Old 07-26-2012, 02:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1036 Post(s)
Liked: 791
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_Wadsworth View Post

I still don't like Amelia, but I agree that it's interesting to see a tall guy. I wouldn't go nearly so far as to call him "flabby" though.His body fat percentage is still probably in the mid-low teens.

By "flabby" I didn't mean to imply that he's obese, though he's probably 15-20 lbs overweight. In the all-of-the-men group dance in the "Meet the Top 20" episode he had to dance without a shirt, revealing a soft gut and no torso muscle definition whatsoever. Even he called his upper body "jiggly" and said that he didn't think that America really wanted to see it. The only other guy who wasn't ripped was Nick, but he was very thin.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2012, 02:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:

I actually thought the Cole/Lindsay and Chehon/Whitney dances were the best of the night. But I also enjoyed the two hip-hop and two jazz routines. The ballroom routines were the only ones that fell flat, and they fell pretty hard. Audrey and Matthew were great the first two weeks, but this week's foray into ballrooom was rough.
Then again, whomever decided to create a salsa version of Beethoven's 5th should be shot.

I was sad to see Amber go. She was one of the if not the best contemporary dancers this season. They didn't give her *ANY* airtime this season. She was the one all the other dancers were shocked not to see in the top 20 last season.

I like to look at Lindsay's face, but she should've been ejected, too. I know they want to play up her rivalry with Whitney, but Whitney will be the ballroom dancer to advance this season.

Cyrus is finally the dancer that makes me tolerate Legacy. Legacy was also highly overrated and pimped by the judges. However, Legacy wasn't absolutely painful to watch like Cyrus is.

I have yet to see killer hip-hop dancing this season. The biggest wow moments have been Cole's Paso Doble and a few of the contemporary routines. However, I still have yet to get up and say, "Wow!" during any non-solo routines.

I appreciate the female eye candy this season, but I want to see more "Wow!" moments.
Old 07-27-2012, 07:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 116
some posts deleted...please take it down a notch.

"Retired" AVS Moderator
Feeler: I'm thinking of selling my JTR Triple 8HT's Let me know if you are interested?
For Sale: ACS PlanarTrap (freestanding acoustic panel) ($300/pair)[/B]:
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/209-au...tic-panel.html
Old 07-27-2012, 07:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post

By "flabby" I didn't mean to imply that he's obese, though he's probably 15-20 lbs overweight. In the all-of-the-men group dance in the "Meet the Top 20" episode he had to dance without a shirt, revealing a soft gut and no torso muscle definition whatsoever. Even he called his upper body "jiggly" and said that he didn't think that America really wanted to see it. The only other guy who wasn't ripped was Nick, but he was very thin.

He definitely wasn't proud of his body, and what they showed of it sure didn't resemble what one would think a dancer's body would resemble. But his height really helps them as a couple in regards to visuals. As Mary likes to say, he creates a nice frame for his partner.
Old 07-28-2012, 11:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:

Though I do remember her proclaiming an addiction to "aerial pole dancing" during her audition, I also remember the highly expressive and perfectly executed bit of contemporary ballet she performed for her audition. I remember that she studied at the Joffrey in NY as well Alvin Ailey and worked in a Cirque du Soliel show. IMHO she's the most beautiful girl in the competition and probably the most talented, although she's not getting much opportunity to display that talent with the albatross that is Cyrus hung about her neck. I hope that she and Chehon survive to dance some Desmond Richardson/Dwight Rhoden composition(s) together.

Bingo! That pairing would be such a treat. I look forward each year to a Richardson/Rhoden dance in any form, and that pair could undoubtedly do justice to one. They are my current picks for the top places by performance levels, although audience appeal may well lag their demonstrated abilities, but this year's group has broad quality.

"Without music, life would be a mistake." - Friedrich Nietzsche
Old 07-30-2012, 01:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Hopefully, no more week skipping once live programs resume August 15. I think we're in for another 'double elimination' on that August 15 show. eek.gif
Old 07-30-2012, 02:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by humdinger70 View Post

I think we're in for another 'double elimination' on that August 15 show. eek.gif
The blog entry talks about the the top 14 week but does not mention a double elimination--it did mention the double elimination for the top 20.

