post #181 of 577 Old 06-14-2012, 11:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked: 549
Quote:
Originally Posted by spyder696969 View Post

I'm pretty sure it's 181 from ALL FOUR cities. If not, that means that somewhere around 724 dancers would go to Vegas! eek.gif
Yes--I rethought that (and looked up the number of starters in a former Vegas callback biggrin.gif) and deleted the post, though apparently not before it was seen.

Wasn't it five cities? NYC, Dallas, LA, Atlanta & Salt Lake? (NYC & Dallas shared a show).

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
" -- hookbill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 577 Old 06-14-2012, 12:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I fear to look at the ratings for last night's show after that 10 minute segment of Space Cadet Girl who was both uninteresting as a person and a bad dancer. I could hear remote controls all over the country changing channels to anything else.

OTOH, last night had one of the best moments of all the audition shows. The "spit take" that Adam did when the girl said she was going to do Krump was a classic. biggrin.gif
post #183 of 577 Old 06-14-2012, 12:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac The Knife View Post

I fear to look at the ratings for last night's show after that 10 minute segment of Space Cadet Girl who was both uninteresting as a person and a bad dancer. I could hear remote controls all over the country changing channels to anything else.
OTOH, last night had one of the best moments of all the audition shows. The "spit take" that Adam did when the girl said she was going to do Krump was a classic. biggrin.gif

Down 4 percent to 2.4 from last week. Still won the night with those bad numbers. Lots of people not watching TV apparently.
post #184 of 577 Old 06-14-2012, 02:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:

I watched delayed and happily skipped through that section. Although I was shocked how many skips it took to get past spae girl! In general, I have thoguht they past couple weeks they did a good job of focussing on the good dancers and just relegating the bad ones to a montage. Not so much with that one.

I alos enjoyed Adam's reaction to the krumper. That has to be one of the most enjoyable parts of the auditions for the judges - never knowing what you are going to get. Preying Mantis dancer was another one that when he walked on stage and talked about his dance you expected somethign pretty bad, but were then pleasantly surprised when he actually had talent.
post #185 of 577 Old 06-21-2012, 01:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member

We're finally getting to the show that I enjoy, these kids doing professionally choreographed routines that aren't their own prepared solos (except for the occasional "dance for their lives").

Looks like that one popper is going to survive--they have to have at least one "untrained street dancer" in the cast (this one quite believably untrained, unlike some--*cough*Twitch*cough*Joshua*cough*--excuse me biggrin.gif). He's got an interesting personality, if a little weepy, and the stretched piercings in his ears give him an interesting look. If he does make it on I don't expect him to get far, but you never know; there have certainly been others who rose to the challenge in the past. Otherwise, the two cute blonde ballroom girls survived the week, which I was hoping for, as well as "silent movie girl" and the Eliana Girard, the curly haired cutie who's worked for Cirque du Soleil in their homage-to-Elvis Vegas show. Also the Hawaiian ballet dancer's still in. I don't recall seeing the Asian guy who incorporated martial arts moves into his solo, but he was somebody I wanted to see make it.

I'm stoked for the top 20 reveal next week smile.gif.

"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
" -- hookbill
post #186 of 577 Old 06-21-2012, 04:28 AM
AVS Special Member

I was wondering if the Cirque dancer made it - thanks for the confirmation. I think I saw the martial arts dancer leaving, but I am not certain.
post #187 of 577 Old 06-21-2012, 05:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_Wadsworth View Post

I was wondering if the Cirque dancer made it - thanks for the confirmation. I think I saw the martial arts dancer leaving, but I am not certain.
Yeah he's gone.

HEY, you viewing dumbasses!

NOW!
NEW!
ALL NEW!

(insert name of show here)
NEXT!
8/9 PM ET
TUESDAY!
NEXT WEEK!
IN 2 WEEKS!

post #188 of 577 Old 06-21-2012, 08:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 179
NOOOOOOOOOOO not Applehan the Burlesque dancer!!!!! mad.gif

post #189 of 577 Old 06-21-2012, 09:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 59
It was clearly edited carefully and for maximum impact but the "jidges" were so invested in the blonde girl (Alexis?) that it got to be tiresome. And "shocking" as I'm sure it was she finally stepped up and made it through. The ballet dancer from Switzerland was amazing in his solo but for me the highlight of the night was "1920s Silent Film Girl' doing her solo to Elmer Bernstein's brilliant music from To Kill a Mockingbird. Her choice of that music was perfect and her dance interpretation of it was as good as anything that I can recall seeing throughout the show's history. Her acting ability in selling the routine was breathtaking.
post #190 of 577 Old 06-21-2012, 12:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 47
I'm happy. Janelle, the belly dancer, is still there (in the 35 remaining to be cut to the Top 20)!! biggrin.gif
post #191 of 577 Old 06-21-2012, 01:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal1981 View Post

