Soccer besides Olympics and World Cup - What else should I watch? - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 35 Old 06-18-2012, 08:55 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Just want to correct something here.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by hernanu View Post

Spring, Summer and Fall:

US Major League Soccer - ESPN2, local programming stations and Telemundo (I believe).

MLS is actually on NBC Sports Network, the ESPN family (ESPN, ESPN 2, ESPN3.com, and ESPN Deportes), Galavison, and finally a few on Telefutura. There's also MLS Direct Kick on cable/satellite providers for the regionally broadcasted out of market games. DirecTV carries nearly every game in its original broadcasted HD format (rather if be 720p or 1080i) with some games actually coming from the truck feed so during halftime instead of ads you get to see them preparing the highlight clips or shots of the stadium... or a blank screen. They also have an online version of Direct Kick called MLS Live which offers HD quality streams for games along with ondemand replay of all games and condensed versions of games if you want to see the major plays of the game in under 15 minutes.

There is also "lower division" leagues in the USA. I'll start with NASL (Division 2) which has all of eight teams. The vast majority of the games are available for streaming online for free at the league's site. Quality varies depending on the team. For instance the Minnesota Stars FC broadcast is decent by NASL standards. Don't expect HD quality... expect more like VHS level quality but sometimes in 16x9 format. I haven't followed the two other lower tier leagues in the USA as in USL (Division 3) and PDL (Division 4) so I can't comment much on them.

Demolition Man
Fan of New England/Boston & Minnesota teams!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 35 Old 06-20-2012, 03:57 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm really enjoying Euro 2012. This summer will be remembered as the summer I discovered soccer. I wish I would have been following this exciting sport all along. But come July, there's no soccer of this level to watch unless I shell out more money for cable. I already pay like $150...
post #33 of 35 Old 06-20-2012, 09:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I'm noticing on the Red Bulls at Whitecaps FC MLS match at BC Place they have annoying animated video ribbon walls from goal to goal faceing the main action cam.
It's very distracting on TV and I would think for the players. Why it's allowed?
Do any other leagues allow animated video ads on the field level?

aafFtfYN.jpg aatjFcWa.jpg aatHYAke.jpg
post #34 of 35 Old 06-20-2012, 11:44 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by icemannyr View Post

I'm noticing on the Red Bulls at Whitecaps FC MLS match at BC Place they have annoying animated video ribbon walls from goal to goal faceing the main action cam.
It's very distracting on TV and I would think for the players. Why it's allowed?
Do any other leagues allow animated video ads on the field level?
aafFtfYN.jpg aatjFcWa.jpg aatHYAke.jpg

Pretty much every league has those animated video ads on the field. Soccer stadiums usually don't have advertisements plastered all over the stadium like NFL stadiums do for example. Those animated boards are what teams use for advertising money. Plus there are no commercials during soccer games except for halftime.
post #35 of 35 Old 06-21-2012, 08:17 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
That New York/Vancouver game looks pretty nice on DirecTV last night (via Direct Kick). Wish I could say the same about some other games especially the LA/Real Salt Lake one which looked very soft and fuzzy. In fact I wouldn't be shocked since it was the Real Salt Lake broadcast of the game that it was at best 480p. I remember from years past their broadcasts typically weren't as good compared to some of the other MLS teams.

One thing I do find interesting is seeing which games DirecTV just signal copies from the RSN to the Direct Kick channel and which ones are taken from say the truck's sat feed at the game. The Real Salt Lake game was from the truck's sat feed since there was no ads during half time. In fact for a few seconds after going to ad break you could hear the announcers communicating on what's happening for the next segment of half time then someone would kill the audio.

Another interesting example by the way is how the New England Revolution games are handled. On DirecTV (and Direct Kick in general) the feed they use for the Revs home games is typically the Comcast Sports New England feed complete with ads during halftime and the annoying ESPN style ticker at the bottom. However on MLS Live they apparently are using the truck's sat feed since the ticker on the bottom is completely missing. Too bad Direct Kick doesn't use that same feed that MLS Live uses. Will say even with the the ticker the video/audio quality is a bit better on DirectTV/Direct Kick compared to MLS Live. The framerate looks to be a bit higher and the sound has a bit more of a kick to it compared to MLS Live.

Demolition Man
Fan of New England/Boston & Minnesota teams!
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page