"So You Think You Can Dance" Season 9 on FOXHD - Page 19 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #541 of 577 Old 09-13-2012, 01:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 385
The truth about this season is there were very few standout performances this season. Cole, for me, was the best performer of the group. Cyrus improved the most this season. For all the criticism for dances being simplified for him I saw a lot of that this season for a lot of dancers. I don't think it is a coincidence most of the standout moments this season came from the All-Star section of season.

I thought Cheon had the strongest night if you discount the silly Ballet routine where he spent most of his time spinning Eliana. Eliana and Tiffany had one of the most unsexy "sexy" routines I have seen on the show. It really lacked a healthy dose of sultry which may have been the concession to Tiffany's comfort level. Or they could have tried to put too many moves in instead of slowing things down.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 577 Old 09-13-2012, 04:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 106
The thing about Cyrus is I don't think he's very good at whatever that robot thing is that he does. It just doesn't look very hard. Compare Cyrus with the guy who danced to Evanescence and dropped out because he couldn't handle the choreography. I thought what HE did was more impressive and interesting.
post #543 of 577 Old 09-13-2012, 07:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by spid View Post

The truth about this season is there were very few standout performances this season. Cole, for me, was the best performer of the group. Cyrus improved the most this season. For all the criticism for dances being simplified for him I saw a lot of that this season for a lot of dancers. I don't think it is a coincidence most of the standout moments this season came from the All-Star section of season.
+1
Quote:

I thought Cheon had the strongest night if you discount the silly Ballet routine where he spent most of his time spinning Eliana.

Visually you might not appreciate it from your TV. However, it is *VERY* challenging to do what he did. That was professional company level dancing. They didn't dance the black swan routine from "Swan Lake". But, they did some serious dancing. My wife was unimpressed. I've seen that routine many times in different cities. What they did was very impressive.
Quote:

Eliana and Tiffany had one of the most unsexy "sexy" routines I have seen on the show. It really lacked a healthy dose of sultry which may have been the concession to Tiffany's comfort level.
I wasn't looking at little Tiffany. That was a woman's routine made for pole dance instructor Eliana! My wife yelled at me and told me to calm down quite a few times during that dance eek.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by barth2k View Post

The thing about Cyrus is I don't think he's very good at whatever that robot thing is that he does. It just doesn't look very hard. Compare Cyrus with the guy who danced to Evanescence and dropped out because he couldn't handle the choreography. I thought what HE did was more impressive and interesting.
I agree that the "exorcist" guy had a better solo than Cyrus. However, Cyrus at least tried. I was thoroughly disappointed with the young men that quit. At least try.
post #544 of 577 Old 09-15-2012, 04:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
In order to not offend 2 people by quoting them all I will say is if you can't take a harmless joke, then I'm sorry that you are upset by it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by barth2k View Post

Cyrus's solo was the only one I have watched in the past few weeks, and last week's sucked IMHO. Either I've gotten used to his style of dance or he just didn't try as hard this time. I think more the latter. I think his Vegas solo was better.

Twitch is ripped.

HEY, you viewing dumbasses!

NOW!
NEW!
ALL NEW!

(insert name of show here)
NEXT!
8/9 PM ET
TUESDAY!
NEXT WEEK!
IN 2 WEEKS!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #545 of 577 Old 09-15-2012, 06:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked: 601
Quote:
Originally Posted by mx6bfast View Post

In order to not offend 2 people by quoting them all I will say is if you can't take a harmless joke, then I'm sorry that you are upset by it.

Not offended or upset exactly, just really, really annoyed. People quoting long posts in order to respond briefly to a single statement piss me off. I hate scrolling for pages past something that I've already seen and it breaks the flow of the conversation when you have to scroll back over pages worth of repeated stuff to review previous comments. If I want to insert a picture or video or large table inline, I always encase it in [SPOILER] tags so that people who aren't interested aren't assaulted by it.

Just a knee-jerk reaction to a (very strong) pet peeve. I unblocked you.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
" -- hookbill
post #546 of 577 Old 09-18-2012, 08:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 50
The only girl that should have won did, and the only guy that should never have won didn't. And all is right with the world.
post #547 of 577 Old 09-18-2012, 09:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyehill View Post

The only girl that should have won did, and the only guy that should never have won didn't. And all is right with the world.

I would have been okay with Tifany and Cyrus winning, but I vastly preferred the outcome we got instead. It was quite surprising to me on the boys' side because the whole show seemed a build-up for Cyrus to win (3 anumation routines in the night, his with Twitch as the last). This makes up for Russel winning over Jakob in season 6! (Unless, of course, you are Jakob.)