Old 07-30-2012, 03:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Should have cut out most of the seemingly endless auditions and gotten the main competition to the halfway point prior to the Olympics beginning.
Old 07-31-2012, 03:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Well, for my part, I would not mind auditions for half the year, pick 50 or so contestants, maybe give them 3 nights or so of two hour shows, don't get rid of anyone until they had been in the bottom three a few times -- have the performance/"competition" part of the show last the rest of the year through December, start over again in January. That is how much I enjoy this show relative to other things that get presented on TV. Apparently it is felt that ratings would not support such a format, so decisions are made.

Of course if the idea is just to pronounce the favorite dancer, just skip the airing of auditions, present maybe ten dancers in a single one hour show, have a one time vote, most votes wins -- there you've done it with a minimum of air time and skipped all the tedious dancing and this show occupying all that unfortunate screen time. Now why we should have to sacrifice this show on the account of the Olympics is a mystery to me, but a choice someone made presumably under ratings considerations -- damn shame if you ask me -- just because they take away my show, does not mean I will be forced to watch the Olympics, only that live TV will get less air in my household this month.

Incidentally, as one measure of the potency of the audition phase: remember that twin brother duo, who could not even hope to qualify for the show based on age? In my view, they provided a very entertaining segment which reflected the charm of this show and value of the audition phase. Jay Leno thought so too, and recently featured "the Ninja Twins" doing a bit, possibly ongoing, on his show.
Old 07-31-2012, 12:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Yeech--I did not enjoy the twins, but to each his own. I don't mind some auditions because we get to see cool performances from people who aren't going to make it to the competition, like the Cyr wheel guy and the "exorcist style" guy, but don't waste my time with untalented losers arguing with the judges and such and if they only have one night I'd like to see them wrap the audition and Vegas coverage up in 4 episodes. The 5 episodes it took this year weren't too bad, but I'm sure that it could have been trimmed to 4 with no loss. (In some previous seasons when they had two nights from the beginning they've gone through all of that in 3 weeks).

Old 08-01-2012, 01:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 24
I see that the HOTP thread claims that Fox is showing a SYTYCD repeat tonight.

I'm a little surprised, because I was under the impression that one of big reasons why there's no SYTYCD DVDs and why they were so zealous about taking down Youtube clips was because they've only licensed the music for a one-time broadcast. I wonder if something has changed and that's why the Youtube clips seem to be staying up and they're able to run a repeat tonight.

When they announced the hiatus for "the event that cannot be named without risking a lawsuit", I wanted to suggest that they should find some intern at Fox to put together a couple of Best of SYTYCD shows and run those instead of just letting everyone take a couple of weeks off and losing interest in the show but I didn't bother because I figured the licensing issue would prevent it.
Old 08-01-2012, 01:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I've never noticed their being zealous about taking down video clips--I've always been able to find clips of my favorite routines with a little effort.

Old 08-01-2012, 04:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Can you imagine the insanity that's going to happen on August 15 when someone does a killer dance that night, but because of the vote - 3 weeks prior - that person is in the bottom three and winds up being cut? rolleyes.gif
Old 08-01-2012, 04:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I've never noticed their being zealous about taking down video clips--I've always been able to find clips of my favorite routines with a little effort.

Go back and look through this thread and you'll see a bunch of comments about it. It seemed to ease up about a year ago.
Old 08-01-2012, 04:42 PM
AVS Special Member

The dilemma - do I watch Olympic events that I already know the outcome of, or dance routines I already know the outcome of? Just checked, apparently they're showing week 2 of live shows which was one of the worst. Olympics it is.
Old 08-08-2012, 12:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

For some reason I thought that the show was just skipping a single week. This was a stupid move on their part as I think that a break this long is likely to cause them a loss of casual viewers. I watch several summer cable shows and none of them is skipping any new episode airings to avoid competing with the Olympics.

Old 08-08-2012, 02:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

For some reason I thought that the show was just skipping a single week. This was a stupid move on their part as I think that a break this long is likely to cause them a loss of casual viewers. I watch several summer cable shows and none of them is skipping any new episode airings to avoid competing with the Olympics.
Cat announced on the last live show (July 25) that the next live program would be August 15.
Old 08-08-2012, 02:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by humdinger70 View Post

Cat announced on the last live show (July 25) that the next live program would be August 15.
Oh, I'm sure it was announce--I just didn't catch it.

Old 08-15-2012, 03:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Mia Michaels was interviewed by the local Fox affiliate yesterday morning. She mentions that tonight's SYTYCD show is some kind of tribute to her work.

