites have to heal Miles, so they can't be far away.

They're never far away. They're everywhere, including in your brain, reading your thinks. That was actually kind of spooky.

#1,661 ·
Why would your first reaction be to tell them to go away? You could simply tell them to not kill and only knock out or whatever. You have a HUGE power advatnage by having them on your side, healing, healing friends, etc. but no you tell them to go away. That was dumb.

If they take this ability away and have them actually leave Aaron alone now, I will be dissapointed but I can see where they were going, he would have to much power and no one would die anymore, no worries on anything. I think the writers were looking for a quick way to take this huge advantage away.

#1,662 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR  /t/1410472/revolution-on-nbc/1650#post_23981466

Why would your first reaction be to tell them to go away? You could simply tell them to not kill and only knock out or whatever. You have a HUGE power advatnage by having them on your side, healing, healing friends, etc. but no you tell them to go away. That was dumb.

Yeah, that's been a quibble of mine with this storyline. Aaron is supposed to be a tech whiz entreprenuer in his previous life. You'd think he'd naturally be curious about this phenomena, and would want to learn all about it he could. If he could learn to control them, he could literally re-engineer the world, make it better than it was before. The writers could always shape the storyline to keep him guessing about the direction the nanites emerging sentience would take them, always surprising him, as they did there at the end by refusing to heal his girlfriend. Almost like a petulant child...?

But telling them to "go away and leave him alone"? Who would do that?

#1,663 ·
Aaron has become the equivalent in Revolution to Hugo in Lost as the portal to the "magic" element. Sadly, such a key to the series thus is centered on its most off-putting character in the show like it was in that previous show by the producers, at least for me. His whiny, poorly motivated slob of a character is a giant pain in the ass and makes me grab for the remote every time he comes on screen. He needs to be killed off and the magic nanites need to move on to another host. Now, if Monroe or Neville had the magic...

#1,664 ·

The nanite plot so far has been drawn along the lines of Aladin with infinite wishes.  So far Aaron comes up with  "incinerate my enemies, repair my friends - please".   We leave for the holiday break with all the teams lined up.  Miles/Monroe (and protege) have roamed the countryside finding each other over and over, slitting throats during Family Hour to suppress or defend freedom, take your pick.  The 'game of thrones' team of Neville and wife (and son) have reunited, gleefully plotting their next move.  Scientists and Healers, it's the evil variety already turned to war vs. Aaron/Rachel (and father) struggling for the balance between healing and survival, with the 'naive' Nanites, now evolved into a god-like life form, capable of delivering both.  They heal, raise the dead, stun or incinerate the enemy, and now teleport people (or necessities) --  itself a game-changing power for war or survival. More importantly, they do this on command, but also act on their own.  If you don't want to control or spread enlightenment to the Nanites, you at least don't want them to fall into the hands of your enemy.  Maybe we're supposed to see Aaron's "go away" reaction as recoiling from the horror that he chose killing over disabling, and over healing.

#1,665 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by TalkingRat  /t/1410472/revolution-on-nbc/1650#post_23982084

The nanite plot so far has been drawn along the lines of Aladin with infinite wishes.  So far Aaron comes up with  "incinerate my enemies, repair my friends - please".   We leave for the holiday break with all the teams lined up.  Miles/Monroe (and protege) have roamed the countryside finding each other over and over, slitting throats during Family Hour to suppress or defend freedom, take your pick.  The 'game of thrones' team of Neville and wife (and son) have reunited, gleefully plotting their next move.  Scientists and Healers, it's the evil variety already turned to war vs. Aaron/Rachel (and father) struggling for the balance between healing and survival, with the 'naive' Nanites, now evolved into a god-like life form, capable of delivering both.  They heal, raise the dead, stun or incinerate the enemy, and now teleport people (or necessities) --  itself a game-changing power for war or survival. More importantly, they do this on command, but also act on their own.  If you don't want to control or spread enlightenment to the Nanites, you at least don't want them to fall into the hands of your enemy.  Maybe we're supposed to see Aaron's "go away" reaction as recoiling from the horror that he chose killing over disabling, and over healing.