That was quite an entertaining show. They picked good routines to re-show and I liked the new ones. The only thing they (still) need to work on is what to do after the winner is announced. After the judges blather for 2 minutes about their "favorite" piece, the winner of the whole shebang gets 5 seconds and no words.
post #548 of 577 Old 09-18-2012, 11:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I am quite simply shocked. Although I wanted Eliana and Chehon to win, I fully expected that Tiffany and Cyrus would, given that neither landed in the bottom all season. Tiffany was deserving (I much preferred Eliana, but it wouldn't have bothered me had Tiffany won), but Cyrus definitely did not deserve the win, given that he was never more than just OK in any of his performances and pretty bad in many of them. I thought that since his admittedly appealing personality had gotten him to the finale that it would have gotten him crowned the winner as well, travesty though it would have been. Chehon is a magnificently skilled dancer but a bit of a piece of dry toast personality-wise and I didn't think that he had any real chance despite all of the great performances he turned in. (I'm also surprised that all of the praise that Nigel heaped on Eliana and Chehon didn't cause a backlash against them).

I'm happy cool.gif.

"
" -- hookbill
post #549 of 577 Old 09-19-2012, 11:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member

TV.com's recap of the finale had this hillarious animated GIF, with the comment, "I think we all kind of expected Eliana would take it, but I don't think ANY of us expected that she would also dress like a hooker and fart a firework":

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
SYTYCD-Finale_firework.gif

biggrin.gif. The outfit was a strange choice which I'm sure was made for her by the showrunners.

They also had these great images of the contestants' reactions at the exact moment of the announcement:

SYTYCD-Finale_1.jpg

SYTYCD-Finale_2.jpg

"Dammit! There go my plans for the prize money mad.gif".

I'm surprised that there's not more chatter about this this morning. Where's spyder's bitter and vitriolic take on Eliana's win so that we, her fans, can gloat smile.gif?

"
" -- hookbill
post #550 of 577 Old 09-19-2012, 01:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 192

My take is it was a wonderful season and having Cyrus around for all it of it made it that much better. Of course a better dancer could have replaced him of which he more than likely would have been voted off during the way. I enjoy how the contestants grow (the audience's fondness for them) throughout the season and looking back at the earlier seasons the show has really matured. To a large degree there are no losers as the winner's prize isn't that big or important (career defining). Such as your finishing position appears to have little to do with your future success.

| 
|
|
|
post #551 of 577 Old 09-19-2012, 01:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Cyrus can now return to the set of his TV show in which they combine the A-Team and Miami Vice.
post #552 of 577 Old 09-19-2012, 01:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 23
So both Eliana and Chehon ended up getting job offers form dance troupes before the season was even over.

The offer to Eliana is no surprise to me. Choreographers love Gumby-like dancers that they can bend into unusual positions and Eliana has that in spades. I knew Eliana was flexible, but I didn't really appreciate how much until that pole dance routine with Tiffany where it was startling how much more back hyper-extension and extension in the splits that Eliana has compared to Tiffany.
post #553 of 577 Old 09-19-2012, 02:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac The Knife View Post

I knew Eliana was flexible, but I didn't really appreciate how much until that pole dance routine with Tiffany where it was startling how much more back hyper-extension and extension in the splits that Eliana has compared to Tiffany.

If you liked that, see the aerial pole dancing portion of her LA audition package, here biggrin.gif. (I tried including the video inline (wrapped in [SPOILER] tags of course smile.gif), but the [VIDEO] tag defuses the YouTube timecode qualifier rolleyes.gif).

I'd agree with you though--her specialty, contemporary ballet, does require amazing flexibility, as exemplified in this piece performed by Desmond Richardson and a female dancer from his company on the show:

That sustained "seated" figure en pointe looks painful eek.gif.

"
" -- hookbill
post #554 of 577 Old 09-19-2012, 07:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_Wadsworth View Post

I would have been okay with Tifany and Cyrus winning, but I vastly preferred the outcome we got instead. It was quite surprising to me on the boys' side because the whole show seemed a build-up for Cyrus to win (3 anumation routines in the night, his with Twitch as the last). This makes up for Russel winning over Jakob in season 6! (Unless, of course, you are Jakob.)
That was quite an entertaining show. They picked good routines to re-show and I liked the new ones. The only thing they (still) need to work on is what to do after the winner is announced. After the judges blather for 2 minutes about their "favorite" piece, the winner of the whole shebang gets 5 seconds and no words.

Please don't compare Cyrus to Russell. Cyrus couldn't even dance hip-hop outside of his limited genre. Russell did an ok job with jazz and contemporary during his season.

Yes, Jakob was great. But Russell was no slouch.
post #555 of 577 Old 09-19-2012, 07:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Personally I think Tiffany and Cole shoulda won.

HEY, you viewing dumbasses!

NOW!
NEW!
ALL NEW!

(insert name of show here)
NEXT!
8/9 PM ET
TUESDAY!
NEXT WEEK!
IN 2 WEEKS!

post #556 of 577 Old 09-20-2012, 05:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 184
I think Tifanny should of won hands down, but I also agree that Cheon should of won, he was one of my favorites from the start.

post #557 of 577 Old 09-20-2012, 06:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 385
I was surprised last night how many routines Tiffany was in that I enjoyed. I said it from the beginning these girls would have a hard time since so many looked and danced alike. I liked the week separation between the final 'performance" show and the results. Over the last couple of years I thought the finalist were put under too much stress trying to prepare for what could be six or seven routines over the space of two days. In the past the performance part of the show suffered because of the that strain. Cheon might have benefited the most from the performance show.