It was clearly edited carefully and for maximum impact but the "jidges" were so invested in the blonde girl (Alexis?) that it got to be tiresome. And "shocking" as I'm sure it was she finally stepped up and made it through. The ballet dancer from Switzerland was amazing in his solo but for me the highlight of the night was "1920s Silent Film Girl' doing her solo to Elmer Bernstein's brilliant music from To Kill a Mockingbird. Her choice of that music was perfect and her dance interpretation of it was as good as anything that I can recall seeing throughout the show's history. Her acting ability in selling the routine was breathtaking.

I found the Alexis storyline tiring, but it seems to happen every season. "Your group was fantastic! but we're going to pick on one of you because you weren't fantastic enough." Meanwhile, they let the popper slide through because he's unique.

Probably because it was ballet, bu tthe last dancer definitely reminded me of Alex Wong. Here's hoping he's as successful, but less injury-plagued.

I was happy to see the "Silent Film Girl" do her solo. I wasn't liking her after the audition rounds, but that solo won me over.

I'm also glad the belly dancer made it so far. If they are promoting uniqueness, she's unlike anything the show has had before.

Poor Danielle, though. I wasn't the biggest fan and they must have already partially written her off before the injury. But that was a rough way to go.
post #192 of 577 Old 06-21-2012, 01:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Yeah--I think all of that Alexis drama foreshadows them choosing her for the top 20. I personally thought they should have chosen her over Ryan last season. She does seem to have a hard time expressing emotion through her dance, though.

"
" -- hookbill
post #193 of 577 Old 06-21-2012, 01:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal1981 View Post

Yeah, the constant Alexa drama got tiresome and consumed such an enormous chunk of broadcasting time that I feel like I'm once again headed to the Final Cut and just barely know a couple of the dancers that have made it this far.

Also agree that Amelia's routine was the highlight of the night, but with a really strange setup. Other than not hitting the breaks and stops as hard as possible, I couldn't see anything wrong with what she did with Sonya's routine. I certainly didn't see anything that justified making her dance for her life, especially compared to others that they just put through. It looked to me like they decided she was getting too cocky and decided to take her down a few notches.

BTW, does anyone know the story behind why we never see Jason Gilkison's partner Peta on SYTYCD. I know they've worked together on a bunch of other jobs, so I'm surprised we haven't seen her.
post #194 of 577 Old 06-21-2012, 02:12 PM

Liked: 123
I'm glad they condensed the worst part of the season into a single show. The false drama was cut to a minimum, at least, but still...

The producers gave a tacit agreement that Vegas week is just plain boring and forgettable TV when they devoted so much time to Alexis.

Maybe next year they should do everyone a favor and either narrow it down to one hour or just skip showing the Vegas round altogether.
post #195 of 577 Old 06-21-2012, 02:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member

For me, Vegas week is about thousand times more interesting than the audition shows, which are 90% composed of repetitive, horribly choreographed audition solos and long, boring stories about people who won't make it any further into the competition (and even about people like those twins who weren't even eligible to compete rolleyes.gif). The thirty-second-skip button on my remote gets a tremendous workout. Vegas is when it starts to get interesting for me and I enjoyed that episode more than anything yet this season. To each his own.

"
" -- hookbill
post #196 of 577 Old 06-21-2012, 02:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Also agree that Amelia's routine was the highlight of the night, but with a really strange setup. Other than not hitting the breaks and stops as hard as possible, I couldn't see anything wrong with what she did with Sonya's routine. I certainly didn't see anything that justified making her dance for her life, especially compared to others that they just put through. It looked to me like they decided she was getting too cocky and decided to take her down a few notches.
Could be but did you notice the judges' reactions to her? Sonya looked she was hypnotized. She was so transfixed on Amelia that she literally didn't blink. Adam was all veklempt, C just stared as did Debbie. I thought that Nigel's No vote and his critique were low rent but he clearly knew that she Amelia was getting through. I can't imagine her not being in the Top 20.
post #197 of 577 Old 06-21-2012, 04:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Zooey Deschanel a judge?

http://www.buddytv.com/articles/so-you-think-you-can-dance/so-you-think-you-can-dance-sea-46205.aspx

Every year I forget there's a thread for this show on here! Not sure how far Cyrus will get but man that guy's moves are next level. He looked a bit weak in the other styles but I'm hoping the potential is there. They gave too much screen time to that Britney Spears wannabe. Can anyone whine for a second shot now and be granted a "dance for your life"? Chehon Wespo-Tschopp's solo = Amazing. That was not human. It didn't look real. How could someone jump that high and do it so effortlessly. eek.gif Agree that way too much time was spent on Alexa. Pulling for her but sheesh, let's get on with it.