Found an article about it too: Mia Michaels takes on an entire episode of SYTYCD choreography
Old 08-15-2012, 06:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

From the description in TiVo's guide I thought it was going to be a retrospective of the best of her work on the show:
Quote:
The finalists perform some of Mia Michaels' greatest routines; guest judges Michael Nunn and Billy Trevitt.

Sounds like there's going to be at least some new stuff.

Airing in Eastern and Central time zones now. I stay away from this thread until after I've seen it, a few hours later here.

Old 08-15-2012, 06:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Oh hey they're back. I thought they cancelled it.
Old 08-15-2012, 07:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 215
I'm sure this has been discussed on the method of voting and eliminating the bottom contestants on the same airing show, if that's correct . You're voting for your favorite dancer and they send home you vote was pretty much for nothing confused.gif Isn't that a bit, or allot I should say unfair????? I feel FOX is pretty much robbing the Voters no? Again don't know if I'm understanding this method of elimination this season.

Rant over

Djoel
Old 08-15-2012, 09:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djoel View Post

I'm sure this has been discussed on the method of voting and eliminating the bottom contestants on the same airing show, if that's correct . You're voting for your favorite dancer and they send home you vote was pretty much for nothing confused.gif Isn't that a bit, or allot I should say unfair????? I feel FOX is pretty much robbing the Voters no? Again don't know if I'm understanding this method of elimination this season.
Rant over
Djoel

Huh? It's not terribly different than any other season. You vote - whomever doesn't get enough votes is "in danger" and the judges send two of them (or four, this week) packing. So votes don't determine the absolute lowest, but just the bottom 3 for each gender. I wouldn't call that unfair.

I enjoyed the show this week - a couple of the Mia pieces were from before my time and so were new to me. It was also an interesting format with them all dancing "good" pieces in the same genre to allow more comparison between dancers. I was a little surprised that Matthew went home, but I can't argue with keeping George. I definitely agreed with the choices on the female side. We're at the point int he season where I'd be equally happy if any of them won (except Cyrus, and even he looked pretty good this week).
Old 08-15-2012, 11:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Cyrus once again was awful when it required him to actually move. When he's vibrating against the door, his schtick works. The other times the judges were right, he was incredibly outclassed by Eliana yet again. It's like one of them is a dancer and the other is new student. I hope she gets to be free of him now that it's top 10. She deserves much better.

Judges made the right two choices tonight. George is an exceptional dancer, although he's also an exceptional bore when he isnt dancing. I'm sure that's not helping him any.
Old 08-16-2012, 12:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

They determine the three girls and three guys who are in danger of elimination based on their receiving the least votes after the previous week's show (in this case, 3 weeks ago). At the beginning of this week's show, it's already known who those people are, but they all get to perform one more professionally choreographed and produced number which the judges can take into consideration in their decision. In previous seasons with a performance and a results show they didn't get that--they danced once and if they were one of the people receiving the fewest votes after the show they'd dance their solo on the results show; they were kept or eliminated based on one dance and one solo. Now people are eliminated based on two pro choreographed routines and, at the judges discretion, a solo. I think that it's actually more fair.

I am so happy that Eliana will not be dancing with Cyrus next week. She'll be temporarily paired with one of the other male contestants for a routine and with one of the All Stars for another. She'll get to really dance for once. I fully expect Cyrus to be asked to do something difficult and fall on his face next week and be eliminated, now that they've nursed him into the top 10 so that they'll have their obligatory "untrained street-style dancer" on tour.

I probably would have kept Amelia; though I don't like her very much I like her better than Lindsay. Dareian's solo was en fuego esta noche, but George is the better dancer and Matthew seems kind of empty on stage.

Old 08-16-2012, 08:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 215
Quote:

Huh? It's not terribly different than any other season. You vote - whomever doesn't get enough votes is "in danger" and the judges send two of them (or four, this week) packing. So votes don't determine the absolute lowest, but just the bottom 3 for each gender. I wouldn't call that unfair.
quote]

Quote:

They determine the three girls and three guys who are in danger of elimination based on their receiving the least votes after the previous week's show (in this case, 3 weeks ago). At the beginning of this week's show, it's already known who those people are, but they all get to perform one more professionally choreographed and produced number which the judges can take into consideration in their decision. In previous seasons with a performance and a results show they didn't get that--they danced once and if they were one of the people receiving the fewest votes after the show they'd dance their solo on the results show; they were kept or eliminated based on one dance and one solo. Now people are eliminated based on two pro choreographed routines and, at the judges discretion, a solo. I think that it's actually more fair.