I have no problem with the winners, but I wouldn't have had a problem with the winners being flipped. I still think Cole was the best performer on the show. The decision to take a breake during the Olympics kind of killed the momentum of the show and the casting of the girls did not really help that much. Maybe it was the change of voting formats, but there was never a "top couple" this year.
post #558 of 577 Old 09-20-2012, 08:58 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 18
Of the final four left standing, I am quite happy with the two winners. Like many others, though, I found this to be the weakest season of SYTYCD to date. Long break for the Olympics, lack of performance show, no real super-duper outstanding dance routines for us - all leads to a rather lack luster year. Given the weak ratings and lack of buzz, I am a little worried that the show might be on it's last legs.
post #559 of 577 Old 09-20-2012, 09:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by allargon View Post

Please don't compare Cyrus to Russell. Cyrus couldn't even dance hip-hop outside of his limited genre. Russell did an ok job with jazz and contemporary during his season.
Yes, Jakob was great. But Russell was no slouch.

True enough, although as we covered that season Russel had quite extensive formal training. The comparison was intended more as Chehon to Jakob.
post #560 of 577 Old 09-20-2012, 09:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac The Knife View Post

So both Eliana and Chehon ended up getting job offers form dance troupes before the season was even over.
The offer to Eliana is no surprise to me. Choreographers love Gumby-like dancers that they can bend into unusual positions and Eliana has that in spades. I knew Eliana was flexible, but I didn't really appreciate how much until that pole dance routine with Tiffany where it was startling how much more back hyper-extension and extension in the splits that Eliana has compared to Tiffany.
That's why Nigel was so flustered and couldn't offer a critique. Probably got a rise from his "pole". biggrin.giftongue.gifbiggrin.giftongue.gifbiggrin.gif
post #561 of 577 Old 10-01-2012, 10:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 110
post #562 of 577 Old 10-02-2012, 12:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Was Cyrus at the reception "dancing" awkwardly to a beat only he heard?
post #563 of 577 Old 10-02-2012, 04:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSperber View Post

Cat just got married in Rome!

Good for her, beautiful woman with the body shape of a 2 X 4. smile.gif

post #564 of 577 Old 10-02-2012, 12:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyehill View Post

Was Cyrus at the reception "dancing" awkwardly to a beat only he heard?

Dude--it's over. Chillax and let it go smile.gif.

"
" -- hookbill
post #565 of 577 Old 10-02-2012, 01:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 181
I still haven't watched the finale (out of town that week). Yet I've somehow managed to NOT find out who the winners were. Apparently some are displeased, that much I've figured out. biggrin.gif

Mourning the disappearing usage of the -ly suffix. Words being cut-off before they've had a chance to fully form, left incomplete, with their shoelaces untied and their zippers undone. If I quote your post (or post in your thread) without comment, please check your zipper.
post #566 of 577 Old 10-02-2012, 01:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruelInventions View Post

Apparently some are displeased, that much I've figured out. biggrin.gif

No matter who won, some would be displeased. However, some were already displeased by who made it to the finale and apparently still are biggrin.gif.

"
" -- hookbill
post #567 of 577 Old 12-29-2012, 12:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 23
So, I was watching a special about the Joffrey Ballet Company on PBS last night and was surprised to see Adam Sklute who I recognized as the director of Ballet West from the CW show Breaking Pointe. Adam was a dancer for Joffrey (which I didn't know which is why I was surprised to see him).

Anyway seeing Adam got me wondering about what's going on with Breaking Pointe. They announced back in September(?) that the series was renewed for a second season. But, the CW has removed the Breaking Pointe webpage and I can't find any information about what's going on. Has anyone heard anything since the announcement in Sept.?

PS: There were some hotties in the Joffrey company in it's early years! biggrin.gif
post #568 of 577 Old 12-29-2012, 10:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

On the topic of "SYTYCD alumni sightings on TV", I noticed Alex Wong in a dance class number at NYADA on "Glee".
post #569 of 577 Old 12-30-2012, 10:33 PM

Liked: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSperber View Post

On the topic of "SYTYCD alumni sightings on TV", I noticed Alex Wong in a dance class number at NYADA on "Glee".

Yep. Both he and Melanie were in that number. smile.gif (Neither were given much camera time, so easy to miss either or even both. frown.gif)
post #570 of 577 Old 02-28-2013, 08:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

So how is it that more than a month has gone by and I've only now just discovered that TWITCH AND ALLISON ARE ENGAGED TO BE MARRIED!!!

Saw a bit on "Access Hollywood" tonight, from the set of a Microsoft ad they were both filming back in January. Apparently they've been a couple since the wrap party at the end of SYTYCD7.

Congratulations!
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page