The above post is 100% medically accurate

31 Days of Horror:

post #198 of 577 Old 06-22-2012, 05:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post

For me, Vegas week is about thousand times more interesting than the audition shows, which are 90% composed of repetitive, horribly choreographed audition solos and long, boring stories about people who won't make it any further into the competition (and even about people like those twins who weren't even eligible to compete rolleyes.gif). The thirty-second-skip button on my remote gets a tremendous workout. Vegas is when it starts to get interesting for me and I enjoyed that episode more than anything yet this season. To each his own.

I'm with you on this one, Mike. I enjoy seeing the process they go through. And I used the skip button far less than during the audition shows.
post #199 of 577 Old 06-22-2012, 08:19 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 301 Post(s)
Liked: 635
I got pretty excited when I saw my boy L'il C was going to be on the Vegas panel. I geeked myself up for some serious exclamation, elaboration, enunciation, and powerfully profound pontification! But "C" was absent without discourse this week. frown.gif I heard one "Buck!", but it seemed perfunctory (I learned that word from C) and half-hearted. What have they done to C? Was he too overcome by sadness sitting next to Shenkman, awash in the inevitable river of tears? Here's hoping he gets his mojo back by his next appearance. I loves me some C. cool.gif
post #200 of 577 Old 06-22-2012, 09:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

I got pretty excited when I saw my boy L'il C was going to be on the Vegas panel. I geeked myself up for some serious exclamation, elaboration, enunciation, and powerfully profound pontification! But "C" was absent without discourse this week. frown.gif I heard one "Buck!", but it seemed perfunctory (I learned that word from C) and half-hearted. What have they done to C? Was he too overcome by sadness sitting next to Shenkman, awash in the inevitable river of tears? Here's hoping he gets his mojo back by his next appearance. I loves me some C. cool.gif

Ha! Awesome post!

The above post is 100% medically accurate

31 Days of Horror:

post #201 of 577 Old 06-22-2012, 09:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 181
Well, I'm no certainly dance expert but my favorite part of the show is now over. Auditions and Vegas week. Love the discovery phase of the audition process and then the intense boot camp aspect of Vegas week. I don't relate at all to those of you who find these parts weak and boring.

There will be highlights ahead when they get into the pairings and choreography, of course. But I often find myself thinking that too many of the choreographers are used too often, forced to be creative on cue. Or at least for as many times as they are called upon. And that's just not possible. They may have 2-3 very good routines, but then the rest are just ok, if that. And I don't blame them a bit. It would be like telling a painter, "OK.. you gotta month... now give me 8 absolutely incredible paintings! Oh, and btw, you have to use the tools and colors I specify."

I don't fast forward much through auditions and Vegas week, but I'm sure I will be doing so in the weeks ahead.

Mourning the disappearing usage of the -ly suffix. Words being cut-off before they've had a chance to fully form, left incomplete, with their shoelaces untied and their zippers undone. If I quote your post (or post in your thread) without comment, please check your zipper.
post #202 of 577 Old 06-22-2012, 10:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 181
Quote:

Space Cadet Girl? who was this?

Mourning the disappearing usage of the -ly suffix. Words being cut-off before they've had a chance to fully form, left incomplete, with their shoelaces untied and their zippers undone. If I quote your post (or post in your thread) without comment, please check your zipper.
post #203 of 577 Old 06-22-2012, 11:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruelInventions View Post

Space Cadet Girl? who was this?
An auditioner in Salt Lake. I found a little write-up on her, in an episode recap here:
Quote:
We get about 5 minutes of the Loony Lynn show. Lynn is a woman with a buzz cut and huge, dangly earrings who swears she got into dancing because "a force overtook" her and danced her around the room. Yeah, sure. When asked what she does for a living, Lynn replies: "I'm currently unemployed, but I used to be an aerospace engineer." Well, space cadet we can believe.

Lynn's dancing, which, not surprisingly, involves a lot of sweeping arm movements sucks and no, she's not even going to choreography, but home to whatever planet from which she was hatched. The best thing is that as soon as Lynn exits the theater, fun graphics have her disappearing somewhere up into a colorful solar system.
Definitely a segment through which I 30-second-skipped rolleyes.gif.