Agree with most of this post with one minor quibble - they don't have the physics-defying power of teleportation. Aaron & his g.f. got to the school by [sleep]walking there. And if horror at killing was Aaron's reaction, he needs to get over it. Every time that's happened (except with his g.f.'s abusive hubby), it's saved the life of either himself or one of the other good guys. He has the ability to influence, if not control, the most awesome power in history. Running away from it is kind of silly. Suck it up, dude.

I hate to say this, but I've kind of forgotten what exactly Aaron did when he "turned them on" back at The Tower. I remember the worry that it might incinerate the world or something, but can't recall exactly what it was they were trying to accomplish. Wasn't the plan to actually turn the little energy draining buggers off, so the power could come back on? Can somebody who's been a better fan of the show help a brother out?

#1,666 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by TalkingRat  /t/1410472/revolution-on-nbc/1650#post_23982084

Maybe we're supposed to see Aaron's "go away" reaction as recoiling from the horror that he chose killing over disabling, and over healing.
That could be part of it. Also consider the conversation he had with his girl friend an episode or two back about faith. Aaron is a science guy. He acts on facts and evidence and he doesn't know what's going on with the nano things so he's, for lack of a better word, afraid. His life revolves around and he's comfortable with concrete, tangible things. He doesn't understand the nano things so he doesn't want to mess with them. One analogy could be thinking of the nano things as pre-alpha software, the author isn't quite sure how it would react under uncontrolled conditions so they wouldn't release that code to the general public. He doesn't know how to control that power so he doesn't want to "go live" with that power.

#1,668 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy  /t/1410472/revolution-on-nbc/1650#post_23982220

I hate to say this, but I've kind of forgotten what exactly Aaron did when he "turned them on" back at The Tower. I remember the worry that it might incinerate the world or something, but can't recall exactly what it was they were trying to accomplish. Wasn't the plan to actually turn the little energy draining buggers off, so the power could come back on?

Your confusion is warranted, as they haven't really explained it to us. You're correct that the plan was to turn the nanites off, but doing so enabled Randall to launch the nukes, so Aaron apparently scrambled to turn the nanites on again as a way to disarm the nukes. (How that would have stopped the nukes, I have no idea. It would have probably disabled their guidance systems, but they would still have detonated on random targets as they fell out of the sky, and the radiation damage would still have covered a wide area.) Apparently in trying to turn the nanites back on, Aaron somehow improved them and made them self-aware, and now they think of him as their daddy.

I'd probably be creeped out and want them to go away, too, but with all of the experiences he's acquired since the show started, you'd think he'd have learned to suck it up by now and would be more practical in trying to harness the new power instead of running from it.

#1,670 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhall1  /t/1410472/revolution-on-nbc/1650#post_23983521

Best line of the show....Monroe after slicing up a couple Patriots..."I'm Batman"

That's what I thought he said, but my wife thought he said, "I'm back, man."

#1,671 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Distorted  /t/1410472/revolution-on-nbc/1650#post_23984455

That's what I thought he said, but my wife thought he said, "I'm back, man."

'
I'M BATMAN!!!!!!!

#1,675 ·
I had hoped that when the Nazi Guy got fried, they would do it a la "Raiders of the Lost Ark" .. and have him melt away ..

Reactions: 73shark
#1,676 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy  /t/1410472/revolution-on-nbc/1620#post_23951662

Quote:
Originally Posted by kromkamp  /t/1410472/revolution-on-nbc/1620#post_23951590

The writing on this show has improved significantly, but the fundamental problem remains - there's not a single interesting or likeable character. Would you really care if any of these characters died?

Miles and, oddly enough, Bass. Plus, I'd miss Charlie's....um....figure.

For me, only Miles. I've missed him ever since Stargate ended.

Everyone else is pretty annoying to me. Charlie, I keep wishing it was always summer and they are in the deep south and really, really hot and humid. All we got last season was that one tub scene, and nothing so far this season.

As for Aaron, I see him as more lazy writing. When they make a character do things that, to me, go against logic, it's seems like they are trying to get somewhere but can't think of a creative way to do it.

In what world would someone who is constantly being chased, hunted, tortured, made to worry every waking moment about their loved ones, throw away the power to protect themselves from all of that?

He had just put a whole group of people to sleep. Why not say, "Help us escape"? "Make everyone within 5 miles pass out? "Turn the power back on"? "Remove Charlie's clothes?

That is the kind of writing that makes me hit the fast forward button.

Sent from my Nexus 7

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.