OK they ( Producers, judge's ,etc ) already know who's leaving yet you vote for those same people who are in danger of leaving during their performance on the same day they go packing,. Does that sound fair to the voters ?Not that I vote but I can see those poor preteens and teens, broken heart.

Djoel
Old 08-16-2012, 08:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
I remember not only every dance from last night, but also the moments that each dancer talked about.

I can't get that Mercy song out of my head now.

Randi was never sexier than the butt dance. Amelia was no where close to her in that one.

The last dance with Lindsay and Cole was the best of the night. A few close ups of Cole's face I told my wife he is freaky looking.

My wife said they need to do a Wade Robson night. We think Ramalama is the best group number ever.

HEY, you viewing dumbasses!

NOW!
NEW!
ALL NEW!

(insert name of show here)
NEXT!
8/9 PM ET
TUESDAY!
NEXT WEEK!
IN 2 WEEKS!

My Samsung 55" D8000 LED-3D tv settings.
Old 08-16-2012, 10:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by mx6bfast View Post

I remember not only every dance from last night, but also the moments that each dancer talked about.
I can't get that Mercy song out of my head now.
Randi was never sexier than the butt dance. Amelia was no where close to her in that one.
The last dance with Lindsay and Cole was the best of the night. A few close ups of Cole's face I told my wife he is freaky looking.
My wife said they need to do a Wade Robson night. We think Ramalama is the best group number ever.

I thought that the entire show was a very bad misfire. There is no way that this group was going to match. let alone surpass the original dancers doing what became iconic numbers in this show's history. Add to that Nigel's constantly reminding everyone of that and his absurd quiz questions to then kids and it just ended up bring a mess. I liked Cole and Lindsey but they were nowhere close to the intensity of Kayla and the sheer malevolence of Kapuno. Cole's spin on his role was just too quirky for me. He actually looked, at times, like warriors in classic Japanese paintings and it just didn't work for me. I was orry to see Amelia go but ifit came down to her or Lindsey, it was pretty obvious as to who would be saved. As for Cyrus, feh! I have a feeling that, regardless of his inability to dance, the show runners desperately wanted him to be on the tour for box office and "attraction" purposes. It will be interesting to see if, now that his place on the tour has been secured, he sticks.
Djoel likes this.
Old 08-16-2012, 10:29 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

OK they ( Producers, judge's ,etc ) already know who's leaving yet you vote for those same people who are in danger of leaving during their performance on the same day they go packing,. Does that sound fair to the voters ?Not that I vote but I can see those poor preteens and teens, broken heart.
You can't vote for people who've been eliminated. They're become eligible for elimination due to how many votes they got on the previous episode. If they get eliminated, I presume that the system won't accept votes for them after the show. You cannot vote until the show is over in your time zone; no one's voted for them during their performance.

Old 08-16-2012, 10:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal1981 View Post

I thought that the entire show was a very bad misfire. There is no way that this group was going to match. let alone surpass the original dancers doing what became iconic numbers in this show's history.

I totally agree. The people who danced those numbers put their brand on them and they're just not the same danced by another pair.
Quote:
As for Cyrus, feh! I have a feeling that, regardless of his inability to dance, the show runners desperately wanted him to be on the tour for box office and "attraction" purposes. It will be interesting to see if, now that his place on the tour has been secured, he sticks.

I said the same from the beggining:
Quote:

They seemingly have to have an "untrained street dancer" among the contestants and this time the guy really does seem to be completely untrained. They coddle him because at this point he really needs it and they probably want him for the tour so they may protect him into the top 10. He reminds me of Robert Taylor Jr from last season, whose overall mediocre performances (even in Hip-Hop, his supposed specialty) I believe dragged Miranda Maleski off the show with him. In Cyrus' case, I think he's the only street-style specialist, which gives him an advantage because the judges will want to keep him if at all possible.

Now that he's on tour, I think the kid gloves will be off and he'll get some contemporary routine next week, utterly fail, get harshly scolded by the judges and eliminated. Clown time is over rolleyes.gif. Hopefully he doesn't take whichever unlucky girl gets paired with him out along with him.