"
" -- hookbill
post #204 of 577 Old 06-22-2012, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruelInventions View Post

Well, I'm no certainly dance expert but my favorite part of the show is now over. Auditions and Vegas week. Love the discovery phase of the audition process and then the intense boot camp aspect of Vegas week. I don't relate at all to those of you who find these parts weak and boring.
There will be highlights ahead when they get into the pairings and choreography, of course. But I often find myself thinking that too many of the choreographers are used too often, forced to be creative on cue. Or at least for as many times as they are called upon. And that's just not possible. They may have 2-3 very good routines, but then the rest are just ok, if that. And I don't blame them a bit. It would be like telling a painter, "OK.. you gotta month... now give me 8 absolutely incredible paintings! Oh, and btw, you have to use the tools and colors I specify."
I don't fast forward much through auditions and Vegas week, but I'm sure I will be doing so in the weeks ahead.

Discovery. Rawness. Intimacy. These are the things that the audition rounds give us. While the majority of persons probably prefer more polished versions of dance, I find myself drawn to these rounds moreso than the latter ones. In the audtitions, we see these kids stripped of cover and as they truly are, not as merely reduced to a medium for the overworked choreographers to display their latest "vision" and judged (sometimes unfairly) for the lack thereof.

I liken this personal preference to music as well. In the following two examples, the first is a beautiful and deeply personal rendition of a touching song that melts the hearts of all but the most bitter of mankind. The latter is a garish and pretentious auto-tune knockoff that sears the eardrums of humans and sends canines howling for the comfort of any form of respite. Guess which one is more "famous?" I've actually had people tell me that they were "pissed that Dolly ripped off Whitney's song!" rolleyes.gif

post #205 of 577 Old 06-22-2012, 12:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post

Yeah--I think all of that Alexis drama foreshadows them choosing her for the top 20. I personally thought they should have chosen her over Ryan last season. She does seem to have a hard time expressing emotion through her dance, though.

But, those eyes. I love those eyes.
post #206 of 577 Old 06-22-2012, 01:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by domino92024 View Post

But, those eyes. I love those eyes.
Her face is lovely--there's no doubt about that (and her make-up in those close up shots was perfect--so much for spontaneity rolleyes.gif. "Make-up! Touch her up before we give our critique, please" biggrin.gif).

"
" -- hookbill
post #207 of 577 Old 06-22-2012, 07:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Anyone see that Kathryn McCormick has the lead role in the new Step Up movie? The trailer is already online.
post #208 of 577 Old 06-23-2012, 11:26 AM
R11
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by spyder696969 View Post

Discovery. Rawness. Intimacy. These are the things that the audition rounds give us. While the majority of persons probably prefer more polished versions of dance, I find myself drawn to these rounds moreso than the latter ones. In the audtitions, we see these kids stripped of cover and as they truly are, not as merely reduced to a medium for the overworked choreographers to display their latest "vision" and judged (sometimes unfairly) for the lack thereof.

I liken this personal preference to music as well. In the following two examples, the first is a beautiful and deeply personal rendition of a touching song that melts the hearts of all but the most bitter of mankind. The latter is a garish and pretentious auto-tune knockoff that sears the eardrums of humans and sends canines howling for the comfort of any form of respite. Guess which one is more "famous?" I've actually had people tell me that they were "pissed that Dolly ripped off Whitney's song!" rolleyes.gif

An ironic use of the term pretentious here biggrin.gif. I'd be interested to see some reference indicating "autotune" was used in Houston's version. Do you happen to have any? BTW, not particularly a Houston fan, and don't really care much about pitch, perfect or otherwise, myself (have always enjoyed Neil Young for instance wink.gif).

ron
post #209 of 577 Old 06-23-2012, 01:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Inasmuch as Houston's rendition of the song was released on the soundtrack of The Bodyguard in July of 1992 and the original auto-tune software became available in 1997, I don't think that it was used in that recording. (Apparently the first notable use of it in a recording was by Cher on her song "Believe". It's relatively popular these days in live performances, though many singers are on record as refusing to ever use it). The young Whitney Houston had amazing range and control.

"
" -- hookbill
post #210 of 577 Old 06-23-2012, 05:39 PM

Maybe no auto-tune, but there's a HUGE difference between Dolly's pure version (where at one point we clearly hear her voice start to break) and Whitney's "studio-enhanced" version.
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page